Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,877 members, 7,817,585 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

#60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me (29449 Views)

"N300k Job Or I Won't Work" - Slay Queen, Chinny Okekki (Photos) / Masters Degree Holder Hunts For Job On The Street (Photo) / 120,000NAIRA Salary Job With A Private Firm Or Salary Below 100,000 With FCSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

#60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by brightballer(m): 3:08am On Sep 28, 2015
I just got a job of 60k where I will resume next month. I had concluded plans for my MSc and had already collected forms from two schools. What should I do when I eventually got admitted? Please your sincere suggestions and advice. Lalasticlala, davide470, uboma pls I need this urgently.
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 3:42am On Sep 28, 2015
Is it a job that will provide opportunity for advancement? Do you have a passion for the job you're being offered? If you eventually get admitted, can you 'conveniently' finance your Master programme?

The decision is up to you to make. Just remember that the master degree programme will always be open to you but the job may not, considering the current situation of the country. A bird at hand is worth fifty in the bush.
Wish you the best in your endeavours!

133 Likes 3 Shares

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by ahabue111(m): 5:30am On Sep 28, 2015
Pls go for ur Msc, 60k job isn't worth it. With ur Msc ur have a far better chance of getting a good job. It not easy not working I know but ur Msc is a small sacrifice to pay in order to get a better life. 60k job cannot take u anywhere really. U will have better jobs hv faith in that.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 5:34am On Sep 28, 2015
You need to understand that Bsc degree with job experience is better than Masters degree without work experience. To get work experience, you need to be employed.

The choice is yours.

274 Likes 5 Shares

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by alaricsaltzman: 5:34am On Sep 28, 2015
I'ld advice you start with the job and do a pertime masters in the state where the job is. Even masters holders these days find it hard to secure jobs. While some that manage to get are been offered meager salaries. As the poster above me as rightly pointed out, a bird at hand... You know the rest.

But if you have someone to sponsor your masters and you are pretty confident of securing a better job when you are done, then you can go for your masters. But I must tell you, experience really matters more. Even if it's for 1-2 years.

After all is said, the ball is in your court bro. all the best!

These days I dey comot my masters for cv... grin

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by alaricsaltzman: 5:38am On Sep 28, 2015
ahabue111:
Pls go for ur Msc, 60k job isn't worth it. With ur Msc ur have a far better chance of getting a good job. It not easy not working I know but ur Msc is a small sacrifice to pay in order to get a better life. 60k job cannot take u anywhere really. U will have better jobs hv faith in that.
Really?? Who told you that one?? It's only the grace of God that guarantees one a job. Not masters oo especially in this country of ours where masters has now become a normal thing to have. When he is done he will still fight for the same postion and go through the same recruitment stages with bsc holders. If they have more job experience than he does, they are more likely to secure the job. Trust me, I know from experience.

He is even better off starting a business with the masters money because it has become highly overrated. He can always do the masters later.

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by ahabue111(m): 6:00am On Sep 28, 2015
I have seen people get good jobs with master degree even without experience. Ur also right about d business it's better dan a 60k job definitely. Doing a business is good even doin a professional course a nice wud give u skills to get a better job or enhance ur business.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 6:11am On Sep 28, 2015
Take the job for a start. Appy for msc in a university that is located in your state of residence. I beleive you can work and also run your msc concurrently.

16 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by brightballer(m): 6:24am On Sep 28, 2015
Rumpelstiltskin:
Is it a job that will provide opportunity for advancement? Do you have a passion for the job you're being offered? If you eventually get admitted, can you 'conveniently' finance your Master programme?

The decision is up to you to make. Just remember that the master degree programme will always be open to you but the job may not, considering the current situation of the country. A bird at hand is worth fifty in the bush.
It's related to my course of study. Infact, that's the career path I wish to follow. However, I can conveniently finance my MSc(parental support).
Thanks so much. I appreciate.

2 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 28, 2015
If you look into the nigeria we are now, you will see it melting like a shearbutter in the sun. Jobs worth Msc is nice to get in other places but not in nigeria. If you think you got this job offer easily or via connection then go for msc, but if its by hustle and God's grace then hold unto it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Israel5(m): 6:31am On Sep 28, 2015
Go for it #dnt ask what
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by deanoffaculty: 7:37am On Sep 28, 2015
@OP......do you have any Job waiting for you after your Msc? I will just advice you to grab the opportunity at hand and it will eventually open up better opportunities for you and exposure. Most companies these days are looking for your work experience and not always the certificate you have. What if you have your Msc and no work experience. Start with the 60k job offer and don't despise the days of little beginning. 60k is a just a start up salary, the company can increase it later and you can apply for study leave later in the company......depending on the type of company and what they do. Also consider your age, the competition to get job opportunity these days and where you are going in life. Even the Msc you are going for......do you have any sponsor? if yes, you can go for it: if no, think twice and plan your life very well cos responsibilities will soon be knocking at your door . Work,earn and have experience. Hundreds of MSC holders are roaming about the street too. You can still plan for your Msc next year....it's never too late and DEM NO DEY CATCH LATE COMER! It all depends on your choice.
Ultimately, pray and ask God for direction and don't see Msc as a safe Haven for you to get Job. I pray that every step you take shall lead you to greater heights IJN.
Cheers!!!

31 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 28, 2015
The simple truth is just go and get that job and start your life, at anytime you can go for masters because the way these country is going, you will end of finishing the masters and you wont get any job, so if i were you, i will use the masters fee to start a business along side. Master is there any day any time even when you have the money you can even travel abroad to get your master but you see job it might take a long time to get this good opportunity.

