Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. (38017 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by queenfav(f): 2:21pm On Oct 16, 2015
My joy knew no bounds when my landlord's wife called a lawyer she once worked with to get me an interview appointment with his firm. Despite my tiredness after the POP ceremony, I managed to wake up early to get there by 8.am. My hopes were high with the possibility of getting a job barely 24hrs after POP. That's how I waited till 10.am o, before the man showed up. He ushered me into his office, and the interview began.

First off, I pride myself as a lady who dresses decently both for corporate and for casual occasions. So, this wasn't a case of immoral dressing on my part. That's how the managing partner interviewing me started looking at me to the point of me wondering if something was amiss. The next thing he said was, "you look really smart, and pretty. I like you already counsel."I just mumbled "thank you Sir". As a lawyer, he asked some pretty tough scenario based questions, which I scaled through by giving my legal opinion. He then asked for my credentials, which I proceeded to give him. That was when the man proceeded to leave his seat and placed his hand on my shoulder. I was so pertrified! I shook free and he got the message that he should keep his hands to his damn self.

The interview then took a personal turn. He started asking about my relationship status. I quickly responded that I was engaged. His reply was "me too am married, can't you see my ring", I like you a lot...you are a very pretty lady. I am sure a lot of judges are fighting over you in this state. Your credentials are great, you seem smart, just my kind of woman..what if I want to date you?". I was so shocked!! That was when I told him straight off that I don't date married guys, let alone one who may become my boss. Also that I am in a very committed relationship and don't condole cheating. He was a bit stunned, but took it in good faith. He asked a few other questions before ending the interview, saying his other partners would interview me on monday, that's when I will know if I am getting the job.

This experience left me very shocked and sad, that an interviewer would blatantly ask me out. Whatever happened to work ethics and morality? I just hope I don't get experiences like this again. Its very insulting and demeaning to say the least. Please, Nigerian men this is so wrong. A woman should be interviewed and hired for her brains and academic intellect, not because she is pretty and you just want a new plaything. I was so close to insulting him, I just had to keep calm and address the issue in a very firm way. May God help all female jobseekers o. If there's anything I am not ready to do is to sleep with any man, because he is in a position to give me a job. Not after 6 years invested into my legal career. Not now, not ever!

244 Likes 21 Shares

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hmm

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hmm

2 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by SirDavico(m): 2:33pm On Oct 16, 2015
You did the right thing. Keep it up!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by kinibigdeal(m): 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2015
I wouldn't advice you go back there even after getting another call up.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by henribj(m): 2:41pm On Oct 16, 2015
next time when going for a job interview dont use make up, dont dress smartly grin
#justsaying

18 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by queenfav(f): 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
kinibigdeal:
I wouldn't advice you go back there even after getting another call up.
My brother,I was so down when I got home,that I just had to tell my fiance everything because he sensed my counternance.There's definitely no way am going back there.Because my guess is,he will not stop asking me out.Its just so depressing for me.I just want to work and be appreciated for my intellect,not to become oga's bed warmer.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by queenfav(f): 2:49pm On Oct 16, 2015
henribj:
next time when going for a job interview dont use make up, dont dress smartly grin
#justsaying
lol..guy everyone knows lawyers are meant to dress smartly.A client or firm looking to hire you assesses you first by your dress sense.They wouldn't want to hire someone who looks shabby.Infact,lawyers who dress shabbilly are either percieved as unsuccessful or not smart enough.That's because the profession is all about a good image and charisma.Besides,my makeup was very minimal.So make I go on deeper life level for the interview,then when am resuming work,I will turn up looking sharp?The toasting will still take place na.Men who are He-goats just don't know where to draw the line professionally.If they even interview a goat wearing a skirt suit,they will still make a move regardless.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by henribj(m): 2:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
queenfav:
lol..guy everyone knows lawyers are meant to dresss smartly.A client or firm looking to hire you is looking out for that.Infact,lawyers who dress shabbilly are mostly unsuccesful because the profession is all about a good image and charisma.Besides,my makeup was very minimal.So make I go on deeper life level for the interview,then when am resuming work,I will turn up looking sharp?The toasting will still take place na.Men who are He-goats just don't know where to draw the line professionally.If they even interview a goat wearing a skirt suit,they will still make a move regardless.

if u dress like deeper life and you get the job, then when you resume you dress ur normal way, if them like make them toast heaven & earth e no concern u, u don get the job be say u don get am
#justsaying

5 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by famola(m): 2:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
may GOD bless u, and give you a wonderful job.for any man doing this, he his sowing seed that will destroy is children life&feature.

