Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Some Facts About Hausa People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Facts About Hausa People (6080 Views)

Some Facts About Ndi Igbo You Dont Know / 6 Misconceptions About Hausa People / So Leo Africanus Describe Hausa People As Rich Merchants And Civilized Craftsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Facts About Hausa People by kaura5000: 3:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
1.hausa people constitute one of the largest ethnic group in africa
2.kano city a hausa city state is the oldest city in west africa
3.kurmi market is one of the oldest market in africa. In ancient times it serves as southern terminus for the famous transaharan trade
4.the hawan sallah or durbar is the largest procession of colourful horses in the world. The first durbar was initiated by sarki muhammad rumfa some 600years ago
5.alhassn dantata the wealthiest man in west Africa in the 1900s was a hausa man
5.aliko dangote the richest man in the world is a hausa person
6.current president of niger republic muhammad issofou is a hausa man
7.the first storey building gobarau minaret was built by a hausa king
8.the first recorded jihad in west Africa was initiated by hausa king sarki aliyu yaji around 13th century
9.the kano dye pits are the oldest in africa they provide the tran Saharan trade with it distinct blue indigo colour
10.queen amina of zazzau was a great hausa queen who conquered much the area known as modern nigeria.. she was said to have always chosen a lover from the people she conquered and kill him the next day to prevent him from speaking from about their affair
11.Lastly the hausa people have an equestrian based culture . Horses are highly valued in hausa culture.. horse are a way of showing status and affluence

2 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Mutuwa(m): 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2015
smiley

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 07, 2015
Cool.

As for the oldest city in West Africa, though, I think that distinction more rightly belongs to Djenné.

3 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 08, 2015
Radoillo:
Cool.

As for the oldest city in West Africa, though, I think that distinction more rightly belongs to Djenné.

Lol! Source? Otherwise you're just hating.
Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Crayola1: 3:58am On Oct 08, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

Hating on what? If he's wrong you don't be a d!ck about it and just explain why it's incorrect.

NYC despite being a younger city is the only real competitor to London, despite Paris/Vienna/Rome/etc being right next door to London and older than NYC.

No one cares if whether you started the race before the rest, it's where you end up.

4 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 5:29am On Oct 08, 2015
Crayola1:

Hating on what? If he's wrong you don't be a d!ck about it and just explain why it's incorrect.

NYC despite being a younger city is the only real competitor to London, despite Paris/Vienna/Rome/etc being right next door to London and older than NYC.

No one cares if whether you started the race before the rest, it's where you end up.

Haha. Seeing as no other source I've checked before making that commenting can back up his claim, he must be hating and so must you.
Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 7:00am On Oct 08, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

I do not know why Nigerians always think that when people disagree with them it must be because they're hating. Is there any reason why I (a Nigerian) would rather have Mali produce the oldest city in West Africa than my own native Nigeria? I didn't even disagree with OP's long list of Kano's achievements except this one thing.

The internet is scattered with references to Kano as the oldest city in West Africa. It is also scattered with references to Djenné as the oldest city in subsaharan Africa. But when you compare the dates for the founding of both cities, it becomes immediately clear that Djenné has the stronger claim.

For Kano:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=web6Hvpcl04C&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=oldest+city+in+west+africa+kano&source=bl&ots=57jmW6OGij&sig=0NsPU7cSm2lpfEoKlpy1xJnSHIw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CAsQ6AEwADgKahUKEwjZru_sjrLIAhVBuhQKHfqoC6o#v=onepage&q=oldest city in west africa kano&f=false

The above link is from a book called 'Nigeria' by Douglas A. Philips and Charles F. Gritzner, and this is what it says about Kano - "Kano is West Africa's oldest city, dating back more than 1,000 years to 998 when it was first settled."

For Djenné:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/ind_1/hd_ind_1.htm

This link is from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and it says about Djenné - "Jenne-Jeno ("Old Jenne"; Djenne-Jeno), site of the oldest known city of subsaharan Africa, was populated as early as 250 BC and expanded to become a major urban centre by 850 AD."

Is trying to factual hate?

6 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 08, 2015
Radoillo:

I do not know why Nigerians always think that when people disagree with them it must be because they're hating. Is there any reason why I (a Nigerian) would rather have Mali produce the oldest city in West Africa than my own native Nigeria? I didn't even disagree with OP's long list of Kano's achievements except this one thing.

