Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,488 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume (32716 Views)

Seni Saraki Pays Homage To Emir Of Ilorin As His Father Watched / Akume Gave Sehu Sani Fish Over The Death Of His Mother / APC Considers Akume, Remi Tinubu As Saraki’s Replacement - NationalMirror (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by kahal29: 7:43am On Oct 06, 2015
Ministerial nominees besiege Senate president’s residence, screening may start next week
Omololu Ogunmade in Abuja

In a move, which could best be described as an attempt to broker a new rapprochement, the Abuja residence of a former Benue State Governor George Akume at the weekend played host to the Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki.

Sources close to Saraki informed THISDAY that the Senate president had been trying to break the ice in the frosty relationship between himself and Akume for a while, but Akume was preoccupied with constituency issues back home in Benue State.

It was gathered that when a meeting was firmed up a few weeks ago, Akume was said to have undertaken an impromptu trip abroad.
In the run up to the June 9th proclamation of the Eighth Senate, Saraki, Akume and Ahmed Lawan were frontline contenders for the leadership of the Senate.

Akume, following the advice of the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC), subsequently stepped down for Lawan in a bid to become the latter’s deputy.

However, Saraki, with the support of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), emerged Senate president in circumstances which precipitated deep-seated discontent among supporters of Lawan and the ruling party.

This was further worsened by the emergence of Ike Ekweremadu of the PDP as Saraki’s deputy.

While Saraki was backed by a group, which goes by the name “Senators of Like Minds”, the Lawan/Akume project was spearheaded by the “Unity Forum” group.

Saraki’s subsequent refusal to accommodate the Lawan-Akume group in the constitution of other principal positions in the Senate, in total disregard of the APC’s admonition, further exacerbated the feud in the upper chamber of the federal legislature.

Ever since, the Senate has been forced into several lengthy adjournments and holidays to allow tempers to cool and seek ways out of what was obviously a logjam.

The meeting between Saraki and Akume, reportedly held on Sunday, when most members of the family of the Benue senator were away to church. This was to give the visit utmost privacy.

Sources did not disclose the details of the meeting which lasted for over an hour, but it was believed that Saraki enjoined Akume to let bygones be bygones so that they could join hands together to build and steer a virile Senate.

The Senate president, according to the source, drew comparisons between his political odyssey and Akume’s career, and suggested that both of them had been fated as leaders from the North-central zone and their collaboration could only profit the zone and the country at large.

Following his arraignment by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) on allegations of false declaration of assets, Saraki has adopted a reconciliatory approach by reaching out to those perceived to have been opposed to his emergence as Senate president.

During the Independence Day celebrations last Thursday, he engaged in a tete-a-tete with President Muhammadu Buhari and subsequently held a closed-door meeting with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo.

The move, THISDAY learnt, is aimed at mending fences with his party and senators who have been opposed to his leadership of the Senate.

Meanwhile, following the submission of the list of the first batch of 21 ministerial nominees by President Buhari, Saraki’s residence has been turned into a Mecca by nominees who want to ensure that they get a smooth passage during their screening likely to commence next week.

Sources informed THISDAY that Saraki played host to a former Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi; former Osun State Governor, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola; and the National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, yesterday in Abuja.

Another party chieftain sighted at his residence was the Governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal, who was said to have come to ensure that ministerial nominees from the North-west zone encounter few hitches.

Sources said the lobby by ministerial nominees has intensified and would reach fever pitch in the days leading up to the screening next week.

Speaking on the timing for the screening of the nominees, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Rules and Business, Senator Babajide Omoworare, said expecting the screening to take place this week was not realistic in view of legislative protocol.

He said what was more realistic was that the screening would be done on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week.

According to him, all that would be done on the list today is to merely read it by the Senate president as an executive communication and no more.

Furthermore, he said the letter from the president containing the names of the ministerial nominees would then be formally slated on the order paper tomorrow (Wednesday) after which it would be referred to the Committee of the Whole Senate for consideration.

He said it is after it is referred to the Committee of the Whole that the screening dates would be announced.

Omoworare, who said he did not have the details of the list, however, stressed that the more realistic thing was that the screening would take place on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week.

“The screening will follow the same procedure that previous screenings have followed. The letter will be read tomorrow (today) by the Senate president and will be slated as an executive communication. It will then be slated on the order paper on Wednesday and will be referred to the Committee of the Whole for consideration on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week, most likely,” he said.

Asked whether it would not be scheduled for Thursday after referring it to the committee for screening, he replied, “I don't think so.”
He added that even though the letter would be read today, in line with legislative protocol, it could not be referred for consideration the same day.

Besides, he said a matter could not be slated for consideration unless it had first of all been referred to the appropriate committee, explaining further that today and tomorrow would be devoted to reading the letter and committing it to the committee stage after which the screening schedule would be announced.

“Despite the fact that the letter will be read tomorrow (today), it cannot be slated for hearing. What we will do this week is to commit it to the Committee of the Whole. You cannot slate what has not been committed.

