Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,382 members, 7,864,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:28 AM

Fallen Heroes By Ihegwuagu. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Fallen Heroes By Ihegwuagu. (562 Views)

Top 8 Greatest Famous Nigerian Heroes And Heroines Writers / A Poem For The Fallen Heroes - Superheroes / Fallen Angel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fallen Heroes By Ihegwuagu. by Tycoflu(m): 11:32pm On Sep 23, 2015
We are expecting you tomorrow" was the last thing he said before hanging the phone. Getting a direct call from the office of the GOC of my Division could only mean one thing and am certain will be confirmed the next day.
I have looked forward to this day since the inception of the war against the religious radicals.

It all started as a struggle for the entrenchment of their absurd religious belief on their neighbors which was not taken seriously because of the freedom of speech and association in the country. Gradually they grew in number thanks to the high rate of poverty and illiteracy within the religion.

Few years down the line, suicide bombing once alien in the country became a daily occurrence as things gradually fell apart since the center could not curtail their excess. They kept on gaining more territory as deserted towns with burnt houses marked with bullet holes and streets littered with charred human bodies became a normal site on television stations. With each of their strike leaving a deep scare in the soul and body of their victims, they craved for more blood as they gradually turned on their own.

The elite team was set up, drawing up the best from the different Divisions all over the country. Their missions were simple yet suicidal; serving as an advance team for the infantry during major raids. Nothing could be as deadly as venturing into an enemy's territory, unsure of what to encounter but when such enemy has no value for his life; fast tracking their desire becomes the only way to live for the next day.

"Please don't go" she cried out, holding me tightly as the van drove into the compound. I have always witness this sight for months; mother and her soldier-son locked up in embrace with her refusing to let go as she casts and wish away the angel of death hovering round her own.

"Why can't they send their own children" she yelled, refusing to move away from the door.

"I will be back mum" I tried to assure her, drying her tearful eyes as I kissed her forehead. Though the chances are minimal but leaving her devastated will not be the mood this our last day together will end like.

"But Sam, Uche and Femi never came back" her words echoed in my ears as the truck bumped up and down the rough road leading to the base. It’s almost 6 days now since we started combing the area in preparation for the final onslaught to reclaim the community from the militants.

I came to appreciate the importance of an extra minute to be alive as we leave for operations at night; doing everything possible to see the light of the next morning. It was very simple, killed to be alive or get bagged if the reverse is the case.

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" shouted the little angels gathered at the garage gate. Their joy knew no bound on sighting the truck. Running as fast as their little legs could carry them, they followed the truck, dancing and waving their hands in the air. I could not hold back the tears as they rushed to hug each other, grateful to the Divine for the extra hours to be together once more.

"We are to report to the chief's office by 5pm" said the team Commander as he headed to his tent worn out and exhausted from the night’s activity.
Capt. Ahmed was so different and lived a simple life. Always after the welfare of his team before himself.

“The team is a family and must stay together to survive” was his favorite quote.

Most officers in his rank never neared the front line for once, each bribing their way to stay far away as possible. Dying for the nation was the ultimate price we pledged to pay but when lost heroes are forgotten quickly and their families left at the mercy of poverty and sorrow, the living loss focus and shy away from the noble act when opportunity present itself.

"Leut. Charles you and your team will precede to the west once we entered the compound"

"Sgt. Bode, you guys to east"

"Sgt. Ade you stay close to the car and call for reinforcement when needed"

"Sgt. Musa, Sgt. Chukwuma and others will proceed to the main entrance with me"

"We approach the building with caution and prepare for the unexpected"

" May Allah keep us safe"

Capt. Ahmed finally said as the engine of the truck came to life"
The mission was sudden and a week earlier than the planned date. Based on intelligence gathering for months, the heavily fortified building was believed to be the factory used by the militants for mass production of IEDs and storage of weapons. It was located in the middle of a thick forest about 4 hour from the base.

The instructions were straight forward; comb the area for mines, capture the 3 experts or blow up the plant and ensure no survival if evacuation fails. The success of the mission was very strategic in ending the war.

All were mute as the married ones bid their families farewell before we venture d into the night ready to stare death in its face once more and either come out victorious or the victim.

"How close are we" asked Capt. Ahmed as he checked his watch.

"About an hour Sir" replied Sgt. Ade as the truck slowly descend the hilly terrain. The night was very cold as the moon illuminated the narrow path.

The cold wind of the night blew across the tresses filling it with the freshness of its green leaves. Everything felt at peace yet the zone was ravaged with war, hunger and sorrow.

