Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

. . . Infinity . . . - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / . . . Infinity . . . (3387 Views)

New Infinity Tv Frequency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 1:59am On Oct 04, 2015

hey there, guys . . . smiley

i recently received a mention from the dairies section, urging me to visit the science section more often, and at this time i was in the art world.

so, here i am and . . . i have a rather fascinating topic I've been thinking about and doing thought experiments about. and er . . . yeah, it's quite an intruiging one. ALTHOUGH, it's is a very mathematical topic. so, put on your thinking cap on, guys grin grin

So what is infinity?

well, the concept of infinity first occurred to me when i was a child. about er . . . five or six . . when, in the toilet, cheesy . . . i saw a bottle of harpic toilet cleaner on the wash basin and noticed that the bottle had a picture of itself on it. as in, on the bottle, there was a picture of it, cleaning a toilet or whatever . . .
and i was like, wait a second, what if that bottle pictured on this bottle had a picture of itself on it? and that picture had another picture of the picture of this bottle on it and that had . . . shocked shocked shocked

the concept was shocking to my juvenile mind, of course. i became depressed over the following days because i couldn't find out what would happen if that continued forever. sad

but anyway. grin now i know that NO ONE KNOWS! and that's cool. for now. grin
so, infinity is the size of no limit. no bounds. if something were to progress forever and ever, we would call it infinite. as in, having a quality of being endless.

take for instance, the set of natural numbers. i.e 1,2,3,4 . . .
no matter how far you go with that, there will still be more to find. no matter how big. whether it is the number of stars in the known universe,(1023) or the number of atoms in the universe, (1087) or even the LIFESPAN of the universe.(10100) there is simply nothing bigger than that.

another example of infinity is the set of even natural numbers. i.e 2,4,6,8 . . .

but wait a second. if we match the set of natural numbers with the set of the even natural numbers, we find that the for every term in the even number set, there are two terms from the natural numbers set. this illustrated below.

so . . . by common sense, the set of natural numbers is clearly twice longer than that of the even natural numbers. right?

wrong. grin. as bizzare as it seems, they are exactly the length. this is because for every natural number, there is an even number to match it.

as illustrated below.

the procedure is the same with any infinite sequence. . . or is it?
for there are some infinites which are indeed bigger than others. grin

infact, there are two major types of infinity.

1. countable infinity.
2. uncountable infinity.

relax. this is still a maths thread. we have not ventured into English. grin

as the names so aptly describe, countable infinity is one that we can count. like for instance, the set of positive integers. i.e 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . these are also the natural numbers. the set of even and odd numbers as well. smiley

you can obviously count them. grin

the set of real numbers on the other hand, fall into the realm of uncountable infinity. why? well, because you can't count them. literally. for instance, let us try counting the number of real numbers between zero and one.

0, 0.1, 0.2, . . . wait a minute, that's not correct at all, 0, 0.01, 0.002 . . .arrgh, that isn't correct either. angry. 0, 0.0001, 0.0002 . . .

eventually, you will realize that it is pretty much impossible. after 0, what comes next? what ever you think it is, you can always add another zero. forever. embarassed

they are obviously bigger than countable infinities. in fact, there are more real numbers between zero and one than there are natural numbers in their entirety.

proof?

well, let's start by matching every natural number with every number between 0 and 0.1
match 3 with 0.0 . . . 03 50 with 0.0 . . . 50 and any whole number n with 0.0 . . . 0n

after doing this, change the first number after the decimal point and you will end up with a new term which has not been paired! cool, right? shocked

as you have probably guessed, infinity is a wierdo. grin. but now, it's time to see it's wierdness in full glory. below is a list of some of the amazing phenomena that infinity holds. cool

1. Hilbert's paradox of the Grand Hotel.

so, this asks, is it possible to fill a "Grand Hotel" which has an infinite number of rooms, with an infinite number of guests? well, i for one do not know. let's say you can. what then happens when a new guest arrives? there an infinite number of rooms nah, so obviously, the guest will find a room. but if he finds a room, then the hotel was never filled in the first place. but it is said there are an infinite number of guests. so, why can't they fill it?

