Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,454 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Advice Needed Urgently - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Advice Needed Urgently (2120 Views)

Should He Accept The Job Offer As A University Graduate? Pls Advice Needed / 70k Job In Abuja: Advice Needed! / Urgent Advice Needed About A Job Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed Urgently by babajeje123(m): 3:07pm On Oct 06, 2015
I am a teacher and just left a school yesterday. It was painful for me to leave but I just needed to. The school is a modernised slave camp.
There, teachers are treated and talked to like slaves by the wife ( who I'll refer to as 1st lady) of the Director and his daughter (1st daughter or what?). There is no honour and respect for teachers in the school.

I was employed as the ICT teacher and to be candid, to the best of my ability, I was diligent. I was made to teach from Primary 4 to S.S 3, give and mark notes and assignments. These primary classes where not just one arm o, especially the primary. In each class, you have 20 students on the average. You can imagine the number of lesson notes I must write every week. I handled the results of students too from the pre-school to S.S 3. When I got there, teachers were using conventional way of reporting. Filling of report cards in the 21st century in an international school! So, I developed a program that could prepare results once scores are entered. It would do all necessary computations and even generate the broadsheet and whatever you want it to generate. This I did free of charge.
During the mid term and end of term exams, I would assist teachers in entering their scores and print when all entries were made. I was always changing the templates for computation of results, especially for pre-school to nursery because their assessments were been reviewed every session. What an herculean task it was.

Being a graduate of Computer Engineering, I was also in charge of all the computers in the school, always busy fixing computers in the Secretary and Account offices. What of Networking? I was still in charge.

These I was doing for the school for more than two years and my salary was not up to 100k! Aside that, no avenue to make extra cash. Teachers were forbidden to take the school students at home. The Director discouraged it and would even tell parents times without number not to employ teachers for their wards at home. He was such a person that want you to toil without having anything to show for it.

Well, I didn't even mind because I had students I was teaching at home who were not from the school. When those ones were not interested again, I made up my mind not to teach any students from the school. I didn't want my conscience being pricked each time he talked about it.

Another issue with the school was deductions from salary. Apart from the fact that the tax was high, he has been deducting 5% from my salary since I got there. At the end of every month, almost 15k (5% + tax!) would be yanked off my little salary. In my appointment letter, it was stated that I would be confirmed after a year but the confirmation never came till I left. I met the daughter, who plays HR role, about this and told me the management would look into it. However, nothing was done.

About two months ago, the Director started pending our salary. Reason? Because of teachers that would leave without resigning properly. So, he paid August salary on September 10 such that those that wanted to resume in another school would not get their salaries and 5%. Is that not cheating?

I looked at all that was happening and I decided to move on. No value was added to me since I got there. I had offer the school a lot but the school gave me nothing apart from my salary, no pension, took my time and pride (courtesy of 1st lady and 1st daughter).

Yesterday, I broke loose of the chain that was tying me down in the school. As a result of this, hell was let loose. When the director heard that I resigned, he called me but I refused to pick because I was angry and wouldn't want to be disrespectful to him on phone. Later, I go to know that he was ranting and accusing the Principal for not arresting me because I turned in my resignation letter without a month notice. I couldn't have given a month notice since he has 5% deductions for more than 2 years! The Principal called me too but I didn't pick. Eventually when I picked his call, he handed the phone to the head of school, a newly employed American. The guy was blabbing telling me I needed to come to school for a talk with him otherwise, I would be arrested. When I demanded for what my offence was, he said I have passwords to systems, to the server, sort code of software bla bla bla. He threatened that by the time he would be through with me, I would not be able to get a job in Nigeria.

People, I don't know what to do o. I don't know when resigning from a job became an offence when you don't have any skeleton in your cupboard.
I eagerly await your opinion.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by akugbemike(m): 3:29pm On Oct 06, 2015
Hmm..

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2015
babajeje123:
I am a teacher and just left a school yesterday. It was painful for me to leave but I just needed to. The school is a modernised slave camp.
There, teachers are treated and talked to like slaves by the wife ( who I'll refer to as 1st lady) of the Director and his daughter (1st daughter or what?). There is no honour and respect for teachers in the school.

