Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Why Do We Go To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Go To Church? (774 Views)

RCCG Female Worker Sent Back Home For Wearing This To Church (Photo) / When A Lady Dresses Like This To Church / Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 6:14am On Oct 10, 2015
A more correct way of putting down my question would be: why do we church?
Many of us go to Church because that is what we see Christian do, it is a tradition pass down from generation to generation. Christianity as a religion has so many traditions. We keep doing these things over and over again and look how lifeless it is. Many of us fail to ask the question, 'why do we do this and that? Many are satisfied with it, at least it makes things easier and predictable. My walk with God had made me understand that everything related to God is spiritual, for "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24). If this verse is true then Christianity should be totally spiritual.
So let go back to our question before we wander too far away: why do we church? This question seems to be easy for many christians as they quickly answer "we go to church to worship God." The problem with that answer is that it is totally religious. Talking about spirituality, many may think that religion is spiritual but it is rather carnal. Religion has it root deep in the core of the carnal nature of man. Religion is a tool the devil use in ruling man and everything the devil uses in ruling man is carnal because the carnality of men is where the devil has his power. Every religion goes to their temple to worship their gods and if Christianity is truly spiritual then it should transcend religion, shouldn't it? Therefore the reason we go to church shouldn't be the same reason every religious person goes to their temple. We definitely do not go to church to carry out certain rituals to appease God.
The question still stands, why do we church? To answer the question we must look at the reason the early Christians gathered as a church. Paul said it is mainly for edification of the brethren (1Cor 14:26). But why should we gather to edify ourselves instead of worshipping God?
"to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord," (Eph 3:10-11)
The Bible reveals that God had an eternal purpose, a plan He had conceived before the world was created. And this plan intent that the Church is used to display the wisdom and the glory of God. So we gather around this eternal purpose of God, we gather to fulfill it and bring it to pass. But in order to bring it to pass we must be edified, we much grow to full maturity so that the glory of God might be reflected through us. That is why in describing the Church Paul said:
"And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love." (Eph 4:11-16)
And in another scripture Paul says "That you may have the power and be strong to apprehend and grasp with all the saints [God's devoted people, the experience of that love] what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of it]; [That you may really come] to know [practically, through experience for yourselves] the love of Christ, which far surpasses mere knowledge [without experience]; that you may be filled [through all your being] unto all the fullness of God [may have the richest measure of the divine Presence, and become a body wholly filled and flooded with God Himself]!" (Eph 2:18-19 AMP)
Yet another scriture Paul brought it to the issue of glory by saying "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord" (2Cor 3:18).
One thing that is common in the verses above is togetherness; "that we", "we all" and "with all saints". We are not meant to live the Christian life individually but collectively. Therefore we meet as a Church to edify each other so that we can grow in the glory of God and fulfill God's eternal purpose. Now about worship, the way the spiritual christian or true christianity worship God is different from the worship of the religious people. We worship with our lives, yes the way we live our lives is a worship to God. We do not go to a building to worship God like the religious people of the world. For Christianity has transcended religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by An2elect2(f): 9:52am On Oct 10, 2015
You spoke well but your understanding of religion is lopsided. We have dead religions and true living religion. The latter is anchored on genuine faith in God as we have in James 1:27 " Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Christians are to show compassion to the less privilege and above all keep ourselves undefiled from the corruption of this world(the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life 1John 2:16)

Its easy to think other religions say the same thing. But that's not true. Dead religions are centred on men and they are adhered to with the carnal minds of men who are spiritually undiscerning. Dead religion is not after changing a man, but after his willingness to remain faithful to it irrespective.

How can a man keep himself unspotted from the world? not by being moral only but being spiritual too. Christianity teaches the possibility of living in this world but not for the world. It provides the remedy to the sole problem of man, his wicked heart. If that could change, he will be free from the shackles, worries and vain choices of this world

God accepts the Christian religion
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by An2elect2(f): 9:55am On Oct 10, 2015
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 10, 2015
You are the church. Other humans like yourself are the church,a body that contains Gods. You wanna love God by loving everyone around you unconditionally. In-printed in every every soul is the God DNA. That is why I say I am a God and so are you. God is not in the sky but right there in your body. You wanna go to church? Take a moment and think deeply,meditate and you will be left alone with God in your church.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 10:51am On Oct 10, 2015
ifeness:

You are the church. Other humans like yourself are the church,a body that contains Gods. You wanna love God by loving everyone around you unconditionally. In-printed in every every soul is the God DNA. That is why I say I am a God and so are you. God is not in the sky but right there in your body. You wanna go to church? Take a moment and think deeply,meditate and you will be left alone with God in your church.
The Church is not a person but a collective body of people. And even at that, the Church is still incomplete without her head which is Christ Jesus.
Glorified humanity can not be equated to divinity.
You are not God and you can never be. You are a nobody, a tiny, helpless ant in the sight of the Almighty. So stop this self-exaltation and humble yourself before the King of all creation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 10, 2015
Hiswordxray:
The Church is not a person but a collective body of people. And even at that, the Church is still incomplete without her head which is Christ Jesus.
Glorified humanity can not be equated to divinity.
You are not God and you can never be. You are a nobody, a tiny, helpless ant in the sight of the Almighty. So stop this self-exaltation and humble yourself before the King of all creation.