2. The omnipotent being paradox.
i apologize in advance to theists. this might hurt a bit.

this paradox simply asks, is it possible for an infinitely powerful being, such as an omnipotent God, to create something so infinitely powerful that he/she cannot carry it?
if he can do so, then he/she just made something they cannot move, therefore, they are not infinitely powerful. if they cannot do so, well, they are not omnipotent either way. shocked

3. The library of babel.

in this library, exists every name ever given or will ever be given, every sentence ever said or that will ever be said. the library works by generating an infinite combination of the 26 letters of the english language and the "." '','' and space. it can be found Here and has about 105000 characters. compare that to the number of atoms in the universe and . . . sad sad
i also found my name there. and the day i would die . . . in a possible scenario. which is . . . 2090. cry cry

4. The Hyperwebster.
This is a theoretical dictionary that contains every word that can ever be said using the english. it obviously cannot exist in real life. but consider,
if the first term is A, the second term, AA, the third term AAA, when will the A only term ever end?
after that ends, we have AB, and then AAB, AAAB and so on till we get to zzzzzzzz . . . .
well that sucks. . . grin
if I had a kid and i wanted to punish him for doing something wrong, i would give him an Hyperwebster and ask him to find "Teempakguy". grin grin

The banach-tarski paradox
imagine if you can make 100 naira from 50 naira. by duplicating something and having to exact copies. the banach-tarski is a theorem that states that, it is possible to duplicate a ball into two equal balls the exact same shape and size of the original without stretching or enlarging. but by rotating. the process is insanely complicated. but relies on the fact that a sphere has an infinite amount of points on it's surface, and if they are marked by the directions in which they can be reached, if the ball is then rotated, directions cancel out and the ball mathematically transforms. if the ball is separated into different directional components[it will be four balls. for up, down, right and left directions], they transform into half the ball and when they are combined, we will have two balls! awesome! but only mathematically possible. yet. lipsrsealed

1. zeno's paradox.
ah, this old one. this simply states that if we have two points, A and B. and you wanted to go from A to B, you would have to first pass half of that distance. but damn, in order to get to that half, you need to get to HALF of the first half . . . and so on and so forth. that at the end, you shouldn't even be moving. sad

there are a lot more situations like that. which are as bizzare, of course. like convergence and and approximate values and the circle, and pi . . . but these will be enough for now. i guess. cheesy
the concept of infinity is a very fascinating concept. as i trust you have seen now. and to a mathematical mind, it is nothing less than pure beauty. grin . . . sorry ladies.

so i encourage you, think about it sometime. it will do your brain good. wink

lalasticlala.
Dekatron, johnydon22, robinhez, mrsphyno tongue, queed, xploraben, bqlekan, llaykorn, dearpreye, Blesssed, xploraben, ELYMAXiimus,Freemanan, and everyone! smiley

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: . . . Infinity . . . by abiambo(m): 3:54am On Oct 04, 2015
Lol @ "sorry ladies" u should knw dat some girls are bad ass... most doh idk
The paradox of the omnipotent being doesn't follow... think carefully... nice piece in all
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by RobinHez(m): 8:00am On Oct 04, 2015
Brilliant!!

I learnt a lot here...especially that towerLibrary of Babel.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Dekatron(m): 12:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
Again, teempakguy didnt disappoint.

I actually love infinity. . . . In calculus, INTEGRAL from -INFINITY TO INFINITY sec y dy. . . . . I am gonna solve it during my leisure . . . Oya, can you?? Oya solve am Teempakguy grin grin grin
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by hahn(m): 12:35pm On Oct 04, 2015
Cool.

