Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? (1361 Views)

“bumbum“- The Main Thing Being Promoted In Naija Music Industry Today / Do Dancers Have A Future to hold In Nigeria?? / CEO DANCERS Dancing To K9's Kokoma On Britain's Got Talent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by thaFLYT(m): 4:36pm On Apr 22, 2009
As a dancer in europe, i have earn up to 32euros /hr as a dance teacher/ dance judge and as a dancer for artists. . For shows and Artists to be dope and look thier best, good dancing needs to be. As a dance teacher also, i know that apart from enjoying moving to a nice beat or music , dancing keeps us healthy and fit. I worked with the govt welfare programmes for youths, teaching them dancing-Hiphop,breakdance and krump. The result is that psychologically they believed more in themselves and practically occupied these youths that could have been a potential hazard to the society in their spare, idol and boring times. in he whole forum, i saw just 1 article talking about dance ie nigerian breakdancer that were preparing to go to The international Battle of the year in Germany. Of course, i didnt find them there becos they didnt stand a chance even in the African scene. but they shouldnt give up but, keep practicing. I hope The Govt and we all can give some more attention to dancing in nigerian the scene . I personally would be glad to contribute in everyway even if it means coming over to Nigeria.
Robin Subi- Sir Freddy c ,tha Flyt (0371 crew)cry wink
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 22, 2009
tha FLYT:

As a dancer in europe, i have earn up to 32euros /hr as a dance teacher/ dance judge and as a dancer for artists. . For shows and Artists to be dope and look thier best, good dancing needs to be. As a dance teacher also, i know that apart from enjoying moving to a nice beat or music , dancing keeps us healthy and fit. I worked with the govt welfare programmes for youths, teaching them dancing-Hiphop,breakdance and krump. The result is that psychologically they believed more in themselves and practically occupied these youths that could have been a potential hazard to the society in their spare, idol and boring times. in he whole forum, i saw just 1 article talking about dance ie nigerian breakdancer that were preparing to go to The international Battle of the year in Germany. Of course, i didnt find them there becos they didnt stand a chance even in the African scene. but they shouldnt give up but, keep practicing. I hope The Govt and we all can give some more attention to dancing in nigerian the scene . I personally would be glad to contribute in everyway even if it means coming over to Nigeria.
Robin Subi- Sir Freddy c ,tha Flyt (0371 crew)cry wink

Who needs to promote who when every Nigerian can dance? tongue
Besides, swoo, galala, tonto, fuji, otigba etc are our thing and not "breakdance".
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by thaFLYT(m): 5:25pm On Apr 22, 2009
NuZo,
I agree with u that nigerians can dance all those Nigerian traditional dances but the real questions are- How many of these nigerians are making a living out of it? How many are using it to have a positive impact on the people/ youths? How is the technical development/ improvement of these dances and how are these dances been promoted in nigeria and abroad? Do ur thing but if u cant beat them, u join them, untill u can beat them, Tha Flyt
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:30am On Apr 24, 2009
tha FLYT:

NuZo,
I agree with u that nigerians can dance all those Nigerian traditional dances but the real questions are- How many of these nigerians are making a living out of it? How many are using it to have a positive impact on the people/ youths? How is the technical development/ improvement of these dances and how are these dances been promoted in nigeria and abroad? Do ur thing but if u cant beat them, u join them, untill u can beat them, Tha Flyt

A lot of people make their living from dancing competitions in nigeria. Though not as much as we all expect.

Once in a while, the different level of governments organize these competitions. You should also be aware that every clan, LGA, state and federal government have numerous dance troupes.
Like i said before, nobody will want to pay to watch what he/she feel he can do better. Most nigerians dance at least 4 times in a month; either in the church or in owambe parties.
The question should be; why is our kind of dance not promoted outside the shores of nigeria?
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by Horus(m): 12:05pm On Apr 24, 2009
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by tpiah: 5:26am On Apr 25, 2009
I think most of the kind of dancers you're referring to, might be overseas based since there's more exposure over there.

You have dance schools, dance classes, etc. Kids are taught and encouraged to dance right from the kindergarten level.
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by Pataki: 11:53pm On Apr 25, 2009
If I had an option to study dance for my undergraduate in Nigeria I would have done it. Unfortunately, there was none of such. Still I improved on myself in the art of dancing. Today, I hardly dance again though. undecided But it does not mean, I cannot teach dance to those who want and wish to learn the art of dancing. Although, the dancing I did last year is no more the dancing of today! grin But classical and all time dances such as Salsa, tango which is currently thriving in Nigeria, I am very good at them. Had to learn them rigorously when I was in the Netherlands.

As for the topic, dancing is really coming up now in Nigeria. People are beginning to see dancing as not only entertainment but also a good means of earning and thriving in Nigeria. SOD (Spirit of David) usually perform a dance contest/show annually, and Funmi Iyanda of NTA helps in promoting them. There are quite a couple of videos to it on youtube. You may wish to refer to it.

Furthermore, during my NYSC days, I represented my Platoon for the dancing competition. I came second, was supposed to represent the state where I served, for the National Dancing Competition in Abuja which entails all Youth Corp Members in Federation. But lo and behold, I was no where to be found! grin My state director looked for me here and there, called me on my mobile. . . . . . . . . . bla bla bla bla bla

So I believe dancing is very much promoted in Nigeria. Not yet at the desired level, but at least, there is the awareness and appreciation to dancing.
Re: Why Are Dancers/ Dancing Not Considered Nor Promoted In Nigeria? by princesa(f): 3:09pm On Apr 28, 2009
taking to the credits are shows like

! Celebrity takes two
2 malta guiness street dance Nigeria/Africa
3 maltina Family dance
4 close up Salsa train
and other not so popular underground dance related shows and competiton

though Dance isnt a big thing in Nigeria, it is doing well for itself and can boast of development compared to the days of old . . . . . . in one word, "We are getting there" smiley

(1) (Reply)

We Beaming (remix)- Lupe Feat. Asher Roth, Charles Hamilton, Cool Kids & More / Naija Trending 30 Songs / Axe Shampoo Bottle Camera Remote Control On/off And Motion Detection Record 32GB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.