Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Working As A Sociologist - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working As A Sociologist (2482 Views)

This Trend Is Specifically For SOCIOLOGIST / What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. / Working As A Personal Assistant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working As A Sociologist by neyo4real(m): 7:07am On Apr 22, 2009
As an undergraduate in Sociology? where is the the specific area i can work in the nearest future in terms of organizations.
Re: Working As A Sociologist by igbalajobi: 10:01am On Apr 22, 2009
Hi Neyo,
It's unfortunate in most parts of the world that peope dont get work based on what they study. Sociology is one of the lesser competitive course if we rate it according to level of demand & rewards. But what matters most is your intelligent and abilities. Basically you can pursue career in HR which exists in all companies but you will have to make sure you have other trainings and post qualifications to make you competitve like CIPM, NIM and MBA. With those, you can enter into administrative and HR settings.
Do you know that about 3 banks CEO in Naija read Soc as 1st degree? So that means you have to broaden your horizons though additional qualifications.
It can be a rewarding career.

1 Like

Re: Working As A Sociologist by neyo4real(m): 9:26pm On Apr 22, 2009
Am soo grateful 4 ur advice and encouragement. I wl try as much as possible to keep to evrything. thanks so much
Re: Working As A Sociologist by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 03, 2009
@neyo4real,
I too studied Sociology and I used to ask myself the same question. A first degree is basically an avenue to broaden your mind and make you more adaptable to any kind of career. Assess your interests in life - could it be the media? Could it be marketing? Could it be air travel, Customer Care, etc. Or perhaps you are into social policy? Your life interests, and not necessarily what your certificate reads, could pave way for your career.

Also, you can always avail your papers (i.e. application letter and CV) to the various companies and organizations that require graduate trainees and grow from there. Keep your mind open.

2 Likes

Re: Working As A Sociologist by lilliesboy(m): 8:38pm On Mar 26, 2016
I am a graduate of Sociology from the UniPort, and I must say I asked myself same question during my undergraduate days. To add a little, Sociology is a very versatile/wide discipline that's why some call it the "Jack of all trades" (i.e. it studies many things and none in particular especially at the undergraduate level). It never used to be a "valued/popular" course in Africa due to ignorance and OVER-valuing of the so-called physical sciences/professional courses; but recently it is a HOT CAKE as many are beginning to know and appreciate its value. A sociology graduate can work ANYWHERE: in a hospital (as a medical sociologist/social worker), security agencies/lawcourt (as a CRIMINOLOGist), school, administrative office (as it is all about BUREAUCRACY as theorized by sociologist Max Weber), in the Ministry of Sports and CULTURE, a politician/political analyst (as a grounded MARXist or political-economist), mass media, researcher etc. With Feminism or Gender Studies (which are under Sociology), one can work at the Ministry of Gender/Women Affairs; my step-mum and maternal aunt works there (in Bayelsa State) and they encouraged me back then to take my course very serious as they pay "special salary" to those with Sociology degrees. My younger step-brother and uncle are also currently studying Sociology at the NDU, Bayelsa State.

Unfortunately, many sociologists are still not well-paid in Africa (Nigeria) compared to their colleagues in Europe/America. As of 2010, the average sociologist in the USA alone earned at least $34,000 yearly (currently equivalent to about N9,52000 - "9 million, 52 thousand naira"wink, while in Nigeria the average sociology graduate with a B.Sc earns N840,000 yearly (depending on where she/works). The average professor of Sociology in the USA earns $72,000 yearly, while in Nigeria the average professor of Sociology earns about N4.8 million yearly. Too bad. http://degreeinsociology.net/earning-potential-with-a-sociology-degree/

I hope to do my M.Sc in either Criminology or Development Studies, but I wish I/my family have the money/scholarship opportunity to do it in Europe or America because our educational system here is too corrupt and frustrating. I made a very good result.

(1) (Reply)

ICAN Training School In Kano. Should I? / How To Make Money From Your Existing Professional Knowledge Aside Your Salary! / Become A Computer Wizard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.