Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Sweet Egun Names - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sweet Egun Names (38812 Views)

Yoruba, Fon And Ewe Cultural Area / The Sweet Meadows Of Contemplation: An Addendudm To The Infaq Al-maysur / A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sweet Egun Names by Titilayo4real(f): 11:41am On Apr 19, 2021
Good day, please what is the egun meaning of the name Medese
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Titilayo4real(f): 11:45am On Apr 19, 2021
I'm interpreting dhe hu mo, meaning

"tougher than road"

But if you are Yoruba, chances are that you missed the intricacies of the language through pronunciation.

Dhenhumo, farther than the road can lead.[/quote]
Good day sir, please can you help with the meaning of Medese??
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 2:29pm On Apr 19, 2021
Titilayo4real:
Good day, please what is the egun meaning of the name Medese

Its a name derived from three morphemes

Me someone
De: who
Se: creator, move.

Someone who's created is the idea, but is understood in that language as a child of God.

Put more aptly, "one who belongs to his Maker".

Se is like a personal-Creator of each person.

2 Likes

Re: Sweet Egun Names by Titilayo4real(f): 5:44pm On Apr 20, 2021

Me someone

Someone who's created is the idea, but is understood in that language as a child of God.

Se is like a personal-Creator of each person.[/quote]

Me someone

Se is like a personal-Creator of each person.

Thank you sir
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Dfirstlady(f): 5:56pm On May 20, 2021
My Dad is Gun (he never pronounced it Egun and neither do I).
My grandpa gave me the name Shemayinhode. My dad said it means "What's my business?" My mum is Igbo and she said that's not what it means. She claims that's not what my grandma told her.

What does Shemayinhode mean?
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 9:51pm On Jun 03, 2021
Dfirstlady:
My Dad is Gun (he never pronounced it Egun and neither do I).
My grandpa gave me the name Shemayinhode. My dad said it means "What's my business?" My mum is Igbo and she said that's not what it means. She claims that's not what my grandma told her.

What does Shemayinhode mean?

Yes, Gugbe is the way the speakers pronounce their language.

The Yoruba linguistic mannerism is such that a noun takes a verb prefix for ease of pronunciation. As such, Egun is akin to saying "The Gu".

Shey - mine
Mayin - not named, not about
Ho, de: a word, in particular.

It's like saying "my case is settled", "my cause is not problematic", "mine is not about trial", "mine is not a talk of trouble".

Shey-mayin-whegbe, whegbe is like iregbe in Yoruba, akin to crime talk or trouble.

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 7:04am On Jun 09, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

Yes, Gugbe is the way the speakers pronounce their language.

The Yoruba linguistic mannerism is such that a noun takes a verb prefix for ease of pronunciation. As such, Egun is akin to saying "The Gu".

Shey - mine
Mayin - not named, not about
Ho, de: a word, in particular.

It's like saying "my case is settled", "my cause is not problematic", "mine is not about trial", "mine is not a talk of trouble".

Shey-mayin-whegbe, whegbe is like iregbe in Yoruba, akin to crime talk or trouble.

Indeed, to have a good grasp of language and it's meaning would require that one knows more than one language related to the language of interest.

The name shey-mayin-hode

Very good example of mind sharing of ideas. Here, the namegiver had interpreted Yoruba song back into Egun dialect, Allada.

It's more like taking a subordinate clause and fashioned the same to a name. It follows exactly the same art presented in say, geleodun.

I stumble on the song "Oro mi ko gbejo wewe, kin samaa dupe loto" sometimes after struggling to interpret the above name.

The namegiver had in mind Thanksgiving, like we say "amudawa sukura". Thus the same way the name means "I have nothing to complain about but to give thanks"

The broken Link

If I've known the Egun version of the particular song, it won't have been a problem, yet I would have missed a problem that would have been.

In-between lies the skill. Finding facts about topics that present only a tip without the rest of the details and getting the rest of the details with accuracy that satisfies the very initial tip is like algebra.

That process helps to verify the linguist, his work ethics and results.

In shey-mayin-hode, the namegiver adopted the subordinate clause and not the main clause. His son concluded the meaning very sharp, thereby, losing the true essence.

This is because he (the son) never had access to the old man's linguistic experience. He'd not possibly rocked with his dad's circle of friends and fad of their time.

The mom is not satisfied with the meaning because it's not in sync with the faint recollection she could make of what she thought that grandpa was saying.

The baby have to figure it out, but it's impossible from the tips given already. It's by chance one would come by the meaning of such stuffs as this.

