Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,632 members, 7,827,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! (1390 Views)

Forget BRICS, Kenya among Top 7 Best Emerging Economies In The World / Incredible Amount Of Gun And Cash Discovered At A Drug Lord's Home (pics) / Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by PapaBrowne(m): 3:54pm On Apr 26, 2009
Just about the time the world is trying to recover from the global economic downturn, a brand new threat, much worse than the global recession, is emerging!
The Swine Flu Virus is on rampage in Mexico and seems to have potential to spread pretty rapid. Cases have been reported in US, New Zealand and a few other countries are watching some patients closely. 81 people have died already.

This seems like a pretty bad virus as it has strains of Human, Swine and Bird Flu Virus all jam packed in one Virus. International Health bodies like World Health Organization, US Center for Disease Control and a host of others are worried scared of its potential for spread.

My question is this: Why is it that just about the time when the world is recovering from the economic downturn, the Virus appears from no where. This is some scary stuff man!
I don't know if governments worldwide are ready for this triple threat of global terrorism, global economic recession,  and a potential global pandemic like the Swine flu virus.

I don't even want to think of Nigeria/Africa's ability to handle such a pandemic. This is really some scary shit!

(CNN) -- Mexican officials are asking citizens to avoid large crowds, refrain from kissing as a greeting and maintain a distance of at least 1.8 meters (six feet) from each other amid growing concern in the country and elsewhere over new cases of suspected and confirmed swine flu infection.

By Sunday, 81 deaths had been deemed "likely linked" to a deadly new strain of the virus by health authorities in Mexico. Viral testing has confirmed 20 cases, said Dr. Jose A. Cordova Villalobos, Mexico's health secretary. In the United States, the number of confirmed swine flu cases stood at 11.

In New Zealand, officials said 22 students and three teachers, who returned from a three-week-long language trip to Mexico, may have been infected with the virus.

The 25 students and teachers at Auckland's Rangitoto College returned to New Zealand via Los Angeles on Saturday.

Fourteen have shown flu-like symptoms, with four "more unwell than others," said Dr. Julia Peters, clinical director of Auckland Regional Public Health Service.

Health Minister Tony Ryall said 10 students tested positive for influenza A. The specimens will be sent to WHO to determine whether it is H1N1 swine influenza. H1N1 influenza is a subset of influenza A.

The WHO results are expected back by midweek. The group remains quarantined at home.

"It's certainly has not been confirmed that they have swine flu," said Dr. Craig Thornley, medical officer of health in influenza. "We already have provisional information that some of the group have influenza A. We won't know if they have the type of influenza A that is swine flu."

In England, authorities stressed that a crew member who developed flu-like symptoms during a flight from Mexico City to Heathrow did not test positive for swine flu.

"I can confirm that the patient doesn't have swine flu," said Jonathan Street, a spokesman for Northwick Park Hospital in London.

"We have done all test, and they all came back negative."

In Israel, doctors are running tests on a man who recently returned from Mexico with light flu symptoms.

U.S. health officials said Friday that some cases of the virus in the United States matched samples of the deadly Mexican virus. All the patients have recovered or are expected to.

The panic over the virus prompted Canada to issue a travel health notice, saying the public health agency was "tracking clusters of severe respiratory illness with deaths in Mexico."  Watch CBC report on Canadian microbiologists' concerns »

South Korea said it will test airline passengers arriving from the United States. And Japan will convene a Cabinet meeting Monday to come up with measures to block the entry of the virus into the country.

The United States had not issued any travel warnings or quarantines.

But US Airways said Saturday night it would allow passengers to change plans if they wanted to because of the outbreak.

Gregory Hartl, of the World Health Organization, said the strain of the virus seen in Mexico is worrisome because it has mutated from older strains. Watch how public health officials grade phases of pandemic alerts »

"Any time that there is a virus which changes ,  it means perhaps the immunities the human body has built up to dealing with influenza might not be adjusted well enough to dealing with this new virus," Hartl said.

He said that, in Mexico, otherwise young, healthy people have been hit by the virus -- "one of the pieces of the puzzle that is worrying us," he said.

