Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,977 members, 7,828,455 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount (3255 Views)

Aisha Buhari Poses With First Ladies Of Gambia, Ghana, Ethiopia, In Addis Ababa / Addis Ababa Beats Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount / Okonjo-iweala With Nigerian Delegates At Addis Ababa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by kingPINN(m): 8:56am On Sep 28, 2015
Addis Ababa beats Lagos to light rail as construction delays mount
Ethiopia has managed to deliver Sub-Saharan Africa’s first modern light rail project which opened in the capital Addis Ababa on Sunday, and in the process, beat Lagos whose own rail project remains four years behind schedule.

Ethiopia’s rail project was delivered on time, despite its being longer than the Lagos – Badagry rail line currently under construction.

Addis Ababa’s two line 34-kilometre system was built by the China Railway Engineering Corporation (CREC) and cost $475m, 85 percent of which has been covered by China’s Exim bank.

The Lagos Light Rail Project or Blue on Badagry Expressway, was to have 13 stations from Okokomaiko to Marina via Iddo for a total of 27 kilometres.

The contract was awarded to the Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) at the cost of $1.2 billion in 2008, and was to be delivered in 2011.

Survey work took one year between August 2009 and August 2010 while construction began July 2010.

The work is being implemented using the public and private partnership (PPP) model, whereby the state builds the infrastructure and the private sector provides the rolling stock and management.

However, the project has not worked out according to the plan.

The 2011 deadline was missed, even though the State government got a loan to fund the project.

In January 2013, the then governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, while on an inspection tour of the work being done, promised that the first phase of the Blue Light Rail project would be completed by June of 2013.

Fashola gushed then that Lagosians would start enjoying the services of the rail project immediately. According to him, “This is what we do with the loan collected by the government. We don’t use our loan to pay salaries and other recurrent expenditure, what we do with our loan is to provide capital projects that would serve the residents. When the project is completed, the state would be at par with other major cities of the world.”

Lagos has a population of just over 20 million people, compared to Addis Ababa’s five million.

The Ethiopian light rail has a capacity to carry 60,000 passengers a day across the capital of Africa’s second most populous nation.

Ethiopia was able to complete the project despite its $50 billion GDP being about half the Lagos economy.

Lagos currently doesn’t have enough infrastructure to move its teeming population, with choked roads and bridges sometimes leading to four hour “go slows” or traffic jams.

Mercy Anakwe, a young lady who resides in the Iba axis of Lagos( far from the glistening business district of Victoria Island and Ikoyi) but works in Festac, says completing the rail line would help ease her transportation costs as well as the stress of daily commuting.

“We are really suffering over here. Sometimes I wonder if the government still remembers this part of Lagos,” Anakwe said.

Ethiopia’s transport minister, Workneh Gebeyehu, said the tramway project would also boost Ethiopia’s bid to make the city — already the seat of the African Union — the undisputed continental hub.

“This is a sign of modernity. This is a very modern train that will serve the capital city of Africa. We are very proud of that,” he said.

Culled from Business Day Online.
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by kingPINN(m): 9:01am On Sep 28, 2015
Its so crystal clear that most of our politicians are not sincere enough and all we do everyday is rant, without holding them accountable. Fashola should account on how the loan collected for this project was utilized and why his government failed to deliver on TAT (turn around time) earmarked for the project.

3 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Demmocrats(m): 9:02am On Sep 28, 2015
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by sammyj: 9:05am On Sep 28, 2015
Photos please !!
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by henribj(m): 9:11am On Sep 28, 2015
what can i say, greed is everywhere in 9ja politics.
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by overhypedsteve(m): 9:34am On Sep 28, 2015
They should account for the money. 500mil dollars for 30+ kilometer and 1billion dollars for naija 20+ kilometers why do we even border about developing Nigeria why don't we just let it rot and dry out? How is it that everybody just want to squeeze out the poor nation that tags itself Africa richest economy. We are very poor but we have enough money to enrich our greedy aristocrats. May God punish the generation of political thieves and looters. May they die a slow and painful death. If you want to own two jeeps and you are asked to create a bridge for people to pass on foot and you now create a sub standard bridge so that you can buy another jeep with the remaining money, then the bad bridge you created led to the lost of innocent lives, how can you go on living with this knowledge? Looters are animals that deserve to be killed by the law. How can we immunize the greatest threat to our progress and growth. Are we fools, why is it bad to end the lives of those that end our lives and the future of our children daily. Join the campaign for death penalty for polithieves. #HangTheLooter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Horus(m): 8:15pm On Apr 27, 2017

Addis Ababa Light Rail
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Horus(m): 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etT5iNmN2Dg

Addis Ababa's light rail system an example for neighbours
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by XerXers: 9:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tinubu has pocketed the money

3 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Blue3k(m): 9:41pm On Apr 27, 2017
XerXers:
Tinubu has pocketed the money

No he didn't the current delays are due to legal issues. Some with business owners and other with NIWA.

