Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

For Professional Programmers - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Professional Programmers (1390 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 12:03pm On Apr 27, 2009
I have started this thread to have a CONSTRUCTIVE disscussion about possible projects for and by Nigerians  grin grin

Three years ago:  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-6792.0.html

Nigerian Open source projects

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&type_of_search=soft&words=nigeria

Nigeria: Indigenous Software Developers are Endangered Species, Says Saromi

http://allafrica.com/stories/200904140197.html

Is there any good news when it comes to the Nigerian software industry?
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 12:08pm On Apr 27, 2009
You might find this site a bit handy:  http://www.startupsnigeria.com/about/
Re: For Professional Programmers by candylips(m): 1:17pm On Apr 27, 2009
Endangered Species    Thats very funny.

I think developers in Nigeria should focus more on custom software development , improve their customer support services, improve project management by probably adopting a more agile approach and updating their tech skills to the more recent programming langs (no more VB 6 move to VB .net)

If they can do all these  then organizations will do business with them naturally
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 7:07pm On Apr 27, 2009
candylips:

Endangered Species    Thats very funny.

I think developers in Nigeria should focus more on custom software development , improve their customer support services, improve project management by probably adopting a more agile approach and updating their tech skills to the more recent programming langs (no more VB 6 move to VB .net)

If they can do all these  then organizations will do business with them naturally

You are proof that the species has not died out yet, now we need to get you to a lab ASAP to preserve your DNA - Joke!! grin grin grin grin grin
You have raised a very good point there, the I.T profession in general is about constantly learning or aging within six months. What is your current skill set?
Re: For Professional Programmers by blacksta(m): 8:25pm On Apr 27, 2009
if i may ask " any reason you dont want amateurs"
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2009
Well, , its a long story how many years do you have? grin grin grin grin
Re: For Professional Programmers by blacksta(m): 9:42pm On Apr 27, 2009
Although i came from a system development background (Java) but for the last 3 years i have involved in software testing. I would like to return to programming. at moment i have been training myself in (javascript, asp.net, c++ &php).
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2009
blacksta:

Although i came from a system development background (Java) but for the last 3 years i have involved in software testing. I would like to return to programming. at moment i have been training myself in (javascript, asp.net, c++ &php).

Phew! Thats a heavy load! What apps have you been testing? I try to write test first code with JUnit (Nunit nowadays for C#) but lets be honest - programmers usually make lousy testers grin grin grin grin
Re: For Professional Programmers by candylips(m): 9:44am On Apr 28, 2009
yea testing can be very borrriiing but it is probably the most important part of a software project. i like the fact that you do test driven developement . you can never go wrong with that.

Although with Junit you can only do unit testing. You need other tools for doing Integration, Regression, functional testing . . .
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 2:26pm On Apr 28, 2009
candylips:

i like the fact that you do test driven developement . you can never go wrong with that.

Well, I try to do XP but sometimes I design and test as I go along, lol grin

candylips:

Although with Junit you can only do unit testing. You need other tools for doing Integration, Regression, functional testing . . .

Yep, thats right, however there is a very thin line between unit and functional testing; I would say that Junit is fine for both. The tools, phew! Have you used Visual Studio Team System? Its built for testing! It has all sorts of testing tools, the one that impressed me the most (From a web development perspective) was the Web Test Recorder, it makes integration testing a breeze by capturing http sessions. So for example in IE you load your web app. and press the record button; Then you simply execute one of your requirements and when you are finished you press the stop button - No coding! From that point onwards if you make any changes to your code you can run that same test again and again (rather than doing it manually) to make sure the functionality has not broken - I'll try anything that makes testing remotely exciting grin grin grin grin
Re: For Professional Programmers by blacksta(m): 6:30pm On Apr 28, 2009
grin grin

so Mr Linxon - what do u have in mind
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 8:24pm On Apr 28, 2009
blacksta:

grin grin

so Mr Linxon - what do u have in mind

Like I said in my initial post: I have started this thread to have a CONSTRUCTIVE disscussion about possible projects for and by Nigerian programmers
Hopefully, if anyone of us has an idea we can discuss it and most importantly implement it. To answer your question directly, I do not have anything specific in mind at present but I am open to suggestions.
Re: For Professional Programmers by candylips(m): 9:34am On Apr 29, 2009
@linxon