Mexico City has closed all of its schools and universities until further notice because of the virus.  Watch efforts in Mexico to prevent spread of the virus »

More than 1,300 people with flu-like symptoms have been admitted to hospitals in Mexico, and officials are trying to determine how many of them have swine flu, said Jose Cordova Villalobos, the country's health minister.

The H1N1 strain of swine flu is usually associated with pigs. When the flu spreads person-to-person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it a tougher strain that is harder to treat or fight off.

Symptoms of swine flu include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, the CDC said. Learn more about swine flu and how to treat it »

President Barack Obama, who visited Mexico last week en route to the Summit of the Americas in Trinidad and Tobago, is not sick.

"The president's trip to Mexico has not put his health in any danger," spokesman Robert Gibbs said

Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Horus(m): 5:17pm On Apr 26, 2009
The Nigerian government should do some health checks on travellers entering the country through airports.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 26, 2009
/\
                         i
                         i

Yes o,wit immediate effect! . . .all thoz oyinbo wit dia weird weird yamayama disease sef

Swine-flu?oh lord hav mercy
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by philip0906(m): 8:41pm On Apr 26, 2009
SWINE FLU? !the world is in confusion(total).AIDS,birdflu,economic recession,now swineflu!
For allthose who doubt the bible take heed!God is rounding up the program of the world.this world is coming to an end soon!y'all better getready and prepare(i know there r some people who will still doubt)pathetic! sad
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 26, 2009
/\
                      i
                      i
            U 4got d mad cow disease wherby humans can get a human form of mad cow disease called variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) if they eat nerve tissue (d brain n spinal cord) of cattle that were infected with mad cow disease. . . . orishirishi
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by manmustwac(m): 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2009
If the mexican flu virus enters nigeria or africa for that matter. E don finish be dat.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Ellyptical: 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2009
Could this be how it got to humans?
I thought all diseases came from Africa!
LOL
See the pix attached.

Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by cold(m): 10:09pm On Apr 26, 2009
Ellyptical:

LOL
See the pix attached.

Sickkkk!!I'm sendin this pix to CNN via ireport.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Pataki: 12:20am On Apr 27, 2009
Ellyptical:

LOL
See the pix attached.
Where did you get the picture from? That is so irritatingly gross. Or could it have been a Photoshop effect? undecided
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by ElRazur: 1:36am On Apr 27, 2009
From what I have read and what not, it appears the human population is due another epidemic becoming Pandemic, Perhaps this is it? The world population is past it peak, and in some way an endemic out break would probably be a blessing in disguise. There are limited resources, and in other to ensure our continuous survival, a few of these things may have to happen.

An example is the Black death of the 13th century that sees almost about 60% of the population wiped out.

Some argued that if a world wide disease out break do not happen soon, then we can definitely count on having a third world war.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by cold(m): 1:39am On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

From what I have read and what not, it appears the human population is due another epidemic becoming Pandemic, Perhaps this is it? The world population is past it peak, and in some way an endemic out break would probably be a blessing in disguise. There are limited resources, and in other to ensure our continuous survival, a few of these things may have to happen.

An example is the Black death of the 13th century that sees almost about 60% of the population wiped out.

Some argued that if a world wide disease out break do not happen soon, then we can definitely count on having a third world war.

I pray you go first,we'l b comin bhind
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by TOYOSI20(f): 2:01am On Apr 27, 2009
Ellyptical:

LOL
See the pix attached.

OMG!!!. , that pic is so grossing me out for real!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by ElRazur: 2:11am On Apr 27, 2009
cold:

I pray you go first,we'l b comin bhind

I am not afraid of death, It is merely an eternal sleep smiley Besides, we all die in the end anyway.

It is a well known fact. Humans are the only species that do not subscribes to certain rules of nature. If you put a few bacteria in an agar dish, they would eventually use it up and die off. Humans are able to over come this via our higher reasoning and complex problem solving. However, the resources on earth is limited and as we continue to expand with higher birth rates and lower death rates, something just have to give.  smiley

To put these into perspective, imagine a room packed with 6people when it is only ideal for 4people. Eventually someone have to go, or something have to happen.

