Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria (1276 Views)

Females Entering Ugandan Stadium Were Searched And Checked Like This / 'Muslims To Be Stopped From Entering US'- Donald Trump / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by sleekp1: 2:20am On Apr 26, 2009
My cousin arrived Lagos tonight and while chating with him I found out Yanks and Mexicans are still allowed into Naija willynilly. Most countries of the world like Japan are stopping and quarantining any one arriving from Mexico and the US. Our govt is always slow to react to events, I mean what is the FG waiting for?  Is it not time we ban these swines. If this had happened in Nigeria they woulda banned us, isn't it.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N23355101.htm
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 10:48am On Apr 26, 2009
Well you can't exactly ban people like that. What we can do is instead quarantine them if needed, but since we lack the capacity to do this, it would be better to suspend VISA temporarily till the out break is curtailed if we are that concerned.

Finally, I think it is wrong that you see the need to refer to people as swines. smiley
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 10:49am On Apr 26, 2009
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by tpiah: 2:26pm On Apr 26, 2009
Today's news:

cases found in New York.

that was fast- yesterday they said Texas, today it's jumped to New York.

lord have mercy.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 2:30pm On Apr 26, 2009
tpiah:

Today's news:

cases found in New York.

lord have mercy.

Air travel!

It just goes to show how much rate people move in between countries. A test in the UK already proved positive in one person.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Horus(m): 4:17pm On Apr 26, 2009
New Zealand has declared a health emergency after 10 sick school pupils were founds to be 'highly likely' to have contracted the Mexican human swine flu virus. The students are among a party of 22, along with three teachers, who are being kept in isolation after returning from a three-week educational trip to Mexico.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5224469/New-Zealand-students-highly-likely-to-have-contracted-swine-flu-virus.html
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by sleekp1: 7:32pm On Apr 26, 2009
ElRazur:

Well you can't exactly ban people like that. What we can do is instead quarantine them if needed, but since we lack the capacity to do this, it would be better to suspend VISA temporarily till the out break is curtailed if we are that concerned.

Finally, I think it is wrong that you see the need to refer to people as swines. smiley

If you only suspend visa, people with Nigerian passport will still pass through hence the purpose is defeated. Stop anyone arriving from Mexico and the US, and you're half way from halting the spread.

tpiah:

Today's news:

cases found in New York.

lord have mercy.

The difference between us and them is, they use their resources well and can curtail it.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Horus(m): 8:11pm On Apr 26, 2009
I dont see any news concerning precautionary steps being taken to stop the virus enter in Nigeria.
This mean that the virus can enter in Nigeria at anytime. shocked
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 26, 2009
Horus:

I dont see any news concerning precautionary steps being taken to stop the virus enter in Nigeria.

Do we care? grin Our president is sick so why bother about swine flu . . . afterall its not like we've successfully eradicated ordinary malaria or polio.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by tpiah: 9:56pm On Apr 26, 2009
Horus:

New Zealand has declared a health emergency after 10 sick school pupils were founds to be 'highly likely' to have contracted the Mexican human swine flu virus. The students are among a party of 22, along with three teachers, who are being kept in isolation after returning from a three-week educational trip to Mexico.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5224469/New-Zealand-students-highly-likely-to-have-contracted-swine-flu-virus.html

na wa oh.

Horus:

its airborne so what precautionary measures can anyone take besides restricting immigration from Mexico? And how many Mexicans come to Nigeria anyway?
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Horus(m): 8:51am On Apr 27, 2009
tpiah:

its airborne so what precautionary measures can anyone take besides restricting immigration from Mexico? And how many Mexicans come to Nigeria anyway?

The virus is now also in the USA where there is Nigerians!!
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 8:54am On Apr 27, 2009
Topic

Do you think they give a flying fuc.k?! grin
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by tpiah: 1:44pm On Apr 27, 2009
undecided
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by vwvw(m): 4:08pm On Apr 27, 2009
grin guy relax. the spanish flu in 1918 killed 50 million people and affected half the world's population. this one scientists expect to equal that. in the end the h1n1 flu could go round the world more than enough for the entire world to share brekete and remain boku without the yanks and americans cominig over. i advise our sharp igbo brovas to go china kia kia and charter containers of masks
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by SeanT21(f): 5:26pm On Apr 27, 2009
vwvw:

grin guy relax. the spanish flu in 1918 killed 50 million people and affected half the world's population. this one scientists expect to equal that. in the end the h1n1 flu could go round the world more than enough for the entire world to share brekete and remain boku without the yanks and americans cominig over. i advise our sharp igbo brovas to go china kia kia and charter containers of masks

hehe wink

@topic

People are taking this flu thing 2 serious. Obama already said its not serious. Everyone relax!!
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 5:27pm On Apr 27, 2009
SeanT21:

hehe wink

@topic

People are taking this flu thing 2 serious. Obama already said its not serious. Everyone relax!!

Okay I will relax simply because Obama said so! undecided
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by debosky(m): 5:29pm On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

grin grin grin Hero worship gone mad. cheesy

Ban the bloody yankees! cheesy
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by SeanT21(f): 5:34pm On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

The US media always try to scare people. They did it with the Gas shortage.They kept on saying the US was running out of Gas leaving thousands afraid. They are doing the same thing with the FLU. Its not that serious.

debosky:

grin grin grin Hero worship gone mad. cheesy

Ban the bloody yankees! cheesy

cry
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 5:45pm On Apr 27, 2009
SeanT21:

The US media always try to scare people. They did it with the Gas shortage.They kept on saying the US was running out of Gas leaving thousands afraid. They are doing the same thing with the FLU. Its not that serious.

Bad news sells news. Bad news means sales of certain things goes up etc. Do not believe everything you hear in the media. However the Flu thing is very real.

