Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Human Head Transplant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Human Head Transplant (542 Views)

Breaking News: The 1st Human Head Transplant Carried Out Successful In China / First Successful Head Transplant Carried Out On A Corpse In China / World’s First Successful Head Transplant Operation: Man’s Head Cut Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Human Head Transplant by Millz404(m): 7:55am On Sep 27, 2015
Russian Valery Sprinidov has Werdnig-Hoffmann disease, which causes severe muscle weakness and degeneration. And Sprinidov has an unprecedented treatement in mind: the world's first human head transplant, tentatively planned for 2017.
Spiridonov spoke at a conference alongside Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero regarding his plans. He told the Daily Mail, "I do hope that my trip and my participation in this conference will help to push the idea of this surgery, to persuade the medical world and to make sure we have support from the scientific community."

Despite Spiridonov's assertion that he's "not going crazy here and rushing to cut off my head," many medical professionals believe it is a foolhardy procedure to attempt at this time. "We’re not anywhere close to solving the problem of connecting the brain to spinal cord," said Dr. Thomas Cochrane to ABC News
Dr. Canavero, pictured here, may be taking attention away from real scientific progress, according to Dr. Michael DeGeorgia. "It’s not completely out of the question that some type of head transplant could work [in the future]," DeGeorgia told ABC News. "It’s just that there are so many barriers right now that would need to be overcome in order for the whole project to work."
At his conference, Canavero spoke dramatically of the implications of this procedure, comparing it to previous American moments of progress and ingenuity: "We must go to the moon to test who we are, to test our skills, to test our confidence, to see what kind of men we are!"

When Spiridonov addressed the conference, he spoke of his body merely as "mechanics that I want to have removed," rather than a vessel he cares deeply about. He also admitted to the audience that if his condition remains untreated, it may drive him to madness.
Nurse Edith Tuazon, an attendant of Canavero's conference, talked to The Guardian of the ethical implications of such a procedure: "Suppose you have a head transplant of someone who’s an artist and on to someone who’s not an artist – will that person be able to make the arms and the hands still draw? Will the hand still ‘think?’ Will it think like it did before?"
Spiridonov admitted to the Daily Mail that he's "afraid," yet has no plans to change his mind in going through with the transplant. "If I want this kind of surgery to happen, I shouldn't put the responsibility onto someone else but should try it on myself. My family fully supports me. They also understand all the risks, and even if they think that it's too dangerous, they still support me in my decision."

Re: Human Head Transplant by Kingtim(m): 8:26am On Sep 27, 2015
In other news Its kingtim again. In 6months time, my girl friend will put to birth grin

(1) (Reply)

LOCUM Medical Laboratory Scientist (chemical Pathology) Urgently Needed / Men Can Have Breast Cancer Too / Photo: Bangladesh Co-joined Twins Dies From Heart Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.