Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution (29167 Views)

President Buhari Meets With Ministers And Governors In Aso Rock (Photos) / Section 181 Of Nigeria Constitution: Death Of Governor Before Oath Of Office / Worst Performing Governors According To CGPI October Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
leksy07:
Following the dubious suggestion by Senator Dino Melaye that at least two Senators from the state of origin of a ministerial nominee must endorse the nominee to pass the ministerial screening, we decided to do a research on the matter. We found four pertinent provisions in the constitution and one Senate Standing Rule relating to appointment and screening of ministers. None of these laws referred to the compulsory endorsement of a nominee by at least two Senators from the nominee’s state of origin. Our investigation focused on sections 147(1-3, 6) of the constitution, and section 120 of the Senate Standing Rules. For ease of readership, we have endeavoured to explain these laws into three parts as discussed below:

Part 1: Section 147 of the Constitution:

(1) “There shall be such offices of Ministers of the Government of the Federation as may be established by the President.”

(2) “Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.”

(3) “Any appointment under subsection (2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section 14(3) of this Constitution:-

Provided that in giving effect to the provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each State, who shall be an indigene of such State.”

(6) “An appointment to any of the offices aforesaid shall be deemed to have been made where no return has been received from the Senate within twenty-one working days of the receipt of nomination by the Senate.”

Part 2: The Senate Standing Rules:

Section 120: “That the Senate shall not consider the nomination of any person, who has held any public office as contained in Part 2 of the Fifth Schedule of the Constitution prior to his nomination unless there is a written evidence that he has declared his assets and liabilities as required by Section 11(1) of Part 1 of the Fifth Schedule of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; such declaration shall be required for scrutiny by the senators.”

Part 3: Explaining the legal jargon:

Section 147(1) is the relevant section of the Nigerian constitution that empowers the President to appoint ministers in the first instance. Section 147(2) stipulates that the President’s nominees as ministers shall be confirmed by the Senate. Section 147(3) stipulates that the President should appoint at least one minister from each of the 36 states of the federation. Even though Section 147(3) empowers the Senate to confirm the President’s nominations, section 147(6) empowers the President to ratify the nominees if the Senate fails to confirm them after 21 days of submission of their names to the Senate.

The constitution has clearly favoured the President over the Senate in this matter. This explains why the Bukola Saraki cabal in the Senate has been restless, and misleading the public about an illegal compulsory endorsement of a nominee by two Senators of the nominee’s state of origin. Note that when Dino Melaye addressed the press regarding this issue on Thursday (29/9/2015), he explained sections 147(1-3). However, section 147(6) was conspicuously missing from his explanation.

Despite the fact that the Senate President himself is at the Code of Conduct Tribunal for grandeur theft, money laundering and failure to declare his assets, which makes him hardly a role model for the ministers, for the sake of transparency, integrity and accountability of the screening process, we the masses strongly endorse a strict enforcement of section 120 of the Senate Standing Rules eluded to above.

We however reject the preposterous suggestion that the nominees must be endorsed by at least two Senators from their state of origin. We contend that imposing this bogus condition under the current political climate will simply introduce avenues for bribery, corruption, and unnecessary delay ratifying the ministers.

May God save Nigeria and Nigerians. Amen.

SOURCE>>>> https://cupsnigeria./2015/10/11/learn-about-screening-ministers-according-to-the-constitution-of-the-federal-republic/

All these foolishness just to make a case for Amaechi which in your heart of hearts you know is corrupt and should be in jail. You want him to be a Minister because of political sentiments. Hypocrisy in its highest form.

May God save NIGERIA from people like you.

4 Likes

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by tempest01(m): 10:46pm On Oct 20, 2015
G
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by FlyboyZee: 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2015
egift:
With Senate not sitting tomorrow, Chibuike Amaechi will automatically become a Minister of the Federal Republic.

Sai Amaechi. Wailers how far? grin grin grin grin grin
I am getting pissed now.
Must Amaechi become a Minister?
Is it a do or die matter to become a Minister of the Federal Republic?
Is Amaechi the only Nigerian alive today that is qualified to be a Minister?
What's wrong with y'all?
OMG! This country is finished if becoming a Minister (an apron string or rather noisemaker) has reached a do or die level...

3 Likes

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by BALLOSKI: 10:51pm On Oct 20, 2015
Jayne2014:

Bros, 21 working days from September 30th 2015 is 30th October 2015. Please note that I am neither APC nor PDP. Just stating the fact.
people that make the statement ended up being partisan along the line, are you different?

