Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,901 members, 7,810,465 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech (27977 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili: "Buhari's Independence Day Speech Is Divisive & Uninspiring" / Nigerians React As Reno Omokri Exposes Many Lies Of Buhari Independence Speech / "I Call On President Buhari To Release Nnamdi Kanu" -- Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by egift(m): 7:05am On Oct 01, 2015
Let us know your take take-away on President Buhari's speech this morning.

"Nobody should be afraid of me, we are not against anyone".
"Apart from NNPC, I have order a comprehensive audit on all sources of revenues in Nigeria"
- President Buhari

Update: Full Speech Text
“October 1st is a day for joy and celebrations for us Nigerians, whatever the circumstances we find ourselves in because it is the day, 55 years ago; we liberated ourselves from the shackles of colonialism and began our long march to nationhood and to greatness.

“No temporary problems or passing challenges should stop us from honouring this day. Let us remind ourselves of the gifts God has given us. Our Creator has bequeathed to us Numbers – Nigeria is the ninth most populated country on the planet. We have in addition arable land; water; forests; oil and gas; coastline; and solid minerals

“We have all the attributes of a great nation. We are not there yet because the one commodity we have been unable to exploit to the fullest is unity of purpose. This would have enabled us to achieve not only more orderly political evolution and integration but also continuity and economic progress.

“Countries far less endowed have made greater economic progress by greater coherence and unity of purpose.
“Nonetheless, that we have remained together is an achievement we should all appreciate and try to consolidate. We have witnessed this year a change in our democratic development.

“The fact that an opposition party replaced an entrenched government in a free and fair election is indicative of the deeper roots of our democratic system. Whatever one’s views are, Nigerians must thank former President Jonathan for not digging-in in the face of defeat and thereby saving the country untold consequences.

“As I said in my inaugural speech, I bear no ill will against anyone on past events. Nobody should fear anything from me. We are not after anyone. People should only fear the consequences of their actions. I hereby invite everyone, whatever his or her political view to join me in working for the nation.

“My countrymen and women, every new government inherits problems. Ours was no different. But what Nigerians want are solutions, quick solutions not a recitation of problems inherited.

“Accordingly, after consultations with the Vice President, senior party leaders and other senior stakeholders, I quickly got down to work on the immediate, medium-term and long-term problems which we must solve if we are to maintain the confidence which Nigerians so generously bestowed on us in the March elections and since then.

“As you know, I toured the neighbouring countries, marshalled a coalition of armed forces of the five nations to confront and defeat Boko Haram. I met also the G-7 leaders and other friendly presidents in an effort to build an international coalition against Boko Haram.

“Our gallant armed forces under new leadership have taken the battle to the insurgents, and severely weakened their logistical and infrastructural capabilities. Boko Haram are being scattered and are on the run.

“That they are resorting to shameless attacks on soft targets such as I.D.P. camps is indicative of their cowardice and desperation. I have instructed security and local authorities to tighten vigilance in vulnerable places.

On power, government officials have held a series of long sessions over several weeks about the best way to improve the nation’s power supply in the safest and most cost-effective way.

“In the meantime, improvement in the power supply is moderately encouraging. By the same token, supply of petrol and kerosene to the public has improved throughout the country. All the early signs are that within months the whole country would begin to feel a change for the better.

“Preliminary steps have been taken to sanitize NNPC and improve its operations so that the inefficiency and corruption could be reduced to a minimum.

“Those of our refineries which can be serviced and brought back into partial production would be enabled to resume operations so that the whole sordid business of exporting crude and importing finished products in dubious transactions could be stopped.

“In addition to NNPC, I have ordered a complete audit of our other revenue generating agencies mainly CBN, FIRS, Customs, NCC, for better service delivery to the nation. Prudent house-keeping is needed now more than ever in view of the sharp decline in world market oil prices. It is a challenge we have to face squarely. But what counts is not so much what accrues but how we manage our resources.

“We have seen in the last few years how huge resources were mismanaged, squandered and wasted. The new APC government is embarking on a clean up, introducing prudence and probity in public financing.

“At an early stage, the federal government addressed the issue of salary arrears in many states, a situation capable of degenerating into social unrest. The APC government stepped in to provide short-term support to the debtor states and enabled them to pay off the backlog and restore the livelihood of millions of Nigerians.

“Fellow Nigerians, there have been a lot of anxiety and impatience over the apparent delay in announcement of ministers. There is no cause to be anxious. Our government set out to do things methodically and properly. We received the handing over notes from the outgoing government only four days before taking over. Consequently, the Joda Transition Committee submitted its Report on the reorganization of Federal Government structure after studying the hand over notes. It would have been haphazard to announce ministers when the government had not finalized the number of ministries to optimally carry the burden of governance.

“Anyway, the wait is over. The first set of names for ministerial nominees for confirmation has been sent to the senate. Subsequent lists will be forwarded in due course. Impatience is not a virtue. Order is more vital than speed. Careful and deliberate decisions after consultations get far better results. And better results for our country is what the APC government for CHANGE is all about.

“I would like to end my address this morning on our agenda for CHANGE. Change does not just happen. You and I and all of us must appreciate that we all have our part to play if we want to bring change about. We must change our lawless habits, our attitude to public office and public trust. We must change our unruly behaviour in schools, hospitals, market places, motor parks, on the roads, in homes and offices. To bring about change, we must change ourselves by being law-abiding citizens.

