Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,813 members, 7,827,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either (3215 Views)

Obasanjo, Tinubu Not Yoruba Leaders – Afenifere / Arewa To Abolish Indigene-settler Policy / Tinubu Asks For New Ideas To Solve The Indigene/Settler Challenge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 6:23pm On Apr 27, 2009
Reminiscences of early settlers
punch 27-04-09
By FRANCIS FAMOROTI

Many residents of Lagos yearn for knowledge about some early settlers in the city, FRANCIS FAMOROTI reports

Ten year-old Boluwatife Olutayo in company with his mother went shopping in Central Lagos three weeks ago. While returning to their Ifako home in a Toyota Hiace mini bus, the boy sighted a white tomb located within two office buildings on Broad Street, Lagos.

He curiously asked his mum: "Is that Herbert Macaulay's grave?"

His mother replied "No! That is the tomb of Taiwo Olowo, a wealthy Lagosian who died several years ago."

A man who gave his name simply as Rasheed, who was in the same public vehicle expressed surprise at this response. He said that he had always thought that the tomb was that of another wealthy merchant of the pre-independence era, Candido Da Rocha.

Certainly, many children of Boluwatife's generation and some adults of the likes of Rasheed would again ask the same question on sighting Olowo's tomb on Broad Street.

It suffices that some Lagos residents lacked the insight of how Lagos came into being, the city's early day settlers and its peculiarities.

Indeed, what is today known as Lagos is a city where a host of African returnees from Brazil, Portugual and Cuba resettled after the abolition of the slave trade.

According to historians, the word 'Lagos' means Lagoon and the city was so named because it took very much in terms of its physical and geographical features after Lagos- a small coastal town in Portugal.

It is not surprising that another historical account says that the word 'Lagos' is derived from the Portuguese word "Lagos de Curamo".

A writer, L.C Leard in the Nigerian Magazine published in 1953 writes "The official discovery of Lagos, according to my [sic] research, can be ascribed to one of two Portuguese sailors -either Lancelot de Freitas or Gonclaves de Cintra.

"I'm inclined to think the odds are Lancelot de Freitas, after all he was a local "Lagosian" in the year 1450 whereas Gonclaves came from Cintra or Sintra [as his name suggests] and returned from his voyage down the African coast in 1461."

Besides these early settlers in the city of Lagos, other notable figures included, an ex-slave and clergyman, Samuel Ajayi Crowther, who returned to Africa in 1864 .

It was learnt that on his arrival, he settled in Lagos and located the headquarters of his church in the city from where he made missionary incursions into the hinterland of the Yoruba.

A 78-year-old retiree, Pa. Dele Yemi-John, told our correspondent in an interview in Lagos, that other prominent settlers and indigenes were a surveyor and nationalist, Herbert Macaulay, an urbane lawyer, Sir Kitoye Ajasa, a politician, Akanni Doherty, a horse racing promoter, Sir Adeyemo Alakija, notable wealthy merchants, Da Rocha, Taiwo Olowo and another businessman, J.A Ajao among others.

Although these early settlers are no more, not many Lagos residents, beyond historical accounts, really know the depth of their contributions to the socio-political development of the country.

For instance, Macaulay who was prominent, could be remembered for his nationalism quest when the Nigerian National Democratic Party was formed in 1923, but not many youths of this generation are aware that he lived on Odunlami Street, a few metres away from the CSS Bookshop House, Lagos.

According to Yemi-John, "Macaulay was a very vibrant politician who wrote several articles in the newspaper criticising the colonial policies. He lived around Tinubu and Odunlami Street, Lagos."

He said because of Macaulay's fiery stance, the politician was given a host of nicknames including " Wizard of the Kirsten Hall" and "Ejo N'gboro "

He said that the politician took ill in the train while on his way to the North for a political activity in 1946, adding that " he died and was buried in Lagos."

In Macaulay's memory, two statues were erected in front of the CSS Bookshop House on Broad Street, Lagos and on Herbert Macaulay Street, Sabo, Yaba respectively.

Yemi-John also said Da Rocha, was a wealthy and successful merchant who lived on Kakawa Street, Lagos behind the high-rise CSS Bookshop House.

He said " Da Rocha's house was often called Water House because sold water to the residents in the area.''

