Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,478 members, 7,819,740 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Google Acquires Youtube - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Google Acquires Youtube (3345 Views)

Heritage Bank Acquires Enterprise Bank / Oando Acquires Conocophillips For $1.5 Billion / AMCON Acquires N275b Bad Loans Of Zenon Oil, Geometric Power, Seawolf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Acquires Youtube by mochafella(m): 8:58pm On Oct 16, 2006
kazey:

Most VCs funded organisations are in, for a quick flip, and Google is a VC funded organization, and their business model is clearly visible for the world to see.

Last I heard Goog was a public listed company. Don't think that counts as VC any more. undecided
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Christino(m): 11:17pm On Oct 16, 2006
Seun:

Nairaland is not as popular as either Google Video or Youtube, yet it is profitable. Youtube has more traffic than G.Video, but without an income stream this traffic is nothing but a laibility. Despite Google Video's relative unpopularity, it could have been profitable if there was a plan to that effect. Their inability to make Google Video profitable means that with the acquisition of Youtube they'll be losing even more money than they were losing before.

Do you mean Yahoo's initial offer of $1bn was too much? Youtube (13 million faithful registered  owns 70% of the internet video scene and Google, planning to take over the internet business in all fields have already won that race. Myspace, MSN and Yahoo are the others, we can then talk of Real, Videocodezone and metacafe.

Like Microsoft acquired Visio, Google are already on the forefront of a business Yahoo and Microsoft are struggling in.
That's more publicity and if i'm right more exposure for adwords grin

Chan, a principal partner of YouTube is now the CTO of Google's, and the world's biggest internet Video Market. DOn't be surprised Google will launch GoogleTV on that platform. These guys are made and certified enterpreneurs and not "flukes" so I trust them.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by NSNA: 6:56am On Oct 17, 2006
i guess what you guys should do is to wait and see how google will take over the internet world.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by kazey(m): 3:35pm On Oct 17, 2006
Google is privately held and venture funded by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sequoia Capital. Other investors include Stanford University; Andy Bechtolsheim, co-founder of Sun Microsystems and current Vice President at Cisco Systems; and Ram Shriram, former President of Junglee and current Vice President of Business Development at Amazon.com.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by mochafella(m): 10:44pm On Oct 17, 2006
kazey:

Google is privately held and venture funded by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sequoia Capital. Other investors include Stanford University; Andy Bechtolsheim, co-founder of Sun Microsystems and current Vice President at Cisco Systems; and Ram Shriram, former President of Junglee and current Vice President of Business Development at Amazon.com.

Erm, how does a publicly listed company remain privately held? The fact that some stockholders may retain large percentages as a result of their previous association with a firm does not make it privately held. I'm sure you heard about Google's IPO in 04. If so much as 1 share is publicly traded the company ceases to be privately held. And why would Google suddenly start making SEC filings if they were not publicly listed?

Google's Major Holders
Forbes on Private and Public companies.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by kazey(m): 5:14am On Oct 18, 2006
Not literally it is publicly owned currently alright, but the initial investors have the major control, say, hence literally own it and going public does not change their power or position. And who has the most control? VCs?

http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease1.html

During the dot-com bubble of the late 1990s, many venture capital driven companies were started, and seeking to cash in on the bull market, quickly offered IPOs. Usually, stock price spiraled upwards as soon as a company went public, as investors sought to get in at the ground-level of the next potential Microsoft and Netscape.

Initial founders could often become overnight millionaires, and due to generous stock options, employees could make a great deal of money as well. The majority of IPOs could be found on the Nasdaq stock exchange, which is laden with companies related to computer and information technology.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by mochafella(m): 7:06pm On Oct 18, 2006
kazey:

Not literally it is publicly owned currently alright, but the initial investors have the major control, say, hence literally own it and going public does not change their power or position. And who has the most control? VCs?

http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease1.html
That comment doesn't make any sense, remember you did say Goog was privately held. Are you saying a company can be privately and publicly held? That would be a first.

Besides that press release is from 1999(7 years old). Goog had an IPO in 2004 in case you forgot and makes regular SEC "forced" filings which are more up-to-date. Further discussion on this is really unnecessary.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by OldGlory1(m): 8:18pm On Oct 20, 2006
Google stock is up today by $30 after profit rose by 92%. All you Naysayers out there, please buy Google stock today and make some money!! Ticker symbol:Goog on the Nasdaq. Selling for $453per share. Buying Youtube has been a great idea for investors after all.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Christino(m): 8:23pm On Oct 20, 2006
I hope that will convince the negative minded people, they've started making the money in weeks!
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by onyek: 12:17am On Oct 21, 2006
I want to see when we have a nigerian youtube being sold for billons of dollars,

grin
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by bioye(m): 4:32pm On Nov 25, 2006
Seun:

Nairaland is not as popular as either Google Video or Youtube, yet it is profitable. Youtube has more traffic than G.Video, but without an income stream this traffic is nothing but a laibility. Despite Google Video's relative unpopularity, it could have been profitable if there was a plan to that effect. Their inability to make Google Video profitable means that with the acquisition of Youtube they'll be losing even more money than they were losing before.

Men, that post is so funny, I forgot how to laugh.

What's time magazine's invention of the year? http://www.time.com/time/2006/techguide/bestinventions/inventions/youtube.html
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Christino(m): 1:00am On Nov 26, 2006
Wow, that's some great revelation. a 2 year old idea turned into action can amount to 200 billion naira, Yahoo! boys, where u guys @?
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by Seun(m): 10:39am On Nov 26, 2006
bioye:

Men, that post is so funny, I forgot how to laugh.

What's time magazine's invention of the year? http://www.time.com/time/2006/techguide/bestinventions/inventions/youtube.html

Where were you during the dot-com bubble? Lots of companies that got into the press are no more.
Re: Google Acquires Youtube by bioye(m): 1:29pm On Nov 26, 2006
Seun, did you read the articles. There are enough pointers to how they're and will be making money there.

Yeah, I know about the dot com boom but not only did google survive it, they are one of biggest online companies in the world.

Naahh, I don't think they are making a mistake.

(1) (2) (Reply)

AMAZING FACT: Top 10 Famous Logos With Hidden Meaning! / Manufacturers Spent N129.95bn On Independent Power In 2016 – Report / Where Can I Buy Fantastic Suits In Port Harcourt For My Presentation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.