Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,805 members, 7,810,099 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist (1193 Views)

Nigeria May Soon Be In Total Darkness — Egbin CEO / Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist / Buhari Set To Meet State Governors Over Unpaid Workers Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
Electricity generation in the country has dropped by 1,100 megawatts as output from Egbin Power Plant, the biggest generating power station in Nigeria has dropped to zero, THISDAY has learnt.

THISDAY gathered that the 1,320 megawatt-capacity plant was generating 1,100 megawatts before the drop in generation.

The development, it was learnt, followed an alleged sabotage by one of the former employees of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria who threw an object into the power plant and it tripped off.

The defunct PHCN workers, on their part, had claimed that the management invited about 100 hoodlums in five buses to sack them from the Egbin Housing estate.

Other occupants of the estate include: staff of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) and workers of Egbin Power Plc.

THISDAY gathered that the unidentified persons removed the roofs of the houses occupied by the former employees apparently without the knowledge of the Chairman of the Board of Egbin Power Plc, Mr. Kola Adesina, who was said to be outside the country.

It was learnt that trouble started when these unknown persons allegedly removed the roofs of the houses of some TCN staff and Egbin workers in error and in protest , one of the affected workers allegedly threw an object into the power plant and it tripped off.

THISDAY was also informed by one of the workers last night that the roofs of both the retired workers and serving staff of TCN and Egbin were removed, thus exposing their families and property to heavy downpour.

“The retirees have been living with us and they did not create problems for anybody. They are agitating that the houses should be sold to them because similar houses were sold to former PHCN staff at Ikoyi and Ikeja. But the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) refused to sell the houses and told the retirees that the case of Egbin is different because it is a power station and housing units are tied to power stations. The matter is in court and we have been living peacefully and waiting for the case to be decided. But the Managing Director invited hoodlums on Friday and they removed the roofs of TCN staff and many of us working at Egbin in error,” he explained.

“We gave the houses to TCN staff because they are the ones that evacuate the power we generate. When our roofs were removed in error, everybody got angry because our property and families were under the rain. So, I think someone threw something to the plant and it tripped off,” he added.

He alleged that at the end of the siege, about 12 apartments where the workers of the TCN and some Egbin workers reside were sacked, while the soldiers who were on routine service in the plant allegedly provided them cover.

He blamed the Chief Executive Officer of Egbin Power Plc, Mr. Dallas M. Peavey for poor handling of the crisis.

But the company has denied complicity in the alleged invasion of the estate by thugs

According to him, the drop in generation was caused by a fault that occurred on Friday.

THISDAY gathered that the agitation by the retirees to buy the houses is already in court.

The management in a statement on Sunday said the transformation of the power plant was being threatened by the activities of the illegal occupants of the plant.

The statement added that the management had declared Amber Security Alert on the plant as a proactive step to protect lives and property.
The management also revealed that the illegal occupants who have refused to leave the plant since November 1, 2013 are set to make good their threat to sabotage the plant.

“This unfortunate development portends grave danger that is capable of decimating recent progress in the power sector,” the statement added.
Peavy had in a statement at the weekend, said the continued presence of illegal occupants at the Egbin Power Plc.

Source:http://www.nairausd.com/2015/10/power-generation-drops-by-1100mw-as.html?m=1

Twitter@nairausd

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by modath(f): 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2015
The development, it was learnt, followed an alleged sabotage by one of the former employees of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria who threw an object into the power plant and it tripped off.

I have highlighted the mst important part for you wailers who are either too lazy or have poor comprehension skills...

@OP,

Put the real site where you did the copyright infringement from,most people won't take this serious & won't even vist your site..

I'm one of the few that actually clicks that your site to encourage you...

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Ezenwammadu(m): 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
Body odour will soon fix it in the fullness of time

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
Are you for real? undecided
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ajibola11(m): 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
Pls stop fighting ooo..oga buhari pls talk to them
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by braine(m): 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
Fake 'sauce.'
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 1:30pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ezenwammadu:

Bad bele ×2

Is allowed ×2

In M.I voice
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by biafransoul: 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2015
Welcome to the change guys. Una never see something .