I was employed as the ICT teacher and to be candid, to the best of my ability, I was diligent. I was made to teach from Primary 4 to S.S 3, give and mark notes and assignments. These primary classes where not just one arm o, especially the primary. In each class, you have 20 students on the average. You can imagine the number of lesson notes I must write every week. I handled the results of students too from the pre-school to S.S 3. When I got there, teachers were using conventional way of reporting. Filling of report cards in the 21st century in an international school! So, I developed a program that could prepare results once scores are entered. It would do all necessary computations and even generate the broadsheet and whatever you want it to generate. This I did free of charge.
During the mid term and end of term exams, I would assist teachers in entering their scores and print when all entries were made. I was always changing the templates for computation of results, especially for pre-school to nursery because their assessments were been reviewed every session. What an herculean task it was.

Being a graduate of Computer Engineering, I was also in charge of all the computers in the school, always busy fixing computers in the Secretary and Account offices. What of Networking? I was still in charge.

These I was doing for the school for more than two years and my salary was not up to 100k! Aside that, no avenue to make extra cash. Teachers were forbidden to take the school students at home. The Director discouraged it and would even tell parents times without number not to employ teachers for their wards at home. He was such a person that want you to toil without having anything to show for it.

Well, I didn't even mind because I had students I was teaching at home who were not from the school. When those ones were not interested again, I made up my mind not to teach any students from the school. I didn't want my conscience being pricked each time he talked about it.

Another issue with the school was deductions from salary. Apart from the fact that the tax was high, he has been deducting 5% from my salary since I got there. At the end of every month, almost 15k (5% + tax!) would be yanked off my little salary. In my appointment letter, it was stated that I would be confirmed after a year but the confirmation never came till I left. I met the daughter, who plays HR role, about this and told me the management would look into it. However, nothing was done.

About two months ago, the Director started pending our salary. Reason? Because of teachers that would leave without resigning properly. So, he paid August salary on September 10 such that those that wanted to resume in another school would not get their salaries and 5%. Is that not cheating?

I looked at all that was happening and I decided to move on. No value was added to me since I got there. I had offer the school a lot but the school gave me nothing apart from my salary, no pension, took my time and pride (courtesy of 1st lady and 1st daughter).

Yesterday, I broke loose of the chain that was tying me down in the school. As a result of this, hell was let loose. When the director heard that I resigned, he called me but I refused to pick because I was angry and wouldn't want to be disrespectful to him on phone. Later, I go to know that he was ranting and accusing the Principal for not arresting me because I turned in my resignation letter without a month notice. I couldn't have given a month notice since he has 5% deductions for more than 2 years! The Principal called me too but I didn't pick. Eventually when I picked his call, he handed the phone to the head of school, a newly employed American. The guy was blabbing telling me I needed to come to school for a talk with him otherwise, I would be arrested. When I demanded for what my offence was, he said I have passwords to systems, to the server, sort code of software bla bla bla. He threatened that by the time he would be through with me, I would not be able to get a job in Nigeria.

People, I don't know what to do o. I don't know when resigning from a job became an offence when you don't have any skeleton in your cupboard.
I eagerly await your opinion.

Do you have passwords to the systems, server and sort code?
Do you have any school property in your possession?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by afrobaby(f): 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2015
The ideal thing to do when resigning is to give at least 1 month notice based on your offer letter, but then I ask myself, how many employers give notice before sacking staff, over 90% don't. Some will tell you with immediate effect and may even pay you off.

Passwords? Funny, they should get someone to hack the systems and remove the password.

Forget about the threats, personally , that is what I will do. If a company/school can't add to my career success, why stay with the company.

All you need do is try get a better job.

NOTE: I always advise getting another job before resigning from one, it is not easy to get jobs again o. BUT WITH GOD, IT IS EASY IN JESUS NAME.

I feel your pain sha

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by babajeje123(m): 3:50pm On Oct 06, 2015
No, I don't have any property with me. The passwords are in my brain but they can change them. How do I get the passwords off my memory?