2 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by spinna: 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2015
Unfortunate, being a lawyer he shouldave not been so crass..wish u recorded the conv just to shame his desperate ass

3 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by queenfav(f): 2:56pm On Oct 16, 2015
henribj:

if u dress like deeper life and you get the job, then when you resume you dress ur normal way, if them like make them toast heaven & earth e no concern u, u don get the job be say u don get am
#justsaying
That would make the workplace very uncomfortable for me.Plus,once a boss has asked a lady out,he starts criticizing her work,treating her with disrespect just because she turned him down.How can I be at my best professionally in that kind of tense atmosphere?

31 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by henribj(m): 2:57pm On Oct 16, 2015
queenfav:
That would make the workplace very uncomfortable for me.Plus,once a boss has asked a lady out,he starts criticizing her work,treating her with disrespect just because she turned him down.How can I be at my best professionally in that kind of tense atmosphere?

hmm, what else can I say?
who no like better thing?
Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by queenfav(f): 3:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
spinna:
Unfortunate, being a lawyer he shouldave not been so crass..wish u recorded the conv just to shame his desperate ass
My dear,that's the way most of them behave.A lot of young female lawyers can attest to that.I once called my former boss to help me get a job with a SAN,he just told me,'that man won't let you rest till he sleeps with you,I know him very well'.That's how I just killed the thought of working with the SAN.

8 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by kinibigdeal(m): 3:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
queenfav:
My brother,I was so down when I got home,that I just had to tell my fiance everything because he sensed my counternance.There's definitely no way am going back there.Because my guess is,he will not stop asking me out.Its just so depressing for me.I just want to work and be appreciated for my intellect,not to become oga's bed warmer.

Exactly my point. No too bother, you will get a better offers elsewhere

2 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
Every female job seeker, in my opinion has faced this same situation at one time or the other.

My first experience of such was on completing my bsc, I stated looking for a place to gain some working experience since I knew that we won't be mobilized till after about 9months.

I got referred to this man by a bank manager.

During the interview he got personal and started the 'are you free to hang out later' talk. I made sure to tell him I usually spend my free time with my fiancé. And he still went on. He even made an attempt to tempt me with salary and said Ishould come next day to a hotel.
So people now pick up job letters in the hotel. That was how I left there and forgot about it.

Things like this come up everyday. Don't let it affect your search for a job. Because the experience can be really discouraging and devastating.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Atmmachine(m): 4:49pm On Oct 16, 2015
Just answer this question.
Is your fiance the only one you have give your pusssy to ??
If your answer is "NO"
Why can't you give it to this interviewer and get a good job ?? Others have been pounding you for free.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 16, 2015
THE COURT HAS TAKEN JUDICIAL NOTICE

NEXT...

8 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by MadCow1: 4:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
Dear OP...

Sorry about your experience..

That's what you should expect everytime you apply to small and sole proprietor businesses. Especially small Chambers. Women and girls in the job market will tell you much more tales.

Anyways, keep your head up and keep applying. Target the bigger firms and insha Allah it will be well.

6 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by akike: 4:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
queenfav:

What about doing his ass for sexual harassment?

4 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by socialmediaman: 4:51pm On Oct 16, 2015
Edited: Well this is something that happens in developing countries, not just about Nigerian men. It happens in colleges, work places, job interviews and everywhere where professionalism is expected, it is condemnable, but the interesting thing is, if you're qualified, a serious employer will give you the job for the sake of his company, that usually supersedes personal sexual desires in most cases.

The problem is that law enforcement does nothing in these countries when these cases are reported, and many ladies submit into the sexual harrasment when they're not confident in their abilities or when morals are lacking or flexible

That being said, I think there's something the legislature can do about sexual harrasment of instances like this.. But if we're to realistically eliminate this problem in the society, law enforcement must begin to be more responsive to issues like this and ladies must continue to stand their grounds, report these cases and also let the men know that pleasure and business should be kept separate. Government alone cannot solve this problem if the citizens care less about it, many reforms in developed countries were carried out by activism from the people.

6 Likes

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Dindondin(m): 4:51pm On Oct 16, 2015
i ll comment after reading
Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by akike: 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2015
jesussaves22:
Na so women take the get job ooh. Or how do you think women gets job with their block head

Aren't we talking from experience? Your mum must be a grade A block head.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by sotall(m): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
ok
Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by Sexyolori(f): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
@Op, it's sad that a number of ladies face this kind of battle on a regular basis in the course of their search for a means to earn a living. Men look away from your qualifications to what you can offer sexually. its a good thing you made your stand clear early enough so that if he goes ahead to give you the job he will know that you are off limits.
If you still don't get the job, it's ok. the best is always in the future. Cheers Hun...

1 Like

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by pretydiva(f): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
Way 2 go girl. I'm so proud of u

1 Like

Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by wellmax(m): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2015
Story of a job seeker
Re: My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. by tunwumi: 4:54pm On Oct 16, 2015
N

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Skye. Bank / Without A Job Yet? This Is How You Can Earn Income Monthly Easily / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.