1 Like

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by BALLOSKI: 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2015
FlyboyZee:

I am getting pissed now.
What's wrong with y'all?
OMG! This country is finished if becoming a Minister (an apron string or rather noisemaker) has reached a do or die level...
he must become a minister, atleast to spite the opposition.

1 Like

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by igala1(m): 10:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
The issue here is this; Saraki is under pressure& would loss vote of confidence should Ekweremadu be allowed to preside in his absence. If he's indicted by the CCT & continue to prospone the screening he'd loss further vote of confidence. Unfortunately, he can't get the house to agree returning Amaechi unconfirmed as it stands now. Soon the "core" northern Senate caucus would see his attitude as an affront on the executive powers of the Presidency. He had no real issues before now until Amaechi came into the equation. He must demonstrate how big his balls are to sustain his gavel. Touch not my anointed........

2 Likes

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by BamideleOJ: 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2015
As far I am concerned I support the senators from the nominee state endorsement thing. It's only the failure of our representatives to be true reps that's not really good but as representatives i.e senators that should speak the ppl's mind and opinions.
Is the constitution that perfect or must say all before our initiative can work??
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by journerman(m): 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2015
No offence, but I can't make sense out of this

tinkinjow:
section 147(6) empowers the President to ratify the
nominees if the Senate fails to confirm them after 21 days of
submission of their names to the Senate.

Not that simple.

My friend stop twisting facts, I'm no lawyer but law to a very large extent is a readable subject.
The constitution did not say if the Senate fails to confirm just like that but if it fails to return the nominee - "....where no return has been received..." that ll imply for whatever reason the senate couldn't communicate its stand on any nominee to the president.

So in the event of a return being made, the nominee stands rejected and the president has no power at all other than send a new nominee. Simple.
Why do I feel u r the one trying to confuse people here.

and on the issue of two consenting senators from a nominee state, whether that actually take place or not, when the senate returns a nominee, it does so as the Senate as a whole and not as two senators, especially where it is not explicitly stated (as i assume) what numbers is required to confirm a nominee.
It ll be difficult to prove in court that a nominee was rejected by two senators except majority of them follow u to court or by signature.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by Onasa22: 10:59pm On Oct 20, 2015
We are patiently waiting for the outcome
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by emekatimsu(m): 11:06pm On Oct 20, 2015
since rivers ppl dont want Amaechi to represent there slot as Minister,i will suggest any of the northern state who are so much in love with Amaechi should just simply adopt him to represent there slot. Case closed
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by Jayne2014(f): 11:11pm On Oct 20, 2015
BALLOSKI:
people that make the statement ended up being partisan along the line, are you different?
Bros, I am not partisan like you. You can check my few posts. Good night.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by onyeka205(m): 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2015
The constitution says that the ministerial nominees must be at least one from each of the 36 states of the federations. This implies that two of the three senators from each state must confirm that such nominee is from their state. This is the legal implication and interpretation of that section of the constitution.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by ronaldbecky(m): 11:14pm On Oct 20, 2015
yanabasee:

I had wanted creating a thread on this... But have been too busy.

The quoted part isn't supposed to be taken lightly..
The Buhari's led administration promised us that it'll follow due constitutional process to give Nigerians a better leadership.

This is very annoying with the constitution which is set aside to guide this country is being manipulated by criminals to favour them.

This are the same people telling the country it's fight against corruption, But yet engulfed much corruption than the previous administration.

Same APC kogi aspirant asked Nigerians to vote for him before he could pay back his looted money. Isn't this the height of it all? Why chasing other people and shielding your families alone?

On a serious note! I don't hate Buhari... But I am not buying his dullness.... He's too dull and incapable!
ya mama, go die
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by BALLOSKI: 11:17pm On Oct 20, 2015
Jayne2014:

Bros, I am not partisan like you. You can check my few posts. Good night.
Nawa ooo. Maybe u didn't see that I was asking you a question. I mean you'd end up being partisan very soon cos that's how you ladies start your adventure on this forum.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by igala1(m): 11:20pm On Oct 20, 2015
onyeka205:
The constitution says that the ministerial nominees must be at least one from each of the 36 states of the federations. This implies that two of the three senators from each state must confirm that such nominee is from their state. This is the legal implication and interpretation of that section of the constitution.

Did your senators confirm your state of origin on papers you have submitted so far? An elected governor is above such craftiness.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by BALLOSKI: 11:21pm On Oct 20, 2015
yanabasee:

The Buhari's led administration promised us that it'll follow due constitutional process to give Nigerians a better leadership.