The number of IDPs camps kept on increasing as more and more people ran to it for shelter and succor. I closed my eyes for some minutes in my routine meditation, calling on the Divine to spare me till the next morning.

I was brought back to reality when the truck stopped suddenly. We all reached for our guns; with fingers on the trigger, pointing in different direction and ready to open fire .

"What is it Sgt." shouted Capt. Ahmed, after some minutes of silence.

"The engine is not coming up Sir" replied Sgt. Ade after numerous attempts to kick the truck to life.

"How far are we Sgt." asked the Capt. as we jumped down.

"Few minutes Sir" Ade answered checking our location from the map.

"We move by feet, let's go boys! " motion the Capt. as he took the lead.

Trekking to a mission was the last thing on my mind when we left the base.

"I have seen worse boys" said the Capt. sensing the frustration and anger with us.

"Resentment is not the best feeling now”.

“Channeling it on those bastards will go a long way to help " he added before bursting into laughter.

We marched on for few minutes before the Capt. Stopped suddenly.

"Allahu Akbar !" "Allahu Akbar!" shouted voices few distance away from us before shots of gun fire rained from all sides.

" Take cover! " shouted the Capt. Ahmed as he crunched down while I and few others headed back to the truck.

" Lord please not tonight! " I prayed as I saw the multitude, with guns clutched in their hands heading in our direction.

"Allahu Akbar!" They shouted as they got closer. All I could feel was the thirst for blood in their voice and willingness to die for their course.

"Engage! Fire!" shouted the Captain as they drew closer to us.

Bullets started raining heavily, flying in all directions as they sent the targets to the world beyond. The lucky ones wailed in pain as the bullets missed their targets, piercing their arms and other parts, stopping them momentary as they bled to death gradually.

The exchange was so intense and lasted for hours. My arm felt numb from time to time and I almost got hit by bullets of few occasions. Their numerical strength has always being an advantage to them during any encounter. They kept coming, shooting aimless and are never in short of weapons and ammunition.

Running out of bullet was my last wish as the Captain. barked for us to retreat. With half of the team already down and the remaining ones out of bullet. Retreating to the bush seemed the only way to hold on as we await the reinforcement team arrival.

"Call for backed up!" shouted the Capt. As he leaped towards me. I could see the pains in his eyes as blood dropped from his left arm.

"Bastards!" He shouted, feeling so disappointed before dropping his rifle.

Exhausting one’s bullet was a normal routine for us but experiencing such in this intense heat was a big blow to our chances of surviving. Provision of sufficient ammunition would have saved the lives of many hacked to death by the beasts yet the authorities keep turning deaf ears.

"Pass me the explosives Sgt.!" He said as we took cover under the truck.

The gun shots had reduced as all that was left was the silence of the night and scores of dead body with the scent of open wounds and blood filling the air.

Our wounded comrades yelled in pain and we watched in horror as the beasts moved from one to another, snuffing the last breath out of them.

Suddenly, the legs approached the truck before stopping directly in front of us.

"Hide your explosives Sgt." said Capt. Ahmed since escaping was impossible.

We were dragged into the plant for interrogation on the request of their commander. Capt. Ahmed cursed them all along as they rejoiced in their victory, shooting few shots into the air.

Failing on a mission was never the mark of a great soldier and ending an illustrious career in such manner was the worst thing that will happen to him.

"Where are other idiots?" shouted the furious commander as another devastating blow landed on the Capt. Ahmed‘s face, sending him to the ground as he yelled in pain. His eyes were swollen and he could barely see.

Drops of blood flowed from his broken noise as he tried to breathe.

"Am sorry Sgt." He said as he tried to get on his feet.

"It’s OK Sir"

"Am ready" I replied, sensing his next action. Nothing could be more rewarding and fulfilling like a second chance to accomplish a mission. The big moment was right there in front of us and we grabbed it with joy.

"Bastards!" He yelled as we quickly brought out the explosives and unstrapped it.

Earth shattering noise was the last thing I heard. Quietness and peace followed after some moment of silence as we turned to the Divine for judgment and compensation. Though we will not be around to hear of the victory but we felt fulfilled by playing our part in ending the madness in the nation.

DEDICATED TO THE UNKNOWN SOLDIERS OF NIGERIAN ARMY THAT PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE AT THE WAR FRONT. WE SAY “NEVER AGAIN”.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Are We Happier Than Our For-father? / Mandy's Law Episode 23 / Wait! Let's Pause A Little

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.