The internet is scattered with references to Kano as the oldest city in West Africa. It is also scattered with references to Djenné as the oldest city in subsaharan Africa. But when you compare the dates for the founding of both cities, it becomes immediately clear that Djenné has the stronger claim.

For Kano:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=web6Hvpcl04C&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=oldest+city+in+west+africa+kano&source=bl&ots=57jmW6OGij&sig=0NsPU7cSm2lpfEoKlpy1xJnSHIw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CAsQ6AEwADgKahUKEwjZru_sjrLIAhVBuhQKHfqoC6o#v=onepage&q=oldest city in west africa kano&f=false

The above link is from a book called 'Nigeria' by Douglas A. Philips and Charles F. Gritzner, and this is what it says about Kano - "Kano is West Africa's oldest city, dating back more than 1,000 years to 998 when it was first settled."

For Djenné:

This link is from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and it says about Djenné - "Jenne-Jeno ("Old Jenne"; Djenne-Jeno), site of the oldest known city of subsaharan Africa, was populated as early as 250 BC and expanded to become a major urban centre by 850 AD."

First of all Djenné was a town not a city. And yes there's a difference. And you mistake oldest city for an old settlement, going by what you said, then there have been a lot of places that have been settled in Africa long before that. Saying 200BC is the earliest settlement in West Africa is frankly quite absurd. Also, when was the modern day Djenné found. Did you forget to mention the town was completely deserted around the 14th century? Or was it just out of convenience? The modern day city of Kano on the other hand has existed, uninterruptedly since the tenth century.
Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 08, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

First of all Djenné was a town not a city. And yes there's a difference. And you mistake oldest city for an old settlement, going by what you said, then there have been a lot of places that have been settled in Africa long before that. Saying 200BC is the earliest settlement in West Africa is frankly quite absurd. Also, when was the modern day Djenné found. Did you forget to mention the town was completely deserted around the 14th century? Or was it just out of convenience? The modern day city of Kano on the other hand has existed, uninterruptedly since the tenth century.

Perhaps, you may have to define 'city' for me...and 'town', too. Like, how many people does it take to make a city - 50,000? 100, 000? at least a million? What landmarks must be present before a population centre can be described as a city - enclosing walls, large markets, tall/big buildings? Does the activity of the dwellers have any bearing on the definitions? Like, if they are largely farmers instead of traders and men of learning, should the title 'city' not apply to them?

You have to explain these things to me so I can better understand why you think Djenné is/ was not a city, but a mere town, 'cause more objective scholars (archaeologists and historians) regard Djenné as a city. 'The City of Mud' they call it.

Now, I may understand your objection to the 250 BC date - but you overlook where it says that by 850 AD, it had become a major urban centre. Some sources put the date for its urbanisation earlier - at about 800 AD. These dates are earlier than the 998/999 date given for the founding of Kano.

And if I may use your own line of argument, why do you assume that Kano was already a city at its founding in 998 (i.e., the tenth century), rather than just a settlement. We know that it did not become a major trading centre until much later. Did Kano become a significant place before the days of Yaji and Kanajeji in the 14th and 15th centuries?

You said Djenné was abandoned in the 14th century. Maybe true - I don't know. Do you have a source? If that turns out to be fact, it doesn't mean it is no longer the oldest West African city - it only means that it may not be the longest continually inhabited city. Different titles. Among some writers Jericho is touted as the oldest city (its walls going back to 6,800 BC), yet the city has been abandoned and resettled so many times in its history.

It would be much more accurate to describe Kano as one of the oldest cities in West Africa, rather than the oldest. When one insists on it being the oldest, one enters contentious grounds.

5 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Crayola1: 2:01am On Oct 09, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

Haha. Seeing as no other source I've checked before making that commenting can back up his claim, he must be hating and so must you.

Yes I truly envy a 3rd world city in a 3rd world country.

I would trade clean running water and constant power for Kano.

What do I need a job for when I can experience excruciating poverty in sun baked Kano.

Can I sign up today?

3 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 2:53am On Oct 09, 2015
Crayola1:

Yes I truly envy a 3rd world city in a 3rd world country.

I would trade clean running water and constant power for Kano.

What do I need a job for when I can experience excruciating poverty in sun baked Kano.

