Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,265 members, 7,860,615 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:19 PM

Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? (656 Views)

The Secret And Formula To Succeed In Nigeria Music Industry / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry? / 7 Untold Truths About The Nigerian Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by macquis(m): 10:01am On Oct 11, 2015
Etcetera has to say... “Shokihey hey Shoki!” cries a voice from the radio to the beat of a nerve-wracking pandemonium that seems designed to drive you insane. Even Fashola does the Shoki dance! A quick flick of the dial and “Shakiti bobo” is playing. The worse thing is that the raucous noise emitted by the artiste is no match for the loud, odious din coming from the beat. The lyrics are completely lost – which may not be regrettable to some – but the whole tumult sounds more like bad static than music. I tuned the dial again. This time it wasOlamidescreaming “VANESSA VANESSA.” As the last strains of the song died away, the OAP cheerfully and enthusiastically breaks in, “Yes, that’s for all you listeners out there. That’s the way we do it right here at your cool station. We personalise our playlist to make you feel cool.” Cool kor, cooler ni…. I felt like telling the OAP that his choice of songs made me feel SICK. This is simply today’s Nigerian music! Something is terribly WRONG with it! Yet millions around the country – especially the young people – listen to it by the hour. WHY? What is there about this music that is so gripping? How can something so meaningless hold millions under its spell? Why does it serve as a common denominator – as “the tie that binds” – for so many youths? Judging from how and what they’re saying and singing, it is easy to conclude that some of these artistes should be taken for mental evaluation! Music mirrors our emotions; it reflects our thoughts; it echoes our activities – it shows us the way we really ARE! Most Nigerian artistes are confused and bewildered – or they wouldn’t sing songs about not being able to tell right from wrong, or songs which purposely don’t say or mean anything, or which try only to “embody an emotional state that points indirectly to marijuana and crazy sex positions.” Music – just like other forms of art – is like a social barometer. A strong and healthy society produces dynamic and stimulating music; a diseased and decaying society produces sick and decadent music. It’s a simple matter of cause and effect! This is now a SICK SOCIETY and, therefore, it produces SICK MUSIC. It’s just that simple! Both parents and the young people are to blame. My point is, we all don’t have to be a part of this sick society – or its sick music. Even talking about today’s gospel songs, many are lacking in purpose and quality. The gospel singers are forgetting that God believes in QUALITY. Look at the universe He created! He also believes in human improvement and GROWTH. “Become ye therefore perfect” (Matt. 5:48) and “Grow in grace and knowledge” (II Pet. 3:18), He commands. God wants His people to grow in the right kind of culture – the right kind of appreciation for the finer things in life. He says that mature Christians are “those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to DISCERN both good and evil” (Heb. 5:14). God wants us to EXERCISE our five physical senses. He wants us to learn what the true values for the enjoyment of the senses are. One of these senses is hearing. And one of the ways we need to exercise our hearing sense is in the appreciation of quality music. Quality in music involves, first of all, the way it is composed or arranged. Secondly, it involves how the music is performed. And thirdly, the setting (the place and occasion) in which the music is heard. You attend a concert only to see artistes with a hodgepodge of idiotic noise played from a CD and the audience seated at round tables like they are in a canteen, screaming with mouthful of small chops and ‘samosas’ as every new song is introduced by the performer. What utter nonsense! What is WRONG with us? How did we completely lose our sense of value regarding music? Do we even know the purpose of music? A mother justifies her daughter who’s listening to an obscene song by saying, “If you listen to the words of that one, it’s pretty rough. But it has a real good beat. My daughter says she doesn’t pay any attention to the words anyway.” Are we really that naïve? What erroneous reasoning! Go along with the crowd – even if the crowd is on the way to suffering, misery, pain, extinction? Do we think that these songs have no part in the tidal wave of promiscuity, venereal disease, illegitimate babies that are all over the country today? If you are one of those who like today’sNaija music, you ought to honestly and truthfully ask yourself WHY.
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by Awesomeking: 10:20am On Oct 11, 2015
Its the problem of the public,i cant blame the artist that much,if the public refuse to listen and praise such songs,they wont be in the limelight,i am a songwriter and a lyricist and i quickly noticed that i had to adjust in order to stay relevant,people want loud music that they can dance to at certain times and also good songs that pass a good message at other times,its just the duty of the songwriter and artist to know what type of song should be released at a certain time

