Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) (5010 Views)

Looking For A Favourite Gospel/artist Music? / Opportunity For Unsigned Nigerian Artist: Music Collaboration With Eldee & Possi / Hot New Naija Female Artist (Chelle) - Please Rate Her Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by chrisandy: 11:14pm On Apr 20, 2009
Notice that there are Top 10 Nigeria music artists and None is a Hot Diva?
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by Dotman01(m): 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2009
Wats d definatn of an hot diva
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by chrisandy: 11:46pm On Apr 20, 2009
Hot diva means a sexy female star like beyounce,rihanna etc.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by asha80(m): 11:49pm On Apr 20, 2009
Weird Mc tongue
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by rapjunkie(m): 10:19am On Apr 21, 2009
I don't know much about diva's BUT

We are yet to produce a decent female rapper because all of them at the moment rap with an annoying deep american accent . . . . . . . .  . . . . .and thats sasha and da trybes fault.

The game is crying out for an original naija female MC
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by Bamsyle(m): 2:09pm On Apr 21, 2009
chrisandy:

Hot diva means a sexy female star like beyounce,rihanna etc.

Sexy . . . I ain't sure this is what this thread's all about . . . plus definitions of a diva are several . . . and they vary . . . Beyonce called a diva "a female version of a hustla" . . .

Going strictly by the wordings of this thread . . . I believe there was an era when Nigeria used to have "hot female artistes" . . . 'hot' meaning they were grossly talented . . . even good enough for the international scene . . . these include:

Onyeka Onwenu - Grace, Elegance, Style, Huge talent (methinks this diva still has a lot of unsung hits in her belly)
Christy Essien-Igbokwe (sonorous voice/wonderful performer . . . words ain't enough . . .)
Stella Monye (astounding)
Lijadu Sisters (what's that word again? . . . erm . . . "mellifluous"wink
Evi Edna Ogholi (haha . . . "Make U Dey Look Road B4 U Cross"wink
Esse Agese (beauty + brains . . . good voice . . . I remember "Fine Pepper Soupe"wink

And I know I'm forgetting some . . .

The new generation artistes are just trying IMO . . . though it must be mentioned that Asa belongs to the A-class . . . and Yinka Davies is still kickin' it anyway . . . also notable amongst them are Kween, Soty, Lara, TY Bello . . . not sure one can include a rapper in this list . . . Blaise and Sasha are just promising . . .

The reason for this dearth Methinks - (1) Naija female musicians go through a lot to survive in the music profession . . . they prolly have to work twice as hard as their male counterparts to earn a top spot . . .

(2) Most stakeholders on the Naija Music Scene - producers, managers, promoters et al, prefer doing biz with male artistes.

(3) I don't know . . .  cheesy

The tables might just turn some time later. . . and we might have an influx of Nigerian music divas . . . someday . . . maybe . . . someday.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by rapjunkie(m): 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2009
@ Bamsyle

whats the name of the girl who sang a cover of ' taxi driver' ? was it Mandy something? she was hot!!

and Tina Onwudiwe, who was a diva without doubt

also, whats the name of the young girl who sang ' if i had the wings of a dove' in the 80's i can't remember her name but she was very popular at the time. i wonder what happened to her?
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by Bamsyle(m): 5:34pm On Apr 21, 2009
rapjunkie:

@ Bamsyle

whats the name of the girl who sang a cover of ' taxi driver' ? was it Mandy something? she was hot!!

Yes, Mandy Brown-Ojugbana.

and Tina Onwudiwe, who was a diva without doubt

I knew I forgot some names . . . God rest her gentle soul . . . the African Oyinbo was a diva.

also, whats the name of the young girl who sang ' if i had the wings of a dove' in the 80's i can't remember her name but she was very popular at the time. i wonder what happened to her?

Yeah . . . If I had a wing like a dove (2x) I will fly, fly away . . . her name's Yvonne Maha . . . there are rumours 'bout her death but I heard she's alive and lives in Brazil.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by rapjunkie(m): 7:08pm On Apr 21, 2009
Yvonne Maha!! That's it!! Memories. She also had this song called ' don't treat me like a child' I still know the lyrics and melody of the song ( shame!! grin) . . . . . I can see my street cred on NL quickly going down the plug hole.  grin grin

Bamsyle, you certainly know your naija music.