3 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by theSpark(m): 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2017
Seems it even runs on electricity sef..
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by HughJazz(m): 3:38pm On Apr 28, 2017
Lagos is building a light rail with modern system, the one in Addis Ababa is just a freaking TRAM WAY with tiny stations with sheds! .

Nigerians are so ignorant about trains and metro systems

5 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by baralatie(m): 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2017
the two train networks are totally different! the train network in Lagos is not 85% funded by Chinese govt!

2 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Basic123: 4:43pm On Apr 28, 2017
Blue3k:

No he didn't the current delays are due to legal issues. Some with business owners and other with NIWA.
You dey mind am.Tinubu is their nemesis in their tribe.They can blame their women irregular menstruation on tinubu.

3 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 28, 2017
HughJazz:
Lagos is building a light rail with modern system, the one in Addis Ababa is just a freaking TRAM WAY with tiny stations with sheds! .

Nigerians are so ignorant about trains and metro systems
Don't lie! It's perfectly modern. It has 39 stations and 41 trains. It has 2 lines, one being 17.4km and the other being 14.2 km(31.6 km collectively). It costed 475$ and completed within 4 years. It's called efficiency!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addis_Ababa_Light_Rail

6 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Olu317(m): 9:15pm On Apr 28, 2017
Hati13:

Don't lie! It's perfectly modern. It has 39 stations and 41 trains. It has 2 lines, one being 17.4km and the other being 14.2 km(31.6 km collectively). It costed 475$ and completed within 4 years. It's called efficiency!
Why do you wanna go on online bantering? Please keep off such issue. You truly don't need it.
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 28, 2017
Olu317:
Why do you wanna go on online bantering? Please keep off such issue. You truly don't need it.
Does saying "don't lie" bantering? Does correcting him inappropriate? No, I don't think so. Why did he say about something he didn't know. Why do you criticize only me, when his comment is also inappropriate. See it also from my perspective, not only from him or you.

2 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by leofab(f): 10:10pm On Apr 28, 2017
Nice one
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Olu317(m): 10:25pm On Apr 28, 2017
Hati13:

Does saying "don't lie" bantering? Does correcting him inappropriate? No, I don't think so. Why did he say about something he didn't know. Why do you criticize only me, when his comment is also inappropriate. See it also from my perspective, not only from him or you.
If you think I criticise you, sorry about that. I just feel you don't need engage some people on such issue. Then, I find your information thrilling about Ethiopia. And I will never discourage you from expressing yourself. I only want you not to get distracted. Perhaps, you and I may work together in the nearest future if God wills.
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
Olu317:
If you think I criticise you, sorry about that. I just feel you don't need engage some people on such issue. Then, I find your information thrilling about Ethiopia. And I will never discourage you from expressing yourself. I only want you not to get distracted. Perhaps, you and I may work together in the nearest future if God wills.
You don't need to say sorry. I'm not saying, don't criticize me, I'm saying, if we both made a mistake, criticize both of us. To be honest, I hadn't replied him with bad intention.

I also like to meet you. You had been educative to me. Tnx for this!

Peace! smiley
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Olu317(m): 11:12pm On Apr 28, 2017
Hati13:

You don't need to say sorry. I'm not saying, don't criticize me, I'm saying, if we both made a mistake, criticize both of us. To be honest, I hadn't replied him with bad intention.

I also like to meet you. You had been educative to me. Tnx for this!

Peace! smiley
We all learn from one and another. This is the real plan of the Supreme force behind every thing in this world. Human beings are meant to be interdependent on one another. And until we see this as the key to a greater society and the world at large . Peace eludes the human race. However, I have walked into the path designated for me.
I have chosen peace given to me by my creator.
And at the right time, we shall meet.

Cheers bro

1 Like

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by OAFMods: 11:38pm On Apr 28, 2017
Some idiots will arrive to praise Fashola or Ambode even when its obvious their destiny as been shortchanged by Tinubu n APC.
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by deomelo: 12:22am On Apr 29, 2017
kingPINN:
Addis Ababa beats Lagos to light rail as construction delays mount
Ethiopia has managed to deliver Sub-Saharan Africa’s first modern light rail project which opened in the capital Addis Ababa on Sunday, and in the process, beat Lagos whose own rail project remains four years behind schedule.

Ethiopia’s rail project was delivered on time, despite its being longer than the Lagos – Badagry rail line currently under construction.

