Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,337 members, 7,957,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:11 AM

Eat Egusi, Die Early - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eat Egusi, Die Early (37278 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / How to Make Egusi Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by JeSoul(f): 12:02am On Apr 25, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Are you minding Aloy.Emeka and TOH. . . .they're egusi haters. grin grin
It is unfortunate that anyone be deprived by self or otherwise of the joys of egusi smiley . . . truly unfortunate.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 25, 2009
abi o.

But not to worry. TOH still get hope. cheesy cheesy
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by LadyT(f): 12:09am On Apr 25, 2009
cook it using vegetable oil or sunflower. I hate palm oil. Without palmoil egusi is fine
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by 4Play(m): 12:10am On Apr 25, 2009
Egusi is overrated. I have noticed that the only tasty Egusi is the one my mum cooks.

As for its artery clogging qualities, is it any worse than much of what makes up our native grub?
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by tope2000(f): 12:15am On Apr 25, 2009
4 Play:

Egusi is overrated. I have noticed that the only tasty Egusi is the one my mum cooks.

As for its artery clogging qualities, is it any worse than much of what makes up our native grub?

its not jor. . . .i love it cheesy
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by debosky(m): 12:18am On Apr 25, 2009
Egusi is not overrated - it's one of those few things with near universal appeal in Nigeria.

In fact all this talk of egusi is making me hungry! Tope send me your post code ASAP so I can come collect my share! tongue
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by 4Play(m): 12:18am On Apr 25, 2009
Tope cooks for her husband alone.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by tope2000(f): 12:20am On Apr 25, 2009
debosky:

Egusi is not overrated - it's one of those few things with near universal appeal in Nigeria.

In fact all this talk of egusi is making me hungry! Tope send me your post code ASAP so I can come collect my share! tongue

My husband said i cant send u any egusi soup grin
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by 4Play(m): 12:24am On Apr 25, 2009
tope2000:

You dey mind am? Please warm the egusi up for me before I get home.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by LadyT(f): 12:25am On Apr 25, 2009
angry

SO 4play this is where you are?

Your wife will hear of this.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by debosky(m): 12:29am On Apr 25, 2009
tope2000:

Who said anything about sending? Don't worry, I will come and COLLECT it myself. grin
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by tope2000(f): 12:37am On Apr 25, 2009
4 Play:

You dey mind am? Please warm the egusi up for me before I get home.

But u said u only like ur mum's egusi  angry. . .so im giving debo some cheesy
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by AloyEmeka9: 7:40am On Apr 25, 2009
Death by Egusi!!
That will be a sorry death. I rather die in the hands of Indian prostitutes while eating apples. grin grin grin grin
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by AloyEmeka9: 7:44am On Apr 25, 2009
Are you minding Aloy.Emeka and TOH. . . .they're egusi haters.
I really do love egusi contrary to general belief here but that does not make it healthy for human consumption. There is this whitish fungi[I only know the igbo name] they used to mix egusi for us when we were in boarding school because apparently egusi was too expensive to concentrate the soup. the irony of the whole thing is that the fungi is healthier and more nutritious than the so called egusi reserved for the rich and mighty. Igbos also eat egusi balls which they make with egusi, crayfish and some other spices. It's very delicious but I am sure the quantity of cholesterol in it can clog an AC hose how much less your arteries.

@David,
Our ancestors lived longer after consuming them because they weren't living a sedentary life like most of us do today. No AC, no car sef, no mineral water, no beer, no cigarette. Everywhere them wan go, na their leg dem de use. They had few overweight ones among them and even the overweight ones were still athletic.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by C2H5OH(f): 7:49am On Apr 25, 2009
Kaiiiiiiiiiiiiii EGUSIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!! I LOVE ME SOME EGUSI.

SERVE MY EGUSI WITH AMALA DUDU, BROKOTUH , PANLA, and PONMO.

Put fanta beside it and I am good to go.

smiley
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by AloyEmeka9: 6:04pm On Apr 25, 2009
Kaiiiiiiiiiiiiii EGUSIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!! I LOVE ME SOME EGUSI.

SERVE MY EGUSI WITH AMALA DUDU, BROKOTUH , PANLA, and PONMO.

Put fanta beside it and I am good to go.
You are better off with efon or any other veggie soup my brother.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:08pm On Apr 25, 2009
4 Play:

True. Alot of our food have such qualities, I just pick on egusi cos I hate it.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by naijaking1: 12:04am On Apr 26, 2009
Let's not forget egusi(mellon seeds) is a typical leguminous plant. That means despite significant amount of cholesterol, the plant is a source of much anti-oxidant, potassium, and trace minerals.

It sustained our people when protein was rare, so putting away plate-full egusi, when you're constantly exposed to pizza, burgers, fried chicken, etc; maybe a little too much.

