Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,334 members, 7,864,602 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:23 PM

Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi (840 Views)

Jonathan’s Statement That He’s Not Finished With Nigeria An Expensive Joke-muric / Osun State Is Now A Failed State. Received Only 55 Million In FG Allocation / OMG! International Disgrace- A Must Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by REALTRUTH1: 12:29am On Apr 29, 2009
Following the stalemate in the Ekiti re-run election, prominent Nigerians, including constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay, Pat Utomi, Senators Olorunnimbe Mamora and Ben Obi, Yinka Odumakin and Femi Falana, have concluded that there are signs of a failed state emanating from the country.

In his view, Prof. Sagay juxtaposed the Nigerian situation with that of Ghana, South Africa, Sierra Leone and Liberia, in terms of electoral priorities and arrived at the conclusion that Nigeria can be rated as a failed state, and as such, an international disgrace and embarrassment. The legal luminary, who spoke with P.M.NEWS at the First Abraham Adesanya Memorial Lecture, held in Lagos, yesterday, said, “South Africa is a larger country than Nigeria in terms of geography and here we cannot conduct an election. It is a national tragedy and honestly, we are beginning to show signs of a failed state, because a state that cannot conduct an election is going to fail. There is no two ways about that.”

Stressing the importance and usefulness of the report of the electoral reform panel at this critical period, he said the challenges currently faced by the country include lack of integrity on the part of those carrying out the reform. “Aside this, the Nigerian politician does not believe that there is a risk in going into politics. You can lose, but he is determined to win by hook or crook. “This is our culture. If they can conduct free and fair elections in Sierra Leone which was just coming out of war, then Nigeria is an international disgrace.

“Not only have we failed, most of us have given up. I am very depressed.” For the Vice Presidential candidate of the Action Congress in the April 2007 election, Ndi Ben Obi, only determination and courage on the part of the electorate could do justice to election malpractices in the country. According to him, Nigeria is gradually disappearing from international recognition owing to its shoddy handling of critical issues in the country.

To him: “the area where the voting is taking place is less than a senatorial district. Nigeria is gradually being cleaned out of the map of the world and until great minds that can replicate the virtues of Pa Adesanya are found again, we would remain flat on the ground with our belly.” Economist and presidential aspirant on the platform of the African Democratic Congress in the April 2007 election, Prof. Pat Utomi, said the Ekiti election debacle holds ominous signs for the country as Nigeria can no longer match other nations in terms of international respect.

Sounding philosophical in his submission, former speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly and currently a Senator, Olorunnimbe Mamora, claimed that both the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the politicians have deviated from their laid down rules of ensuring a successful election. “See the situation in Ekiti where you find people forcefully taking away ballot boxes and putting pressures on INEC to declare false results. These are not elements of democracy.

“It is a pity that we conducted elections in just about one-third of a state and yet, we are unable to get it right. “What is happening in Ekiti is a shame to this country as far as I am concerned,” Senator Mamora said. He called on Nigerians to start asking for the report of the Electoral Reform Panel headed by Justice Mohammed Uwais, adding that the interference with the provisions of the report was uncalled for. “Mr. President in his wisdom set up the panel and they went round the country and what they have come up with is what you can call the will of the people. All we need at the National Assembly is to fashion it into law and nothing more,” he said.

The Publicity Secretary of the Afenifere Renewal Group, Yinka Odumakin, told P.M.NEWS that, with what is happening in Ekiti, the country might be heading for war in 2011. He described the situation as a terrible contradiction of the ideals of the late leader of the Pan-Yoruba Socio-Political Organisation, Pa Abraham Adesanya. “If he were alive today, he would regret the state of mockery and shame that Nigeria has degenerated into.

“Ghana had three elections and the winner emerged without going to the tribunal. What a shame on Nigeria,” Odumakin said. He agreed that the electorate were becoming conscious daily as the Ekiti election experience shows; that the electorate are now ready to make themselves important in the political process. “If this could happen in Ekiti, then there would be war in 2011, if there are no free and fair elections in the country,” he told P.M.NEWS.

In his reaction, Femi Falana said: “Once again, the Independent National Electoral Commission has exposed Nigeria to ridicule before the comity of democratic nations by bungling the conduct of the re-run governorship election in 62 wards in Ekiti state on Saturday, 25 April, 2009. The shameful exercise has demonstrated beyond any shadow of doubt that an electoral body which cannot conduct a credible election in some wards in a state cannot be entrusted with the responsibility to conduct a fair and free general election in 2011.