You guys just keep pointing out how dumb I am grin
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 04, 2015
The banach tarski paradox is a little more specific than that. A sphere is a set of point, and two sphere is also a set of point, those two sets have the same cardinality so there is a bijection between those two.
So you can completely cut a sphere apart (each point making a piece) and recombine the (many many) pieces in order to form 2 sphere, but that's not really interesting and the ancient Greeks already knew that there was as many points in a circle of radius 1 as there is in a circle of radius 2.
So the interesting part of Banach-Tarski is that the pieces are in a finite number (and 5 is that numer) and then can be recombined using only isometry to form 2 spheres. Finite and Isometry are important words here.

And if anyone wonder what is the trick in the Banach tarski paradox it's this : you'd think that it's impossible because it's against conservation of volume but the trick is that the pieces you cut the sphere in to are so complicated and so weird it's not possible to define volume for them. If they don't have a volume then the conservation of volume doesn't mean anything for those pieces and can be "broken".
So : a sphere has a volume, you cut this sphere in 5 specific pieces so strange that they don't have volume (separately), you move the parts so you obtain 2 spheres, those 2 sphere are not so strange and have a well defined volume.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Krystalzkris(f): 5:49pm On Oct 04, 2015
i feel lost here... Joshua can u help me out with this?@Killsmith
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by killsmith(f): 6:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
Krystalzkris:
i feel lost here... Joshua can u help me out with this?@Killsmith
leave all these big grammer...the OP's summary is, concept of infinity...how the natural numbers and the even numbers are equivalent...and there are infinite real numbers between any 2 real numbers.....fear not
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Krystalzkris(f): 6:32pm On Oct 04, 2015
killsmith:
leave all these big grammer...the OP's summary is, concept of infinity...how the natural numbers and the even numbers are equivalent...and there are infinite real numbers between any 2 real numbers.....fear not
gringrincheesy thanks... Now,i get the point..
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by socially4fun: 7:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
The concept of infinity is very tricky. What if I tell you some infinity is greater than some. Example, all prime numbers are a subset of all positive integer.

I can conclude saying, sum of all prime numbers are infinite, but are less than the sum of all positive integers.

Another instance, what if I add infinity plus infinity... will I get infinity or 2Infinity.

Let infinity = X
X + X = 2X
2X > X
2X = infinity
see the twist?
Infinity can be greater than infinity.

Thanks for the insight.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by ELYMAXiimus(m): 8:30pm On Oct 04, 2015
Nice one. But i don't quite agree with the ominipotent being paradox. You lost me there. I don't see how that explains infinity.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by destino24(m): 8:40pm On Oct 04, 2015
Great one Op.
Always had trouble understanding how one infinite set of values can be bigger than another
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nmeri17: 10:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
impressive thread! if there were more threads like this, who would contemplate deactivating their nl accounts??

but there are loopholes in your foolproof and perfect universe of infinite figures. would pick them out in a few

moredeefide
Teempakguy:

so, this asks, is it possible to fill a "Grand Hotel" which has an infinite number of rooms, with an infinite number of guests? well, i for one do not know. let's say you can. what then happens when a new guest arrives? there an infinite number of rooms nah, so obviously, the guest will find a room. but if he finds a room, then the hotel was never filled in the first place. but it is said there are an infinite number of guests. so, why can't they fill it?
I think "we" have a little problem with knowing where to draw the line between finite and infinite. An infinite number of guests do NOT fill up infinite rooms becaaaause if the rooms are infinite then they cannot be filled. Here's a simple question: what is the last number before infinity?? if you are unable to quantify infinite rooms, chances are the hotel will always have a free room.

this paradox simply asks, is it possible for an infinitely powerful being, such as an omnipotent God, to create something so infinitely powerful that he/she cannot carry it?
if he can do so, then he/she just made something they cannot move, therefore, they are not infinitely powerful. if they cannot do so, well, they are not omnipotent either way. shocked
Care to explain this?? you mean, the universe cannot be moved by God??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2015
Hey guys!

