Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Why Do People Steal? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Do People Steal? (841 Views)

Transformer Vandal Escapes Death After Being Electrocuted While Trying To Steal / Oko Polytechnic Male Student Disguises As Lady To Steal In Female Hostel (Photo) / 7 Reasons Why People Steal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Steal? by theunusualmoon(m): 4:46pm On Oct 09, 2015
Like many Nigerians who are above thirty and do a bit of honest hustling along side their real jobs or own businesses they manage,I have experienced so many challenges and tough times too but there is one thing I find puzzling and that is: unlike many of us who wake up daily and leave our homes in a bid to earn some honest living, some people's mindset is just absolutely opposite.At times, I am forced to believe this people can never change.

In a space of 6 months my pocket was "nicked" twice and my phone was stolen on both occassions.yeah, I felt bad about needing to cough out money for a new phone but what pained me more was my contacts.

I know there are different kind of thieves .some steal in government, churches,buses,parties etc but the one that suprised me most today actually stole my drivers' license. What the hell does he need it for?

Dear nairalanders can you please tell me why some people steal because being hungry or having dificult times is not enough reason to do such a thing.many people also don't have roofs over their heads,clothes on their backs or food in their bellies but they don't resort to stealing; they try as much as possible to do something honourable so why do some people steal? Is it hereditary,a mental disorder or laziness of the highest order?
Re: Why Do People Steal? by permsec: 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2015
EVERYBODY IS A THIEF!

Dont bother quoting me without having a deep thinking towards what i said.
Re: Why Do People Steal? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 09, 2015
permsec:
EVERYBODY IS A THIEF!

Dont bother quoting me without having a deep thinking towards what i said.
I've thought about it deeply but still don't get your meaning. Explain please.
Re: Why Do People Steal? by virud: 2:40pm On Oct 10, 2015
Broadly... I want to believe that the answer falls into two broad categories...

1-Mental / Psychological Factors
For example ...Fear of the unknown..Could be poverty, or any other thing you can think of..

2 - Physical Factors / Environmental Factors
For Example...The believe that everyone around them is also stealing...
Your colleagues are obviously wealthier than you are without any other verifiable sources of income..

NoSource
MyPersonalOpinion
Re: Why Do People Steal? by theunusualmoon(m): 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2015
Your input is quite understandable.
A clear proof of what you just said was displayed by permsec above.
In fact, he is of the opinion that everybody is a thief.

virud:
Broadly... I want to believe that the answer falls into two broad categories...

1-Mental / Psychological Factors
For example ...Fear of the unknown..Could be poverty, or any other thing you can think of..

2 - Physical Factors / Environmental Factors
For Example...The believe that everyone around them is also stealing...
Your colleagues are obviously wealthier than you are without any other verifiable sources of income..

NoSource
MyPersonalOpinion
Re: Why Do People Steal? by virud: 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2015
theunusualmoon:
Your input is quite understandable.
A clear proof of what you just said was displayed by permsec above.
In fact, he is of the opinion that everybody is a thief.

Dont blame him jor... The prevalence rate of stealing in Nigeria will blow your mind if a research would ever be conducted ..
Re: Why Do People Steal? by theunusualmoon(m): 3:24pm On Oct 10, 2015
Yeah! Stealing has gone beyond the word prevalent and that's exactly why I created this thread. A superficial look at it will make you think you have the answer at your finger tip but when you take out time to spell the words you realise it is quite difficult to say why people steal....perhaps, it's just kleptomania and if that is the case then can we say all those who steal,especially in Nigeria,are "kleptos"?

virud:

Dont blame him jor... The prevalence rate of stealing in Nigeria will blow your mind if a research would ever be conducted ..
Re: Why Do People Steal? by virud: 3:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
theunusualmoon:
Yeah! Stealing has gone beyond the word prevalent and that's exactly why I created this thread. A superficial look at it will make you think you have the answer at your finger tip but when you take out time to spell the words you realise it is quite difficult to say why people steal....perhaps, it's just kleptomania and if that is the case then can we say all those who steal,especially in Nigeria,are "kleptos"?

Kleptomania disorder falls into the Mental / Psychological category of my postulation!
Tagging a name 'kleptos', to me, doesn't negate the fact that it is still stealing angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Diezani Alison-madueke Emerges Courtesy Of Ovation Magazine / Landord Kills Tenant In Lagos Because Of Rent / Drama, As Police Disrupts Gay Marriage In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.