Do you have passwords to the systems, server and sort code?
Do you have any school property in your possession?[/quote]
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by dannypalatino(m): 3:52pm On Oct 06, 2015
Bro,if u are in possession of any of their item pls give it to them. If not,maybe the password to there server and system,text it to them via phone.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by babajeje123(m): 3:53pm On Oct 06, 2015
Thanks afrobaby for feeling my pain. I could have waited to get another job but for the fact that while I was there, I had no time to go for interviews. By God's grace I am IGCSE ICT certified and this has given me opportunities of been invited for tests but no time to go. So, I had to quit. I just pray for God's favour.

The ideal thing to do when resigning is to give at least 1 month notice based on your offer letter, but then I ask myself, how many employers give notice before sacking staff, over 90% don't. Some will tell you with immediate effect and may even pay you off.

Passwords? Funny, they should get someone to hack the systems and remove the password.

Forget about the threats, personally , that is what I will do. If a company/school can't add to my career success, why stay with the company.

All you need do is try get a better job.

NOTE: I always advise getting another job before resigning from one, it is not easy to get jobs again o. BUT WITH GOD, IT IS EASY IN JESUS NAME.

I feel your pain sha[/quote]
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Softhands(m): 3:58pm On Oct 06, 2015
Guy,Look for a lawyer and sue them...Go to human rights commission in d local govt n sue them for emotional trauma and threat to life.

By the time you are done with them, parents will withdraw all their kids from the school ... Better still Write to. Commissioner of police n copy the Nearest Zonal HQ Nearest to you.

If you want I get Journalist as friends and Brothers, them go help Ruin that Rubbish image of the School.

Make Sure You record the next conversation anyone of them will have with you as evidence of threat to life...

Guy, their image will suffer big time... They will pay for Damages in Millions ooo.

I hate injustice.

7 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by babajeje123(m): 4:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
Thanks Softhands. The conversation I had with the head of school was recorded. It was threatening. You will not believe that I have not gone out since morning because he said I would be jailed if caught. And the Director can do it because he has arrested a teacher before and that one was mal-handled by the Police. I am too fragile for that. I am expecting them to call again, then I may need to seek for help in those places you have mentioned. Thank you once again.

Softhands:
Guy,Look for a lawyer and sue them...Go to human rights commission in d local govt n sue them for emotional trauma and threat to life.

By the time you are done with them, parents will withdraw all their kids from the school ... Better still Write to. Commissioner of police n copy the Nearest Zonal HQ Nearest to you.

If you want I get Journalist as friends and Brothers, them go help Ruin that Rubbish image of the School.

Make Sure You record the next conversation anyone of them will have with you as evidence of threat to life...

Guy, their image will suffer big time... They will pay for Damages in Millions ooo.

I hate injustice.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Sidney1990: 4:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
What you face in that school was truly a modern slavery, God knows I can't tolerate such insolence and animalistic behavior from any employer after milking you dry and exploited you far beyond labor stipulated standards, they still have the guts to threatened you.

My advice for you is that, report this scenario to a near by police station for a precautionary measures and if possible visit any media house and report the case, be a step ahead of them all the way. Don't be scared, you haven't done anything wrong, stand on your rights.

Goodluck
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Sidney1990: 4:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
Infact, go visit any radio house, newspaper or national television stations close to you. Narrate and report the threat officially using the recording you have as an evidence. They will help you. Don't be scared a bit, change has come and everyone knows their rights.
Just ensure you go and report this before they do. Which state is that sef?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Omofairy(f): 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
Talk is cheap. I say congratulations for breaking free. Since they know u are out, they can change the passwords so you don't have them anymore. Don't be threatened into continued slavery. tell them to feel free to change their passwords. Be happy jor.