Diseases that have lay dormant tend to become active again, and as a result of our body not being ready for it - i.e when new strain are formed, or when existing strains jump in-between species that is when the recipe for a Pandemic/Epidemic is made.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by cold(m): 2:25am On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

I am not afraid of death, It is merely an eternal sleep smiley Besides, we all die in the end anyway.

It is a well known fact. Humans are the only species that do not subscribes to certain rules of nature. If you put a few bacteria in an agar dish, they would eventually use it up and die off. Humans are able to over come this via our higher reasoning and complex problem solving. However, the resources on earth is limited and as we continue to expand with higher birth rates and lower death rates, something just have to give.  smiley

To put these into perspective, imagine a room packed with 6people when it is only ideal for 4people. Eventually someone to go, or something have to happen.

Diseases that have lay dormant tend to become active again, and as a result of our body not being ready for it - i.e when new strain are formed, or when existing strains jump in-between species that is when the recipe for a Pandemic/Epidemic is made.

Spare me all dat bio medical crap,i neva mentioned anybody waz scared-all i am sayin is i pray fervently u go 1st,then we'l gladly follow bhind.

Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by ElRazur: 2:30am On Apr 27, 2009
And I answered you that I am not afraid to die, Meh. Never mind. smiley
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by blacksta(m): 4:39am On Apr 27, 2009
ElRazur:

And I answered you that I am not afraid to die, Meh. Never mind. smiley

U cant die man - I rebuke premature death in the Name of Jesus - Ultimately everyone goes but you will have to live the fulfilment of your days.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by ElRazur: 9:39am On Apr 27, 2009
Thanks Blacksta. wink
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by tpiah: 1:43pm On Apr 27, 2009
Unfortunately, El Razur speaks the truth.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Horus(m): 2:25pm On Apr 27, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n6pmK-31sA[/flash]

This video is disgusting!!. And they wonder why Human got swine flu virus!!!
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by yeswecan(m): 3:31pm On Apr 27, 2009
El Razur is right.
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Horus(m): 11:46am On Apr 29, 2009
[size=18pt]Swine flu alert: Can Africa cope with a pandemic?[/size]

The whole world is on alert .The swine flu virus appeared Saturday in Mexico and has already killed nearly 150 people. The spread is fast and dangerous. Only three days after being detected, suspected cases have been discovered in the United States, Canada, Spain, Great Britain, China , On Monday, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised its alert level to 4 on a scale of 6, which corresponds to a high pandemic risk. For the moment Africa appears not to be affected, but the continent is highly vulnerable, says the UN.

Tuesday 28 April 2009

"No region in the world is safe" from the swine flu virus, declared the World Health Organization (WHO) as it raised its alert level to 4 on a scale of 6. This indicates a "significant increase in the risk of a pandemic." Major tourist destinations in Africa are particularly exposed to this risk. In a statement released Monday, Michele Montas, spokeswoman for Ban Ki-moon, UN secretary-general, said that poor African countries are particularly vulnerable. According to her, after multiple crises that have beset the world in recent times, namely; food, energy, economic and financial , the UN must "ensure that they (African countries that are hardest hit by the seies of crises) are not disproportionately affected by a potential health crisis. The World Bank, development agencies and humanitarian assistance of the United Nations are ready, she says, to make funds available to countries that need to combat the epidemic.

Fever detectors at Moroccan airports

A few African countries have already announced precautionary measures. In Morocco, close to Spain, where the first European case of the disease has been reported, the Ministry of Health has stated that provisions against the introduction of A/H1N1 viruses on its territory have been made. A device already in place since 2005 has been reactivated. An earlier plan to combat an outbreak of the avian flu is still pertinent in the fight against the swine flu, according to the authorities of the Kingdom of Morocco. The main measures concerned, basically, involve the strengthening of health checks at land borders, ports and airports. Fever detecting cameras have also been installed at airports. Epidemiological surveillance, both clinical and biological, of the common flu and acute respiratory infections has also been strengthened. In Algeria, Ghana and Togo, health authorities on Monday said they were closely observing the development of the disease and have increased health checks. Although the African media has loudly sounded the alarming and rapid spread of the virus around the world as well as the alert given by the World Health Organization (WHO), most African states have remained silent in the face of a looming health catastrophe.