Ori tio gbeni nii gbalawo're koni. This perfectly applies here. To God be the glory.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by orriyomi33(m): 9:07am On Jun 09, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

LOL, Its been a while I've heard from you semasir, I want to believe yinko stands for 'name' while yinorkor stands for 'family tie'

naweh is the opposite of Daweh, for a woman and a man.

You re right as to my spellings, I am not farmiliar with egun alphabet.
What is the meaning of the name ''Togbe'' in ogu/egun ? In yoruba it could mean to fall asleep so i would like to know the meaning of the name.q
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 1:13am On Jun 10, 2021
orriyomi33:
What is the meaning of the name ''Togbe'' in ogu/egun ? In yoruba it could mean to fall asleep so i would like to know the meaning of the name.q

WOW!

It's possibly an idiom, though I don't know what that would mean. However the phrase means "ear for words".

Let's draw idea from Yoruba:

"Eleti gbaroye"

Then the idea is also found in "oro l'omo eletii je" or, "o leti ede": as in, "gbogbo sorosoro eranti eni moo gbo'

Ultimately, I will settle for Etiigbo, as we have it in the prayer points, Oluwa a funwa ni Etiigbo ati ayaagbase.

With that, the name now means "listening ears", or pliable character.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 1:28am On Jun 10, 2021
I've come to realize today that one needs to try interpret the Egun to Yoruba first, before going for English.

That's because the Egun ideas is closely knitted with Yoruba ideas, such that it seems like one is interpreted into another.

These therefore are kindred languages, and siblings. Thereto, we can categorize the knitted ideas into three classes:

Intra-ethnic
Trans-ethnic, and
Inter-ethnic.

In intra-ethnic, the idea is native to the Egun, it can't be found elsewhere. It may be shared with other dialect in the fon or gbe speakers.

Trans-ethnic: this is the idea shared with other ethnics in the vicinity of the Gbe speakers such as the Yoruba and the other neighbors.

Inter-ethnic: this is common to the neighbors, such as the name Sango, which is deity in Yoruba but an adoptive name to initiates of votun in Egun.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 10:24pm On Jun 21, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

WOW!

It's possibly an idiom, though I don't know what that would mean. However the phrase means "ear for words".

Let's draw idea from Yoruba:

"Eleti gbaroye"

Then the idea is also found in "oro l'omo eletii je" or, "o leti ede": as in, "gbogbo sorosoro eranti eni moo gbo'

Ultimately, I will settle for Etiigbo, as we have it in the prayer points, Oluwa a funwa ni Etiigbo ati ayaagbase.

With that, the name now means "listening ears", or pliable character.

I think I let down my guard this once dealing with how Yoruba pronounces subtle Egun words.

Togbe
Tdogbe

The actual word is, "Idogbe", pronounce tdogbe in Egun. "Though-gbe" is much closer to the pronunciation than Togbe.

This word is an example of transethnic name, an idea shared with the Yoruba or derived from the Yoruba proper.

Idogbe is a name from twin series of names with the Yoruba. Taye, kehinde, Idowu, Alaba, Idogbe.

It's homonym for greetings with the Egun, as found in "A dthogbe mi ahoo", "acknowledge me? I care less".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 4:02pm On Jul 16, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

I think I let down my guard this once dealing with how Yoruba pronounces subtle Egun words.

Togbe
Tdogbe

The actual word is, "Idogbe", pronounce tdogbe in Egun. "Though-gbe" is much closer to the pronunciation than Togbe.

This word is an example of transethnic name, an idea shared with the Yoruba or derived from the Yoruba proper.

Idogbe is a name from twin series of names with the Yoruba. Taye, kehinde, Idowu, Alaba, Idogbe.

It's homonym for greetings with the Egun, as found in "A dthogbe mi ahoo", "acknowledge me? I care less".

Times without number, a word or clause can altogether means a thing in one language and turned out to be borrowed to another language, to the end that we loose the original meaning and now attain a new meaning in the adoptive language

A good example of this is "fondagbe". You may possibly have heard this in Yoruba colloquial without idea where it came from. Anyway, it means "awake in good spirits" in Egun, but the Yoruba has this for slang that someone is "no more"?

This is easy to understand. But the more subtle of this example is "gbekumayongan". We take this as insult for the skinny person. However, it's a wise crack in Egun language, meaning "nay, death is ignorant of who's the boss".

From tin-rin-gbeku, we slip into the clause and take the sentence at the face value for its near Yoruba interface, but underneath, it's a sequence of separate language entirely, saying something different from what it's thought to be.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by theTranslator: 4:50pm On Jul 16, 2021
Nice
I like Fon music and names kiss
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 4:53pm On Jul 16, 2021
theTranslator:
Nice
I like Fon music and names kiss

Their traditional songs in rural setting is African spiritual.