“A simulated stalemate has occurred due to the refusal of the Peoples Democratic Party-led federal government to accept the legitimate decision of the Ekiti State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mrs. Ayoka Adebayo, to cancel the election in Oye Local Government on account of large-scale violence and the rejection of the illegal results smuggled into the collation centre at Ido Ekiti. “On Wednesday, 22 April, 2009, Professor Maurice Iwu, the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, had announced, at a press conference at Ado Ekiti, that the re-run election would be cancelled wherever there was violence.

“Having conceded that Mrs. Ayoka Adebayo, the Resident Electoral Commissioner, is the only competent authority to declare the winner of the election by virtue of Section 70 of the Electoral Act 2006, the press conference addressed by Professor Maurice Iwu and the three other members of the INEC on Monday, 27 April, 2009, was totally uncalled for. The statement credited to Professor Iwu that fresh re-run election will take place in Oye Local Government is illegal and unconstitutional.

“The directive of the presidency along the same line is equally illegal and unconstitutional. Since the Resident Electoral Commissioner has rejected the illegal results in one of the local governments, her decision cannot be varied by either the INEC chairman or president Yar’Adua in the circumstances. More so that the re-run election was cancelled in two polling units at Igede Ekiti in the Irepodun/Ifelodun Local Government on account of violence.”

Dignitaries who honoured the memorial lecture of the late Pa Adesanya included Obong Victor Attah, former governor of Akwa Ibom State; Reverend Father Matthew Kukah, who was the guest lecturer of the topic: Democracy, Legitimacy and the Struggle for Justice in Nigeria; leader of the Afenifere Renewal Group, Reuben Fasoranti; Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello; wife of former governor of Lagos state, Chief (Mrs.) Remi Tinubu. Others include Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu (retd), Air Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe and the President-General, Ohaneze Ndigbo and Ambassador Ralph Nwechie.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/04/28/nigeria-an-international-disgrace-%e2%80%94sagay-utomi
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by REALTRUTH1: 2:05am On Apr 30, 2009
Its a stale news,,,its been a failed state and has re-engineered its ability to continue to remain a failed state!
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Apr 30, 2009
In my opinion, Nigeria is not failed state. We just have a huge majority who care little about general success and development of the country.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by REALTRUTH1: 2:48am On Apr 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

In my opinion, Nigeria is not failed state. We just have a huge majority who care little about general success and development of the country.
Well you re right cos its ur personal opinion,,but I think am in this thesame opinion league with the likes of Utomi and Tunde Bakare who just made same assertion yesterday in a lecture to remember Chief Awolowo.
The only way you can solve a problem is by acknowledge you have a problem and thereby seeking for enabling solutions to deal with the problem.At the moment Nigeria is failed state and we should stop deceiving ourselves that its otherwise.Everything and almost everybody has failed the country,,,but if you tell me that Nigeria can get through this state of failure, I will agree with you on the condition that we would start doing what is right.We can not continue like this and expect that things would suddenly become good and fine.
Even very seriuos and responsible countries don't find it easy talkless of a country that lacks purpose in all its ramifications,
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Kobojunkie: 3:15am On Apr 30, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

Well you re right cos its ur personal opinion,,but I think am in this thesame opinion league with the likes of Utomi and Tunde Bakare who just made same assertion yesterday in a lecture to remember Chief Awolowo.
The only way you can solve a problem is by acknowledge you have a problem and thereby seeking for enabling solutions to deal with the problem. At the moment Nigeria is failed state and we should stop deceiving ourselves that its otherwise. Everything and almost everybody has failed the country,,,but if you tell me that Nigeria can get through this state of failure, I will agree with you on the condition that we would start doing what is right.We can not continue like this and expect that things would suddenly become good and fine.
Even very seriuos and responsible countries don't find it easy talkless of a country that lacks purpose in all its ramifications,

I don’t pretend to ignore the problems we have in that country; if anything, I believe things are worse than we actually know but I do not believe Nigeria is failed yet. However, it seems we are working hard to ensure it does.

