Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,675 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) (55720 Views)

My Experience About Snail Farming, Pictures, Etc / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Agricultural Science Graduate: What Do You Know About Planting TOMATO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by pillarmaria(m): 5:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
I am here to learn
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Opistorincos(m): 5:04pm On Mar 14, 2016
drnelson:
[size=38pt]I go chop your tomato ooo[/size]

u too like chop

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by ilubarde: 5:11pm On Mar 14, 2016
Well done, crystalf.
I salute your courage and determination.
I know how difficult it is for the youth from the southern states of Nigeria to take to farming, especially vegetables.
This is because of the usual peer pressure that interprets farming as only for the aged, the uneducated and the poor.
But, all these stereotypes are untrue. It is 'easy' money from oil that brought on that mindset. Beside, farming could be
lucrative if done with the benefit of knowledge.

I am a greenhouse vegetables producer in Jos
We produce beef tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, lebanese cucumbers, squashes, cabbages (chinese, english, etc.) sweet bell peppers (red, green, white, purple, yellow) and many other vegetables. We also produce herbs and spices like coriander, thyme, rosemary, etc.

So, my brother, do not give up!!!

I will be available to offer you free advice not only on growing but also in terms of storage, transportation and marketing

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
This is a good one, with a well for irrigation, that's wonderful. Now I suggest that for you to enjoy your all year round cultivation, you'll need very good fertilizers( organic manure like animal droppings will be very essential). If you can afford the regular ones why not go for it? Now as for irrigation, I suggest if you can afford it, erect water tanks at strategic points on the farm from where pipes can go into your cultivation plots, that way you can irrigate your farm effortlessly. I wish you the very best. cheers

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by kayusray: 5:41pm On Mar 14, 2016
Am interested in tomato farming and am really following the discussion
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by 52Naira(m): 5:41pm On Mar 14, 2016
crystalf:
Most of the tomato has started flowering.
how did you handle weeds ...sir?
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Ralphdan(m): 5:52pm On Mar 14, 2016
Please i want to buy a 10 acres of land where i will grow only Indian hemp.How do i go about it sir?

7 Likes

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Itydee(m): 6:08pm On Mar 14, 2016
Im interested I have 10acres in port Harcourt. Will it work?
Clearing with manual bush burning and with caterpillar which one is better and more economical?

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Adex001(m): 6:45pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ralphdan:
Please i want to buy a 10 acres of land where i will grow only Indian hemp.How do i go about it sir?
o l o o o s h i... grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by ilubarde: 6:47pm On Mar 14, 2016
10 acres roughly equals 4 hectares. That is a huge land for vegetables production and not just tomatoes. Just ensure that the land is well drained and not water-logged. Bush burning or caterpillar clearing? Either has its benefits and challenges. Local peculiarities preclude evaluation of cost. But, caterpillar clearing compacts the land while bush burning burns the top soil nutrients. In the end, it is your choice as you can always amend the soil to give you your desired nutrient levels

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by lordhugo(m): 7:00pm On Mar 14, 2016
Nice one op.

I am currently intercropping Roma tomatoes, and kale/cabbage in a 2acre free range snail farm at the moment in ABK.

The brassicas (cabbage and kale) would utilize the nitrogen in the soil for their leaf productions... Leaving the potassium for tomato fruit production.

More yields, less space.
I BELIEVE WE COULD SHARE IDEAS.

2 Likes

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by GreatManBee: 7:04pm On Mar 14, 2016
gmcln:
You must Prune your tomato for better yields.
see how to link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekvuwwneUxs
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 14, 2016
@OP decits from telling people on nairaland were your farm is located knowing nigerians they might go and uproot and thief all your tomatoes/plants grin grin nigerians will steal anything even tomato plant grin
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by AchaMbu: 8:30pm On Mar 14, 2016
[quote author=crystalf post=38851943]I did not set out to plant tomato at the beginning. My plan was to plant palm trees and plantain together. But got my fingers burnt through the supplier of the palm(story for another thread)

I got 6.5 acres my friend also joined me with 10 acres totalling 16.5 acres. With plan to plant tomato all year round.

We have started and will be sharing my experience here.

I quote jethro2

don't go into farming if you can't invest your time it's not about money

Farming is not a get rich quick syndrome, it's hard work that pays
Agriculture is all about organic growth anyone that thinks throwing millions will result to billions rewards is wasting his or her time. I like the path you have taken. Surely you shall be rewarded! Best of luck bro!
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ralphdan:

Igbo dey make people crase o!! angry undecided

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by lordhugo(m): 8:44pm On Mar 14, 2016
gypsey:
@OP decits from telling people on nairaland were your farm is located knowing nigerians they might go and uproot and thief all your tomatoes/plants grin grin nigerians will steal anything even tomato plant grin

"DECITS" from lying against Nigerians. cry

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 14, 2016
lordhugo:

"DECITS" from lying against Nigerians. cry
if you like write it in double capital letters it won't change the fact that i am right about nigerians grin

1 Like

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by knostbrown01(m): 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2016
agricentral:

Am also in the South West, Osogbo to be precise.
are you into farming, i'm an intending farmer, based in osogbo. do u knw how I can get land?
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Moyanbe(m): 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2016
Which area in abeokuta, I would love to visit your farm. Am also a plantain farmer and plantain farm manager
www.farmlifeng.com
lordhugo:
Nice one op.

I am currently intercropping Roma tomatoes, and kale/cabbage in a 2acre free range snail farm at the moment in ABK.

The brassicas (cabbage and kale) would utilize the nitrogen in the soil for their leaf productions... Leaving the potassium for tomato fruit production.

More yields, less space.
I BELIEVE WE COULD SHARE IDEAS.
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 15, 2016
Keep it up OP your brain is functioning well! I wish you all the best..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by babamajor: 1:07am On Mar 15, 2016
God wil see u through d lazy ones are still waiting for 5k frm d govt ND critizing everybody on social media without knowing that its their life ND time they are wasting.
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by Tosineb: 5:16am On Mar 15, 2016
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by otokx(m): 6:50am On Mar 15, 2016
Nice thread
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by obagoriola: 7:03am On Mar 15, 2016
Tosineb:
nice
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by MukaboxNG: 9:14am On Mar 15, 2016
This is great and encouraging, I am also in abeokuta and I have been thinking of going into ferming as well, how I wish I could visit your farm.
Re: Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) by jayyjayy1(m): 9:53am On Mar 15, 2016
pls can u add me 2 ur Whatsapp - 08069045033 am interested in tomato plantation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Snail And Vegetable Backyard Garden / Big Python Killed In Our Farm Swallowed 2 Turkeys (Pictured) / My Trap Caught A Big Bush Rat (video/pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.