i can see that's there's been some problem with the omnipotent paradox.
well, the truth is, i didn't make it up. it's a pretty common paradox in philosophy and sometimes mathematics and is usually used to illustrate the impossibility of infinity occurring in the real world. i am going to give an in depth explanation here. grin

cc abiambo, Nmeri17, ELYMAXiimus.

let us find a very powerful being. so powerful, that his power is infinite. which means he can do anything and everything. we will name him Bronut.

now, Bronut is asked to create a very dense and heavy box. so heavy that he cannot carry it.

the question now is, can he?

does Bronut have the ability to make a box so heavy that he cannot carry it?

1.if bronut can make this box, he will not be able to carry it. and if he cannot carry it, that means his power is limited. not infinite. he cannot do anything after all.

2. if Bronut CANNOT make this box, then is also means that he cannot do everything. His power is not infinite because he cannot do everything as he earlier claimed. including making a box he cannot carry.

another version is, is it possible for an infinitely intelligent entity to create a problem he cannot solve? if he can create such a problem, then we know he is not smart enough to solve his own problems. if he cannot create a problem so difficult that he cannot solve it, then his smartness is not unlimited then.

i hope you got that . . . for more official explanation, LOL, go to wikipedia. HERE.
smiley
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
socially4fun:
The concept of infinity is very tricky. What if I tell you some infinity is greater than some. Example, all prime numbers are a subset of all positive integer.

I can conclude saying, sum of all prime numbers are infinite, but are less than the sum of all positive integers.

Another instance, what if I add infinity plus infinity... will I get infinity or 2Infinity.

Let infinity = X
X + X = 2X
2X > X
2X = infinity
see the twist?
Infinity can be greater than infinity.

Thanks for the insight.
wow! that's totally cool! shocked shocked
you must be very good at math. this is simply elegant.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 05, 2015
hahn:
Cool.

You guys just keep pointing out how dumb I am grin
oh pulease. grin i am sure you are keeping some brilliant surprise from us. grin

Karmanaut:
The banach tarski paradox is a little more specific than that. A sphere is a set of point, and two sphere is also a set of point, those two sets have the same cardinality so there is a bijection between those two.
So you can completely cut a sphere apart (each point making a piece) and recombine the (many many) pieces in order to form 2 sphere, but that's not really interesting and the ancient Greeks already knew that there was as many points in a circle of radius 1 as there is in a circle of radius 2.
So the interesting part of Banach-Tarski is that the pieces are in a finite number (and 5 is that numer) and then can be recombined using only isometry to form 2 spheres. Finite and Isometry are important words here.
And if anyone wonder what is the trick in the Banach tarski paradox it's this : you'd think that it's impossible because it's against conservation of volume but the trick is that the pieces you cut the sphere in to are so complicated and so weird it's not possible to define volume for them. If they don't have a volume then the conservation of volume doesn't mean anything for those pieces and can be "broken".
So : a sphere has a volume, you cut this sphere in 5 specific pieces so strange that they don't have volume (separately), you move the parts so you obtain 2 spheres, those 2 sphere are not so strange and have a well defined volume.
you are indeed right. i was just thinking of a easy way to explain it to laymen. epic fail, i guess. cheesy
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by llaykorn: 12:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
This is a very nice piece, Teempakguy; it takes me back to my childhood days. Daddy used to barb his own hair while we were kids and he would place one mirror behind him and the other in front of him. In that way, he could see the back of his head from the mirror in front of him. One day, I went into his bathroom and stood between the two mirrors and I was quite fascinated to realize that as the mirror in front of me reflected what was on the mirror behind me, the mirror behind me was also reflecting what was reflected on the mirror in front of me. It didn't stop there. The mirror in front of me again was reflecting what the mirror behind me was reflecting of it. Then, it didn't even stop there. I tried over for some days to count how many of the reflections the mirrors showed, but they always got too tiny for my little eyes to see. Hehe