Addis Ababa’s two line 34-kilometre system was built by the China Railway Engineering Corporation (CREC) and cost $475m, 85 percent of which has been covered by China’s Exim bank.

The Lagos Light Rail Project or Blue on Badagry Expressway, was to have 13 stations from Okokomaiko to Marina via Iddo for a total of 27 kilometres.

The contract was awarded to the Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) at the cost of $1.2 billion in 2008, and was to be delivered in 2011.

Survey work took one year between August 2009 and August 2010 while construction began July 2010.

The work is being implemented using the public and private partnership (PPP) model, whereby the state builds the infrastructure and the private sector provides the rolling stock and management.

However, the project has not worked out according to the plan.

The 2011 deadline was missed, even though the State government got a loan to fund the project.

In January 2013, the then governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, while on an inspection tour of the work being done, promised that the first phase of the Blue Light Rail project would be completed by June of 2013.

Fashola gushed then that Lagosians would start enjoying the services of the rail project immediately. According to him, “This is what we do with the loan collected by the government. We don’t use our loan to pay salaries and other recurrent expenditure, what we do with our loan is to provide capital projects that would serve the residents. When the project is completed, the state would be at par with other major cities of the world.”

Lagos has a population of just over 20 million people, compared to Addis Ababa’s five million.

The Ethiopian light rail has a capacity to carry 60,000 passengers a day across the capital of Africa’s second most populous nation.

Ethiopia was able to complete the project despite its $50 billion GDP being about half the Lagos economy.

Lagos currently doesn’t have enough infrastructure to move its teeming population, with choked roads and bridges sometimes leading to four hour “go slows” or traffic jams.

Mercy Anakwe, a young lady who resides in the Iba axis of Lagos( far from the glistening business district of Victoria Island and Ikoyi) but works in Festac, says completing the rail line would help ease her transportation costs as well as the stress of daily commuting.

“We are really suffering over here. Sometimes I wonder if the government still remembers this part of Lagos,” Anakwe said.

Ethiopia’s transport minister, Workneh Gebeyehu, said the tramway project would also boost Ethiopia’s bid to make the city — already the seat of the African Union — the undisputed continental hub.

“This is a sign of modernity. This is a very modern train that will serve the capital city of Africa. We are very proud of that,” he said.

Culled from Business Day Online.

1. Another write up about 2 totally different projects in totally different environments.

2. Ethiopia's rail is just a common rail system and nothing more.

3. Lagos rail system is not just a rail system, it's a combination of a rail system with a 60 klm 10 lane freeway system and BRT access.

4. Lagos rail travels through many rail stations that must be built

5. Lagos rail station travels over the Lagos Lagoon, meaning they have to construct a rail bridge over the Lagoon which is currently under construction.

6. Ethiopia is a country while Lagos is just state in Nigeria

The Lagos Metro rail is still the most groundbreaking and comprehensive project in Africa and an not and shouldn't be compared with an ordinary metro rail in Ethiopia.

Lagos Metro rail is the kind of projects countries embark on and the fact Lagos state is handling such project is more than commendable.

The ignorant and shortsighted writers sure need some p[roper education and ability to compare logically.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by HughJazz(m): 1:47am On Apr 29, 2017
Hati13:

You are so dense man, land is more expensive in lagos. The soil is different. The stations will be ultra modern with. Not a neighborhood tramway . Man, africans sometimes talk too much like blockheads.
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by HughJazz(m): 1:51am On Apr 29, 2017
deomelo:

1. Another write up about 2 totally different projects in totally different environments.

3. Lagos rail system is not just a rail system, it's a combination of a rail system with a 60 klm 10 lane freeway system and BRT access.

4. Lagos rail travels through many rail stations that must be built

5. Lagos rail station travels over the Lagos Lagoon, meaning they have to construct a rail bridge over the Lagoon which is currently under construction.

The Lagos Metro rail is still the most groundbreaking and comprehensive project in Africa and an not and shouldn't be compared with an ordinary metro rail in Ethiopia.

Lagos Metro rail is the kind of projects countries embark on and the fact Lagos state is handling such project is more than commendable.

The ignorant and shortsighted writers sure need some p[roper education and ability to compare logically.

It took dehli 20 years to build same time type of metro lagos is building. And its just one line ,lagos is starting to build the second line. The blue line will have a bridge over the lagoon. Stupid ethiopian people salivating over trams that can't even take that much passengers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Olu317(m): 8:32am On Apr 29, 2017
HughJazz:

It took dehli 20 years to build same time type of metro lagos is building. And its just one line ,lagos is starting to build the second line. The blue line will have a bridge over the lagoon. Stupid ethiopian people salivating over trams that can't even take that much passengers.
You don't need to get worked up. The Ethiopian that commented on this platform only mentioned modernity of his country's rail track system. Let not get too confrontational about everything. I doubt the identity of the OP being an Ethiopian.

