Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,790 members, 7,855,326 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 06:37 PM

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW (8922 Views)

Buhari Appoints Uchechi Orji And Isa Hayatu Chiroma As Heads Of Agencies / US Unveils 16 Richest Politicians From Nigeria & Names Of US Banks They Operate / APC Challenges Senator Ekweremadu To Enumerate What He Achieved For SE And SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by StOla: 11:46am On Oct 01, 2015
BALLOSKI:
You can never please this people.

Anyone that tries to please Igbos can never have a happy life. They want it all.

Arrogance and empty boast is the cause of their misery.
Yet they still persist in this way of life.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Gbawe: 12:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
Dhugal:

You quote Falalu Bello from years ago,some of his points you highlighted having been burst since with same statistics,facts n figures you advocate.
SW region the most financially independent and stable......playing ostrich much,aren't you?.

Why don't you back your opinion with verifiable links and statistics? Whether true or false, at least I have supplied a verifiable link to my opinion whereas all you can do is dispute what I have said without any attempt whatsoever to corroborate your own utterances/position. Whatever you are saying, prove it and convince us you are right.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by basilo101: 12:22pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ngige and Onu are also politicians. but Festus Odimegwu and Soludo are not
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by BALLOSKI: 12:36pm On Oct 01, 2015
StOla:

Anyone that tries to please Igbos can never have a happy life. They want it all.

Arrogance and empty boast is the cause of their misery.
Yet they still persist in this way of life.
they are hard to please. Too annoying.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Dhugal: 12:51pm On Oct 01, 2015
Gbawe:

Why don't you back your opinion with verifiable links and statistics? Whether true or false, at least I have supplied a verifiable link to my opinion whereas all you can do is dispute what I have said without any attempt whatsoever to corroborate your own utterances/position. Whatever you are saying, prove it and convince us you are right.
The links abound all over nairaland and other forums.
Wasn't even my intent to hold an opinion nor dispute your foolishness,you can carry on with that.Quote articles from Osundefender and oduastates,even.Your funeral.

Btw,while Fayemi,Soludo,Utomi,even Ngige qualify as technocrats in the meaning of the word,Fashola and Oyinlola don't.Don't mislead the ignorant and gullible here.
wirinet:

tech·no·crat
\ˈtek-nə-ˌkrat\

: a scientist or technical expert who has a lot of power in politics or industry
Full Definition

1: an adherent of technocracy
2: a technical expert; especially : one exercising managerial authority
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by calaway: 12:57pm On Oct 01, 2015
listenersky:
So Ngige and Ogbonaya Onu from South East are not Politicians?

OGBONANYA ONU GRADUATED WITH A FIRST CLASS IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING FROM UNILAG!!!!
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by mayorchelsea(m): 1:09pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ruke1989:
i liked ur mature and fact-based response. I need the international CV of fashola, prince oyinlola, etc
A sensible person would have tried to a do a little research on those names before displaying gullibility on a national level,do the research yourself
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by okolola25: 1:18pm On Oct 01, 2015
olawalepopoola:
John Kayode Fayemi