The number of reflections on Daddy's mirrors was definitely infinite.... cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2015
llaykorn:
This is a very nice piece, Teempakguy; it takes me back to my childhood days. Daddy used to barb his own hair while we were kids and he would place one mirror behind him and the other in front of him. In that way, he could see the back of his head from the mirror in front of him. One day, I went into his bathroom and stood between the two mirrors and I was quite fascinated to realize that as the mirror in front of me reflected what was on the mirror behind me, the mirror behind me was also reflecting what was reflected on the mirror in front of me. It didn't stop there. The mirror in front of me again was reflecting what the mirror behind me was reflecting of it. Then, it didn't even stop there. I tried over for some days to count how many of the reflections the mirrors showed, but they always got too tiny for my little eyes to see. Hehe

The number of reflections on Daddy's mirrors was definitely infinite.... cheesy
you're totally right. cheesy
nice comment yourself. grin
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by OmolodMilkman93(m): 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hey guys!

well, the truth is, i didn't make it up. it's a pretty common paradox in philosophy and sometimes mathematics and is usually used to illustrate the impossibility of infinity occurring in the real world. i am going to give an in depth explanation here. grin
There is really no much problem. I feel the problem was using the example "omnipotent God". If you had used this second illustration, there wouldn't have been confusion.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by ELYMAXiimus(m): 6:55pm On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hey guys!

let us find a very powerful being. so powerful, that his power is infinite. which means he can do anything and everything. we will name him Bronut.

now, Bronut is asked to create a very dense and heavy box. so heavy that he cannot carry it.

1.if bronut can make this box, he will not be able to carry it. and if he cannot carry it, that means his power is limited. not infinite. he cannot do anything after all.

2. if Bronut CANNOT make this box, then is also means that he cannot do everything. His power is not infinite because he cannot do everything as he earlier claimed. including making a box he cannot carry.

another version is, is it possible for an infinitely intelligent entity to create a problem he cannot solve? if he can create such a problem, then we know he is not smart enough to solve his own problems. if he cannot create a problem so difficult that he cannot solve it, then his smartness is not unlimited then.

i hope you got that . . . for more official explanation, LOL, go to wikipedia. HERE.
smiley
lmao @ redirection to Wikipedia.
at least you gave a more coherent explanation here.

now, the onlyissue I've got with this is the assumption that the omnipotent being is not able to carry that which he created. I've you heard people say the earth is the resting stool of God's feet?
yeah, that's what they say. so we can't assume that the omnipotent being isn'powerful enough to lift the earth. smiley
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Sheikwonder(m): 7:10pm On Oct 06, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hey guys!

smiley

The problem with the omnipotent paradox is that it relies more on sophistry rather than logic. The solution to resolving such paradoxes is to classify them as reductio ad absurdum. Let me give an example,consider the barber paradox.

Suppose there is a town with just one barber, who is male. In this town, every man keeps himself clean-shaven, and he does so by doing exactly one of two things:

-shaving himself; or
-being shaved by the barber.

Also, "The barber is a man in town who shaves all those, and only those, men in town who do not shave themselves."

The question then is,who shaves the barber?

The obvious answer is that such a barber cannot exist,for if he shaves himself,then he does not shave himself. And if he does not shave himself,then he shaves himself. Since the reduction from this is absurd,it therefore implies that no such barber exists.

Let's relate it to the omnipotent paradox. If we define omnipotent to mean "all powerful",then it means God can do all things. Even the bible says that "With God,all things are possible".

Yet the same bible says that it is impossible for God to lie. Does that imply a contradiction,or a proof that God does not exist? Not quite. Why?

The very nature of God implies that he is holy and cannot sin. God is good,and good cannot lie.Hence it is impossible for God to lie.It does not diminish God's ability.