I take off my cap to you

African Oyinbo. . . . .R I P    she was definitely a source of inspiration to people who wanted to think outside the box

Mandy Brown . . . .she was cool too. Did a great cover of 'taxi driver'. I think her album did quite well at the time.

Back to the present day

I saw a kween video the other day and I  laughed so much it hurt. It's the one where she has water poured on her head for presumably a ' sexy scene' and she is obviously choking while trying to get through the lyrics and look sexy and gyrate against a wall at the same time. Do you see what Shakira and Beyonce have caused?

Embarrassing!! She needs to put more work in her videos  than just turning up with an oversized afro.

I think Omawunmi could go far but needs the right songs. She has one of the best voices in Naija at the moment.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by ElRazur: 7:13pm On Apr 21, 2009
rapjunkie:

African Oyinbo. . . . .R I P    she was definitely a source of inspiration to people who wanted to think outside the box

She's dead? shocked Please fill me in.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by Bamsyle(m): 7:53pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Rapjunkie

Yes . . . she did "Don't Treat Me Like A Child" . . . also "Layo" . . . funny enough I never got wind of her or her songs until a couple of years back when I was diggin' up 'dusty' archives for Naija oldies . . .

Your street cred You're damn funny . . . grin

Tina . . . yes she was great . . . dunno why but she cuts the female alter ego of Charly Boy to me . . . she had this memorable song with a crazzzzy video back then (Black on Black or sumn) . . . her death was a painful blow to Naija music.

I also remember Funmi Adams . . .

Hey, Peggy Essiet (RIP), Lorraine Okotie, Bunmi Olajubu ( grin), Nelly Uchendu (RIP), Oby Onyioha . . . erm . . . prolly B-Class divas

I prefer Kween to Omawunmi . . . she's got a better voice (IMO) . . . has got the looks/presence . . . she could work on her self-consciousness anyway . . . seems she stresses her looks more than her talent . . . but she's talented.

ElRazur:

She's dead?

Yep . . . long long ago . . .
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by chiogo(f): 10:03pm On Apr 21, 2009
rapjunkie:

Bamsyle, you certainly know your naija music.

I take off my cap to you

Not even, he equally knows about his international music. cheesy

Yes, I know Onyeka Onwenu from the list, the others I sincerely never heard of them. But I still don't know the ones from this present generation - Blaise, TY bello and co. I've listened to Sasha once, she's iight.

Definitely like Asa. Nigeria sure needs more 'divas'.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by asha80(m): 10:12pm On Apr 21, 2009
nnena should be one if she releases her album.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by ElRazur: 11:05am On Apr 22, 2009
Bamsyle.

Thanks for the seun rere track. Brings back memory.

There is one am after, dunno if you or anyone can get hold of it. The title is "Belinda" and it goes something like "Belida ooooo aaaaaa ooooo Belinda, " etc.

Also there is another popular one from the 80s that shows a guy break dancing in the streets singing "Silifa ba mi jo"

Anyone know what am on about? grin

PS
Other links on rapidshare are dead. sad
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by lalaboi(m): 11:06am On Apr 22, 2009
iSIT belinda by remedies? lol
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by ElRazur: 11:11am On Apr 22, 2009
lalaboi:

iSIT belinda by remedies? lol

No way! This was from the 80s and done by some guy that was DEFINITELY NOT Remedies. I have a feeling remedies probably coped him. grin
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by lalaboi(m): 11:17am On Apr 22, 2009
then again. . . .we talking about naija divas here lol. . . . . . .

@topic

Beacause ladies in naija too like money tongue . . . .they feed off men. . . .**jokes**
Then again, they prefer showing us what their mamma gave them on songs. . , rather than singing it lol

with Mo-chedah,blaise, simisola, asa, omowunmi and some others. . . .they gaining some initiative. . . .pretty soon they'll flood the industry. . .
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by ElRazur: 11:21am On Apr 22, 2009
Bamsyle

Guess what! Im jumping up and down in the living room trying to do the igbo dance to the Teta Nu Na Ula track. It is your fault as I cant stop dancing. grin
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by Bamsyle(m): 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
grin grin grin

You're welcome ElRazur . . . "Belinda" was by Grady Harrell . . . I don't have the download link . . . but you can watch the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GukfpyNj_ww