Da Rocha's imposing one-storey mansion is a visible sight on Kakawa/ Broad Street junction. It was learnt that after his death in the late 1950s, he was buried in Ikoyi cemetery.

An 82-year old retired postmaster, Pa Ishola Abudu, corroborated this assertion and recalled that Alakija was a successful horse racing promoter in those days.

His words" Sir Adeyemo was very prominent and well known for his active involvement in social and sporting events. He was very visible in Race Course and was one of the founders of the elite Island Club."

Abudu also recalled that Olowo belonged to the class of individuals who founded village settlements in Lagos adding that after his death, he was buried on Broad Street and a monument was built on his tomb.

He said "His descendants have always kept his memory alive and his tomb is usually painted white regularly."

Another Octogenarian, Pa James Kehinde, said Ajasa was a notable lawyer who was closer to the colonial authorities and often applauded their policies while Doherty was one of the pioneer leaders of the defunct of the Action Group.

yoruba make una respect 1 nigeria oo

take time ooo

becomecotonu for where
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by jara: 8:05pm On Apr 27, 2009
Una don start?

Who tell you say na barren land without Omo-onile. The slaves that returned had both Yoruba and foreign names. So read the artilce well. As homework, find out who the Omo-onile are.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 8:08pm On Apr 27, 2009
the article speak for itself!!

the ist settlers are not huh !
cool

now hope u are not refering to bishop ajaih crowder
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by bawomolo(m): 8:10pm On Apr 27, 2009
ikeyman00:

the article speak for itself!!

the ist settlers are not huh !
cool

you are assuming they settled on barren land. don't be ignorant.
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ElRazur: 8:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
An article that uses an 82 year old to buttress its point, wont be taken seriously by some. It is well known that memory starts fading from 24years or so. Hence some would say take his account with a pinch of salt. smiley
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 8:17pm On Apr 27, 2009
^^^^^^

yes u are right

but make no mistake lagos aint what yoruba love to think it is. anyway na state for excellency for all nigeria minus vampire opp!! they are in up north
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 8:18pm On Apr 27, 2009
you are assuming they settled on barren land. don't be ignorant.

meaning ?
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ElRazur: 8:23pm On Apr 27, 2009
ikeyman00:

^^^^^^

yes u are right

but make no mistake lagos aint what yoruba love to think it is. anyway na state for excellency for all nigeria minus vampire opp!! they are in up north

I don't care who settles there first, who owns it or who don't. It is over-rated and over-crowded. Give me ilorin in Kwara-state anytime anyday. smiley

Besides, there is a popular saying in the Eko area [lagos Island] that "Those who belong here, knows who they are and so are those who are visiting" or something along those lines.
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2009
good talk bros hha

but wait oo

so emm as a kwara hah do u see yourself as a yoruba, no offence
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ElRazur: 8:30pm On Apr 27, 2009
No I like Ilorin because I had part of my growing up there when I got back to naija.

People from Kwara see themselves as coming from the "north", while those who speak the "Okun o language" considers themselves a Yoruba. Personally, it is all a big baloney to me. smiley
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 8:33pm On Apr 27, 2009
hahha k

but i guess u are abreast of emm becomerich movement; bridging kwara,ilorin with benin rep

and by the way okun is it a version of yoruba
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ElRazur: 8:37pm On Apr 27, 2009
ikeyman00:

hahha k

but i guess u are abreast of emm becomerich movement; bridging kwara,ilorin with benin rep

and by the way okun is it a version of yoruba

I see his thread and just tend to ignore them.

Yeah "Okun O" is a term used to describe the collective of Yoruba various dialects in and around Kwara and surrounding states. It is a common word amongst these dialects which literal translation means "Greetings" "Hope you are okay".  It is spoken mostly by sects of Yoruba from Ekiti, Ondo, Kwara, Kogi etc.

So if yo understand any of the dialects, it is possible to have a ful conversation with anyone who is from these areas I guess.
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by tpiah: 9:38pm On Apr 27, 2009
assuming there was a history section on NL, and the OP wasnt perpetually drunk, this thread has little to do with his theme.
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 9:39pm On Apr 27, 2009
shocked
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by SapeleGuy: 9:49pm On Apr 27, 2009
The body of this article is not accurate, perhaps this was an oversight, perhaps not. You can't talk of Eko (which means camp in edo language) without mentioning the Binis in modern day Edo State.

