Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Sweet Egun Names - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sweet Egun Names (38927 Views)

Yoruba, Fon And Ewe Cultural Area / The Sweet Meadows Of Contemplation: An Addendudm To The Infaq Al-maysur / A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sweet Egun Names by XAUBulls: 10:52pm On Jun 06, 2023
absoluteSuccess:
Egun people has some of the nicest sounding vocabularies and thought invoking names. Music wise, Egun songs and dirges are of the highest quality African spiritual.

I have listen to such in rendition, and to the kinestethics of the 'hunsie's' dancesteps, the dance of mortals initiated to the deities of our ancestor's Votun.

Most Egun bear names with deep meaning, can't collate all but some.

Seveo: Creator is passionate with word.

Sejro: Creator's desire.

Sewanu: Creator be thanked.

Sesinu: Creator's own thing.

Vyhutu: For the sake of a child.

Johnde: One good thing.

Hosu: Several tidings.

Mausi: God's belonging.

Sonayon: Tomorrow will be well.

Totai: Father at market.

Dethin: Prayer is real.

Senami: God's gift to me.

Mehgonu: Individual personal issue.

Mendo: Whom do I have?

Who do I have to add some more to the list?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by XAUBulls: 11:12pm On Jun 06, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

The Don,

It is Yoruba phrase meaning 'when there is no elder', from the proverb

'agba osi ilu baje, baale ile ku ile dahoro.' There was no elder, the city is spoilt. The father of the house died, the house became desolate.

It used to be the fad amongst the Egun to bear Yoruba proverbs as names, and Agbaosi is one of such names.

My grandma own is Geleodun, from 'Geleodun bi kamoo we, kamoowe o dabi koyeni': headgear is not so pleasant if you can't tie it right, to tie it right is not as pleasant as when it's a perfect-fit.

The Egun uses Yoruba language to spice their language (which is as beautiful as any language) and to break monotony.

Atimes, you wont recognise a word of Yoruba that has become Egun, vice versa. Example, fenyin-en means 'cassava', but in Yoruba, it means 'open your teeth'.
Insightful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by XAUBulls: 11:29pm On Jun 06, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

Awori is a dialect of Yoruba, and a Yoruba speaker can easily understand Awori.

Egun on the other hand is a language on its own, seperate from Yoruba. A Yoruba speaker can never understand Egun, vice versa.

The similarity is in the area of culture, history and worldview to some extent. The Egun has their variant dialects, just like Yoruba.

Aja, Ajara, Setor, Gbekon, Alada, Tori are some forms of Egun dialects. Meanwhile, people of Whydah and cotonou speaks Yoruba and Alada.

Others only bear Yoruba names, worships their version of 'Yoruba gods' such as Sango, Dudua, Ifa, Roko and patronises 'Bokonor' (obo kor no: charm-sand-peeps).

Juju in Egun language actually means 'black colour'. Vior also means black. Votun means venerated idol; 'voodoo' or 'juju' means 'obo' 'Ohbow'.
Impressive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by ewa26: 11:52pm On Jun 07, 2023
back to make a racket ok
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Zzzd: 4:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

Thanks for the enlightenment
Alright,

Ajoviyon, the business (of raising) children is good.

Asokere, patridge, (aparo, quail). So asokere might have been a deconstruction of a proverb made into name. That I'm not able to guess.

Ekundayo: they don't translate Ekundayo to Egun language. Rather, Egun adopt the same as though it's Egun.

Kundayo, Egun loves eliminating the first vowel of their Yoruba names, except for letter A or O in most cases.

Ekun, (Avi), di, (zun, lezun), Ayo, (ahya). Aiha, a close sound to ahya means memory. Ajoyo, rejoicing, jahyah.

I hope this helps.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by chigozieduru: 12:28am On Dec 31, 2023
absoluteSuccess:

Alright,

Asokere, patridge, (aparo, quail). So asokere might have been a deconstruction of a proverb made into name. That I'm not able to guess.

Ekundayo: they don't translate Ekundayo to Egun language. Rather, Egun adopt the same as though it's Egun.

Kundayo, Egun loves eliminating the first vowel of their Yoruba names, except for letter A or O in most cases.

Ekun, (Avi), di, (zun, lezun), Ayo, (ahya). Aiha, a close sound to ahya means memory. Ajoyo, rejoicing, jahyah.

I hope this helps.

Min tche le min
Nin mi fon gbon? Mi fon gandji a?
Mi kudo xwe! Je vous souhaite une excellente annee plein de succes. I wish you all a great and successful New Year!
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2023
chigozieduru:

Min tche le min
Nin mi fon gbon? Mi fon gandji a?
Mi kudo xwe! Je vous souhaite une excellente annee plein de succes. I wish you all a great and successful New Year!

Meh dao!

Mi fon dagbe alafia!

Mi bai kaka,

Mi ku do aisun whe yoyo de dote.
Aho na je na mmepo.