I personally don't really believe in developing off the shelf software products mainly because potential customers might have varying requirements and capturing this is a product usually results in an overbloated, overengineered and probably overpriced product.  And guess what there are lots open source software these days solving a lot of generic biz problems

Your approach should be solving a perculiar problem for a company in Nigeria  and to do that u will need to do some requirements gathering
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 12:17pm On Apr 29, 2009
candylips:

@linxon

I personally don't really believe in developing off the shelf software products mainly because potential customers might have varying requirements and capturing this is a product usually results in an overbloated, overengineered and probably overpriced product.  And guess what there are lots open source software these days solving a lot of generic biz problems

Your approach should be solving a perculiar problem for a company in Nigeria  and to do that u will need to do some requirements gathering

I don't know what gave you the impression that I wanted to create a PRIMITIVE off the shelf product  I am currently involved in THREE open source projects so I am pretty busy at the moment.  If you read my initial post I included a link for Sourceforge, it showed that there are no open source projects for Nigeria:
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&type_of_search=soft&words=nigeria
grin grin grin grin

I was hoping this thread would be a way to network with progressive Nigerians who are passionate about putting an end to this embarrassment. grin grin grin
Re: For Professional Programmers by blacksta(m): 12:57pm On Apr 29, 2009
linxon:

I don't know what gave you the impression that I wanted to create a PRIMITIVE off the shelf product  I am currently involved in THREE open source projects so I am pretty busy at the moment.  If you read my initial post I included a link for Sourceforge, it showed that there are no open source projects for Nigeria:
grin grin grin grin

I was hoping this thread would be a way to network with progressive Nigerians who are passionate about putting an end to this embarrassment. grin grin grin

Yes and it is working - I have visited the sourceforge - i for one i am interested in what you are doing.
Re: For Professional Programmers by candylips(m): 1:03pm On Apr 29, 2009
No i understand you but what i was trying to suggest is the focus should be more on solving a real problem probably using a company as a case study.

Why do u think it is an embarassment that there is no Nigerian open source soft in sourceforge?
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 1:04pm On Apr 29, 2009
blacksta:

Yes and it is working - I have visited the sourceforge - i for one i am interested in what you are doing.

Thats great!
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 1:08pm On Apr 29, 2009
candylips:

No i understand you but what i was trying to suggest is the focus should be more on solving a real problem probably using a company as a case study.

Okay! thats a good idea

candylips:

Why do u think it is an embarassment that there is no Nigerian open source soft in sourceforge?

Thats a suprise! comming from an advocate of OSS, remember you said:
candylips:

And guess what there are lots open source software these days solving a lot of generic biz problems

If we don't participate this I.T revolution will pass us by like the industrial revolution.
Re: For Professional Programmers by candylips(m): 1:30pm On Apr 29, 2009
linxon:

Thats a suprise! comming from an advocate of OSS, remember you said:
If we don't participate this I.T revolution will pass us by like the industrial revolution.

Reinventing the wheel doesn't make sense so u can tweek a lot of those generic OSS to solve a problem and probably OS it as well right. Also u don't have to have apps hosted on sourceforge to make it open source. you can have your own website and offer people free downloads right  smiley
Re: For Professional Programmers by linxon(m): 2:00pm On Apr 29, 2009
candylips:

Reinventing the wheel doesn't make sense so u can tweek a lot of those generic OSS to solve a problem and probably OS it as well right. Also u don't have to have apps hosted on sourceforge to make it open source. you can have your own website and offer people free downloads right  smiley

undecided lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed undecided

(1) (Reply)

Run 'N' Gun Game App / Help With Codeigniter And Git / Aljazeera Won't Let Me See FP military Youtube Video. CENSORSHIP?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.