Can I sign up today?

Isn't this a cliché? Another Igbo man claiming superiority or foreign roots. Looool! Jolly good, mate. I have always been a fan of your constant chest beatings, for reasons best known to myself and those who share a similar agenda. All hail the mighty Igbo race and their legendary civilizations and intellectual prowess over all grin
Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 3:00am On Oct 09, 2015
Radoillo:

Perhaps, you may have to define 'city' for me...and 'town', too. Like, how many people does it take to make a city - 50,000? 100, 000? at least a million? What landmarks must be present before a population centre can be described as a city - enclosing walls, large markets, tall/big buildings? Does the activity of the dwellers have any bearing on the definitions? Like, if they are largely farmers instead of traders and men of learning, should the title 'city' not apply to them?

You have to explain these things to me so I can better understand why you think Djenné is/ was not a city, but a mere town, 'cause more objective scholars (archaeologists and historians) regard Djenné as a city. 'The City of Mud' they call it.

Now, I may understand your objection to the 250 BC date - but you overlook where it says that by 850 AD, it had become a major urban centre. Some sources put the date for its urbanisation earlier - at about 800 AD. These dates are earlier than the 998/999 date given for the founding of Kano.

And if I may use your own line of argument, why do you assume that Kano was already a city at its founding in 998 (i.e., the tenth century), rather than just a settlement. We know that it did not become a major trading centre until much later. Did Kano become a significant place before the days of Yaji and Kanajeji in the 14th and 15th centuries?

You said Djenné was abandoned in the 14th century. Maybe true - I don't know. Do you have a source? If that turns out to be fact, it doesn't mean it is no longer the oldest West African city - it only means that it may not be the longest continually inhabited city. Different titles. Among some writers Jericho is touted as the oldest city (its walls going back to 6,800 BC), yet the city has been abandoned and resettled so many times in its history.

It would be much more accurate to describe Kano as one of the oldest cities in West Africa, rather than the oldest. When one insists on it being the oldest, one enters contentious grounds.

Lol! Good, now we can engage in a discussion. Djenné became a city after it was abandoned and then resettled as much of the famous muddy architecture which gave it its name can be traced to this period. If you consider an abandoned site a city then maybe your earlier question may not have been a rhetoric as I had assumed. As to your claims about jericho, please elaborate when it was last settled and when it was last abandoned. You bring facts, But you also leave facts in the vague out of convenience. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I'm from kano, but I am under the assumption that I am assuming based on facts and so far you have not been able to prove otherwise.
Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Crayola1: 8:21pm On Oct 09, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

Isn't this a cliché? Another Igbo man claiming superiority or foreign roots. Looool! Jolly good, mate. I have always been a fan of your constant chest beatings, for reasons best known to myself and those who share a similar agenda. All hail the mighty Igbo race and their legendary civilizations and intellectual prowess over all grin

Superiority about what? You said I was "hating" and when I told you simply there was nothing to "hate on" you've become positively bothered grin Now you are talking about things that have no bearing on the discussion.

Tell me what exactly does someone who lives in a country where basic necessities are met has to hate on a place where "0" of those things are met? When did constant power become a sign of superiority lmao, poor people things I guess.

Sucks to be you I guess.

ZelrothCloven:We have no light, water, and the highest mortality rates in the world but I am superior to everyone.

I got this from you Facebook and Instagram so don't crucify me o.

4 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Crayola1: 3:52am On Oct 10, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

Looooooool! Of course neither do you. So you're reduced to Hating on pretty much everything. Lool! Nice picture by the way, reminds me of a certain group of people. Gee, who in Nigeria is known for broad chest, hairy and muscular bodies, chest beatings and their signature big noses! Some say these people may not have fully evolved from their previous ancestors hence their primitive behaviour. I guess we'll never know. Haha, but that Facebook and Instagram part got me cracking, sounds like two things a great Igbo man like your self from the mighty Igbo race might be excited about. What have you contributed to the topic at hand anyway? LOOOL! Like I said, hate and a horrid attempt at tribal bashing when indeed you're completely clueless as to what's going on.

Sir, I know you are among the group of people who climax on mention of the word Igbo. And I'm not one to judge, as every freak needs his kink as they saygrin

But if you could stop jerking it off for a moment and remain somewhat lucid, can you explain to me what exactly is there to hate on about Kano? Inquiring minds would like to know?

