Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience (972 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience by yutsuf(m): 9:10am On Oct 09, 2015
went to shoprite few weeks ago and met a man.... it was like a movie to me
He told me to learn about user interface and user experience
please I wish to know more about programming but I've gat zero idea about wat this is..
please guys help
Re: Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience by ExInferis(m): 8:34pm On Oct 09, 2015
yutsuf:
went to shoprite few weeks ago and met a man.... it was like a movie to me
He told me to learn about user interface and user experience
please I wish to know more about programming but I've gat zero idea about wat this is..
please guys help

Programming is simply creating instructions in a very structured way (syntax) to have your computer perform some action. Just like a recipe is a series of instructions on how to cook a meal, so also is programming a set of instructions for telling your computer how to do what you wish. Everything you see and do on your computer in its powered state is governed by such programmed instructions.

To be able to create such instructions and program (or input) them into the computer, you must learn and use specific "programming languages" which speak the computer's language.

This languages include Java, C, C++, C#, VB.net, Python, Objective C, Swift, etc. They all have their specific idiosyncracies, but all can be used to accomplish similar things.

Programming in whatever language is very structured, logical, has rules, keywords, conventions, formats, best practices, and scope.

Programming can appear daunting, what with all those weird symbols, variables, hyphenation etc. But if you learn the basics, if you really ground yourself in one language, learning others would be easy.

But the first rule about learning how to program: develop a keen interest. Then be committed.

User Interface, or UI, are the various elements of interaction between man and machine. Things like icons, sliders, buttons, login fields, prompts, cursors, dialog boxes, search fields, drop downs, just about any item onscreen and the input paradigms that facilitate your interaction with a given software describes the User Interface. This field is usually the domain of DESIGNERS.

User Experience, or UX, describes the experience or utility of the UI and how it facilitates your enjoyment or efficiency in using the program. Thus, UI and UX are interrelated; good UI design makes the User Experience better, easier, intuitive, and enjoyable. Bad UI design, conversely, detracts from the software and can make a poor experience of using the software.

Examples of bad UI that lead to poor UX: clutter, excess ornamentation, bad color gradients, fuzzy or small text, poor DPI scaling, confusing navigation, etc.

Examples of good UI design principles that enhance UX: minimalism, muted gradients, clear button labels, hints, using tabs instead of deep-linking web pages, highlighting and front-centering key elements.

Google has some of the best UI on the web. On the Gmail page, all you see is the logo, the credentials fields, and some buttons. Their default search site has just the logo, the search box, and a couple of buttons.

Bad UI design include Jumia, almost all Nigerian Government websites, BBC, Nairaland etc.

Since we're on Nairaland let me highlight a few:

1. Same basic design since from 10 years ago when Seun was just starting. NL needs a visual makeover.
2. text formatting (BIU, emojis, superscripts and subscripts, etc) when composing still rely on html conventions, which is archaic and confusing.
3. Most of the interaction on NL is based on texts and quoting same, however replies are neither inline nor indented, making following a conversation tedious with the present quoting system that is time stamp-based rather than thread-based.
4. No way to block stalkers, trolls, and id1ots from needless mentions. No granular control on the content one wishes to see or block based on tags.
5. All the topics are mere hyper-links. Doesnt give a sense of context or content.

Mind you, everything I've mentioned above are my own words based on experience. You might need to research further online for more accurate info.

cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience by Hibrahym: 6:48am On Oct 13, 2015
ExInferis:

Programming is simply creating instructions in a very structured way (syntax) to have your computer perform some action. Just like a recipe is a series of instructions on how to cook a meal, so also is programming a set of instructions for telling your computer how to do what you wish. Everything you see and do on your computer in its powered state is governed by such programmed instructions.

To be able to create such instructions and program (or input) them into the computer, you must learn and use specific "programming languages" which speak the computer's language.

This languages include Java, C, C++, C#, VB.net, Python, Objective C, Swift, etc. They all have their specific idiosyncracies, but all can be used to accomplish similar things.

Programming in whatever language is very structured, logical, has rules, keywords, conventions, formats, best practices, and scope.

Programming can appear daunting, what with all those weird symbols, variables, hyphenation etc. But if you learn the basics, if you really ground yourself in one language, learning others would be easy.

But the first rule about learning how to program: develop a keen interest. Then be committed.

User Interface, or UI, are the various elements of interaction between man and machine. Things like icons, sliders, buttons, login fields, prompts, cursors, dialog boxes, search fields, drop downs, just about any item onscreen and the input paradigms that facilitate your interaction with a given software describes the User Interface. This field is usually the domain of DESIGNERS.

User Experience, or UX, describes the experience or utility of the UI and how it facilitates your enjoyment or efficiency in using the program. Thus, UI and UX are interrelated; good UI design makes the User Experience better, easier, intuitive, and enjoyable. Bad UI design, conversely, detracts from the software and can make a poor experience of using the software.

Examples of bad UI that lead to poor UX: clutter, excess ornamentation, bad color gradients, fuzzy or small text, poor DPI scaling, confusing navigation, etc.

Examples of good UI design principles that enhance UX: minimalism, muted gradients, clear button labels, hints, using tabs instead of deep-linking web pages, highlighting and front-centering key elements.

Google has some of the best UI on the web. On the Gmail page, all you see is the logo, the credentials fields, and some buttons. Their default search site has just the logo, the search box, and a couple of buttons.

Bad UI design include Jumia, almost all Nigerian Government websites, BBC, Nairaland etc.

Since we're on Nairaland let me highlight a few:

1. Same basic design since from 10 years ago when Seun was just starting. NL needs a visual makeover.
2. text formatting (BIU, emojis, superscripts and subscripts, etc) when composing still rely on html conventions, which is archaic and confusing.
3. Most of the interaction on NL is based on texts and quoting same, however replies are neither inline nor indented, making following a conversation tedious with the present quoting system that is time stamp-based rather than thread-based.
4. No way to block stalkers, trolls, and id1ots from needless mentions. No granular control on the content one wishes to see or block based on tags.
5. All the topics are mere hyper-links. Doesnt give a sense of context or content.

Mind you, everything I've mentioned above are my own words based on experience. You might need to research further online for more accurate info.

cheers.

Most attractive, supposedly looking beautiful web sites are d worst (many good web devs have this position). I wonder what "framework" google.com is using - simple design techniques. Back to the basics.
Re: Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience by yutsuf(m): 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2015
thanks guys
Re: Please Help On Userinterface And Userexperience by romme2u: 4:03am On Oct 16, 2015
i have been thinking of giving nairaland a visual makeover for ages undecided undecided.

even design a comp and wireframes but it seems like i am the busiest person on earth with projects without end embarassed embarassed

(1) (Reply)

How To Prevent Uploading Of Adult Images To Your Website Using PHP And Angularjs / Share Instagram Usernames - Follow @thegurudeveloper / Build A Responsive Android App For Your Website, Wp Or Blogger Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.