Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? (19579 Views)

Nigeria .ng Domains Hit 100,973 / Change Your Blog Domain From ..com To .com Or .net In A Jiffy / Nigerian Sites Now Redirects To .ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by webincomeplus(m): 11:56am On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
guy I don catch you ooo. So you go use one handle comment for domain thread den use this one dey bomb us with queens English eh? 100ksale make we rob mind abeg grin grin
Well I'm not 100ksale. But I know him very well because we are business partners. We actually both met on Nairaland last year. What makes you think I'm 100ksale?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by crazygod(m): 11:57am On Sep 28, 2015
Guess its same reason y i prefer tokunbo cars to fairly used cars
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
I have scanned the web and only a very few domains are live on .com.ng or .ng.

Why aren't we embracing our own brand of extension like it is obtainable in UK, Australia, South Africa etc?

Because the Nigerian authorities that license .NG are highway robbers.

They charge about $100 for a domain name.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by MSItachi: 12:00pm On Sep 28, 2015
I personally love .Ng but would not go for it the simple reason being that most Nigeria hosting companies are not up to standard and i find it hard doing anything serious with them

I also don't like buying domain here and hosting somewhere else Na long thing
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by mediachirps(m): 12:01pm On Sep 28, 2015
When you include anything NG to your blog/site URLs you're bound to face many other set back from the international bloggers ...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by cooldays(m): 12:03pm On Sep 28, 2015
If you site has an international outlook, then go for the .com domain

Tida SOLUTION one year data promo
Cheapest SME data ever
See my signature for contact
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 28, 2015
.ng extension is more suitable for nigerian orgs that strictly serves only Nigerians. See http://nasson.org.ng

.com is suitable for global competition.

Chartered Institute of Statisticians of Nigeria (CISON) Bill passed into law.

Recall:
The National Assembly has been tasked to hasten the process of passing the Chartered Institute of Statisticians of Nigeria (CISON) Bill into law to help check the quality and confidentiality in data management in the country. read more....http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/body-tasks-national-assembly-on-statisticians-bill/161368/

Iv was able to reserve the domains: http://cison.org.ng and http://cisn.org.ng

Hit links for contact details
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by bedfordng(m): 12:05pm On Sep 28, 2015
With time, they will start embracing the nigeria domain extension.like what others do say, the trend is new and most people will not recall the name.they mostly type .com instead of .com.ng or .ng
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by skondo09(m): 12:06pm On Sep 28, 2015
as 4 d question idnt knyw d answer but on d other hand, Today is the best day of the year cos today is my birthday pls pal celebrate wt me wt shares n likes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 28, 2015
Why do Americans (USA) prefer .com to .us - the answer you get is the answer you are looking for.

fxbot:
I have scanned the web and only a very few domains are live on .com.ng or .ng.

Why aren't we embracing our own brand of extension like it is obtainable in UK, Australia, South Africa etc?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Vicben(m): 12:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
My reasons for going with . com and not . ng is same as the other people here. Truth is, if it's a local business then one should use . com. ng or . ng
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by daveP(m): 12:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
Because the FG isnt settling a practicala and livid example by continuity and maintenance of the sites under its power. Most Govt sites are non functional as i type.

The poster below me paid to watch this band to play

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by hob(m): 12:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
Just here to gain more Knowledge
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 28, 2015
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by MadCow1: 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
but .com.ng is cheaper now. Why can't we still embrace it?

It's too long
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by erico2k2(m): 12:15pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
but .com.ng is cheaper now. Why can't we still embrace it?
How is it cheaper? My .com.cost me £9 a yr less than 3500 naira

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by DJBIGGY(m): 12:16pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
yeah, yet LindaIkeji..com.ng still get visited huh? Why?

When you build your brand those things don't matter!
It's about capturing the mind of people--That should be the goal of a serious business.

Why do companies, especially new ones(Etisalat for example), run ads multiple times? Why?

For the record... it is google that automatically change people using site to .com.ng.... they just want us to have our own unique signature since the site is coming from nigeria... Make i hear say linda will ever buy domain
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by damiloladuke: 12:19pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
i am aware of that and I was one of those who contributed to the thread. The chinese guy even wrote to me via PM.

Well, I think Nigerians are missing on the SEO aspect of .com.ng if done right.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by AmakaDNBStories(f): 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2015
Check my signature, .com is simpler.
The one I hate more is .com.ng
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 28, 2015
cc seun. transfer ur domain to .com.ng or .ng
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by pneumaticos(m): 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:
be careful when searching for domain name on whogohost, as usual Naija people always want to play a fast one on people. i discovered that any time i seach for a nice name on whogohost.com 1 week later someone from their office will grab it before you do. picture below its an evidence of my claim. i searched for a domain name (bingo.com.ng) 3 days later it was taken by one Collins Adetuberu who work in whogohost office.

so guys my advice is, if you are not ready to pay for the domain name under 24hrs don't even think of searching for it in Nigerian domain sellers. eg web4africa or whogohost.

Leave them....
Na them father google and mother godaddy teach them

U never see any thing

If you search for a domain name related to.some products owned by google
....you can never get it registered as the domain is registered by google themselfs in seconds...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by iykepromotions: 12:43pm On Sep 28, 2015
Even if you're going for .ng it's very important to have a .com first.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 28, 2015
How much will it cost me to develop and host a website?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:
bcox they bliv dat anytin NG is fake
nope

[size=29pt]
. NG IS FUC.K.N XPENSIVE [/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 28, 2015
CuckoldMaster:
nice moniker..... It depends on the type of website and hosting package u want....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 12:53pm On Sep 28, 2015
damiloladuke:

lol brother... How far. Ehen, based on our last fight, I want to share a link with you so you can see what I was saying. Where can I drop it?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 12:54pm On Sep 28, 2015
CuckoldMaster:
it depends on the website feautures. I can get one done for you if you want. What and what do you want to do with the site?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by paulsir: 12:55pm On Sep 28, 2015
.COM IS THE KING
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 12:56pm On Sep 28, 2015
erico2k2:

How is it cheaper? My .com.cost me £9 a yr less than 3500 naira
lol.. I can get one for 1300 smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Facebook Approves ₦3.6B Annually For Zuckerberg's Family Security, Bodyguards / Fisayo Fosudo Interviews Arun Maini (MrWhoseTheBoss), UK's Biggest Tech Youtuber / Confused: How Do Bloggers Receive Money From Ads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.