What exactly is wrong with a big nose? Are you one of those sad individuals that pray to be as close as possible to anything other than Black?

Most Nigerians have wide noses, so do most West Africans, and hell a vast majority of Sub Saharan Africans share this trait. What exactly is your point? Am I supposed to feel bad about that?

No one is going to mistake this right here for anything other than wide lol:

[img]http://2.bp..com/-sdefgE7smQU/VH9U9tvUdTI/AAAAAAABUkI/U0RlO1kKNMQ/s1600/a.jpg[/img]

More subhumans by your definition:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/374035_681x454_jpgda024d1d92a95da8120d4c3f2fa306c1

Why would I be excited about the fact I found your photos on facebook, it is what it is in my opinion. Thanks for admitting it's you by the way grin you really need to make it harder to look up man, jackazz from Kano was like an instant match.

Having you rant and rave for lulz is a pretty big accomplishment I think. I didn't say much and have you all in your feelings lol.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-xK7YtYQ1Pxg/UZXSs0jKdBI/AAAAAAAAAmA/ek4SaKuVuIo/s640/AfroWomanYouMad-GIF.gif[/img]

I never mentioned tribe or ethnicity once so how did I bash anyone's tribe or ethnicity. However, you have been foaming at the mouth about Igbo this Igbo that lol. I just demanded you to give me anything substantial to hate on Kano about and obviously you can't which is why you are resorting to your most primal instincts of insulting tribe/ethnicity.

I don't care which city is older but I do think it's childish for people to accuse other people of "hating" when all they did was to make a reasonable comment in the interest of furthering the discussion. I don't even subscribe to any group being better than the other which is why I have insulted you (because you are a dumm.y) and not your ethnicity because that's what losers (that's you by the way) do when they don't have much to stand on.

Anyway you are welcomed to bang another one out by mentioning Igbo, too much tension is not good bruh.

4 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 4:59am On Oct 10, 2015
Crayola1:

Sir, I know you are among the group of people who climax on mention of the word Igbo. And I'm not one to judge, as every freak needs his kink as they saygrin

But if you could stop jerking it off for a moment and remain somewhat lucid, can you explain to me what exactly is there to hate on about Kano? Inquiring minds would like to know?

What exactly is wrong with a big nose? Are you one of those sad individuals that pray to be as close as possible to anything other than Black?

Most Nigerians have wide noses, so do most West Africans, and hell a vast majority of Sub Saharan Africans share this trait. What exactly is your point? Am I supposed to feel bad about that?

No one is going to mistake this right here for anything other than wide lol:

[img]http://2.bp..com/-sdefgE7smQU/VH9U9tvUdTI/AAAAAAABUkI/U0RlO1kKNMQ/s1600/a.jpg[/img]

More subhumans by your definition:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/374035_681x454_jpgda024d1d92a95da8120d4c3f2fa306c1

Why would I be excited about the fact I found your photos on facebook, it is what it is in my opinion. Thanks for admitting it's you by the way grin you really need to make it harder to look up man, jackazz from Kano was like an instant match.

Having you rant and rave for lulz is a pretty big accomplishment I think. I didn't say much and have you all in your feelings lol.
[img]http://2.bp..com/-xK7YtYQ1Pxg/UZXSs0jKdBI/AAAAAAAAAmA/ek4SaKuVuIo/s640/AfroWomanYouMad-GIF.gif[/img]

I never mentioned tribe or ethnicity once so how did I bash anyone's tribe or ethnicity. However, you have been foaming at the mouth about Igbo this Igbo that lol. I just demanded you to give me anything substantial to hate on Kano about and obviously you can't which is why you are resorting to your most primal instincts of insulting tribe/ethnicity.

I don't care which city is older but I do think it's childish for people to accuse other people of "hating" when all they did was to make a reasonable comment in the interest of furthering the discussion. I don't even subscribe to any group being better than the other which is why I have insulted you (because you are a dumm.y) and not your ethnicity because that's what losers (that's you by the way) do when they don't have much to stand on.

Anyway you are welcomed to bang another one out by mentioning Igbo, too much tension is not good bruh.