They're great folks.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by theTranslator: 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

They're great folks.
they are very spiritual

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 5:03pm On Jul 16, 2021
theTranslator:
they are very spiritual

Do you have a favorite musician from there?
Re: Sweet Egun Names by theTranslator: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

Do you have a favorite musician from there?
Angelique Kidjo!
The Legend herself (her mom is Yoruba too cool )
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Olu317(m): 5:11pm On Jul 16, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

They're great folks.
And their dance is dramatically energetic.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 5:23pm On Jul 16, 2021
theTranslator:

Angelique Kidjo!
The Legend herself (her mom is Yoruba too cool )

Very well. I don't know if truly her mom is from Yoruba. She typifies the beauty of the cultural tunes of her people.

As to her Yoruba root, the connection is always that, some Egun people place their ancestry few centuries ago in Yoruba land.

But the truth is, that connection could be thousand of years old. Although some are quite recent.

There's something between the historical Dahomey and Yoruba Ibadan, that's lost to history. Maybe we'll figure it out.

So, the Egun folks could reminisce about their Yoruba connection sometimes like Angelique Kidjo does.

Nowadays, the in-thing is to claim nobody comes from nobody, although it never changes the past.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2021
Olu317:
And their dance is dramatically energetic.

Yes bro, but I think that kind of dance is the equivalent of party dance. Shor, shor, shor, the energetic one they dance with the shoulder and hands swimming LOL.

That never impressed me from the world go.

They have variety of dance for other cultural fanfare. Well I don't have to lecture you about them for the fact that you've once lived in their country.

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by theTranslator: 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

Very well. I don't know if truly her mom is from Yoruba. She typifies the beauty of the cultural tunes of her people.

As to her Yoruba root, the connection is always that, some Egun people place their ancestry few centuries ago in Yoruba land.

But the truth is, that connection could be thousand of years old. Although some are quite recent.

There's something between the historical Dahomey and Yoruba Ibadan, that's lost to history. Maybe we'll figure it out.

So, the Egun folks could reminisce about their Yoruba connection sometimes like Angelique Kidjo does.

Nowadays, the in-thing is to claim nobody comes from nobody, although it never changes the past.

Dahomey kings and their Ahosi(kings wives) or Amazons troubled Oyo and Abeokuta

Her mom is Yoruba

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ang%C3%A9lique_Kidjo
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 7:18pm On Jul 16, 2021
theTranslator:

Dahomey kings and their Ahosi(kings wives) or Amazons troubled Oyo and Abeokuta

Her mom is Yoruba

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ang%C3%A9lique_Kidjo

Yes bro.

I'm a traditional historian. It's known that what we have as Abeokuta used to be Igbo-egun, the Yoruba are meant to have a name for the forest at the fringe of the boarder of their homeland.

Moreso, Alake is traditionally a subset of Alaketu: ketu is the closest Yoruba city state to the historic Dahomey. We know our history differently. Raiding Egba may not be all about enslavement.

It could be sacking Egba to expand the Dahomey empire into the frontier that both Yoruba and Dahomey have in common whereby the winner takes all.

Dahomey, like Egba were competing for the forest at the fringe of Ota. Hence the Ota are acclaimed "Iganmode afeleja, afikoti yanju Egba, afi panpandan yanju ketu.

Both Egba and Dahomey rise to the fall of the great Oyo empire and were competing for their survival as a budding city state.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by Olu317(m): 10:02pm On Jul 16, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

Yes bro, but I think that kind of dance is the equivalent of party dance. Shor, shor, shor, the energetic one they dance with the shoulder and hands swimming LOL.

That never impressed me from the world go.

They have variety of dance for other cultural fanfare. Well I don't have to lecture you about them for the fact that you've once lived in their country.
Yes and I did appreciate them because of their life style.

Give you car or motor lift without knowing you. They will park by your side in the morning and ask,where are you going in french! It is quite amazing. Just as my father told me about Western Nigeria, in the 60s and early 70s as the way we do.

Is it about their night life ? Oh lord! grin fun for me and anyone who has been in that Benin Republic. The place is extremely safe, without harassment anywhere.

A country that had system,which their system allow them do election with fair or favour. A presidential I witnessed without a single death and fair election.
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 8:48am On Jul 17, 2021
Olu317:
Yes and I did appreciate them because of their life style.

Give you car or motor lift without knowing you. They will park by your side in the morning and ask,where are you going in french! It is quite amazing. Just as my father told me about Western Nigeria, in the 60s and early 70s as the way we do.

Is it about their night life ? Oh lord! grin fun for me and anyone who has been in that Benin Republic. The place is extremely safe, without harassment anywhere.

A country that had system,which their system allow them do election with fair or favour. A presidential I witnessed without a single death and fair election.

