Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,627 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal (995 Views)

Murray-Bruce: Buhari’s Anti-Corruption War Not A Witch-Hunt / Cameron Praises Nigeria’s Anti-Corruption Fight / Emefiele Should Resign - Save Nigeria Anti-Corruption Initiative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal by 0079jaBond(m): 6:45pm On Sep 30, 2015
Before coming into power, the All Progressive Congress, a major opposition party to the PDP had been chanting and drumming anti corruption songs. It was no surprise that they had a rtd army general and self proclaimed no-nonsense man as their front man heading to the general elections.

Fast forward to three months after APC won the election, what's been noticed hasn't lived up to the billing in terms of the over blown promise on fighting corruption and bringing change. Latest court cases against Sen. Bukola Saraki and few others, plus 'centred' accusing fingers at immediate past administration leaves one to wonder if the approach to reducing corruption has turned from using the right institutions to "face me I punch you" fight.

It's a fact that majority of Nigerians were soaked in the 'Change' mantra, though for diverse reasons. As it's practiced in advanced countries, institutions and independent agencies are fully strengthened and equipped to monitor and curb corrupt acts in every sector. But so far since Preseident Buhari assumed office, it hasn't looked so, as it's more or less like someone trying to get back at another.

However, we mustn't lose faith and focus on this whole drama. As you and I stand to help Mr. President bring the much needed change, we shouldn't also lose sight of the ball. It's not about the doing; it's about doing it right and doing it well.

So my fellow Nigerians, what's your honest take on this?
Re: Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal by chocolateme(f): 6:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
Seen
Re: Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal by Abugab(m): 7:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
Whether it is a with hunt or hunting the witch, flash in the pan or whatever name, bottom line is that its the real deal as whoever that has stolen our commonwealth is doing reality check right now. Also, the matter of immunity in office that has made political criminals go unpunished has been demystified and thus those in govt are checked.
Head or tail it is the real deal and worth improving on
Re: Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal by 0079jaBond(m): 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
Abugab:
Whether it is a with hunt or hunting the witch, flash in the pan or whatever name, bottom line is that its the real deal as whoever that has stolen our commonwealth is doing reality check right now. Also, the matter of immunity in office that has made political criminals go unpunished has been demystified and thus those in govt are checked.
Head or tail it is the real deal and worth improving on

Although everyone is free to his/her own opinion but permit me to ask you these pertinent questions, sir:

1) Can you tell me in clear terms what the offence of Senator Saraki is?
2) The President has passed a no vote of confidence on Saraki pending his corruption trial, but aren't his party's governorship aspirants in Bayelsa & Kogi states also facing court cases?
3) Why is the corruption battle only targetted at the immediate past government? What happened to the previous ones?
4) Does corruption only occur in politics/government places? How about companies, our homes, etc?

Your response will be very much appreciated
Re: Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal by Abugab(m): 8:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
0079jaBond:

Although everyone is free to his/her own opinion but permit me to ask you these pertinent questions, sir:

1) Can you tell me in clear terms what the offeconstitution or Saraki is?
2) The Presiedent has passed a no vote of confidence on Saraki pending his corruption trial, but aren't his party's governorship aspirants in Bayelsa & Kogi states also facing court cases?
3) Why is the corruption battle only targetted at the immediate past government? What happened to the previous ones?
4) Does corruption only occur in politics/government places? How about companies, our homes, etc?

Your response will be very much appreciated

1. Saraki falsely declared his assets as a two term governor of kwara state.
2. Dont forget too that the president vowed to be neutral in the affairs of NASS from the beginning. He is for everybody and not for anybody. For the Bayelsa and Kogi instances, Buhari is not the constitution and the courts.
3. saraki's can of worm is not from immediate past government but during OBJ's. What the question should have been is if they are clean? We are Nigerians and not PDP or APC. Whoever that comes next should beam the searchlight also on others
4. Corruption happens everywhere but political corruption kills more people and destinies than others. The principle of utility is clearly negated
Re: Nigeria's Anti Corruption War: A Flash In The Pan, A Witch-hunt Or The Real Deal by 0079jaBond(m): 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
Abugab:

1. Saraki falsely declared his assets as a two term governor of kwara state.
2. Dont forget too that the president vowed to be neutral in the affairs of NASS from the beginning. He is for everybody and not for anybody. For the Bayelsa and Kogi instances, Buhari is not the constitution and the courts.
3. saraki's can of worm is not from immediate past government but during OBJ's. What the question should have been is if they are clean? We are Nigerians and not PDP or APC. Whoever that comes next should beam the searchlight also on others
4. Corruption happens everywhere but political corruption kills more people and destinies than others. The principle of utility is clearly negated
You nailed only question one but the rest are unsatisfactory.
If Buhari isn't the court or judge, then he should have made no comment on Saraki's. I think he goofed.
So in other words, Saraki entered the APC with unclean hands and left to play around but got checked when he stepped on toes.
Since political corruption kills faster, let the battle be seen to be in favour of the people, not some unforgiving, selfish godfathers.
Our institutions must be empowered to stand toe to toe with unrepentant or past corrupt politicians.

My submission.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: NDLEA Arrests South African-based Nigerian With Drugs / Nigeria Government On Biafra Rising / CBN Cuts Lending Rates For The First Time In 6 Years!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.