“Happy Independence Celebrations. Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/nigeria-at-55-read-full-text-of-president-buharis-speech/

48 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by ganja06(m): 7:07am On Oct 01, 2015
So Buhari wants me to believe he cram that whole speech? #adonbelieveit.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by seunlayi(m): 7:08am On Oct 01, 2015
Embarrass-----+ they should endeavor to subtitle his speech. I actually blamed those that boycotted his speech at the UN but now I know

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by tosinbabe(f): 7:08am On Oct 01, 2015
So far so gud

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Nobody: 7:09am On Oct 01, 2015
Fantastic

We are methodological in our approach to government, it's not so much about speed without getting things right.

109 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by warrior01: 7:10am On Oct 01, 2015
Can someone tell me what this man is saying! The speech is not being translated and no interpreter is by his side, how do we understand him?

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by hisgrace090: 7:12am On Oct 01, 2015
Great.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by billionman: 7:12am On Oct 01, 2015
It looks like a prerecorded video. It doesn't look like a live speech. Notice the video transitions. I could be wrong though. Nice speech Mr President.

19 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by egift(m): 7:13am On Oct 01, 2015
Very specific and concise on the major issues. He also said, every Nigerian should be thank former President Jonathan for saving us the troubles by leaving peacefully.

"Nigerians need Change and need it fast....the wait is over" - President Buhari.

67 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Kenzico(m): 7:14am On Oct 01, 2015
I can't understand what he's saying too

15 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 01, 2015
My President is realy ON POINT!

38 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Meritbaba(m): 7:14am On Oct 01, 2015
Excellent, Anyone who claimed he can't heard the president should have is brain checked or cleanse his heart of hatred, Better accept the fact he would be your president for the next four years to come.

160 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by lurther: 7:15am On Oct 01, 2015
SMH!!!

Is this guy sick?

It was not a live speech though

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Tofax: 7:15am On Oct 01, 2015
billionman:
It looks like a prerecorded video. It doesn't look like a live speech. Notice the video transitions. I could be wrong though. Nice speech Mr President.
True.

14 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by egift(m): 7:15am On Oct 01, 2015
Cc: lalasticlala - oga your attention is needed.
Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by shiinihost: 7:15am On Oct 01, 2015
change don't just happen, we must work together to bring about change.......PMB

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by warrior01: 7:16am On Oct 01, 2015
egift:
Very specific and concise on the major issues. He also said, every Nigerian should be thank former President Jonathan for saving us the troubles by leaving peacefully.

"Nigerians need Change and need it fast....the wait is over" - President Buhari.

Are you now the interpreter?

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by eyesofgod: 7:18am On Oct 01, 2015
I just woke up. I'll be right back.

I'm back.
One thing I observed, at every turn, is the display of party loyalty
"...APC government will...APC government shall...APC government is..."

Previously,
"...My government will...I shall... I go...I must to... my government is going to...trust me...bear with me..."
Loyalty to self.

19 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by moufan: 7:18am On Oct 01, 2015
amazing, concise and loaded

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Aufbauh(m): 7:19am On Oct 01, 2015
Brief and concise yet touched all aspects of our lives
It is reassuring and encompassing, not divisive & partisan.
Friend to all law abiding citizens both wailers and the progressives.

Congratulations Nigerians!

Long live PMB
Long live APC
Long live Federal Republic of Nigeria

Sign: Presidential Independent day spokesman on nairaland.
Rt. Hon Aufbauh

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by egift(m): 7:19am On Oct 01, 2015
warrior01:
Are you now the interpreter?

My bros, abeg face the topic. It is too early to start acting like this. Happy Independence.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by lorbah001(m): 7:20am On Oct 01, 2015
K
Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by oshyno(m): 7:20am On Oct 01, 2015
Not bad. We are already used to speeches anyways. Action naim we need.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by disloman(m): 7:20am On Oct 01, 2015
The best ever.Hope restored.I believe Nigeria will be great in my lifetime.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:21am On Oct 01, 2015
"Nobody should be afraid of me. People should be afraid of the consequences of their actions."

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Tallesty1(m): 7:21am On Oct 01, 2015
Meritbaba:
Excellent, Anyone who claimed he can't heard the president should have is brain checked or cleanse his heart of hatred, Better accept the fact he would be your president for the next four years to come.
I think they should just install Google translate apk in their head.

11 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by DMerciful(m): 7:21am On Oct 01, 2015
Focus still on Niger delta oil......just normal speech, no details as usual.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Smooyis(m): 7:21am On Oct 01, 2015
The bomb
Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 01, 2015
May God help him actualise his promises!! Amen

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by disloman(m): 7:22am On Oct 01, 2015
oshyno:
Not bad. We are already used to speeches anyways. Action naim we need.
I understand you.Go and die.sorry for the word but you need them.I'm sorry.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by simongonner: 7:23am On Oct 01, 2015
always on point....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Take On President Buhari's Independence Day Speech by rottenegg: 7:23am On Oct 01, 2015
Same nonsense no action. Action is what we need not long speeches.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Military Takes Delivery Of Attack Helicopters / Bodies Of Boko Haram Terrorists Buried In Shallow Graves In Borno.Graphic Photos / Court Of Appeal Sacks Alhassan Doguwa, House Of Reps Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.