God is all powerful,yet he cannot do something which would invalidate this immutable ability. He cannot create a stone which he cannot lift. That does not make him less powerful,it only shows that as earlier,the conclusion reached from such a scenario would be absurd.

There are very many paradoxes which can be tweaked to make arguments against the existence of God,but they are pure sophistry,nothing else.

2 Likes

Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 24, 2015
CC Teempakguy

You can divide infinity an
infinite number of times and the resulting
pieces will still be infinite. But if you divide
a non-infinite number an infinte number
of times, the resulting pieces are non-
infinitely small but there is an infinite
number of them. Since they are non
infinitely small with an infinte number of
them, added together, their sum is infinite.
That implies that any number is infact,
infinitegringringrin
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by mrphysics(m): 9:06pm On Dec 24, 2015
nice post. the concept of infinity is what is still a mystery in the science world. infact physics hands off @ infinity. little wonder one of the characteristics of the wave function says it must be finite.

I want to add in a simple tone that in reality, your infinity may not be my infinity, how? let me explain.

if a new born baby is asked to pick the pin next to you. to the baby, that pin is his infinity but not yours. the baby can never get up, let alone of picking the pin but you can easily pick the pin which happens to be someone else infinity. if a blin man is asked to read what is on the board, Infact, he cannot do it. infinity. it means that infinity can be anywhere. it all depends on the person involved. just like the op pointed out, they are an infinite number between 1 & 2.

nice work @ Tempakguy. God bless and happy Christmas.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by rhizoidz: 10:59pm On Apr 11, 2016
Like a scientist I love being opposite, questioning the root of things and ideas before trying to get answers,

I'm going to relate the omnipotence paradox to a mathematical theory of the idea of the rotation of the moon around the earth.

Instances
1. X is omnipotent, which is defined as the ability to do all.
2. Can X create an entity(Y) which is too great for him to destroy?

Possibilities
1. Just like space and time would be opposite sides of the same entity, creation and destruction, life and death, infinity and zero are opposite sides of the same entity, the fact that for X to be omnipotent, he must be able to do Y and undo it at the same time,each of which makes the other impossible, which is supposed to be normal , one observation of mine is that whenever two equal sides if the same entity are imposed , they create a continuum, which both are present and at the same time none is present.

2. The factors that would confirm X's nature of being omnipotent is the ability of X 1. Be able to create Y which he should not be able to destroy then 2. Destroy Y, if he can do both, then he is omnipotent, isn't that so? He has to obey two forces of the same magnitude but different directions, now relate this to the rotation of the moon about the earth... The moon is subjected to obey the law of gravity and that of the first law, so did that mean a massive explosion? No an infinite loop of cycles, then if X's ability to create Y and then destroy it made him omnipotent, it might have also made him eternal, stuck in a loop of cycles...
Darn it!! I've just created another question!

Looking up to you peeps, can you help me sort this hypothesis, and put it in the right order.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by rhizoidz: 11:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
rhizoidz:
Like a scientist I love being opposite, questioning the root of things and ideas before trying to get answers,

I'm going to relate the omnipotence paradox to a mathematical theory of the idea of the rotation of the moon around the earth.

Instances
1. X is omnipotent, which is defined as the ability to do all.
2. Can X create an entity(Y) which is too great for him to destroy?

Possibilities
1. Just like space and time would be opposite sides of the same entity, creation and destruction, life and death, infinity and zero are opposite sides of the same entity, the fact that for X to be omnipotent, he must be able to do Y and undo it at the same time,each of which makes the other impossible, which is supposed to be normal , one observation of mine is that whenever two equal sides if the same entity are imposed , they create a continuum, which both are present and at the same time none is present.

2. The factors that would confirm X's nature of being omnipotent is the ability of X 1. Be able to create Y which he should not be able to destroy then 2. Destroy Y, if he can do both, then he is omnipotent, isn't that so? He has to obey two forces of the same magnitude but different directions, now relate this to the rotation of the moon about the earth... The moon is subjected to obey the law of gravity and that of the first law, so did that mean a massive explosion? No an infinite loop of cycles, then if X's ability to create Y and then destroy it made him omnipotent, it might have also made him eternal, stuck in a loop of cycles...
Darn it!! I've just created another question!

