Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) (31303 Views)

PHCN Staff Loses Both Arms After Being Electrocuted While On Official Duty. PICS / 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs / PHCN Staff Electrocuted In Ikeja Due To Lack Of Safety Equipment(Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 17, 2015
Zikkyfuse:
[img]http://3.bp..com/-QB5S_ZY7qh4/ViIAOc2uGAI/AAAAAAAAALA/ms7H85jtGA4/s400/Photo0165.jpg[/img]

Tuesday, October 13, was a horrible day for a staff of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company and his family as he was electrocuted while doing his job.

According to the eye witness who sent in the photos, the young man whose name is unknown at the moment, came with his crew and started work. In less than 10 minutes that he started working, Power was restored. A load shout was heard by all that were around there and when the looked up to see what happened, they found the man in that position.

According to another eye witness, it took about 30 minutes to get him down from that height, after which he was taken to the hospital. Information reaching me today says the man died that same day.

What a loss... Is this a case of carelessness or wickedness?

A closer view of the picture below

Source:
http://www.chuzzyblog.com/2015/10/bedc-staff-electrocuted-while-doing-his.html

cc:
lalasticlala
RIP. MY PEOPLE SAY: NA WATIN PERSON DEY WORK NA E DEY KILL AM.....
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by provostmk(m): 9:24am On Oct 17, 2015
Eeyyyaaa, R.I.P
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Olukat(m): 9:25am On Oct 17, 2015
When will these companies start treating their workers as humans?
Do you mean he went up there without PPE(Personal protective equipment)?
The family should do the needful sad sad
RIP to the dead
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by avalontony(m): 9:25am On Oct 17, 2015
The idiot that restored power to that area should be prosecuted.

No wonder one guy like that always call them baboon and monkeys.......we are in the zoo indeed.
RIP to the dead.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by cardoctor(m): 9:27am On Oct 17, 2015
Zikkyfuse:
[img]http://3.bp..com/-QB5S_ZY7qh4/ViIAOc2uGAI/AAAAAAAAALA/ms7H85jtGA4/s400/Photo0165.jpg[/img]

Tuesday, October 13, was a horrible day for a staff of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company and his family as he was electrocuted while doing his job.

According to the eye witness who sent in the photos, the young man whose name is unknown at the moment, came with his crew and started work. In less than 10 minutes that he started working, Power was restored. A load shout was heard by all that were around there and when the looked up to see what happened, they found the man in that position.

According to another eye witness, it took about 30 minutes to get him down from that height, after which he was taken to the hospital. Information reaching me today says the man died that same day.

What a loss... Is this a case of carelessness or wickedness?

A closer view of the picture below

Source:
http://www.chuzzyblog.com/2015/10/bedc-staff-electrocuted-while-doing-his.html

cc:
lalasticlala

Just a look at these tangled spider webs of electric cables. You must be on a suicide mission to attempt any repairs on these poles.

Cant blame the poor man. He has to "survive" working in conditions without a Health and Safety standard or policies.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 17, 2015
D man receive spiritual healing naa
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Aidro(m): 9:28am On Oct 17, 2015
Another CUTED one! RIP n' to the bereaved family, my condolence.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Intendy: 9:32am On Oct 17, 2015
its too bad.
something similar happened sometimes ago,so I expect any official to take enough precautionary measures but all in all, them fit dey do am
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by jascon1(m): 9:33am On Oct 17, 2015
Negligence, missing PPE (rubber gloves, arc flash clothing's), inadequate training and experience, maybe poor eyesight or medical condition, poor work method. The organisation needs to be seriously blamed. The family of the deceased could make a fortune if they got a brave n undaunted lawyer.

Why have to climb heights all times? Substations n RCDs can help trips. Why no insulation at the maintenance access areas? With the high trends of technology, can we eliminate frequent access at that height?
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Uchwilliam(m): 9:35am On Oct 17, 2015
dem 4 pull d ladder na so dat d guy will fall
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Charles4075(m): 9:36am On Oct 17, 2015
funkiebully:
Benin witches
Haba, how witch take get hand for this mess na. The guy was simply ignorant. R.I.P. to him.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by LockDown69(m): 9:36am On Oct 17, 2015
Occupational hazard, RIP
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by sweetgala(m): 9:37am On Oct 17, 2015
buzquet:
The rate way electric and fire dey kill people this days, mhen! I hope it's not our leader ther use AL this incidents for their rituals?

Meanwhile, RIP to the DEAD

I no know say na how FTC dey feel be this ooooooo!

E Don Sure die say na today I go finish Nairabet Company.

#MYTICKETGOCOMETODAY

Nigeria is a country with poor safety controls. I'm sure no accident report would be conducted by the BEDC as to why this young man was electrocuted, no one would be charged for failure to follow system controls that lead to his death.