Academic and political initiatives
Kayode Fayemi is a former Director of the Centre for
Democracy & Development, a research and training
institution dedicated to the study and promotion of
democratic development, peace-building and
human security in Africa. Prior to his establishment
of the Centre, he worked as a lecturer, journalist,
researcher and Strategy Development adviser in
Nigeria and the United Kingdom. He was Strategy
Development Adviser at London’s City Challenge;
research fellow at the African Research &
Information Bureau in London, UK, reporter with the
newspapers, The Guardian and City Tempo, editor of
the political monthly, Nigeria-Now, management
consultant at Development and Management
Consultants and lecturer at the Police College in
Sokoto, Nigeria. As a prominent leader of the
Nigerian opposition to military rule in exile, he was
responsible for the founding and management of
the opposition radios – Radio Freedom, Radio
Democracy International & Radio Kudirat and played
a central role in the opposition’s diplomatic
engagements in exile. An account of the process and
roles played in the setting up of Radio Kudirat may
be found in Fayemi's book Out Of The Shadows.
Amongst his numerous academic and public policy
engagements at home and abroad, Kayode Fayemi
has lectured in Africa, Europe, the Americas and
Asia. He has also served as an adviser on
transitional justice, regional integration,
constitutionalism, security sector reform and civil-
military relations issues to various governments,
inter-governmental institutions and development
agencies. He was the main technical adviser to
Nigeria’s Human Rights Violations Investigation
Commission (Oputa Panel), which investigated past
abuses and currently serves on the Presidential
Implementation Committees on Security Sector
Reform, NEPAD and the Millennium Development
Goals. He was technical expert to the Economic
Community of West African States (ECOWAS) on
small arms and light weapons and United Nations
Economic Commission of Africa on governance
issues. He is also a member, Africa Policy Advisory
Panel of the British Government. At other times he
has served as a consultant to the OECD on Security
Sector Reform and chaired the Commonwealth
Human Rights Initiative’s Committee of Experts on
developing guiding principles and mechanisms of
constitution making in Commonwealth Africa.
Kayode Fayemi is a Fellow of the Centre for Peace
and Conflict Studies, University of Ibadan, Adjunct
Professor of Security Studies at the African Centre
for Strategic Studies, National Defense University,
Fort McNair, Washington, D.C., USA. He was also a
Visiting Professor in the African Studies Programme
at Northwestern University, Evanston, USA in 2004.
Dr Fayemi serves on numerous Boards including the Governing Board of the Open Society Justice
Institute, Baobab for Women’s Human Rights,
African Security Sector Network, and on the
Advisory Board of the Global Facilitation Network on Security Sector Reform and on the Management
Culture Board of the ECOWAS Secretariat.

Needed a professional driver to deliver to car(s) safely to your choice destination in Nigeria? Then call Tosin on 08171358892.
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2015
BALLOSKI:
so if you are a professional in your field , let's say you are a doctor, so delving into politics and becoming the governor of your state automatically makes you a politician who read maybe political science and not mbbs?

wen ur a doctor and u have not practiced for the past 12 years like Dr ngige, I assure u u are not qualified to lead the medical sector.
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 01, 2015
wirinet:

Seun needs put install age verification on nairaland before allowing registration, there are too many senseless threads by immature children on this forum lately.

This one is telling us that only Igbos are technocrats (i wonder if the OP understands this word) and Fashola and Fayemi does not fit the his definition.

I keep feeling that Igbos have a general complex problem, because we are inundated daily by Igbos are this, Igbos are that and all others are not.

A person does not bestow greatness on himself, greatness is bestowed by a consensus of others.

Who is this blatant chronic foooool Did I tell u igbos are technocrats
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Gbawe: 2:40pm On Oct 01, 2015
emmatok:

Even Soludo is a Politician, I remember how he was rejected at the Anambra governorship primary.

Nonsense. Soludo dabbled in politics but that does not invalidate the fact he remains a brilliant and accomplished technocrat by every definition of the word. I don't agree with everything he does but I will never deny others due credit because of sentiments or bias. You do know Soludo is an economics professor who has extensive experience of service delivery to his name? If such a man is not a technocrat, simply because he got involved in politics, then who is? Sentiments, driven by innate bias, is the bane of productive discussion on Nairaland.
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by IlekeHD: 2:43pm On Oct 01, 2015
Lmao @ front page grin
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by IlekeHD: 2:44pm On Oct 01, 2015
Lemme just leave this right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2UzZrgwxg
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 01, 2015
The reason for all the noise here (according to Bubu) is, Most contributors to this discuss really don't know who a Technocrat is and they also don't know who a Bureaucrat is either.

Understanding the difference will expunge all the wrong views opined by most commenters.

Technocrats are individuals with technical training and occupations who perceive many important societal problems as being solvable, often while proposing technology-focused solutions. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy...

A bureaucrat is a member of a bureaucracy. The purpose of a bureaucracy is to successfully implement the actions of an organization of any size (but often associated with large entities such as government, corporations, and non-governmental organizations), in achieving its purpose and mission, and the bureaucracy is tasked to determine how it can achieve its purpose and mission with the greatest possible efficiency and at the least cost of any resources. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureaucracy...