# and for the record, they don't own Nigeria. They can't control every business owner

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by babajeje123(m): 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
Sidney2009, na Lagos oo

Sidney1990:
Infact, go visit any radio house, newspaper or national television stations close to you. Narrate and report the threat officially using the recording you have as an evidence. They will help you. Don't be scared a bit, change has come and everyone knows their rights.
Just ensure you go and report this before they do. Which state is that sef?
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Softhands(m): 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2015
babajeje123:
Thanks Softhands. The conversation I had with the head of school was recorded. It was threatening. You will not believe that I have not gone out since morning because he said I would be jailed if caught. And the Director can do it because he has arrested a teacher before and that one was mal-handled by the Police. I am too fragile for that. I am expecting them to call again, then I may need to seek for help in those places you have mentioned. Thank you once again.

Make the first Move by reporting this to the police... Ask to see the DPO and Make Sure You get direct access to him. Make Sure they are Invited for questioning and seek means to be safe... I can offer some help with regards Journalists... Let them know that this case is already closely followed by a media house.
That should scare them.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2015
[/color][color=#006600]

@babajeje,

I must commend you firstly for your creative inputs for the establishment thus far, and your bold "step of faith" in breaking those shackles off your hands and legs.

I know that feeling when an issue gets to its flash point: you just act regardless of whether or not you've thought well about the potential consequences: it's sometimes necessary in life to "act like a woman but think like a man." I feel you ought to have done the right thing by notifying the authorities, beforehand, of your imminent departure. I believe it must've been a clause on your offer letter to which you must have agreed.

However, as for the unfulfilled agreements on the part of the authorities, I think you'll need these as counter claims when push comes to shove. I'm no lawyer but I know there's what's called "pacta sunt servanda" in law; meaning an agreement must be honoured in good faith. So far so good, your only flaw (from your write up) has to do with the one-month notice thing. It's always important as employees to part ways your employers on a good note (except they choose not to).

As for the threats, it'll be best to notify your lawyer (if you have one) or any other "competent" authority about your plight (with the tape-recorded evidence as well). Never let such tough talk scare/bother... you .... shall overcome! Also, you may privately inquire from some "trusted" associates of yours in the "slave camp" about what the current state of things are before you make the next move after thoroughly sampling other opinions.

By the way, have you given the British Council a shot, given your qualifications and technical expertise? It's quite competitive over there but kindly do if you have not. You shall overcome!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by babajeje123(m): 2:16am On Oct 07, 2015
@Liberace, thank you so much. To be candid, I didn't do any wrong by not giving a month notice. I have friends that gave a month notice but were not paid for that last month including the 5% deductions. Beside, the clause in the appointment letter states that I can resign giving a month notice or a month salary. The man has been deducting 5% from my salary for more than 2 years which is even more than a month salary.
Liberace:
[/color][color=#006600]

@babajeje,

I must commend you firstly for your creative inputs for the establishment thus far, and your bold "step of faith" in breaking those shackles off your hands and legs.

I know that feeling when an issue gets to its flash point: you just act regardless of whether or not you've thought well about the potential consequences: it's sometimes necessary in life to "act like a woman but think like a man." I feel you ought to have done the right thing by notifying the authorities, beforehand, of your imminent departure. I believe it must've been a clause on your offer letter to which you must have agreed.

However, as for the unfulfilled agreements on the part of the authorities, I think you'll need these as counter claims when push comes to shove. I'm no lawyer but I know there's what's called "pacta sunt servanda" in law; meaning an agreement must be honoured in good faith. So far so good, your only flaw (from your write up) has to do with the one-month notice thing. It's always important as employees to part ways your employers on a good note (except they choose not to).

As for the threats, it'll be best to notify your lawyer (if you have one) or any other "competent" authority about your plight (with the tape-recorded evidence as well). Never let such tough talk scare/bother... you .... shall overcome! Also, you may privately inquire from some "trusted" associates of yours in the "slave camp" about what the current state of things are before you make the next move after thoroughly sampling other opinions.

By the way, have you given the British Council a shot, given your qualifications and technical expertise? It's quite competitive over there but kindly do if you have not. You shall overcome!