Maybe Jesus is the head of your church not mine. But tell me, what have you benefited from giving your responsibilities to someone else?

You may be a nobody but I AM THAT I AM. I AM THE CREATOR OF MY REALITY.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 11:06am On Oct 10, 2015
An2elect2:
You spoke well but your understanding of religion is lopsided. We have dead religions and true living religions. The former is anchored on genuine faith in God as we have in James 1:27 " Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Christians are to show compassion to the less privilege and above all keep ourselves undefiled from the corruption of this world(the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life 1John 2:16)

Its easy to think other religions say the same thing. But that's not true. Dead religions are centred on men and they are adhered to with the carnal minds of men who are spiritually undiscerning. Dead religion is not after changing a man, but after his willingness to remain faithful to it irrespective.

How can a man keep himself unspotted from the world? not by being moral only but being spiritual too. Christianity teaches the possibility of living in this world but not for the world. It provides the remedy to the sole problem of man, his wicked heart. If that could change, he will be free from the shackles, worries and vain choices of this world

You are right I was talking about dead religion.
The truth is that when you mention religion the thing that comes to people's mind is what is defined as dead religion because men are spiritually dead and they look at everything from that state of deadness. So I didn't see the need to start differentiating between dead religion and true religion. You are right, there is a pure and true religion, a religion that is of Christ.

Thanks a lot, you've just helped me to understand somethings.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by hahn(m): 11:25am On Oct 10, 2015
An2elect2:

4,000 other religions say the same thing and they all say your religion is the fake one undecided
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 12:08pm On Oct 10, 2015
ifeness:

Maybe Jesus is the head of your church not mine. But tell me, what have you benefited from giving your responsibilities to someone else?

You may be a nobody but I AM THAT I AM. I AM THE CREATOR OF MY REALITY.
It is called humility. It allows you to see yourself the way you really are: just one man in the midst of millions. And to see your weakness and draw strength from the One who has a sufficient grace.
It is only fools that glory in there weaknesses.
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hiswordxray:

It is called humility. It allows you to see yourself the way you really are: just one man in the midst of millions. And to see your weakness and draw strength from the One who has a sufficient grace.
It is only fools that glory in there weaknesses.

Humility doesn't mean you should give your power away. Humility is an act of having respect for other but not turning yourself into a slave.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 1:21pm On Oct 10, 2015
ifeness:

Humility doesn't mean you should give your power away. Humility is an act of having respect for other but not turning yourself into a slave.
And who said anything about giving your power away? I said acknowledging your weakness.
pride and arrogance had blinded you. It has stop you from see how weak you are, making you feel that you are stronger than you really are. But the truth is that you are nothing.
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hiswordxray:

And who said anything about giving your power away? I said acknowledging your weakness.
pride and arrogance had blinded you. It has stop you from see how weak you are, making you feel that you are stronger than you really are. But the truth is that you are nothing.

Who told you I am not as strong as I actually am? Simply because I do not bow to anyone? If you choose to be a slave to religion it is your choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 2:21pm On Oct 10, 2015
ifeness:

Who told you I am not as strong as I actually am? Simply because I do not bow to anyone? If you choose to be a slave to religion it is your choice.
You call yourself God but you are not as strong as God. You don't have any super power and you would dead one day just like every other mortals.
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hiswordxray:
You call yourself God but you are not as strong as God. You don't have any super power and you would dead one day just like every other mortals.

I am a God. My world is an evidence of my super power. Do you have evidence of the god you claim is yours? What can your god do?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by An2elect2(f): 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2015
Hiswordxray:

The truth is that when you mention religion the thing that comes to people's mind is what is defined as dead religion because men are spiritually dead and they look at everything from that state of deadness. So I didn't see the need to start differentiating between dead religion and true religion. You are right, there is a pure and true religion, a religion that is of Christ.

You are very welcome sir. All glory to God
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 6:13am On Oct 11, 2015
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 11, 2015
An2elect2:
You spoke well but your understanding of religion is lopsided. We have dead religions and true living religion. The latter is anchored on genuine faith in God as we have in James 1:27 " Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

"" Christianity teaches the possibility of living in this world but not for the world""

Nigerian pastors live for the world.
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 11, 2015
An2elect2:

Now you just sound like a doctrinated fool. Christianity has nothing to do with Christ and has nothing to do with Christianity the same way Christ has nothing to do with Christmas.

You will never knows the joy of the Apostles if continue in this way
Re: Why Do We Go To Church? by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 11, 2015
Hiswordxray:

Don't be deceived brother by doctrines

Christ don't have a religion, he found a church not a religion on the basic of Faith.

Christianity is not of God.

(1) (Reply)

Chris Oyakhilome’s Estranged Wife Anita Writes Again! / Sin Against The Holy Spirit / Nigerians And Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.