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by baralatie(m): 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2015
God frustrate those people who don't want Nigeria and Nigerians to enjoy light! Amen!
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
this is serious embarassed
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by donTbone(m): 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
undecided

According to him, the drop in generation was caused by a fault that occurred on Friday.

And some wailers still be shouting PMB!

and will they just leave the man to go just like that?

In Buharis voice
Wait, lemme finish with Saraki and Amaeci first!
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2015
One of the affected workers allegedly threw an object into the power plant and it tripped off.
This fellow should be severely dealt with.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2015
Obiagelli:

This fellow should be severely dealt with.

Kai
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by modath(f): 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ezenwammadu:

biafransoul:
Welcome to the change guys. Una never see something .

Hope you guys check your BP regularly?

Sure it's still in the normal range
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Beremx(f): 1:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
The person that threw the object into the power plant must be a wailer. He should be arrested immediately.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by MizMyColi(f): 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
I won't be surprised to learn that the display of bravado and bragado by the so-called dissidents is politically motivated.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by MikelEleta(m): 1:41pm On Oct 05, 2015
I don't care what happened. All I want to care about is the solution. During Jonathans regime ther were also numerous sabotages yet this same people didn't accept it so no matter the level of sabotage let them get it back to work. I wrote an article recntly on the poor state of light since sallah yet some blind Buhari followers swamped on me that maybe its only my area. The truth is gradually coming out

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by jaymejate: 1:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
When that 1 no stop our light. I de charge sev
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
The drop in power was just so sudden. In my area, it started on friday evening, immediately after the rainfall .
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
Nigerian Banks Heading For Another Credit Crisis, Citigroup Warns

https://www.nairaland.com/2644758/nigerian-banks-heading-another-credit
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 2:07pm On Oct 05, 2015
onlinebizinfo:
The drop in power was just so sudden. In my area, it started on friday evening, immediately after the rainfall .

Just the same at my area
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 2:32pm On Oct 05, 2015
Fp
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Dannyset(m): 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
That person is an enemy of this country. He should be charged and wailers shouldn't shout witch hunting, cos that's their profession.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Chubhie: 5:45pm On Oct 05, 2015
Two wrongs don't make a right. Now we all have to suffer cos some people don't know how to follow due process to iron out issues. Very typical of the Nigerian mind. It happens every day on the streets.

Nigeria is beyond redemption cos it is a disease of the mind.
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by nigerianvenom(m): 5:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
Offensive body odour at work
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 5:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
Chubhie:
Two wrongs don't make a right. Now we all have to suffer cos some people don't know how to follow due process to iron out issues. Very typical of the Nigerian mind. It happens every day on the streets.

Nigeria is beyond redemption cos it is a disease of the mind.
Hmmm
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Chubhie: 5:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
ifyan:
Hmmm
What's on your mind?
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 6:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
Chubhie:
What's on your mind?

I love you typed but saying Nigeria can't be redeemed l disagree
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by juman(m): 6:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by Chubhie: 6:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
ifyan:

I love you typed but saying Nigeria can't be redeemed l disagree
Forgive me. I projected my fears that her redemption may not happen in my life time cos I'm but an old man. It will take a miracle for Nigeria to be redeemed and I wish to see her thrive before my time is up.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist by ifyan(m): 6:23pm On Oct 05, 2015
Chubhie:
Forgive me. I projected my fears that her redemption may not happen in my life time cos I'm but an old man. It will take a miracle for Nigeria to be redeemed and I wish to see her thrive before my time is up.

That's nice

(1) (Reply)

Wahala!! US Passes Bill To Commence Crude Oil EXPORT!! How Do We Sell Our Oil?? / Sites Frm Anambra Day Celebration Abuja / Nigerian Apologizes To Former President Jonathan For Voting Him Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.