This is very annoying with the constitution which is set aside to guide this country is being manipulated by criminals to favour them.

This are the same people telling the country it's fight against corruption, But yet engulfed much corruption than the previous administration.

Same APC kogi aspirant asked Nigerians to vote for him before he could pay back his looted money. Isn't this the height of it all? Why chasing other people and shielding your families alone?

On a serious note! I don't hate Buhari... But I am not buying his dullness.... He's too dull and incapable!
maybe you didn't get the joke in this statement and you take it seriously.

How can someone who got 16.8 billion naira from FG be said to have looted 11 billion naira after his projects in the state and payment of salaries to workers?
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by lomprico(m): 11:24pm On Oct 20, 2015
FlyboyZee:

I am getting pissed now.
What's wrong with y'all?
This matter only proves that this present govt dont have any plans to curb corruption, they are here to loot as d past govt did. Amechi stole rivers money to bribe electorates for buhari to win apc primaries, he stole more for his campaign and its only natural for d party to reward its loyalist with juicy positions but in this case for all d wrong reasons.
Buhari must settle amechi and thus amechi must be made a minister. And that will mark as d beginning to the end of d so called fight against corruption.
Fuçk nigeria!
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by FACTUALLYE(m): 11:26pm On Oct 20, 2015
onyeka205:
u can interprete constitution o. Guy plz read d provision 20 tyms again...
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by phemray(m): 11:30pm On Oct 20, 2015
There are no assumptions in d constitution 4 all I know. Some1 shld clear d difference btw 21 days and 21 working days pls. Abi d constitution no recorgnised saturdays n sundays. Meanwhile is WORKING days stated in dat. Section of d constitution?
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by lastpage: 11:39pm On Oct 20, 2015
onyeka205:

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by Rexology: 11:54pm On Oct 20, 2015
@OP why did you consciously omit the Section 147 (5)? perhaps it does not sooth you right? Unfortunately you can only omit it in citation, but you can't erase it from the constitution. For further reading, you may wish to visit section 66(1)(h).

Infact to be honest with you, if Amaechi is made a Minister at the end of all these dramas, it would raise some constitutional questions that must be tested in the Supreme court. The Senate is only trying to be careful in other not to go against the Constitution in respect to Anaechi's matter, hence the delay in his confirmation.
Politics and Politicians have rendered our Constitution ineffective.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by vision2050: 12:22am On Oct 21, 2015
I'm confused about this governmentcry
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by MrMann1(m): 12:27am On Oct 21, 2015
Knowledge is power... Thanks OP... Dem no born them to try crap with Baba.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by MrMann1(m): 12:31am On Oct 21, 2015
Rexology:
Section 147 (5)?
plss quote the part
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by BlackAlbino6(m): 2:40am On Oct 21, 2015
walozanga:
Our quanstitution is ok..bt to follow am be the wahala
Can't stop laughinggringrin
Bad guy.

1 Like

Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by DanielPop(m): 3:46am On Oct 21, 2015
Rubbish post meant to deceive those who found it "helpful"

"Where no return has been made" Take note that Senate rejection of Amaechi (if it so decides) and communicated to Buhari is a "return" which the President can't go against constitutionally! The president would have no option than to nominate someone else. Simples!

leksy07:
Following the dubious suggestion by Senator Dino Melaye that at least two Senators from the state of origin of a ministerial nominee must endorse the nominee to pass the ministerial screening, we decided to do a research on the matter. We found four pertinent provisions in the constitution and one Senate Standing Rule relating to appointment and screening of ministers. None of these laws referred to the compulsory endorsement of a nominee by at least two Senators from the nominee’s state of origin. Our investigation focused on sections 147(1-3, 6) of the constitution, and section 120 of the Senate Standing Rules. For ease of readership, we have endeavoured to explain these laws into three parts as discussed below:

Part 1: Section 147 of the Constitution:

(1) “There shall be such offices of Ministers of the Government of the Federation as may be established by the President.”

(2) “Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.”

(3) “Any appointment under subsection (2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section 14(3) of this Constitution:-

Provided that in giving effect to the provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each State, who shall be an indigene of such State.”

(6) “An appointment to any of the offices aforesaid shall be deemed to have been made where no return has been received from the Senate within twenty-one working days of the receipt of nomination by the Senate.”