“Sincerely, l don't know if it can be slated for Thursday. All l can say certainly is that the letter will be read tomorrow (today). It will be committed on Wednesday (tomorrow). Whether it will now be slated for Thursday l can't say. But we can't screen 21 people in one day,” he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/rapprochement-saraki-pays-surprise-visit-to-akume/222035/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Ebubeslym(m): 7:44am On Oct 06, 2015
SARAKI !!

Working tirelessly to Repair burnt bridges since August 2015.

7 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 06, 2015
I am not suprised...but if saraki is not jailed then buhari's anti corruption fight is a scam

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by biafranqueen: 7:49am On Oct 06, 2015
So even The Lion Lying Liar Mohamad went to kiss Saraki's Nyash chai!!!!
Nigerian poli tricks never cease to amaze me. undecided

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by ERODEDEAST(f): 8:07am On Oct 06, 2015
scratch ma back I scratch yours.

first law of friendship.

3 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by akonibobo: 8:13am On Oct 06, 2015
Saraki........No comment.
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by GabrielSuswam(m): 8:16am On Oct 06, 2015
The Biggest Mistake Saraki made was not compensating the Lawan/Akume group with other principal positions..

Sorry Saraki you went too far ooooooh...

George Akume Dajoh Shooooo Chenge

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by ORACLE1975(m): 8:32am On Oct 06, 2015
hmmmmmm
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Ballmer: 9:00am On Oct 06, 2015
biafranqueen:
So even The Lion Lying Liar Mohamad went to kiss Saraki's Nyash chai!!!!
Nigerian poli tricks never cease to amaze me. undecided

Was that the only piece that caught your attention ? Did you read about where Saraki was running helter skelter to have audience with Akume ?

13 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Episteme2(m): 9:15am On Oct 06, 2015
tobimillar:
I am not suprised...but if saraki is not jailed then buhari's anti corruption fight is a scam
Hmm!
Whether convicted or not?
Remember, he pleaded not guilty and the court is yet to say otherwise as the case is still in view.
Am just saying because of your blunt comment. Not holding any brief both for the hunted and the hunter.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Sweetcollins: 9:56am On Oct 06, 2015
Surprise ke?
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by omusiliyu(m): 9:56am On Oct 06, 2015
Saraki is a wise politician.

5 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by superior1: 9:57am On Oct 06, 2015
It is easier to ask for reconciliation being the beneficiary of the contention, Saraki wakabout reminds one of Jonathan days to the election, like Jonathan, Saraki will fail.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Neduzze5(m): 9:57am On Oct 06, 2015
K
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Lincoln275(m): 9:57am On Oct 06, 2015
U will soon leave that seat

1 Like

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by DONSMITH123(m): 9:57am On Oct 06, 2015
hmmmmm. Saraki feeling like Boss now. grin grin
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by BankManager(m): 9:58am On Oct 06, 2015
Even a common ministerial list is subjected to
rigorous propaganda before release... #Smh for this country#..

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Ups01(m): 9:58am On Oct 06, 2015
9ja Senators sha, i hail
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 06, 2015
Everything is on Ministerial list

kilode gann

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by dandostism88(m): 9:59am On Oct 06, 2015
OK ooo,we shall see
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by LMAyedun(m): 9:59am On Oct 06, 2015
Okay
tobimillar:
Saraki is going No where... I can bet you Nigerians will never see the end of Saraki vs CCB trial.
Quote anywhere.

5 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by free2ryhme: 9:59am On Oct 06, 2015
grin
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by pascalmilan11(m): 9:59am On Oct 06, 2015
God please bless me or bless who that will bless me
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by veraponpo(m): 10:00am On Oct 06, 2015
This news is not completely true.

I see Saraki mending the fence though, he has been put on his toes by Tinubu ( the Jagaban Bogu)
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Silkyman: 10:00am On Oct 06, 2015
Watching my plasma 4 d news
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by MadCow1: 10:03am On Oct 06, 2015
Why is Saraki walking about freely?

2 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by NotNairalandi(m): 10:03am On Oct 06, 2015
Buhari is as guilty as Saraki!

1 Like

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by babyfaceafrica: 10:04am On Oct 06, 2015
Lolz...so saraki can be gentle chai...first to do no dey pain na last to do dey enter body!!!

3 Likes

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Segadem(m): 10:04am On Oct 06, 2015
tobimillar:
u people can never be satisfied, the man has a case in court ,people said it's witch hunting,if the man is jail now I don't know the term they will use to describe him again,though I'm not in support anyone that has corrupt mind,let allow courts to do its job.
Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by Segadem(m): 10:04am On Oct 06, 2015
EbukaLive:
Our politicians are just awfuy shameless. I sympathize with Buhari and all well meaning Nigerians. The Jerry Rawlings Ghanaian solution may just be the only thing that might save our Great Nation at this rate... sad
Ha!
Then he has to kill himself first,because he himself was one of the past rulers.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Pays Surprise Visit To Akume by EbukaLive(m): 10:05am On Oct 06, 2015
Our politicians are just awfuy shameless. I sympathize with Buhari and all well meaning Nigerians. The Jerry Rawlings Ghanaian solution may just be the only thing that might save our Great Nation at this rate... sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar / Thousands Of Tricycle Operators Hold Rally In Support Of Buhari In Kano / Be Careful Of The Fuel, You Buy In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.