Ain't a Nigerian though . . . Lalaboi, pls come to the rescue . . .  tongue

Wow . . . "Silifa bamijo, Silifa (2x)" . . .  grin grin . . . funny song . . . it was by Bola Abimbola . . . I'll look around for it.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by lalaboi(m): 1:29pm On Apr 22, 2009
Bamsyle:

grin grin grin

You're welcome ElRazur . . . "Belinda" was by Grady Harrell . . . I don't have the download link . . . but you can watch the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GukfpyNj_ww

Ain't a Nigerian though . . . Lalaboi, pls come to the rescue . . .  tongue

Wow . . . "Silifa bamijo, Silifa (2x)" . . .  grin grin . . . funny song . . . it was by Bola Abimbola . . . I'll look around for it.

them remedies na king copy cats lmao!
http://www.esnips.com/doc/d601196b-2c66-4988-984b-3bf05dbcef8c/Grady-Harrell---Belinda
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by ElRazur: 1:45pm On Apr 22, 2009
Bamsyle

Yo man Zap you man and I mean that in a thank you way. Tears down my eyes and am here jumping, I cracked up the amp and the speakers jumping to belinda. I love you man [not in a gay mofo]

lalaboi
Any way you can convert this to mp3 please? I can't download it from your link, it is asking me for password.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by ElRazur: 2:19pm On Apr 22, 2009
Registered and downloaded it now. Thanks.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by lasanta: 4:56am On Aug 17, 2009
@ Bamsyle, thanx for the links, but can't download any of the files, keep getting file unavailable error.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by Fimile: 5:14am On Aug 17, 2009
Oga Bamsyle, Am drooling over the songs you pasted the links to above but i can't download them, abeg help, abeg.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by slimshay(m): 8:07am On Aug 17, 2009
chei, bamysle, seriously man, you are sometin else!!!
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by mbulela: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2009
rapjunkie:

I don't know much about diva's BUT

We are yet to produce a decent female rapper because all of them at the moment rap with a fake annoying deep american accent . . . . . . . .  . . . . .and thats sasha and da trybes fault.

The game is crying out for an original naija female MC

you forgot to add fake.
very nauseating. in my opinion, Kel is the worst.

@poster, from the present scene, the only viable hope is Omawumi.
she is good, has a good voice and the boldness and courage to take risks and be different.
the only thing is i hope she finds good and outstanding songs to sing.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by slimshay(m): 8:26am On Aug 17, 2009
well if our 'divas' wont be original then they cant really be well appreciated. no one needs to ask why asa is the bomb, its obvious. but then again are we going to flog the female rappers while 'hailing' the male rappers? i'm talking abouth trying to replicate the style of foreign acts, even with the accents?
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by shadyBaba: 4:21pm On Aug 17, 2009
what a man can do, a woman has got to to a lot more to match up. the thing is our female artists, not only in rap but especially in R and B are not really motivational or even (no offence) inteligent enough. all i see is a singer showing off their B**bs and stuff in videos but that's not what we want. so if a lady wants to match up with the men, then she's got to bring something as special as ASA's work to be considered a "Real Deal". most of our MC's (female) are eithe jacking rhymes or trying to sound janded and that ain't working for now. 'nuff said.
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by asha80(m): 4:37pm On Aug 17, 2009
shadyBaba:

what a man can do, a woman has got to to a lot more to match up. the thing is our female artists, not only in rap but especially in R and B are not really motivational or even (no offence) inteligent enough. all i see is a singer showing off their B**bs and stuff in videos but that's not what we want. so if a lady wants to match up with the men, then she's got to bring something as special as ASA's work to be considered a "Real Deal". most of our MC's (female) are eithe jacking rhymes or trying to sound janded and that ain't working for now. 'nuff said.

Fragrance,Kel
Re: Why Cant Nigeria Produce Hot Female Artist (music Divas) by luvhenry(m): 8:43am On Sep 25, 2011
Haba, we have goldie, tiwa salvage

(1) (Reply)

Kizz Daniel "Shuperu" Mp3 Download - New Song / How To Dance Etighi(nigerian Efik Dance) / Who Is Your Best American Rapper- Drake, Eminem Or Lilwayne?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.