Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,670 members, 7,955,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:56 AM

How To Survive A Stampede - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Survive A Stampede (1043 Views)

MAPOLY Student Dies During Childbirth, As Her Twins Survive (photo) / The Woman Carrying Oxygen To Survive And The Crying Little Boy In New Photos / How To Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Survive A Stampede by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 28, 2015
At the moment, families and friends are still mourning their loved ones who were lost to the recent, deadly stampede that occurred at Mina, Saudi Arabia, as they they were carrying out their yealy Hajj pilgrimage there. Our nation also lost a few persons to this tragic event. May their souls rest in peace.

In 2011, a few lives were lost to a stampede at the Liberation Stadium, Elekahia, Port Harcourt, during a presidential elections campaign. A woman, who I was negotaiting a property with at the time, lost a neighbour to that incident. The Nigerian Immigration Recruitment tragedy also comes to mind. This is to indicate that stanpedes are very common and in most cases, very deadly.

Human lives are very important. And I'm personally depressed whenver I read or hear of the loss of human lives. It was this concern that led me into a little research into this situation. What should we do if we find ourselves in a massive crowd, or in a stampede situation?

Mass casualties can result from a human stampede. A peaceful crowd can quickly turn into a senseless panicked heaving mass in which rational behavior by any single individual becomes nearly impossible. What’s worse is that the stampede can be triggered while there is no actual danger. Under certain situations, a crowd that has grown to a big and tight enough size and density reaches a critical state at which the slightest twitch is sufficient to send it into a stampede.

Panicked crowds move fast and release an incredible amount of energy, usually compared to the energy generated by a running train: once a crowd gets moving it is very hard to stop, and the flow of people could literally sweep you off your feet.

It is interesting to note that the force of only 6 or 7 people pushing in the same direction can generate up to 1000 lbs of force – enough to bend steel railings and topple brick walls. During a deadly stampede, people can even die standing up… people die when pressure is applied to their bodies in a front to back direction, causing them not to be able to breath. When pressure is applied to their side, they often survive, probably because their rib cages are protecting their ability to breath.

If you are in a crowd, a first and most important thing is to make yourself familiar with your surroundings and mentally notice alternate exits. No matter where you are, make sure you always know how to get out.

Make yourself aware of the type of ground you are standing on, and know that in a crowd of moving people wet or uneven ground can be slippery or hazardous, causing you to fall.

Be aware of the general atmosphere of the event, as panic situations can often be anticipated. When in danger, a few seconds can make all the difference, giving you the possibility of taking advantage of your escaping route. Always stay closer to the escape route.

If you find yourself in the middle of a moving crowd do not fight against the pressure, do not stand still or sit down, because you could easily get trampled.

Instead, move in the same direction of the crowd; take advantage of any space that may open up to move sideways to the crowd movement where the flow is weaker.

Keep your hands up by your chest, like a boxer – it gives you movement and protects your chest.

If you fall, get up quickly. If you can’t get up because you are injured, get someone to pull you back up. If you have kids, lift them up.

If you fall and cannot get up, keep moving by crawling in the same direction of the crowd, or if that is not possible, then cover your head with your arms and curl up into the fetal position (do not lay on your stomach or back, as this dangerously exposes your lungs).

The worst scenario is to be pushed by the crowd against an immovable object. Try to stay away from walls, fences or barricades, as the crowd pressure can build up rapidly.

After you’re pushed forward, like in a wave there’s a lull. In that lull is your chance to move, and the way you move is on a diagonal, between pockets of people. There’s always space between people. A couple of steps sideways, another wave surge, then another couple of steps in the next lull. You work your way out that way till you get to the periphery.

http://www..com/talk/topic,59495.0.html
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/how-to-survive-a-stampede/

Lalasticlala, please, help move this vital information to the apprpraite quarters.

8 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by feldido(m): 4:31pm On Sep 28, 2015
Informative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by BigBelleControl(m): 4:41pm On Sep 28, 2015
Cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by ablatgraphicplus(m): 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2015
well said, noted

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by olumyde5(m): 5:02pm On Sep 28, 2015
If there is a real life scenario, there is every tendency to forget the whole drill. However, noting the exit point and moving to the opposite direction in real situation might be easier to remember and act on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Djicemob: 5:41pm On Sep 28, 2015
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
When I'm in a crowd, I always unconsciously check for exits, but like the poster above said, when panicked there's the tendency to forget the drill and simply run around like a headless chicken. At the end of the day, it is God who protects.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Mishydoo(m): 7:51pm On Sep 28, 2015
I once experienced it in a stadium in Enugu...I kept pushing to free my chest till I got exhausted and almost slumped...Na God save me dat day

FURTHER TIPS: Allow space in front of u for people to squeeze in,this automatically sends u backward where der are lesser people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 28, 2015
Mishydoo:
I once experienced it in a stadium in Enugu...I kept pushing to free my chest till I got exhausted and almost slumped...Na God save me dat day

FURTHER TIPS: Allow space in front of u for people to squeeze in,this automatically sends u backward where der are lesser people.

Hmmm....Thank God for your life.
Re: How To Survive A Stampede by prettyjo(f): 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2015
nice one
well done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 28, 2015
LaraiBoluwaji:
When I'm in a crowd, I always unconsciously check for exits, but like the poster above said, when panicked there's the tendency to forget the drill and simply run around like a headless chicken. At the end of the day, it is God who protects.

I can't deny the fact humans are barely rational under such conditions as a massive crowd, but I can still say information is key.
Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Nursy(f): 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
Nice tips. I always avoid crowded areas as much as possible. I remember how we use to struggle into a class to get a place to sit when I was in year one, and then relating to where thousands of people are, oboy na die o. And I still try to figure out how it happens but I don't like to imagine the situation.

God rest the souls of people that died in stampede, such a painful way to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by Nobody: 12:22am On Sep 29, 2015
I hate crowd just like I hate getting stuck in traffic.Even in a march i stay at the back. Nice tips. RIP to the dead.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Stampede by sparcolette: 6:32am On Sep 29, 2015
Had a near death experience one tym at sch,I kept praying n confessing my sins to God begging for a second chance to live
It was really scary..tot l ll die dat day
Now l avoid crowd lyk a plague.... Tnks 4 d information
Ds ll help

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

5 Body Pains You Should NEVER Ignore / Back Pain Home Remedy !!! / Non-stick Cookware Is Poisonous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.