Now, as for seeking enabling solutions, I think the focus should be more on ensuring we are ready for a solution. Most of the solutions to our problems are as simple as applying common sense. When you have a situation where common sense is rarely applied, then one ought to consider that maybe the people are not ready for change. Do we then force change on them? What would be the outcome of such an exercise? Would it benefit all in the long run?
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by blacksta(m): 7:08am On Apr 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Will every faculty or institution have to breakdown or ground to a halt before we can accept that Nigeria is a failed. What about trends for example if things carry on this way maybe it will confirm what we knew 5 years ago. in Somalia or Zimbabwe today some part of the government and financial institution are still functioning but it tagged a failed state.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Kobojunkie: 7:47am On Apr 30, 2009
Well, in Somali, and also in Zimbabwe, the populace have been brainwashed to the point that they majorly accept whatever is handed to them by their government. In Nigeria, you still have a large number who revolt and put down government every chance they can. Now, this is not to say that they do so in the most effective manner possible but they do revolt to some extent and so the people still have some power.

That does not seem to be in the case, however, in Zimbabwe, or Somalia. The people see their situation as being a hopeless one, so much so that they are willing to flee in large numbers to neighboring countries, rather than stand up to speak against the treatment they continue to get from their government. We are almost talking zombies here.

There is still hope for Nigeria and Nigerians and the solution to our problems at this point are not complex, so it is possible to turn things around in no time at all, if we wanted to. We already have an example in Lagos state. Don’t know if it is sustainable considering the people are yet to get actively involved in the process down there but it is definitely doable.

Bottom-line is that it all depends on the people and the level at which they are willing to be involved in their government. The more removed they become, the worse things are likely to get for us, but I am hopeful.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 30, 2009
I'm also hopeful, though majority of nigerians have not indicated their interest for change.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by presido1: 8:22am On Apr 30, 2009
Break Up or Go Back To Regional Government. Itz as simple as that otherwise we will continue to debate if Nigeria has failed or will soon fail.
When the center refuse to hold i believe we all know the out come.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Moonstone(f): 8:56am On Apr 30, 2009
These people are calling Nigeria a failed state and please what have they done to improve the country? Can they mention their own contributions to making Nigeria a successful state? I don't think Nigeria is a failed state. It is definitely not that condemned.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by blacksta(m): 9:01am On Apr 30, 2009
Moonstone:

These people are calling Nigeria a failed state and please what have they done to improve the country? Can they mention their own contributions to making Nigeria a successful state? I don't think Nigeria is a failed state. It is definitely not that condemned.

You are just contradicted yourself at what level of condemnation do you want . slightly condemned or average condemn . To other question i was running a printing firm in shomolu, Lagos with about 10 people working for me until it was ruined because of people's corruption
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Moonstone(f): 9:08am On Apr 30, 2009
blacksta:

You are just contradicted yourself at what level of condemnation do you want . slightly condemned or average condemn . To other question i was running a printing firm in shomolu, Lagos with about 10 people working for me until it was ruined because of people's corruption
I said this on the other thread - Nigeria is a FAILING state. I am not a fan of big people in power opening their mouths and criticizing Nigeria by calling it a failed state when they are the same people that are being corrupted and stealing our money. It's stupid to me because none of those senators can vouch that they keep completely clean sheets. If people are negative about the progress of their own country, how can others be positive? If Nigerian people believe that their state has failed, what is the use of fighting for it anyway?
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Kobojunkie: 9:35am On Apr 30, 2009
Moonstone:

What contribution would be considered good enough, and by whom? Isn't it enough that we contribute billions of dollars of our inheritance each year to building of the country yet we allow thieves to steal it all? Do you want the people to give up their kidney or something? Will that even be close to enough for the country?

We need to stop attacking each other and make up our minds as individuals to stand up for what we believe where we are. We are not all equal and so we should not pretend we ought to be, for change to come. Even the back seat warmers have a part to play when it comes to changing things.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Kobojunkie: 9:39am On Apr 30, 2009
Moonstone:

I said this on the other thread - Nigeria is a FAILING state. I am not a fan of big people in power opening their mouths and criticizing Nigeria by calling it a failed state when they are the same people that are being corrupted and stealing our money. It's stupid to me because none of those senators can vouch that they keep completely clean sheets. If people are negative about the progress of their own country, how can others be positive? If Nigerian people believe that their state has failed, what is the use of fighting for it anyway?

Nigerians are not idiots. They know right from wrong and NO, people do not need to think "Happy thoughts" all the times to change the world or the country. If you read through history, you would understand that even the critics, yes, the ones you condemn, have a part they play in all this. During the inquisition, it was the critics that helped turn things around. Nigerians are considered the happiest people on the planet yet all that happiness has yet to change the state of things for majority in that countryt. That there ought to clue us all in to the fact that all the positive/happy thoughts in the world will not save us if we do not choose to save ourselves.