The year ahead will usher in the best of time ever for us and our loved ones.
Good to hear from your dear brother.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Zzzdd: 6:43pm On Mar 30
absoluteSuccess:

Alright,

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed response, I’d also like to ask about the name Sewedo if it’s same as osewedo and osewe
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 2:54pm On Mar 31
Zzzdd:

Thanks for the detailed response, I’d also like to ask about the name Sewedo if it’s same as osewedo and osewe

A little bit dicey names, Sewedo would mean he or she is "God's possession", but on another look, if the last morpheme is do as in "door" (Sewe-door), it would be a complete form of the name "Seidor", meaning, Sewedomo (Seh-weh-dor-more), "It's the Lord who said so".

Osewe, on the other hand means "It's the Lord". One has to take the circumstance of the name in question into consideration. Is it a short alias or diminutive of any of the above? If I say Osewe! It might be a diminutive of any of the above.

The bearer would be the only person in the best place to tell, but if this is it as written in a document, then it simply means "It's the Lord". From the reasoning of the Egun folks, it would be their version of "Divine" as a name.

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by Zzzdd: 12:44am On Apr 08
absoluteSuccess:

A little bit dicey names, Sewedo would mean he or she is "God's possession", but on another look, if the last morpheme is do as in "door" (Sewe-door), it would be a complete form of the name "Seidor", meaning, Sewedomo (Seh-weh-dor-more), "It's the Lord who said so".

Osewe, on the other hand means "It's the Lord". One has to take the circumstance of the name in question into consideration. Is it a short alias or diminutive of any of the above? If I say Osewe! It might be a diminutive of any of the above.

The bearer would be the only person in the best place to tell, but if this is it as written in a document, then it simply means "It's the Lord". From the reasoning of the Egun folks, it would be their version of "Divine" as a name.

Thanks so much for the clarification, it’s actually my name it’s osewedomo but on my document it’s written as osewe. Thanks again for this detailed explanation.

Though still searching for the meaning of my family name Asokere.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 10:15pm On Apr 08
Zzzdd:

Thanks so much for the clarification, it’s actually my name it’s osewedomo but on my document it’s written as osewe. Thanks again for this detailed explanation.

Though still searching for the meaning of my family name Asokere.

LOL good to know the truth behind the name.

Asokere is definitely an alias-turned-name. It may have a Yoruba root, my theory though, now let's do some linguistic analysis: asokere "one who says very little" or "one who catapults at the slightest notice": in this instance, the morpheme '-so' is to 'self-propel'. Normally, its the Yoruba word for 'throw'.

Now the sense that supports the last option is from the Yoruba proverb, "ko s'ewu loko, afi giri aparo". That "giri" is the "take off" [so] at the slightest [kere] moment. Whatever does that is 'asokere'. Now 'ewu' in Yoruba can be decoded in Egun, where it means e[it]wu[kills]. The proverb says "there's no "mortal risk" [danger] in the farm except a sudden flight of the quail."

How do we reconcile this interesting linguistic interplay? Well, both languages do use each others lexicons to conceal meaning: "abontro", (a big form of alayonbere) is like 'a-bo-n-toro' for the way it looks.

A castrated goat is said to be "won tee loda" in Yoruba. Alternatively, "gbo ada" is to "bleed the loins", ada (a variant of asa) corresponds with "oda" in "tee l'oda". If we are correct, castration thus means "pressing the loins" of a male animal. We also have 'atoquin' as Egun word for the 'scrotum', which combines "ato" (Yoruba for sperm) with "quin" (okun), Egun for "seed".

In the same vein, Lokossa is Egun version of Yoruba's "Idiroko." Quite an interesting sharing that makes one wiser. Finally from the analysis, asokere thus comes down to mean 'one who self-propels at the slightest stimulus'. This accurately describe this bird's behaviour in the farm. The 'kere' here is identical with 'kete' in Yoruba-proper, where it means "instantly".

kere-Yoruba-minuscule
Kreun-Egun-minuscule.

Kere wun: Yoruba - "too small to hold (with the fingers).

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by Zzzdd: 2:01am On Apr 09
absoluteSuccess:

Asokere is definitely an alias-turned-name. It may have a Yoruba root, my theory though, now let's do some linguistic analysis: asokere "one who says very little" or "one who catapults at the slightest notice": in this instance, the morpheme '-so' is to 'self-propel'. Normally, its the Yoruba word for 'throw'.

Now the sense that supports the last option is from the Yoruba proverb, "ko s'ewu loko, afi giri aparo". That "giri" is the "take off" [so] at the slightest [kere] moment. Whatever does that is 'asokere'. Now 'ewu' in Yoruba can be decoded in Egun, where it means e[it]wu[kills]. The proverb says "there's no "mortal risk" [danger] in the farm except a sudden flight of the quail."

How do we reconcile this interesting linguistic interplay? Well, both languages do use each others lexicons to conceal meaning: "abontro", (a big form of alayonbere) is like 'a-bo-n-toro' for the way it looks.

A castrated goat is said to be "won tee loda" in Yoruba. Alternatively, "gbo ada" is to "bleed the loins", ada (a variant of asa) corresponds with "oda" in "tee l'oda". If we are correct, castration thus means "pressing the loins" of a male animal. We also have 'atoquin' as Egun word for the 'scrotum', which combines "ato" (Yoruba for sperm) with "quin" (okun), Egun for "seed".