"Oba Orhogbua was clearly a strong warrior for he enforced tribute payments from all parts of the empire and in the middle 1550s conquered all the coastal lands up to Lagos where he left a permanent garrison. Tradition in Lagos says that their first Oba, the Eleko of Eko, was a son of the Oba Orhogbua of Benin"

"Now the name "Ashipa has featured quite prominently (and rightly too) in the history of Lagos. After the Oba Orhogbua returned to Benin from Eko, he appointed a commander or an administrator, who was called Aisikpa to look after the skeleton troop left in the camp(Eko) until he returned again from Benin. He could no longer return having seen the situation at home. The name "Aisikpahienvoborre" which means "people do not desert their home-land. "This is how Aisikpa, whom the Yoruba now call Ashipa, came into the Lagos (Eko) history. Eko is still there as the traditional Benin name for Lagos; Ashipa has been retained as a senior traditional chieftaincy title while his descendants now retain the modern name of Oba of Lagos. The interaction of Edo people with others in distant lands must have inevitably resulted in cultural exchanges. "

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 9:55pm On Apr 27, 2009
^^^

well so far i think it clearly visible to say emm the yorubas arnt only the first setters
or maybe they arent even the first settler in the first place
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 28, 2009
ikeyman you're a very foolish person
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 8:14am On Apr 28, 2009
^^^^^

cheap publicity shot

olodu u no get brain at all ziddy
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by kaygee1234: 3:18pm On Apr 28, 2009
Ikeymann

Learn to type proper English for God's sake!!!
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 5:15pm On Apr 28, 2009
kaygee

i hate slowpoke!! for goodness and graciousness sake

sorri if u cant read good grammar

get help
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:17pm On Apr 28, 2009
can osisi or someone take this dog to get his shots.

all these losers trying so hard to claim Lagos, na by force?
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by blacksta(m): 5:23pm On Apr 28, 2009
where is becomerich when you need him . Igbos are claiming nobody owns lagos. Please come quickly. LOl
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by asha80(m): 5:27pm On Apr 28, 2009
blacksta:

where is becomerich when you need him . Igbos are claiming nobody owns lagos. Please come quickly. LOl

Who are the igbos here claiming nobody owns lagos?

ThiefOfHearts:

Better face your ekiti that is on fire at the moment grin tongue
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 5:30pm On Apr 28, 2009
blacksta

becomerich is a langusihing slowpoke, he usually try so hard to avoid a lot of issue i ve raised so far.

Watch him now, oh i dnt respond to insults !! my guy make u laugh oo hahhhah

he keep runnin and runnin, now for how long??

tribalist morons in denial
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 5:32pm On Apr 28, 2009
asha
Who are the igbos here claiming nobody owns lagos?

hope u not suffering from vison effect

yeye fool
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by asha80(m): 5:35pm On Apr 28, 2009
@ikeyman00

I wu ogwu azu grin cheesy
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 5:36pm On Apr 28, 2009
toh

lagos na who get am naw

yoruba?? waitin

was it the capital befor?

whats the soucre of funds used to build lagos?

who should have a say?? CBN

was the FG villa in lagos before??

do the yorubas have the right to beat their emm k chest like TOK

are u a slowpoke?
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 5:39pm On Apr 28, 2009
asha
I wu ogwu azu

na lie bruda, if u face me i go face u; do me i go em, nooooooooo way me no bi your gay boyfriend
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:56pm On Apr 28, 2009
na your mama i hear say be slowpoke.

Omo ode.

Must you make a thread? Cant you keep your idiocy to yourself?
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by blacksta(m): 6:00pm On Apr 28, 2009
@ikey

please apologise - u can go round calling people "slowpoke" u will derail the thread

thanks
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 6:16pm On Apr 28, 2009
seen!^^
tongue
Re: Lagos Metropolitian Not Yoruba! 1st Settler Not Yoruba Either by ikeyman00(m): 6:18pm On Apr 28, 2009
toh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
na your mama i hear say be slowpoke.

Omo ode.

Must you make a thread? Cant you keep your idiocy to yourself?

them papa them mama

so lagos for all??

lagos for yoruba ??

(1) (2) (Reply)

''Tinubu, I Am Sorry, You Are No Longer A Looter''-ribadu Implies / Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 / Senator Ngige Under Fire For Coveting Governor Obi’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.