By the way, do not try to feed me that load of bull that constructive criticism is the only form of criticism that works. Instead look back to history for answers to help correct that mindset.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by REALTRUTH1: 1:13pm On Apr 30, 2009
@kobojunkie: The assertion that Nigerians were or are the Happiest people on earth was actually given to insult the psyche of Nigerians.When that article came out,,the writer(s) were wondering how on earth could be people be so tolerant abd living in such a deplorable condition inspite of the fact that Nigeria was one of the key players in the oil industry in the world.
Its saddening to note that some people are using this as a basis to glorify or validate the reason that Nigerians are truly happy.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by beneli(m): 2:18pm On Apr 30, 2009
The statement that 'Nigerians are the happiest people on earth' was made from the perspective that 'only fools are truly happy'.
So, like Real Truth says, we were being insulted, not praised!

The really embarrasing thing, however, is that it passed above the head of so many people, just like they intended it to. This re-inforces their views about us that we are a people who seem to be oblivious of the fact that we are being taken for a ride, by our leaders; by the west; by everybody. No wonder they are always asking us to play drums, dance about-in all the glory of our traditional regalia-whenever dignataries from Abuja or visitors from abroad are around!

Yes. We are indeed the 'happiest people' on earth.
Re: Nigeria, An International Disgrace And A Failed State’—sagay, Utomi by Moonstone(f): 6:09pm On Apr 30, 2009
Kobojunkie:

What contribution would be considered good enough, and by whom? Isn't it enough that we contribute billions of dollars of our inheritance each year to building of the country yet we allow thieves to steal it all? Do you want the people to give up their kidney or something? Will that even be close to enough for the country?

We need to stop attacking each other and make up our minds as individuals to stand up for what we believe where we are. We are not all equal and so we should not pretend we ought to be, for change to come. Even the back seat warmers have a part to play when it comes to changing things.
My point exactly! If you're going to sit down and criticize your country, play your own part. Everyone has to do something to contribute to their country. It took only a few people to build America or England the way it is now. A few influential power figures and optimism by its people can turn that country around. There are more problems underlying their notion of a failed state. When a country is together by force and not by choice, you tend to have a lot problems such as these. We're so divided we can't even see past our tiniest problems.
I don't need people to give up their kidneys, I just need people to do what they have to do. It starts on a small scale and can blow up from there. I wish more people would have more hope about their country and if they feel like they can make a difference, they should go into Politics and try.
Kobojunkie:

Nigerians are not idiots. They know right from wrong and NO, people do not need to think "Happy thoughts" all the times to change the world or the country. If you read through history, you would understand that even the critics, yes, the ones you condemn, have a part they play in all this. During the inquisition, it was the critics that helped turn things around. Nigerians are considered the happiest people on the planet yet all that happiness has yet to change the state of things for majority in that countryt. That there ought to clue us all in to the fact that all the positive/happy thoughts in the world will not save us if we do not choose to save ourselves.

By the way, do not try to feed me that load of bull that constructive criticism is the only form of criticism that works. Instead look back to history for answers to help correct that mindset.
Nigerians are not idiots? - I did not imply that in any way, shape or form. This has nothing to do with being happy. I am not expecting us to be happy in order to change our country. I'm expecting us to put our words and hopes into practice. Positive is NOT being happy. It's about thinking in a way that signifies all your efforts can come to fruition. If someone is positive, he/she will not go into any project thinking - "It has failed already" or "There's nothing I can do to make this work". Our happiness as Nigerians come from our love of religion. Unfortunately, that happiness cannot be transformed into a form of politics that can actually help our country.

I'm not saying only constructive criticism works but please if we have to take a ratio of constructive criticisms to destructive criticisms that Nigerians have offered the people, I can bet my money on it that for every constructive comment one prominent Nigerian makes, there are 10 destructive criticisms. What is the use of destructive criticism if it would not work. After all Military has done to us, people are still wishing to go back to that era. Nigerians don't learn their lessons a lot of times. That is why we are not stable. We keep thinking the grass is greener on the other side. When we're under Military rule, we're thinking about how great democracy is and when we're in a democratic regime, we're thinking about how much better Military is. Why can't we just take what we have, criticize and then actually put it into action?

(1) (Reply)

Companies Count The Cost Of Kidnapping In Nigeria / Fashola’s Government At Two; Indeed A Resounding Success Story / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.