In the same vein, Lokossa is Egun version of Yoruba's "Idiroko." Quite an interesting sharing that makes one wiser. Finally from the analysis, asokere thus comes down to mean 'one who self-propels at the slightest stimulus'. This accurately describe this bird's behaviour in the farm. The 'kere' here is identical with 'kete' in Yoruba-proper, where it means "instantly".

kere-Yoruba-minuscule
Kreun-Egun-minuscule.

Wow merci beaucoup pour cette explication… now I can understand very well the meaning behind Asokere.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Zzzdd: 2:06am On Apr 09
absoluteSuccess:

kere-Yoruba-minuscule
Kreun-Egun-minuscule.

Not related to the topic but can you suggest any material (video or text) I can use to learn Goungbe.
Though I understand some words but mostly fongbe and I speak french fluently.. practicing the language won’t be an issue but just need materials to teach me the basics.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 8:24am On Apr 10
Zzzdd:

Wow merci beaucoup pour cette explication… now I can understand very well the meaning behind Asokere.

You are much welcome sir, I have you to thank for not settling for average on the meaning of your name. I have no inkling of whatever could be beneath the name either, not until you so desiredto know more.

The best material that I would recommend is to have films either from Badagry or Cotonou which are produced in the Egun language. Then also music from the same source and possibly the people's national jingles, we all are pupils of whatever we love.

Then possibly the holy scripture in Egun language. the best guys that one can get this from around would be the Celestial members who are more connected to the Egun language through their denomination.

I think Ajawhi and Zagbohan are couple of good old maestro with good tune in the native language. Give them a try and let me hear from you sir, thanks.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 8:34am On Apr 10
The "Asokere" exercise equally helped me to understand my grandma's "Hun-" (folk sacred religion initiate) adoptive name. If Hunfesuku means "Awo-fe-school" three languages have been amalgamated in so doing to say "indigenous religion loves education".

That would help unravel another name in the same sacred code format, namely "Hungbo". In Egun, that would mean "sacred goat", which the true meaning will hardly favours (for we know Egun to love intellectually inclined names). Rather, Hungbo simply means "sacred tradition hears". That means the word "Hungbo" derives partly from Egun and partly from Yoruba. That's breaking a sacred code of ages.

The most baffling however is attempting to find the unknown meaning of the morpheme, "Hun" (na zohun thowe: maa se orisa fun e: I will initiate you into the folk sacred tradition). Ohun simply means "voice" in Yoruba, just like Yoruba's "awo" means "aho" that is, "noise" (ariwo) in Egun. After ages of uses, these "word family" have become something more esoteric, much away from their original meanings.

Thus Hunno today means Oloisa in Yoruba. It should accurately have meant "Awo", but Ohun, that is "secret" has come to define traditional religion in the psyche of the Egun, instead of Babalawo.

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 8:48am On Apr 10
"Maa sorisa fun e niseyin" is how my folks scares troublesome little kids with mixed heritage in their midst, which help us pick some nuances in their interpretations.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Zzzdd: 10:25am On Apr 10
absoluteSuccess:

You are much welcome sir, I have you to thank for not settling for average on the meaning of your name. I have no inkling of whatever could be beneath the name either, not until you so desiredto know more.

The best material that I would recommend is to have films either from Badagry or Cotonou which are produced in the Egun language. Then also music from the same source and possibly the people's national jingles, we all are pupils of whatever we love.

Then possibly the holy scripture in Egun language. the best guys that one can get this from around would be the Celestial members who are more connected to the Egun language through their denomination.

I think Ajawhi and Zagbohan are couple of good old maestro with good tune in the native language. Give them a try and let me hear from you sir, thanks.

Thanks very much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 5:21pm On Apr 26
There's one incredible info my aunt shared with me way back, she said the Felas were Egun. Lol, I was like "Mummy, bawo lese mo, nam' mi gbon tho yon?"

When she break the name Ransome-kuti to me and Fela's change of name, I was wowed.

Azo: horn:
Ranzo-Animal's horn;
Ransome-Inside the horn;
Ransome-kute: "Inside the horn is death"

Now it got quite interesting, we do assume Ransome-Kuti means "ransom". But no, that's not the spelling I think. The spelling of the name is "Ransome". When Fela dropped the "Ransome", he took "Anikulapo" as replacement.

In this, there's direct interpretation of ransome-kute into the Yoruba language. Not to forget, Fela's song do have intrinsic Egun sweet melody lurking undertone of the great music maestro's Afrobeat songs.

The Egba were the neighbors of the great Dahome empire and naturally, Dahome was the strongest empire in the neighborhood way back when the Egba arrived in the 19th century to establish her fortress in the present location, then called "igbo Egun" leading to confrontation with the empire.

Azo, azo winawin, vito nadunun, vino ma dike!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Urhobo Wa Doo! Learn/share Urhobo Stuff Here / Aminu Sanusi Lamido Marries Zainab Ali Bashir (Photos) / African Civet Captured At The Isiokpo/Akpulu Hunting Festival 2017 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.