On point bro, I just have the inkling that that's what you get in a country with less drive for personal wealth and the corruption that attends to it.

We are presently at that stage where we've finished the wealth of the nation and now the nation is about consuming the citizens. No love. This country is winding.

Imagine having to look to 70s as the most civil era in our modern history. Isn't that epic? We failed as a country because love for self supercede that of the collective good of the entire citizenry.

I'm not holding brief for communism, the state owes her citizenry sustainable institutions that can foster their civil and economic lot and make life easier for all.

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by rhektor(m): 11:07am On Jul 17, 2021
absoluteSuccess:

On point bro, I just have the inkling that that's what you get in a country with less drive for personal wealth and the corruption that attends to it.

We are presently at that stage where we've finished the wealth of the nation and now the nation is about consuming the citizens. No love. This country is winding.

Imagine having to look to 70s as the most civil era in our modern history. Isn't that epic? We failed as a country because love for self supercede that of the collective good of the entire citizenry.

I'm not holding brief for communism, the state owes her citizenry sustainable institutions that can foster their civil and economic lot and make life easier for all.

On the last part of this comment

Even if we have president and governors from heaven, they will still need to be supported by people who are in various parastatal, MDAs, civil servants etc these are everyday Nigerians that we meet. They are full of corrupt citizens. It is still this same corrupt citizens that destroy the country today. We only love to shift blames. Granted that politicians are bunch of thieves, the citizens are no different as the politicians are a product of the society. All our religious institutions are are complicit in the mess plaguing the country. Our value system is a total mess. The Yorùbá that used to pride ourselves as ọmọlúwàbí no longer has/ show the characteristics of the so-called ọmọlúwàbí. Everything is about how much one has, how much people can get from you. If you no get money you're a nobody in fact nobody send you
Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 6:42pm On Jul 17, 2021
rhektor:

On the last part of this comment

Even if we have president and governors from heaven, they will still need to be supported by people who are in various parastatal, MDAs, civil servants etc these are everyday Nigerians that we meet. They are full of corrupt citizens. It is still this same corrupt citizens that destroy the country today. We only love to shift blames. Granted that politicians are bunch of thieves, the citizens are no different as the politicians are a product of the society. All our religious institutions are are complicit in the mess plaguing the country. Our value system is a total mess. The Yorùbá that used to pride ourselves as ọmọlúwàbí no longer has/ show the characteristics of the so-called ọmọlúwàbí. Everything is about how much one has, how much people can get from you. If you no get money you're a nobody in fact nobody send you

Very accurate view of the matter. We're not going anywhere very fast. Nigerians feels that the little they do for wrong never had any effect whatsoever on the polity at large, but it's butterfly effect, nature accumulate all the wrongdoing and release it to us with compound interest.

Let's imagine a people consuming the wealth of their country without replacement. When the wealth is exhausted, the poverty that takes over will equally consume the people.

Ignorance of aftereffect of such precarious way of life is not a bailout. The military were not imported soldiers, the politicians were not colonial masters, but they were not different from such, if not worst.

Nigerians never truly became nationalistic because of the lopsidedness of our way of thinking and suspicions we all habour for one another. For the lost opportunities, one is tempted to think that we can never have the miracle in this generation.

The faultline is widening day by day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Egun Names by chigozieduru: 7:57am On Jul 18, 2021
Bonjour a tous!

Thanks to the OP absoluteSuccess and other contributors for keeping this thread alive. I have learnt quite a lot from the pages. I was wondering if we have any francophone (french) Fongbe speakers here on this thread please?

I have some idea but what is the meaning of:
1. Enan tche nou we kaka =
2. Mi kinklin =
3. Eyon =

Merci beacoup! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Re: Sweet Egun Names by absoluteSuccess: 9:15am On Jul 18, 2021
chigozieduru:
Bonjour a tous!

Thanks to the OP absoluteSuccess and other contributors for keeping this thread alive. I have learnt quite a lot from the pages. I was wondering if we have any francophone (french) Fongbe speakers here on this thread please?

I have some idea but what is the meaning of:
1. Enan tche nou we kaka =
2. Mi kinklin =
3. Eyon =

Merci beacoup! Thanks a lot!

You are welcome brother. There might be, one can't always tell. Here are the meaning to your enqiuries about the language.

1. It shall be well with you perpetually.

2. ?? Possibly stooling related

3. It is well.

God bless you sir.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Traditional Attire Of Kuteb People / Shahida Sanusi, Abdul Baba Ahmed, Her Husband And Their Daughter (Photos) / Saliu Adetunji, The Next Olubadan, He Was Promoted 3 Weeks Ago!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.