4 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by femidejulius(m): 8:00am On Sep 28, 2015
OP.. I don't mean to brag but I have a masters degree.

Dt being said, I will like to tell you that having job experience nowadays is more important than degrees. You can always go for your masters degree anytime. That job won't be there.

If the job offers you opportunities to grow and if it is secured enough (job security), take it plz. A lot of masters degree holders will even gladly have dt job (esp dos without job experience).

I wish you all the best.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 28, 2015
This reminds me of my final year at the university. A lot of my colleagues, especially the female ones, where blabbing about how they were going to go for their masters immediately they finished youth service. At that point, I felt I would be behind them cos they had parents who could afford to spend on their masters degree. Few year after, I've come to realise that having a masters degree without work experience is like calling yourself a Master in roadside mechanic job without going through apprenticeship. Such a person must be a genius to be able to repair car engines.

I believe majority of my colleagues will later realise how much of a waste of time it is going for masters without job experience. Most companies are concerned about your work experience more than your certification. They use your work experience to determine what you can do for them. It shows you've been tested before and so can be trusted.

Pls, don't be like my friends who thought tendering a CV with Bsc and Msc automatically gives them an edge over other applicants in a recruitment exercise. Without work experience, the CV will just seem like a decoration. These days, people remove Msc from their CV just to get a job. Even if you are going to be considered for a job as an Msc holder with no experience, it will still be an entry level job with little salary.

27 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Durchess(f): 8:18am On Sep 28, 2015
Came here 2 read comments. Am actually working wit a pay of 35k jz cos of ds experience thin. I intend 2 quit d job by dec and improve my computer skill , do a professional course nd probably learn a craft. Wat do u guys fink.
least I 4gt , I spend 6k a week for t.fare nd lunch

14 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by ahabue111(m): 8:21am On Sep 28, 2015
I support d last person. 60k how much can u actually save at d end of d month. Do a professional course.

1 Like

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Yungmilio2(m): 9:09am On Sep 28, 2015
Rumpelstiltskin:

word
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 28, 2015
go for the MSc,and give someone else the job,since you don't need it.

3 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by eipreel(f): 9:38am On Sep 28, 2015
I used to work in a firm back then where a masters degree holder earned 40k cry so bros you know what that means undecided

5 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by dominique(f): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2015
The economy is crumbling, jobs are being lost on a daily basis. Don't think there will be a six-figure salary job waiting for you once you've completed your masters. However, if this new job has little prospects, makes no room for savings or won't make any tangible significance in your resumè, it's not worth it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by niggi4life(m): 9:44am On Sep 28, 2015
@ OP. You want to hear the truth? I will advice you to take the job ASAP, Experience is golden, don't think about the money you are being paid(60K) Just assume you are an apprentice or rather an IT student who only wants to learn, Gather all the experience you can, Masters now is just like any other degree, Unilag and other close by schools offer part time MSc, you can even enroll for your MSc Online. 90% of my colleagues got their Masters Online and sure companies in Nigeria value and accept it.
Look beyond the money and work hard.. Sky wont be your limit

PS: My first job as a Network Engineer was 25K, Yes 25K as a graduate but i had valuable experience, with that little money i saved for my Cisco Certifications and also Microsoft Certs.. Now i earn way more than i can spend

22 Likes

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by youngice(m): 9:45am On Sep 28, 2015
go for the masters don't let anybody limit you
You can be whoever you want to be
The sky is you starting point
I have finished motivating you
Now go and take the job fast
Experience is key , it is only on theory that every thing works

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by DoTheNeedful: 9:45am On Sep 28, 2015
It depends on a number of things:
1. If the place that you are about to resume to guarantees your development towards your desired career path then go for it even though 60k is too small a salary to me. Your take-home may be more though if the will add some allowances though.
2. If you are not sure of funding for your masters then take the job.
3. If you can get funding for the masters and the job does not guarantee a career progression then go for the masters.

NB. Ultimately,decision making are synonymous to risk taking. There are no jobs out there however, i have seen masters degree open doors of opportunities to people. I have also seen jobless masters degree holders.
If you believe in God,pray for direction;if you dont, follow your mind. In all, I wish you good luck wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by TINCAN(m): 9:45am On Sep 28, 2015
both would b better grin grin grin grin
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Dahveydson(m): 9:45am On Sep 28, 2015
If you have money to do the masters, go right ahead for the masters.
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by okooloyun1(m): 9:46am On Sep 28, 2015
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 28, 2015
Both. Hoping yhur job will not affect yhur attendance in class
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 28, 2015
Durchess:
Came here 2 read comments. Am actually working wit a pay of 35k jz cos of ds experience thin. I intend 2 quit d job by dec and improve my computer skill , do a professional course nd probably learn a craft. Wat do u guys fink
What I think is don't quit the job because of computer skills. Do the computer training on weekends and if you work on Saturdays do in on Sunday, have a duration or period... ensure you learn what would be useful to you and the organisation... thank me later.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by SafetyFirst(m): 9:47am On Sep 28, 2015
You can do both.
Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by jenyna: 9:47am On Sep 28, 2015
U can take the job and still do ur masters, anyways it depends on d kind of job.

1 Like

Re: #60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me by eph12(m): 9:47am On Sep 28, 2015
Depends on how or where you see yourself in the next five years.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Breweries Sales Executives Recruitment. / I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing / N-power Latest News And Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.