I feel like people who want be to come take an engineering job in naija don't love me.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by destinysaid(m): 9:38am On Oct 17, 2015
Sijo01:

Make your comment and stay off my mention.
take a chill pill lady.... tongue
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by phlame(m): 9:38am On Oct 17, 2015
Old Picture
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Sappyman(m): 9:42am On Oct 17, 2015
The man killed himself. He should have known the ethics of his jobs and the hazards associated with it. From safety point of iew before going out for such a job what he should have done is to remove the fuses of the area he wants to work and lock the fuses off and lock the breakers in a safe place so that no one else have access to them and no one will switch on the power accidentally. Everyone who works in any Power company should know the ethics of the job and not every Tom a Harry.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by sweetgala(m): 9:42am On Oct 17, 2015
Olukat:
When will these companies start treating their workers as humans?
Do you mean he went up there without PPE(Personal protective equipment)?
The family should do the needful sad sad
RIP to the dead

Forget PPE I know of no equipment that can stop 240v at only God knows the current going through your body. Power should not have been restored while service is being conducted .
To start with in Nigeria we need to redesign our infrastructure.

I work in telecommunications and I'm responsible for sending many field engineers to line repairs everyday , we've had only one death in the many years I've been there

It comes down to poor safety controls infrastructure design.

3 Likes

Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by victorazy(m): 9:42am On Oct 17, 2015
eleojo23:
I can't see any gloves on his hands.
What was the hell was he thinking?
Many people don't always pay attention to safety measures until damage is done. This attitude is borne out of the tendency of the average Nigerian to neglect giving attention to things such as following standard procedures for doing things.

How would he climb an electric pole without safety equipment?

Simple: "black man is closed to animal"
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by LockDown69(m): 9:47am On Oct 17, 2015
Meanwhile his counterparts in AEDC are going home with 1.9m monthly angry RIP to the dead.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by swaggprofessor(m): 9:48am On Oct 17, 2015
R.I.P
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Collinsiweadi(m): 9:50am On Oct 17, 2015
Hmmm. They are supposed to turn of the power from d transforma. Before even attempting put ladder. Haba niaja over population is making us take live for granted. One man down. Today again. RIP
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by amosyanyan(m): 9:51am On Oct 17, 2015
femi4:
Too bad
Oyaaaa the modem guru... Thanks for the other day bro
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by nnao: 9:51am On Oct 17, 2015
This accident is highly preventable but the Nigerian Government are not serious with the safety of it citizens. There are many factors that causes this preventable accident,
Improper working procedure( at that Kind of height ladder are not meant to be used. only MEWP are meant to be used in this height.
PPEs including the Electrical safety Glove Showing the current rating, coverall, hard hat,
PTW PERMIT TO WORK(Which should identify the kind of electrical isolation needed before he will be allowed to work,tools to used, performing authorities, isolation authorities, means of communication)
poor communication
lack of emergency preparedness and procedure.
Incompetent and inexperience personnel
lack of electrical and working at height safety training.
Lack of method statement indicating the procedure to follow when making connection or repairing work in electrical pole

If all this systems are in place i think this man hanging on the electric pole will be home now enjoying with his family.
RIP man. You died because your country failed to create Ministry of HSE to help deal with this kind of situations.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by AreaFada2: 9:52am On Oct 17, 2015
RIP
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Ipheyemmy01(m): 9:56am On Oct 17, 2015
R.I.P. To those that love to hug transformer, bath on it or those mysterious Goat that goes to relax on our transformer, this is to inform you that change is here. Hug and relax on transformer at your own risk.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by informato: 9:57am On Oct 17, 2015
buzquet:
The rate way electric and fire dey kill people this days, mhen! I hope it's not our leader ther use AL this incidents for their rituals?

#MYTICKETGOCOMETODAY
...why have you chuz to finish them today...?..... abi you just register ?... well, if na soccer betting you want take finish them,then I laff you in pidgin,Hausa,Yoruba, and IBO... if na basketball,I smile,...if na volleyball, then you are sure to kill them
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by Etizz: 9:57am On Oct 17, 2015
What's d problem with these control room operators, or is it dat district service technicians don't alert dem on maintenance before carry out the job,.... Why are these guys regard life as nothing........ Safety conscious is my priority.... I don't play with my life.
Re: BEDC Staff Electrocuted While Doing His Job In Benin City (photos) by jaybee104(m): 9:58am On Oct 17, 2015
buzquet:

#MYTICKETGOCOMETODAY
No go play 28games +, dey expect to win o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read / Physically Challenged Man Is A Street Sweeper In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Can A Military Officer (Soldier) Resign From Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.