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by udz: 6:02am On Oct 07, 2015
Private schools dis days are complete slave camps. i will advise my children and frnds neva to teach in private skools because they just want to have something doing for the mean time. when i was in one slave camp of a skool, i just left the skool without even dropping a leta or informing them. when they called, I no pick. i no get time, when i vex i don vex.... Op, U cant continue to be afraid and defensive. prepare ur form of attack by emailing this story and voice recording to linda ikeji, stell dim..., ands state the name of the skool, make I no if parents withdraw all their kids weda the woman go get money arrest person.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by exotiqueify(f): 7:07am On Oct 07, 2015
dannypalatino:
Bro,if u are in possession of any of their item pls give it to them.
If not,maybe the password to there server and system,text it to them via phone.

Seconded!
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 07, 2015
All dis werey olori burukun employers sef... angry

Na so I resign for one stupid place without notice, the woman threaten my life die, I told her to bring it all...I will report to the authorities all she did to me even physically abuse...werey pple...

My dear I cnt advice better..liberace and co hav said it all nothing more...jst report to the authority, be one step ahead of dem

Btw be careful ooo..some pple cn be mean ooo...make dem no kidnapp u do u sth ooo..cos as u take describe those pple dem be witch be time.. report to the authority oooo...so dat if anything happen to u dey will hold the school

Stay save abeg,a lot of company needs ur potentials

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Nobody: 6:11am On Oct 09, 2015
babajeje123:
@Liberace, thank you so much. To be candid, I didn't do any wrong by not giving a month notice. I have friends that gave a month notice but were not paid for that last month including the 5% deductions. Beside, the clause in the appointment letter states that I can resign giving a month notice or a month salary. The man has been deducting 5% from my salary for more than 2 years which is even more than a month salary.

I see. Then you may 'fire on' as you please. I believe better offers will come your way soon. My best wishes.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by SamAbims(m): 9:54am On Oct 09, 2015
Left a school without dropping a letter too, who has time after they have sapped all my energy. Just went there monday morn told d principal I'm not coming again, she said wait for the direector, I told her 'tell him to call me'. Private school job, slavery of d highest order.

udz:
Private schools dis days are complete slave camps. i will advise my children and frnds neva to teach in private skools because they just want to have something doing for the mean time. when i was in one slave camp of a skool, i just left the skool without even dropping a leta or informing them. when they called, I no pick. i no get time, when i vex i don vex.... Op, U cant continue to be afraid and defensive. prepare ur form of attack by emailing this story and voice recording to linda ikeji, stell dim..., ands state the name of the skool, make I no if parents withdraw all their kids weda the woman go get money arrest person.
Re: Advice Needed Urgently by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 09, 2015
Chai are private schools really these bad? I am just shell shocked at all these stories.

At OP,

Did you receive your September salary before stepping. Is the school aware of your home address as in can they trace you to your house?

Provide them with the server password and other sensitive information you have as quickly as possible and do so in writing via email so everything is well documented.

Copy all parties concerned in that mail and then fight for your life, pull yourself up and get it together. Fight back through your email and let these jackasses know enough is enough.

Clearly state in your mail the injustices you've mentioned here and threaten them back with legal action or exposure via Linda Ikeji blog if they do not cease from harassing your life with their own threats.

There are certain battles in life you do not shy away from, nobody wants trouble or problems but they will always come whether we want it or not and we've got to fight back otherwise people will only continue to bully us, mistreat us or take undue advantage.

You have got to fight back - the fight you put up may just scare these jerks enough to make them back down. Answer those calls if you get anymore and do not be a sissy over the phone. Respond to these idiots the same way they treat you if they shout - shout right back, if they insult you please return the gesture.

I am even vexing right now as to how you handling this matter. Show them say craze pass craze it may not be in your character but sometimes we need to act out of character to make things happen.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Urgently by prideofscience: 12:50pm On Oct 09, 2015
Na so after exams and micro teaching, they said i will teaching jss2 to ss3... With challenging subjects such as Chem, physic, maths, basic sci. etc and de go pay me 30k
When i reac house i see the lesson note s i go de prepare. I ran for my their life.

They want to cut my life short just because am good in teaching.

That how de suffer me when i de serve for Ughelli, Delta state

Broda comot there and go sue them too

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Is With Me On This / Longly Waited For Ipnx Limited Interview Invite / Leadhire Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.