Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,640 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... (1326 Views)

Faith Sakwe Edward And Her Family In New Photo / Princess Eliana Godswill-Edward's Birthday Party (Photos) / Biodun Olujimi Admits To Buying Votes In Leaked Text Message (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by UndespicableMe(m): 8:27am On Oct 06, 2015
Edward Snowden: Smartphones can be hacked into with just one text message and then used to spy on their owners.

The world’s spying agencies have tools that allow them to take over smartphones with just a text message, according to Edward Snowden, and there is “very little” that their owners can do to stop it.

The UK’s intelligence agency has a suite of tools that let it listen on phones and their owners, Snowden told the BBC’s Panorama in Moscow. All spies would need to do is send a special text message and they will be able to gain access to the camera and its microphones, the BBC reported Snowden as saying.

The set of tools is called “Smurf Suite”, according to Snowden. Each of the individual tools has their own name — “Dreamy Smurf” lets the phone be powered on and off, for instance, and “Nosey Smurf” lets spies turn the microphone on and listen in on users, even if the phone itself is turned off.

GCHQ even has a tool called “Paranoid Smurf” that hides the fact that it has taken control of the phone. The tool will stop people from recognising that the phone has been tampered with if it is taken in for a service, for instance.

“For example, if you wanted to take the phone in to get it serviced because you saw something strange going on or you suspected something was wrong, it makes it much more difficult for any technician to realise that anything's gone amiss,” Snowden said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-has-secret-software-that-can-be-remotely-activated-to-spy-on-people-says-snowden-9991754.html

Lalasticalala
Seun
LadyF
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 06, 2015
it is well, let's use it for shekau
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by delishpot: 8:31am On Oct 06, 2015
Had one in my Tablet that was secretly taking photos of me some months back. I will just see message from my anti virus app. asking for my permission for someone or entity to download so so photo of me. A look at the said picture I will see me in the same clothes I am wearing doing what I was doing just seconds before yet I did not take the picture myself so I knew my tab had been infected. I had to use black tape to cover my Tablet camera after returning it to facyory mode.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by Trut(m): 8:31am On Oct 06, 2015
Snowden expose dem biko
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by whirlwind7(m): 8:39am On Oct 06, 2015
This is some scary shitt.
But then, a lot of people know about spywares long before now.

Where I stay, almost everyone has a black cellotape stuck over the lens of the webcam on their laptops. Many do complain that the tiny light beside the webcam does light up even when they are not using the camera. This showed that it was remotely activated from a spyware in their gadget.

In the case of the text messages used as a hacking tool, I hope one has to open the message itself before the bug can get active. I usually delete fishy SMS sent from unsolicited short codes without reading them.

1 Like

Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by babyfaceafrica: 8:41am On Oct 06, 2015
Lolz....dis westerners have gone far o!!
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 06, 2015
So this is how you guys get people unclad pictures, issorait
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by abe4kom: 9:39am On Oct 06, 2015
How about the microphone?
delishpot:
Had one in my Tablet that was secretly taking photos of me some months back. I will just see message from my anti virus app. asking for my permission for someone or entity to download so so photo of me. A look at the said picture I will see me in the same clothes I am wearing doing what I was doing just seconds before yet I did not take the picture myself so I knew my tab had been infected. I had to use black tape to cover my Tablet camera after returning it to facyory mode.
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by DaBullIT(m): 9:44am On Oct 06, 2015
Lots of people know about Spyware but not all of them know the degree for instance message from ICPC will be sent using mtn server you don't have to open the message it'll integrate itself with your phone and that's all

How do you think people started hearing that Jonathan called Buhari to congratulate him just minutes after the call, I am not saying it was ICPC, just saying technology is so advanced you do not know what's happening

Even your GPS can be turned on remotely to track your movement

Your pcs Webcam turned and your screen grabbed plus your pictures taken

Hehehe free software but I'm not sharing

Solution use only Nokia torchlight 1100

Find a black and thick celotape, block your cam or uninstall the software

whirlwind7:
This is some scary shitt.
But then, a lot of people know about spywares long before now.

Where I stay, almost everyone has a black cellotape stuck over the lens of the webcam on their laptops. Many do complain that the tiny light beside the webcam does light up even when they are not using the camera. This showed that it was remotely activated from a spyware in their gadget.

In the case of the text messages used as a hacking tool, I hope one has to open the message itself before the bug can get active. I usually delete fishy SMS sent from unsolicited short codes without reading them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by blaquemyc: 9:52am On Oct 06, 2015
with smartphones, there's no privacy but the world is going the artificial intelligence way so your privacy is doomed
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by delishpot: 10:31am On Oct 06, 2015
abe4kom:
How about the microphone?

I dont know how to handle that one o. But at least I can claim it wasnt me grin grin grin
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by neocortex: 10:38am On Oct 06, 2015
Hmm
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by abe4kom: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2015
delishpot:

I dont know how to handle that one o. But at least I can claim it wasnt me grin grin grin
grin grin grin and maybe install magic voice so you can talk like a baby grin grin

If all fails cover the mic with chewing gum. grin grin
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by delishpot: 5:02pm On Oct 06, 2015
abe4kom:

grin grin grin and maybe install magic voice so you can talk like a baby grin grin

If all fails cover the mic with chewing gum. grin grin

Hahahhaha. Chewing gun ke? lol. grin grin. You no even upgrade am to silicon lol.
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by abe4kom: 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2015
delishpot:

Hahahhaha. Chewing gun ke? lol. grin grin. You no even upgrade am to silicon lol.
For what nah?

The silicon could be made with nano materials and thus smart! Where will that leave us? undecided

Na chewing gum be the koko. grin grin
Re: Edward Snowden: Smartphones Can Be Hacked Into With Just One Text Message... by delishpot: 7:56pm On Oct 06, 2015
abe4kom:

For what nah?

The silicon could be made with nano materials and thus smart! Where will that leave us? undecided

Na chewing gum be the koko. grin grin

Haha. I go buy am from my local DIY shop no worry.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Another Boko Haram Member On Wanted List Arrested / Bayelsa Election:Senator Ben Murray-Bruce Campaigns For Governor Dickson(photos) / Buhari's Gaffe, An International Embarrassement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.