For certain, egusi like other fatty food stay in the stomach for more than 90 minutes, so you may experience regurgitation, especially if eaten late at night.
(My cousin would especially have bad dreams about people trying to kill him after eating farina and egusi soup every night, untill I told him to stop his late dinner habit; then he stopped dreaming about witches and evils)
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:06am On Apr 26, 2009
Egusi is the food of winches cheesy
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by debosky(m): 12:07am On Apr 26, 2009
naijaking1:

Let's not forget egusi(mellon seeds) is a typical leguminous plant. That means despite significant amount of cholesterol, the plant is a source of much anti-oxidant, potassium, and trace minerals.

Not intended to derail the topic, but these 'anti-oxidants' have been shown to be ineffective or have no effects at best, so that is not really doing much for Egusi's case IMO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7754644.stm

(My cousin would especially have bad dreams about people trying to kill him after eating farina and egusi soup every night, untill I told him to stop his late dinner habit; then he stopped dreaming about witches and evils)

Now that is freaking ridiculous. Egusi induced nightmares.  grin grin grin
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by Hauwa1: 12:13am On Apr 26, 2009
LOL  grin grin grin
egusi induced nightmares grin
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by naijaking1: 12:46am On Apr 26, 2009
*Hauwa*:

LOL grin grin grin
egusi induced nightmares grin

Egusi doesn't induce nightmares per say, but any heavy meal that sits inside the stomach for long time tends to draw extra amount of blood from the total cardiac output.
When this happens you reduce the minimal 22-25% that's supposed to go to the brain, when the brain gets deprived of adequate blood/oxygen; you know what happens next.
You could see yourself pulling a mack truck just with one finger grin
Meanwhile, the extra blood is working overtime trying to breakdown and digest the egusi or the fatty heavy meal in your stomach. You could also jump up from sleep for the same reason.
Before, I get more query on this, fatty food and egusi are not the only causes of nightmare.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by babatee200(m): 12:51am On Apr 26, 2009
like we all know egusi is a very rich delicacy however since it is an oily food item,there is the need to eat it with cation
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by Hauwa1: 12:53am On Apr 26, 2009
grin  grin hehehe.

Naijaking1,
gotcha, thanks for the explanation  cool
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by naijaking1: 12:56am On Apr 26, 2009
debosky:

Not intended to derail the topic, but these 'anti-oxidants' have been shown to be ineffective or have no effects at best, so that is not really doing much for Egusi's case IMO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7754644.stm
Now that is freaking ridiculous. Egusi induced nightmares.  grin grin grin
Your link doesn't disprove the age-old medical dictum that free radicals are good for cancer prevention/reduction, or even different types of genetic mutations. Any student of advanced chemistry knows that radicals are released when certain chemical reactions take place, these radicals are like sparks of fire which if not collected and sequestered may actually start a fire in the system. If you're taking anti-oxidants with the hope of of changing your 70 year old skin to 20 year old skin, then you may need a little more than anti-oxidants as we know it to achieve that result. It doesn't disprove the effect of anti-oxidants at the molecular level.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by naijaking1: 12:59am On Apr 26, 2009
*Hauwa*:

grin grin hehehe.

Naijaking1,
gotcha, thanks for the explanation cool
Your welcome.
I see ur in NY; do you know the Ghananian ladies that make wonderful egusi soup in Bronx?
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by Hauwa1: 1:04am On Apr 26, 2009
nah i don't know her, am far from NY though wink
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by lalaboi(m): 8:07pm On Apr 26, 2009
My grandma who is an egusi freak as per ijebu parols. . . . .Ate Egusi all her life. . . and she nor kpai until after 80years. . . . .whats early with that?? lipsrsealed
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:59pm On Apr 26, 2009
lalaboi:

My grandma who is an egusi freak as per ijebu parols. . . . .Ate Egusi all her life. . . and she nor kpai until after 80years. . . . .whats early with that?? lipsrsealed

did she work at a desk all her life?
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by spikedcylinder: 11:29am On Apr 27, 2009
If you can work it off, its just as good as eating any other fattening/fried food jare.
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by unfaded(m): 2:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
embarassedall my naija meals have being labelled killer-this killer-that
1st was my still favourite beans--killer beans, then bromate bread, now its egusi
Re: Eat Egusi, Die Early by dae(f): 2:44pm On Apr 27, 2009
Emmmm, Ohh sh*t ---- me i eat egusi like i drink water. Even rice, i dey use egusi chop am!! chei!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hilda Baci Sheds Tears After Guinness World Record Certification (Video) / High Cost Of Living : See The African Pear I Bought For #400 / See The Bush Meat Killed In Our Farm Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.