Just a piece of love sharing most times build friendship even if there are differences. So, easy does it.

Take it real easy

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 29, 2017
deomelo:

Define common rail system? Is having 39 stations, 41 trains and building some of the line underground a common rail system? If yes, then be it. If no, then also be it.

Why do you say Ethiopia vs Lagos railway? Why not you say Addis vs Lagos railway, since the railway in Ethiopia found in Addis.

Why do you want to create drawbacks(when their is none) to denounce your fellow African great achievement, just to higher your will be achievement?

I'm not the one who is ignorant and shortsighted, it's rather you. You are the one who criticized Addis railway, when you hadn't seen it. I hadn't criticized Lagos railway, because I hadn't seen it. I just corrected "HughJazz" on Addis railway. Don't let your loud mouth from talking about something he didn't know!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 29, 2017
HughJazz:

You are so dense man, land is more expensive in lagos. The soil is different. The stations will be ultra modern with. Not a neighborhood tramway . Man, africans sometimes talk too much like blockheads.
No no..... if we are talking about blockheads, then you perfect know that word belongs to you. Who are you to lie and not to be corrected. If correcting you, makes you negative like this, then be it. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 29, 2017
HughJazz:

Each train has the capacity to carry 286 people. All the trains are transporting 113,500 people each day. If you knew this info before your commentand, then you must know nothing about numbers. If you hadn't knew the info, then don't conclude on something you didn't know and please don't be a blockheads for the reputation of your family!(I used the same word you used against me, you are the one who started it).
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 29, 2017
Olu317:
I doubt the identity of the OP being an Ethiopian
I'm not someone who lie about anything, let alone his identity like you deep down think. Did I doubt anything you had said to me. No, I hadn't, because I don't judge about something I didn't truly know. If you doubt or not, I don't care! But it's advisable to not talk about someone you don't truly know!
Re: Addis Ababa Bets Lagos To Light Rail As Construction Delays Mount by deomelo: 11:40am On Apr 29, 2017
Hati13:

Define common rail system? Is having 39 stations, 41 trains and building some of the line underground a common rail system? If yes, then be it. If no, then also be it

I repeat it's a common metro rail system with nothing more to it.

Are they building a 60km 10 lane freeway at the same time also like Lagos ? No

Are they building a 60 km BRT access at the same time like Lagos? No

Are they building miles of Metro rail bridge over any lagoon like they are doing in Lagos? No

Are the building miles of Metro bridge across the Marina like Lagos? No

Are the building real stations like they are doing in Lagos? No, they built sheds like bus stops.

Why do you say Ethiopia vs Lagos railway? Why not you say Addis vs Lagos railway, since the railway in Ethiopia found in Addis.

You obviously know little or nothing about the project in Ethiopia.

The fact that it was sited in their capital doesn't mean it's not a project executed by the Ethiopian government.

The Ethiopian government constructed the metro rail with loans the government of Ethiopia took from china and a Chinese company built it.

The Lagos Metro is 100% Lagos state project.

Why do you want to create drawbacks(when their is none) to denounce your fellow African great achievement, just to higher your will be achievement?

Coming from the same poster who just labeled the Lagos state metro rail a railway when in fact it's a metro rail and a 10 lane freeway system.

You are comfortable putting Lagos with a more comprehensive and financial and labor intensive project down in favor of Ethiopia common metro system with nothing else to it.

You are just another hating hypocrite.

I'm not the one who is ignorant and shortsighted, it's rather you. You are the one who criticized Addis railway, when you hadn't seen it. I hadn't criticized Lagos railway, because I hadn't seen it. I just corrected "HughJazz" on Addis railway. Don't let your loud mouth from talking about something he didn't know!

You obviously don't know how to read and comprehend because explaining the difference between both projects and why the should never be compared and criticizing are 2 different things.

Just to educate you further, the Lagos Metro rail and 10 lane freeway system started in 2012 and this is 2017, meaning the project is only 5-year-old project while many countries with less labor intensive system spend over a decade on theirs.

Ignorance is your and jealousy problem.

You are nothing but a hating ethiopian trying to put Nigeria down with your small scale local railway.

All your threads on NL are all pro ethiopia so stop all the silly and retentious nonsense.

Lagos remains the largest public works project in Africa and it's a state project.

Below are all your ethiopia threads on NL.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pro Biafra Youths Clash With Fulani Herdsmen IN Enugu / African Leaders On Official Visit To US White House Disgraced & Tagged Criminals / Buhari Launches Helicopter Gunship And Others In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.