Looking up to you peeps, can you help me sort this hypothesis, and put it in the right order.
more ideas are coming! This might explain why matter and energy(which are also an example of opposite sides of the same entity) cannot be destroyed, why? Because they were never created!, or are always created.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 1:41am On Apr 13, 2016
until you realise that infinity is in invented abstract concept and nothing like that exists in real life,you wouldn't find it mysterious.
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by ValentineMary(m): 2:46pm On Apr 13, 2016
Nice work Tempakguy. Really enjoyed it. Reminds me of an IQ test I took once and they asked how many chocolate(s) would it take to fill an infinitely empty stomach. And I was told d ans is 1 pls can u explain how they arrived at this value to me. Thanks
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Geofavor(m): 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2016
ValentineMary:
Nice work Tempakguy. Really enjoyed it. Reminds me of an IQ test I took once and they asked how many chocolate(s) would it take to fill an infinitely empty stomach. And I was told d ans is 1 pls can u explain how they arrived at this value to me. Thanks
grin grin grin. Teempakguy
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2016
Geofavor:
grin grin grin. Teempakguy
one chocolate, sure.
one infinitely big chocolate bar. grin
Re: . . . Infinity . . . by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 04, 2022

hey there, guys . . . smiley

i recently received a mention from the dairies section, urging me to visit the science section more often, and at this time i was in the art world.

so, here i am and . . . i have a rather fascinating topic I've been thinking about and doing thought experiments about. and er . . . yeah, it's quite an intruiging one. ALTHOUGH, it's is a very mathematical topic. so, put on your thinking cap on, guys grin grin

So what is infinity?

well, the concept of infinity first occurred to me when i was a child. about er . . . five or six . . when, in the toilet, cheesy . . . i saw a bottle of harpic toilet cleaner on the wash basin and noticed that the bottle had a picture of itself on it. as in, on the bottle, there was a picture of it, cleaning a toilet or whatever . . .
and i was like, wait a second, what if that bottle pictured on this bottle had a picture of itself on it? and that picture had another picture of the picture of this bottle on it and that had . . . shocked shocked shocked

the concept was shocking to my juvenile mind, of course. i became depressed over the following days because i couldn't find out what would happen if that continued forever. sad

but anyway. grin now i know that NO ONE KNOWS! and that's cool. for now. grin
so, infinity is the size of no limit. no bounds. if something were to progress forever and ever, we would call it infinite. as in, having a quality of being endless.

take for instance, the set of natural numbers. i.e 1,2,3,4 . . .
no matter how far you go with that, there will still be more to find. no matter how big. whether it is the number of stars in the known universe,(1023) or the number of atoms in the universe, (1087) or even the LIFESPAN of the universe.(10100) there is simply nothing bigger than that.

another example of infinity is the set of even natural numbers. i.e 2,4,6,8 . . .

but wait a second. if we match the set of natural numbers with the set of the even natural numbers, we find that the for every term in the even number set, there are two terms from the natural numbers set. this illustrated below.

so . . . by common sense, the set of natural numbers is clearly twice longer than that of the even natural numbers. right?

wrong. grin. as bizzare as it seems, they are exactly the length. this is because for every natural number, there is an even number to match it.

as illustrated below.

the procedure is the same with any infinite sequence. . . or is it?
for there are some infinites which are indeed bigger than others. grin

infact, there are two major types of infinity.

1. countable infinity.
2. uncountable infinity.

relax. this is still a maths thread. we have not ventured into English. grin

as the names so aptly describe, countable infinity is one that we can count. like for instance, the set of positive integers. i.e 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . these are also the natural numbers. the set of even and odd numbers as well. smiley

you can obviously count them. grin

the set of real numbers on the other hand, fall into the realm of uncountable infinity. why? well, because you can't count them. literally. for instance, let us try counting the number of real numbers between zero and one.