Here, read what I posted in here.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-266080.0.html
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by vwvw(m): 6:44pm On Apr 27, 2009
since hiv is isnt killing fast enough they've devised a enough. these macabre monsters. u know the road to heaven is paved with bad intentions
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 6:51pm On Apr 27, 2009
vwvw:

since hiv is isnt killing fast enough they've devised a enough. these macabre monsters. u know the road to heaven is paved with bad intentions

Please tell me you are joking. undecided
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by SeanT21(f): 6:55pm On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

Bad news sells news. Bad news means sales of certain things goes up etc. Do not believe everything you hear in the media. However the Flu thing is very real.

Here, read what I posted in here.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-266080.0.html

wink

vwvw:

ROTFLMAO!!
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by 4Play(m): 7:35pm On Apr 27, 2009
My biggest fear is the potential impact if, in a worst case scenario, the flu takes off in Africa. I think we should ban all travel between the West and Nigeria. grin
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Horus(m): 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2009
Cases are also confirmed in Canada, the US and Spain. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the US - which has 40 confirmed cases - was taking the issue "very seriously". World Health Organization (WHO) experts are meeting to consider raising the global pandemic alert level. The UN has warned that the virus has the potential to become a pandemic. But it says the world is better prepared than ever to deal with the threat.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8020676.stm
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 9:02pm On Apr 27, 2009
Horus:

Cases are also confirmed in Canada, the US and Spain. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the US - which has 40 confirmed cases - was taking the issue "very seriously". World Health Organization (WHO) experts are meeting to consider raising the global pandemic alert level. The UN has warned that the virus has the potential to become a pandemic. But it says the world is better prepared than ever to deal with the threat.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8020676.stm

grin They should, Mexico is up the road from them.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by tpiah: 9:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
I wouldnt be surprised if the flu has already reached Nigeria.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by ElRazur: 9:29pm On Apr 27, 2009
tpiah:

I wouldnt be surprised if the flu has already reached Nigeria.
The doctor would probably diagnose it as Malaria or Typhoid. grin So we may never know.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Horus(m): 10:25pm On Apr 27, 2009
Pandemic fear as swine flu reaches UK

The world moved closer towards a swine flu pandemic tonight after the World Health Organisation raised the threat level posed by the disease and the first cases emerged in Britain.

The WHO raised its assessment one notch to an unprecedented level 4 outbreak, two below officially categorising an outbreak as a pandemic.

The move came a few hours after Britain confirmed two people being treated in a Scottish hospital were carrying the new strain of swine influenza virus that is spreading across the world from Mexico.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6182057.ece
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by sleekp1: 12:01am On Apr 28, 2009
Yes the Swine flu has arrived in Britain, 2 reported cases in Scotland. I went to work today and refused to shake any one's hand, I think I won't be going to any crowded places including church for the foreseeable future.
Re: Swine Flu: Time To Stop Yanks & Mexicans From Entering Nigeria by Horus(m): 10:10am On Apr 29, 2009
[size=15pt]Obama's swine flu scare after shaking hands with archaeologist who died a week later[/size]

28th April 2009

A man who shook Barack Obama's hand in Mexico died the next week from symptoms similar to those of swine flu.
The White House insisted the President's health was not in any danger, but he was said to be taking the threat of an epidemic 'very seriously'. The President's health advisers were already concerned about his visit south of the border after learning the contagious virus first struck in Mexico City on April 13 - three days before Mr Obama flew in to meet government officials.Their alarm grew after learning that Felipe Solis, director of the National Anthropology Museum, had died from pneumonia.

Archaeologist Felipe Solis, who took President Obama on a tour of
the National Anthropology Museum on April 16. A week later he died.

Health fears: American President Barack Obama shook hands with
Felipe Solis, who died the following day from flu-like symptoms

Mr Solis had taken Mr Obama on a tour of the museum on April 16, a week before his death. Mexican health boss Jose Cordova, however, said Mr Solis was already ill and his death was unrelated to swine flu. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs insisted: ‘The president’s trip to Mexico has not put his health in any danger.’ He added: ‘The incubation period is 24 to 48 hours and we have been back from Mexico for nine days now. The doctors say he was not at risk.’ Mr Obama was in Mexico for less than a day before heading to a ‘Summit of the Americas’ in Trinidad and Tobago.

President Obama with Mexico's President Felipe Calderon two weeks ago

Mr Obama took some flak for playing golf on Sunday, but Mr Gibbs said he was being updated regularly on the outbreak by the State Department and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention.The virus is said to have infected twelve people in Kansas, California, Ohio and Texas and sickened at least another eight students in New York.Speaking at a White House briefing last night, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said a ‘stockpile’ of anti-viral drugs was being released to help keep the disease at bay. Announcing a state of emergency, she said border security would be increased with visitors being quizzed over possible swine flu symptoms.‘The president is very concerned about the recent cases of swine flu,’ added presidential assistant John Brennan.He said Mr Obama was offering his ‘full support’ to Mexico efforts to control the disease.‘The U.S. government is working to ‘mitigate a broader outbreak in the United States.’ Dr Richard Besser, acting director of the Centre for Disease Control, urged Americans to improve hygiene by washing hands more regularly and staying at home if they fell sick."We expect to see more cases of swine flu,’ he said, adding that work was under way to identify and produce a vaccine. Of the U.S. swine flu patients, only one needed hospital treatment and none of those infected were seriously ill.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1173672/Obamas-swine-flu-scare-shaking-hands-archaeologist-died-week-later.html

(1) (Reply)

Chasing The Dragon: Comparing India And China / Barack Obama’s $7 Million Hawaii Vacation Is An Insult To America’s Struggling / Meet The First Lady And First Lady Of Iceland: Johanna And Jonina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.