Part 2: The Senate Standing Rules:

Section 120: “That the Senate shall not consider the nomination of any person, who has held any public office as contained in Part 2 of the Fifth Schedule of the Constitution prior to his nomination unless there is a written evidence that he has declared his assets and liabilities as required by Section 11(1) of Part 1 of the Fifth Schedule of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria; such declaration shall be required for scrutiny by the senators.”

Part 3: Explaining the legal jargon:

Section 147(1) is the relevant section of the Nigerian constitution that empowers the President to appoint ministers in the first instance. Section 147(2) stipulates that the President’s nominees as ministers shall be confirmed by the Senate. Section 147(3) stipulates that the President should appoint at least one minister from each of the 36 states of the federation. Even though Section 147(3) empowers the Senate to confirm the President’s nominations, section 147(6) empowers the President to ratify the nominees if the Senate fails to confirm them after 21 days of submission of their names to the Senate.

The constitution has clearly favoured the President over the Senate in this matter. This explains why the Bukola Saraki cabal in the Senate has been restless, and misleading the public about an illegal compulsory endorsement of a nominee by two Senators of the nominee’s state of origin. Note that when Dino Melaye addressed the press regarding this issue on Thursday (29/9/2015), he explained sections 147(1-3). However, section 147(6) was conspicuously missing from his explanation.

Despite the fact that the Senate President himself is at the Code of Conduct Tribunal for grandeur theft, money laundering and failure to declare his assets, which makes him hardly a role model for the ministers, for the sake of transparency, integrity and accountability of the screening process, we the masses strongly endorse a strict enforcement of section 120 of the Senate Standing Rules eluded to above.

We however reject the preposterous suggestion that the nominees must be endorsed by at least two Senators from their state of origin. We contend that imposing this bogus condition under the current political climate will simply introduce avenues for bribery, corruption, and unnecessary delay ratifying the ministers.

May God save Nigeria and Nigerians. Amen.

SOURCE>>>> https://cupsnigeria./2015/10/11/learn-about-screening-ministers-according-to-the-constitution-of-the-federal-republic/
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by Koleman(m): 4:37am On Oct 21, 2015
Why are guys disturbing yourselves. Amaechi will be confirmed! Thats why its called politics. The senators are only using amaechi as a bargaining chip.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by nobeku: 4:40am On Oct 21, 2015
yanabasee:

Your grandfather dere!!! Is your father 1/100 of Buhari?
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by repogirl(f): 4:45am On Oct 21, 2015
This endorsement thing na just avenue to chop money na..... They only form laws that benefit them. This my fake joke of a country! angry
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by Delafruita(m): 5:19am On Oct 21, 2015
tinkinjow:

Not that simple.

My friend stop twisting facts, I'm no lawyer but law to a very large extent is a readable subject.
The constitution did not say if the Senate fails to confirm just like that but if it fails to return the nominee - "....where no return has been received..." that ll imply for whatever reason the senate couldn't communicate its stand on any nominee to the president.

So in the event of a return being made, the nominee stands rejected and the president has no power at all other than send a new nominee. Simple.

and on the issue of two consenting senators from a nominee state, whether that actually take place or not, when the senate returns a nominee, it does so as the Senate as a whole and not as two senators, especially where it is not explicitly stated (as i assume) what numbers is required to confirm a nominee.
It ll be difficult to prove in court that a nominee was rejected by two senators except majority of them follow u to court or by signature.
the law isn't difficult to interprete but at the same time,it shouldn't be interpreted literarily.wherever the constitution says "where no return has been received/made" it simply means where no response has been gotten,the action for which the response was sought can proceed.there cannot be a lacuna.so if the senate doesn't confirm or reject amaechi after 21 working days,the president can proceed to make him a minister.
It's the same with when the senate sends a bill for the president's assent,even if he witholds assent after 21days,the bill becomes law if after another round of debate on the floor of the senate it garners a 2/3 majority vote and the signature of the president isn't needed anymore.

Hope this explains it
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:19am On Oct 21, 2015
tinkinjow:

Not that simple.

You may be a lawyer, you shouldn't see your opinion on section 147 (6) as being express. It can be argued in a court of competent jurisdiction.
Re: Learn About Screening Ministers, According To The Nigeria Constitution by 989900: 6:32am On Oct 21, 2015
Have they declared their assets?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abdulmumin Jibrin Looking Exhausted During The Apc Primaries In Bebeji-pics / Sanwo-olu Commissions Oba Sekumade Concrere Road In Ikorodu / Subsidy Palliative: FG To Pay N5,000 To 10m Households For 6 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.