Loool! I see what you're doing here. This thread was created to appreciate what my ancestors accomplished centuries ago. But apparently you are trying to derail it by turning this into what ever this is. So I will not indulge you.

But just for fun I'll throw in one more, did I say big? I meant to say ginormous! Don't forget hairy as a lassoo and molded in a shape amazingly close to that of a gorilla. How about you keep denying your horrendous looks, you twirly du.mb fvck. And btw I have nothing against your people, except the...
Forget about it....but there's no denying it. You guys are ugly primitive unaccomplished empty chest beating race of sub humans who would still be running around naked if not for the brits intervention. No wonder they shipped your people in loads because that's what they saw beasts of burden like you are good for, but you should thank the white devil's they decided to spare your race, albeit an exercise in futility.

And if you're trying to pass the second guy for hausa then you must be even dum.be than I thought! Does the clothing style or the way he wore his hat resemble that of a hausa? LOOOL! Like everything you and your race do, another Epic Fail!!!! And judging by the time you spend here, I think your ugliness has destroyed your social life. And btw, I dont have a Facebook or Instagram account du.mbass! I mean I know youre just being a mo.Ron but I just thought I'd throw that in....

Again I will like to dare you to contribute anything useful to the topic at hand? What now? You can't? You're just an ugly ugly man with a tiny tiny brain? Ooh...pay me no mind

I have to say, this is one of the dumbest exhibition of dumbosity I have witnessed in a while.

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Crayola1: 6:10am On Oct 10, 2015
ZelrothCloven:

Loool! I see what you're doing here. This thread was created to appreciate what my ancestors accomplished centuries ago. But apparently you are trying to derail it by turning this into what ever this is. So I will not indulge you.
But just for fun I'll throw in one more, did I say big? I meant to say ginormous! Don't forget hairy as a lassoo and molded in a shape amazingly close to that of a gorilla. How about you keep denying your horrendous looks, you twirly du.mb fvck. And btw I have nothing against your people, except the...
Forget about it....but there's no denying it. You guys are ugly primitive unaccomplished empty chest beating race of sub humans who would still be running around naked if not for the brits intervention. No wonder they shipped your people in loads because that's what they saw beasts of burden like you are good for, but you should thank the white devil's they decided to spare your race, albeit an exercise in futility.
And if you're trying to pass the second guy for hausa then you must be even dum.be than I thought! Does the clothing style or the way he wore his hat resemble that of a hausa? LOOOL! Like everything you and your race do, another Epic Fail!!!! And judging by the time you spend here, I think your ugliness has destroyed your social life. And btw, I dont have a Facebook or Instagram account du.mbass! I mean I know youre just being a mo.Ron but I just thought I'd throw that in....
Again I will like to dare you to contribute anything useful to the topic at hand? What now? You can't? You're just an ugly ugly man with a tiny tiny brain? Ooh...pay me no mind
I have to say, this is one of the dumbest exhibition of dumbosity I have witnessed in a while.

What am I doing? Right now? Having a good laugh at your expense, which I thank you for.

I never derailed the thread. Ironically you did and continue to do so. grin But you are indulging me, look at how you are frothing at the mouth.

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/4301399+_565b355902cfd9cd28a644144019c6bf.jpg[/img]

The anger and bitterness is so strong in you. Like I can picture you furiously typing in pitch darkness (because we all know light no dey as Nigerians say) on your techno phone. Isn't it like 5 am in Nigeria, you really have no life grin

And? Your point? Once again what is wrong with a ginormous nose? God created it so why is it bad in your eyes?

So I guess the people I posted are also gorillas, because their noses were definitely not petite. Lmao.

There's only one race buddy and it's the human race and last time I checked slavery touched every ethnicity in Nigeria. So whether it was less or more they still put your ancestor's behind on a boat and shipped it across the Atlantic.

Are Hausa people a hive mind that only dress one way? Hausa people can be found in many places across West Africa. Take it up with Google if it's a case of mistaken identity.

Because you say you don't have one that means it's true right? My friend don't deny your 8x10 glossy I found on the internet lol. If you like I can produce more photos, I'm happy to oblige grin

Why should I? Seeing you pop a blood vessel over the littlest things is so funny. I love how you can't tell me why I should be so jealous of Kano so you have to resort to barking madly. So cute.