0, 0.1, 0.2, . . . wait a minute, that's not correct at all, 0, 0.01, 0.002 . . .arrgh, that isn't correct either. angry. 0, 0.0001, 0.0002 . . .

eventually, you will realize that it is pretty much impossible. after 0, what comes next? what ever you think it is, you can always add another zero. forever. embarassed

they are obviously bigger than countable infinities. in fact, there are more real numbers between zero and one than there are natural numbers in their entirety.

proof?

well, let's start by matching every natural number with every number between 0 and 0.1
match 3 with 0.0 . . . 03 50 with 0.0 . . . 50 and any whole number n with 0.0 . . . 0n

after doing this, change the first number after the decimal point and you will end up with a new term which has not been paired! cool, right? shocked

as you have probably guessed, infinity is a wierdo. grin. but now, it's time to see it's wierdness in full glory. below is a list of some of the amazing phenomena that infinity holds. cool

3. The library of babel.

in this library, exists every name ever given or will ever be given, every sentence ever said or that will ever be said. the library works by generating an infinite combination of the 26 letters of the english language and the "." '','' and space. it can be found Here and has about 105000 characters. compare that to the number of atoms in the universe and . . . sad sad
i also found my name there. and the day i would die . . . in a possible scenario. which is . . . 2090. cry cry

4. The Hyperwebster.
This is a theoretical dictionary that contains every word that can ever be said using the english. it obviously cannot exist in real life. but consider,
if the first term is A, the second term, AA, the third term AAA, when will the A only term ever end?
after that ends, we have AB, and then AAB, AAAB and so on till we get to zzzzzzzz . . . .
well that sucks. . . grin
if I had a kid and i wanted to punish him for doing something wrong, i would give him an Hyperwebster and ask him to find "Teempakguy". grin grin

The banach-tarski paradox
imagine if you can make 100 naira from 50 naira. by duplicating something and having to exact copies. the banach-tarski is a theorem that states that, it is possible to duplicate a ball into two equal balls the exact same shape and size of the original without stretching or enlarging. but by rotating. the process is insanely complicated. but relies on the fact that a sphere has an infinite amount of points on it's surface, and if they are marked by the directions in which they can be reached, if the ball is then rotated, directions cancel out and the ball mathematically transforms. if the ball is separated into different directional components[it will be four balls. for up, down, right and left directions], they transform into half the ball and when they are combined, we will have two balls! awesome! but only mathematically possible. yet. lipsrsealed

1. zeno's paradox.
ah, this old one. this simply states that if we have two points, A and B. and you wanted to go from A to B, you would have to first pass half of that distance. but damn, in order to get to that half, you need to get to HALF of the first half . . . and so on and so forth. that at the end, you shouldn't even be moving. sad

there are a lot more situations like that. which are as bizzare, of course. like convergence and and approximate values and the circle, and pi . . . but these will be enough for now. i guess. cheesy
the concept of infinity is a very fascinating concept. as i trust you have seen now. and to a mathematical mind, it is nothing less than pure beauty. grin . . . sorry ladies.

so i encourage you, think about it sometime. it will do your brain good. wink

lalasticlala.
Dekatron, johnydon22, robinhez, mrsphyno tongue, queed, xploraben, bqlekan, llaykorn, dearpreye, Blesssed, xploraben, ELYMAXiimus,Freemanan, and everyone! smiley

Waw! really amazing post,i am physics student hence like anything mathematics,i am really greatful for this post. Waiting for another post.

(1) (Reply)

(PHOTO) Old But Untold Story Of Indian Girl Who Had Been Frozen For 500 Years. / Operation Auroragold How The Nsa Hacks Cellphone Networks Worldwide / Projectile Motion Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.