to hire a songwriter or lyricist,send me an email songwriterkadiri@yahoo.com
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by yanabasee(m): 10:35am On Oct 11, 2015
The thing is that... Nigeria will not imitate the good things from America But will imitate what isn't relevant from them...

In America, their music industry have made known that only registered producers can produced artists. Any music from unknown producer can never be allowed to make the wave.

In Nigeria here. I have one guy who is producing streeties and they sing rubbish. Such songs have been uploaded into the internet. And they will share the links across for internet promotion. And many locally made DJs on naijaloaded will be pleading with people to share their tracks to be featured on a mixtape. This is just how they trend silly musics that will make people grip and trip and spread the indecent musical slangs used by local artist yawning for fame.

Ojuelegba is one music that wizkid had sang that is really going far and this music is nice. Wizkid and Tubaba are artist that sing music and you can drag meaning from their musics. Although not all Wizkid tracks, the likes of this tracks "Mumy mi", "Joy", etc
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by macquis(m): 10:38am On Oct 11, 2015
It is only in Nigeria Paul feyerabends philosophy of "anything goes is adopted". To tell yall the truth am sick and tired of putting on my radio only to hear crap music issuing out of my speakers. Nigerian music is sick and rotten, and we the youths are the only ones to able administer the proper medications to revive good music in Nigeria. Our artistes must wake up to their responsibilities and stop producing meaningless songs.
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by Mosjentle(m): 11:25am On Oct 11, 2015
Judging from the lookof things these days... The common audience wants these kind of music..As a musician,you have to satisfy them to stay relevant like the dude above me said#..I am a producer/artiste.Most time when I produce for people I keep it in mind tha the current state of music here requires a slang tha you can remember easily..its not s'pposed to be so...There are cool songs tha speak wise words and satisfaction but how many love those songs today? One in Hundreds of Thousands...let's just hope the wind blows a different tune...#Rhythmz on tha beat
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by macquis(m): 11:38am On Oct 11, 2015
Mosjentle:
Judging from the lookof things these days... The common audience wants these kind of music..As a musician,you have to satisfy them to stay relevant like the dude above me said#..I am a producer/artiste.Most time when I produce for people I keep it in mind tha the current state of music here requires a slang tha you can remember easily..its not s'pposed to be so...There are cool songs tha speak wise words and satisfaction but how many love those songs today? One in Hundreds of Thousands...let's just hope the wind blows a different tune...#Rhythmz on tha beat

Rhythms are u based in Lagos ? Cuz its likely I'd b doing a recording very soon. I need a good producer, one who's knowledgeable musically and is also good with the instruments.
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by Mosjentle(m): 1:33pm On Oct 11, 2015
macquis:

Rhythms are u based in Lagos ? Cuz its likely I'd b doing a recording very soon. I need a good producer, one who's knowledgeable musically and is also good with the instruments.
unfortunately I'm not right now##
Re: Where Is Our Music Industry Headed To ? by MrTeymee(m): 5:58pm On Oct 11, 2015
I'm tired of seeing threads like this condemning our music industry... We love this so called noise, we patronize this noise... artistes just follow what's selling out there and right now its noise.. pheelz just did a dope song titled hustle and I can assure u it won't gain massive attention because it ain't noise.. we are just being hypocritical.. we patronize d noise and then come here to condemn it... meanwhile meaningful songs are out there by Nigerian artistes buh we refuse to download em

(1) (Reply)

Olamide: Pop Star Accused Of Copyright Theft / Dear Up And Coming Musicians,you Will Definetely Love These Free Beats. / [Music] Olamide ft wale_Abule sowo(Remix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.