So far nothing you said has hurt my feelings because I get to wake up to clean water and constant electricity. That shi.t is pretty amazing if you've never experienced it first hand (which lets be honest you havent tongue). And the only thing you can console yourself with is thinking that I'm even half as ugly as you are (inside and out, and then you will have the nerve to go to go pray to God aftewards lIke all the other hypocritical Nigerians). The cruel irony is I don't hate Hausa people, my issue was your attitude not what the OP posted but I mean your igboits has a way of flaring up and fuc.king you over something fierce.

4 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by TerraCotta(m): 6:44am On Oct 10, 2015
Radoillo:

I agree. It's one thing to have jobless types who can't write a coherent sentence arguing about petty ethnic differences but if we can't have honest conversations about our national history, this country really does have slim prospects for the future.

On the topic--Kano has many attributes and achievements to be legitimately proud of, including the unique indigenous engineering and architecture of its city walls and adobe homes. It's unlikely that it is the "oldest city in West Africa." I don't think it can even claim that title for Nigeria. Ile-Ife showed the first signs of human habitation from 350 BC and was definitely a glassworks-manufacturing center between 800-1000 AD. I doubt that this would make it the oldest city in West Africa either but there's certainly archaeological proof of the city's age.

Djenne-Jeno may have been rebuilt (as have many parts of London and Paris, for instance) but it's accurate to describe it as an older city than Kano. That 998 AD "founding date" is also interesting to me. I would like to read about its dating and the sources for the Kano Chronicle, which is generally cited as the origin of the claim.

Sources for dates of Djene, Ife and other ancient African cities available here: http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/blier/files/blier.1_african_metropolitan_architecture_ed._adjaye_2012_pdf_edited_copy.pdf

For Kano:

For Djenné:

Not at all. Most of the Kano references are from guidebooks and regurgitated citations like these ones. We should be trying to do better. As Radoillo pointed out, we don't get a prize if Djenne is older than Kano. It's just more useful and important to know the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 10, 2015
TerraCotta:

I agree. It's one thing to have jobless types who can't write a coherent sentence arguing about petty ethnic differences but if we can't have honest conversations about our national history, this country really does have slim prospects for the future.

On the topic--Kano has many attributes and achievements to be legitimately proud of, including the unique indigenous engineering and architecture of its city walls and adobe homes. It's unlikely that it is the "oldest city in West Africa." I don't think it can even claim that title for Nigeria. Ile-Ife showed the first signs of human habitation from 350 BC and was definitely a glassworks-manufacturing center between 800-1000 AD. I doubt that this would make it the oldest city in West Africa either but there's certainly archaeological proof of the city's age.

Djenne-Jeno may have been rebuilt (as have many parts of London and Paris, for instance) but it's accurate to describe it as an older city than Kano. That 998 AD "founding date" is also interesting to me. I would like to read about its dating and the sources for the Kano Chronicle, which is generally cited as the origin of the claim.

Sources for dates of Djene, Ife and other ancient African cities available here: http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/blier/files/blier.1_african_metropolitan_architecture_ed._adjaye_2012_pdf_edited_copy.pdf

Not at all. Most of the Kano references are from guidebooks and regurgitated citations like these ones. We should be trying to do better. As Radoillo pointed out, we don't get a prize if Djenne is older than Kano. It's just more useful and important to know the truth.

1 Like

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 10, 2015
TerraCotta:

Thank you, Terracotta. And thank you, especially for that Suzanne Blier's article. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 10, 2015
Crayola1:

What am I doing? Right now? Having a good laugh at your expense, which I thank you for.

I never derailed the thread. Ironically you did and continue to do so. grin But you are indulging me, look at how you are frothing at the mouth.

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/4301399+_565b355902cfd9cd28a644144019c6bf.jpg[/img]

The anger and bitterness is so strong in you. Like I can picture you furiously typing in pitch darkness (because we all know light no dey as Nigerians say) on your techno phone. Isn't it like 5 am in Nigeria, you really have no life grin

And? Your point? Once again what is wrong with a ginormous nose? God created it so why is it bad in your eyes?

So I guess the people I posted are also gorillas, because their noses were definitely not petite. Lmao.

There's only one race buddy and it's the human race and last time I checked slavery touched every ethnicity in Nigeria. So whether it was less or more they still put your ancestor's behind on a boat and shipped it across the Atlantic.