A technocracy refers to a government or a society run by technical experts as against a government run by politicians. Businessmen, entrepreneurs, civil servants, bankers, diplomats and sundry professionals struggle to classify themselves as technocrats. Nobody wants to be referred to as a politician. Even those who have contested election and lost and those who won and served their terms in office would still tell you – I am not a politician. They would prefer to be called technocrats. It is more prestigious and dignifying.

A preponderance of technocrats in government requires further interrogation and should begin with the basic question of who really is a technocrat?

Technocracy derives from the Greek words TEKHNE, meaning skill and KRATOS, meaning power – to govern or to rule. The term technocracy was originally used to designate the application of the scientific method to solve social problems as against the traditional economic, political or philosophical approaches. Technocrats are primarily driven by their cognitive problem-solution mindsets. I would add that to qualify as a technocrat, a person must possess intellectual capability beyond mere technical competence. Intellectuality breeds the creativity that begets change.

That intellectual capability should be evidenced in written and published works. Yes, because there is no such thing as a closet intellectual. A technocrat is not the opposite of a politician. That a person does not belong to a political party does not make him a technocrat. The diminishing intellectual content of our politics should not make us lose sight of the fact that our founding fathers were highly intellectual politicians whose political and administrative acumen are yet to be matched by later day politicians and technocrats alike.

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Akinwunmi Adeshina have documented works to their credit in addition to their tenures as international bureaucrats and can wear the technocratic toga with pride. My point is that not all bureaucrats or professionals are technocrats. A bureaucrat is a bureaucrat. A professional in any field is a professional. A technocrat is that and more.

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan did not quite give a definition of a technocrat when he addressed the Nigerian diaspora community at the New York Plaza Hotel on September 22, 2013. He said that he went out of his way to appoint ‘transformers’ to help him achieve his objectives. The President explained that his goal was to bring in more technocrats to the cabinet and not just politicians and that was why he brought in people like Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala [Finance Minister], Dr Akin Adeshina [Agriculture Minister] and Olusegun Aganga [Minister for Trade and Industry].

The President went further to say that all of them have performed very well and it is to their credit that his government has been able to transform the agricultural sector, attract more investments into the country and kept the economy on track. The President did not define a technocrat but by classifying them as ‘transformers’, that is to say agents of change, he introduced the right and proper perspective of the word, technocrat.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/technocrat/

Thought i should share this piece so as to enhance a robust and intellectual discuss.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Gbawe: 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
I think sensible folks appreciate the prejudice that motivated this thread. Personally I don't approve of the choice of Oyinlola as a minister and I don't think he will become one but Fayemi and Fashola will be Ministers and I can bet they will be exemplary ministers who will deliver and be solid 'anchors' of the Buhari Presidency. I would love fashola to get power or works/infrastructure. Anyone who does not like that some Yoruba politicians will become ministers , for whatever reason, will have to live with their own personal frustration. This is what politics is about. I.e deploy the right strategy, win elections and select your own team. Losers, especially those who backed GEJ clannishly, have no say here. This is the sad reality of politics and people would get this if they don't view every single thing sentimentally.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by Ayekotoo(m): 3:23pm On Oct 01, 2015
onenaira3:

My sentiments exactly excluding utomi though
The same Pat Utomi that was of the guys that wrecked bank PHB. You are a joke
Re: Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW by laudate: 11:44am On Oct 05, 2015
jumobi1:
Fayemi, our Foreign minister is a technocrat.
Technocrats can be politicians too

Hmmn.. am not saying Fayemi is a wrong candidate, but a retired diplomat with experience in the field of international affairs and diplomacy would have been a better choice as foreign minister. undecided

Remember the late Ambassador Gbenga Ashiru? He deployed his vast experience as a diplomat with full effect, when he made the UK back down on that silly deposit of thousands of pounds they were planning to charge Nigerians who wanted British visas in 2013. sad And he got the South African authorities to swallow their words, when he turned back an SA plane without allowing SA nationals on board to disembark, during that furore over fake yellow cards some time ago. That chap commanded respect for Nigeria. May his soul rest in peace. cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News: Igbos In Los Angeles Response To Nnamdi Kanu Will Shock You / I Will Pay The N30,000 Minimum Wage If Elected ~ Hon. Razaq Atunwa / Epileptic Power Supply: Nigeria To Partner Egypt On Electricity Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.