Adhering to the rules of basic hygiene

The disease, which appeared in Mexico April 24 and has already caused an estimated 150 deaths among thousands of cases, is spreading like wild fire the world over. Known or suspected cases have been detected in the United States, Canada, Spain, Australia, Israel, China , The disease, type A flu virus H1N1 is transmitted from person to person via the respiratory route. Last Sunday the WHO described the new virus as subtype A/H1N1 that has never been previously detected in pigs or humans.The symptoms of the swine influenza are similar to those of ordinary seasonal flus. They are characterized by fevers, headaches, aching muscles, According to the World health organization, the virus responsible for recent human cases of swine influenza responds to oselatmivir molecules (marketed as Tamiflu) and zanamivir (whose trade name is Relenza). To be effective, Tamiflu must be taken no later than 48 hours after the onset of symptoms, indicated the manufacturing laboratory, Roche.Several other laboratories indicate that the first doses of a vaccine will only be available in 4 months. But this time limit remains to be confirmed in relation to the characteristics of the virus. In the meantime, health professionals strongly recommend that basic hygiene rules (washing of hands, avoiding physical contact , ) be strictly adhered to.According to the WHO, which announced the dangers surrounding the spread of the virus, the AH1N1 flu pandemic can be avoided.

Source: http://en.afrik.com/article15622.html
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by Horus(m): 12:11pm On Apr 30, 2009
[size=18pt]Africa awaits two swine flu tests [/size]

Africa's first two possible cases of the potentially killer swine flu virus are being tested in South Africa. Both women, one from Gauteng, the other from Western Cape, had "mild symptoms", said Lucille Blumberg, of the National Institute for Communicable Diseases. It comes as the African Union prepared to establish a continent-wide response to any major outbreak of the virus. The World Health Organization has raised the swine flu alert level to warn a global pandemic may be imminent. The two South Africans had recently visited Mexico, epicentre of the disease, said officials.

Sample bungle

Neither was seriously ill and one had already recovered after receiving anti-viral treatments. But health authorities said they were unlikely to be able to confirm if one of the women did have the virus as her sample had not been stored properly. Ms Blumberg said swine flu tests needed to be sent overseas for confirmation, as South African laboratories could still only do preliminary examinations.

Local laboratory test results are expected in days. One of the women was named by Die Burger newspaper as 58-year-old Susan Kok, of Mossel Bay, Western Cape. The newspaper reported that she had been feeling unwell when she returned to South Africa with her husband last Saturday, after a month-long holiday in Mexico. "We spent quite a bit of time on trains and buses. And we were at the airport in Mexico City three times, so I thought the cough was just due to jet lag," she told Die Burger.

'A continental plan'

The African Union has been working on an emergency response to swine flu at a conference in Ethiopia. "We hope to establish a continental plan for prevention, and if necessary a mechanism to fight this outbreak that has not yet affected Africa," the AU's Peace and Security Commissioner Jean Ping said in Addis Ababa. Egypt has ordered the nation's quarter of a million pigs to be slaughtered over swine flu fears, in the first such move in the world, even though experts say the virus cannot be transmitted by eating meat. The authorities in Ghana have banned imports of pork and pork products and the Central African nation Gabon has followed suit. Health monitoring has been stepped up at ports from Kenya and Ethiopia in East Africa to Senegal and Mauritania in the west. Mozambique has sent medical teams to its main seaports, which are some of the busiest in southern Africa.And authorities in Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, have said they are ready to cope with any swine flu outbreak. The WHO raised the alert to the second highest level of five on Wednesday after a Mexican child died while on a visit to the US state of Texas - the first death from the swine flu outside Mexico. Officials put the number of suspected deaths from the bug in Mexico at 159, although just eight deaths have been confirmed. Since the virus emerged last week, it has also spread to Canada, Europe, Israel, and New Zealand.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8026339.stm
Re: A New Emerging Threat : The Mexican Flu Virus! by blackspade(m): 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Racist American Woman Attack Naija Immigrant In Uk / Gaddafi Quotes On Arabs And Africans. / Ivory Coast: Gbagbo Outtara And The Colonial Pact

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.