Are Hausa people a hive mind that only dress one way? Hausa people can be found in many places across West Africa. Take it up with Google if it's a case of mistaken identity.

Because you say you don't have one that means it's true right? My friend don't deny your 8x10 glossy I found on the internet lol. If you like I can produce more photos, I'm happy to oblige grin

Why should I? Seeing you pop a blood vessel over the littlest things is so funny. I love how you can't tell me why I should be so jealous of Kano so you have to resort to barking madly. So cute.

So far nothing you said has hurt my feelings because I get to wake up to clean water and constant electricity. That shi.t is pretty amazing if you've never experienced it first hand (which lets be honest you havent tongue). And the only thing you can console yourself with is thinking that I'm even half as ugly as you are (inside and out, and then you will have the nerve to go to go pray to God aftewards lIke all the other hypocritical Nigerians). The cruel irony is I don't hate Hausa people, my issue was your attitude not what the OP posted but I mean your igboits has a way of flaring up and fuc.king you over something fierce.

Wtf? My tears? What sort of sick specie of faggotry is this? It's 5 am in Nigeria, well if you haven't figured it out yet I'm 7hours ahead you mindless wan.ker! Lol! Get to wake up with constant water and electricity mu foot! More of that legendary empty chest beating eh? LOOOL! But like I said I won't let you derail the thread. Well That and the fact that you haven't said anything worthy of a lengthy reply. Because you know...You being so stup.Id and all. But I have to say, this was entertaining, but just for the first few seconds.
Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by Crayola1: 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2015

Wtf? My tears? What sort of sick specie of faggotry is this? It's 5 am in Nigeria, well if you haven't figured it out yet I'm 7hours ahead you mindless wan.ker! Lol! Get to wake up with constant water and electricity mu foot! More of that legendary empty chest beating eh? LOOOL! But like I said I won't let you derail the thread. Well That and the fact that you haven't said anything worthy of a lengthy reply. Because you know...You being so stup.Id and all. But I have to say, this was entertaining, but just for the first few seconds.

5 or 7 hrs ahead, what's the difference chief? It was still pretty much the Crack of dawn in Nigeria and you were here jerking off to Igbo this and that. It's a bit obsessive bruh and it can't be healthy lipsrsealed

I do and it's so awesome. No up NEPA for me grin As long as the bills stay paid it's all good here. Constant light, no threats of being bombed in my house, clean water (while you are busy pouring detol to bath as we speak). Why would I need to brag about heat and light, and why would you consider basic necessities bragging?

Poverty is a bastar.d.
[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/4641575+_e41cbbf45277cc95984aa1b1308a30e3.jpg[/img]

You already did dude and that's the best part I said very little and you are having an aneurysm. You are literally derailing your own thread and don't even see it. Or you do and can't help yourself. Either way sh!t is hilarious to me.

Re: Some Facts About Hausa People by haldo: 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2016
kaura5000:
1.hausa people constitute one of the largest ethnic group in africa
2.kano city a hausa city state is the oldest city in west africa
3.kurmi market is one of the oldest market in africa. In ancient times it serves as southern terminus for the famous transaharan trade
4.the hawan sallah or durbar is the largest procession of colourful horses in the world. The first durbar was initiated by sarki muhammad rumfa some 600years ago
5.alhassn dantata the wealthiest man in west Africa in the 1900s was a hausa man
5.aliko dangote the richest man in the world is a hausa person
6.current president of niger republic muhammad issofou is a hausa man
7.the first storey building gobarau minaret was built by a hausa king
8.the first recorded jihad in west Africa was initiated by hausa king sarki aliyu yaji around 13th century
9.the kano dye pits are the oldest in africa they provide the tran Saharan trade with it distinct blue indigo colour
10.queen amina of zazzau was a great hausa queen who conquered much the area known as modern nigeria.. she was said to have always chosen a lover from the people she conquered and kill him the next day to prevent him from speaking from about their affair
11.Lastly the hausa people have an equestrian based culture . Horses are highly valued in hausa culture.. horse are a way of showing status and affluence

Good job, this is very helpful! Thanks for posting!

(1) (Reply)

History And Biography Of Late Dr. Yusuf Maitama Sule, Danmasanin Kano / Aba Slangs And Meaning / Mbaise; Why They Hate Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.