Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Oracle Buys Sun - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Oracle Buys Sun (927 Views)

Apple Buys Hopstop.com From Nigerian Entrepreneur Chinedu Echeruo For $1 Billion / Whats My Worth As A Sun Certified Java Developer / 12 Year-old Nigerian Bags Sun's Java Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oracle Buys Sun by sedeagu(m): 9:21am On Apr 21, 2009
Oracle Corp. struck a surprise deal to buy Sun Microsystems Inc. for $7.38 billion, elbowing aside International Business Machines Corp. in the latest sign that a few well-heeled giants are exploiting the recession to snap up weaker players.

---

Wall Street Journal , APRIL 21, 2009

Oracle Snatches Sun, Foiling IBM

Oracle Corp. struck a surprise deal to buy Sun Microsystems Inc. for $7.38 billion, elbowing aside International Business Machines Corp. in the latest sign that a few well-heeled giants are exploiting the recession to snap up weaker players.

Oracle, which has spent more than $30 billion buying software rivals in recent years, swung into action Thursday after talks between IBM and Sun had stalled, people familiar with the matter said.

IBM still held out hope over the weekend that Sun would accept a bid from the big computer maker, these people said, but Sun's board voted in favor of Oracle's offer, which was viewed as less likely to face an antitrust challenge since there was little business overlap.

IBM is highly unlikely to re-enter the bidding for Sun, said people familiar with the matter.

After factoring in Sun's cash and debt, the companies valued Oracle's offer at about $5.6 billion. Sun shareholders will get $9.50 a share in cash. Sun's stock surged 37% on the news Monday to $9.15.

Sun, whose server computers have long been sold along with Oracle's database software, was widely believed to need a bigger partner to compete with giants such as IBM, Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc. Sun has suffered from erratic profitability and revenue problems since a boom phase ended with the collapse of the dot-com bubble.

Oracle has emerged as one of the most powerful players on the tech landscape, buying rivals to assemble a long list of programs used by companies.

The deal gives Oracle control over important Sun software -- notably the popular programming technology called Java, which is used to build software for Web sites and cellphones. Oracle Chief Executive Larry Ellison described Java as "the single most important software asset we have ever acquired."

Some analysts said they were stunned by Mr. Ellison's move, predicting that Oracle may eventually choose to divest Sun's hardware business. But Safra Catz, one of two Oracle presidents, said Oracle intends to make Sun's hardware operations a profitable business unit.

---
Re: Oracle Buys Sun by X2X(m): 10:35pm On Apr 22, 2009
How did I miss this one. . . Thanks for the heads up.

Thread might get more reponses in the computer/programming boards.
Re: Oracle Buys Sun by candylips(m): 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2009
Yep i actually didn't see it coming . . oracle and sunĀ 
Re: Oracle Buys Sun by deebsman1(m): 7:02pm On Apr 26, 2009
This is like the kind of stuff that happened during the rockefeller's day. oracle is actually dominating the market. nice and bad. undecided. tongue
Re: Oracle Buys Sun by candylips(m): 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2009
They have recently been on an aquisition bing. First they acquired BEA , then they acquired RedHat now Sun.

They seem to have forgotten how to code. I don't think Oracle will bring anything innovative to Java. They are just probably going to milk all sources of revenues that can lay their handsĀ (solaris, sun guard servers) sad

I think we are heading into another fu*cking Monopoly.
Re: Oracle Buys Sun by npang(m): 8:42pm On Apr 28, 2009
I'm scared i hope this is not the end of Java as we know it. Would Oracle make the Java Certification process similar to that of its products? if that is the case, then , (dont know what to say, but i think it is not a good idea)

(1) (Reply)

How To Redirect A Website Based On Screen Resolution / 12 And 15 Year Old Boys Creates Fast Web Browser / Apply For Djangogirls Event At Ota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.