Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,081 members, 7,818,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? (1159 Views)

Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Is It Rude To Greet Our Elders In English, Instead Of Our Native Tongue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by secretaryabdul(m): 10:14pm On Oct 17, 2015
When last did u write a single sentence in your mother tongue? Or have a 30 mins conversation? Were u ashame of speaking ur native language in front of ur friends, colleagues or mates? Feel proud of speaking Queen's English, or any other imported foreign language?
These and many other related questions will be difficult to answer esp among the so called educated youth of nowadays, who think that all it takes to be civilize and conform to modern standard of living is to speak somebody's else language & also behave in their ways.
Parents nowadays teach their children English at home thereby, growing thew up as Caricatures in wonderland [ for he who lost his culture is nothing but a caricature]. If you fall into this category of people then you are lending out ur hand in destroying what ur ancestors built for milleniums i.e. Langugae and culture.
Hundreds of Bengalis died in the late 40s fighting to preserve their language and they won, now their language is 7th most widely spoken language on Earth!
Please do something now to help preserve your mother tongue.
As for me I am #Hausa and proud.
Sai da safen ku!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by tpiander: 10:17pm On Oct 17, 2015
Are you really Hausa or just pretending .
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Obinovictor(m): 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hmmm
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 17, 2015
Am speaking it nowwwcheesycheesycheesy
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by secretaryabdul(m): 10:35pm On Oct 17, 2015
tpiander:
am Hausa for real

1 Like

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by ojun50(m): 10:51pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hmmmmmm me on a long tin oh almost a year
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Fulaman198(m): 11:23pm On Oct 17, 2015
Hande (today)

2 Likes

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Fulaman198(m): 11:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
secretaryabdul:
When last did u write a single sentence in your mother tongue? Or have a 30 mins conversation? Were u ashame of speaking ur native language in front of ur friends, colleagues or mates? Feel proud of speaking Queen's English, or any other imported foreign language?
These and many other related questions will be difficult to answer esp among the so called educated youth of nowadays, who think that all it takes to be civilize and conform to modern standard of living is to speak somebody's else language & also behave in their ways.
Parents nowadays teach their children English at home thereby, growing thew up as Caricatures in wonderland [ for he who lost his culture is nothing but a caricature]. If you fall into this category of people then you are lending out ur hand in destroying what ur ancestors built for milleniums i.e. Langugae and culture.
Hundreds of Bengalis died in the late 40s fighting to preserve their language and they won, now their language is 7th most widely spoken language on Earth!
Please do something now to help preserve your mother tongue.
As for me I am #Hausa and proud.
Sai da safen ku!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement

Cool ina farin jini
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Fulaman198(m): 11:25pm On Oct 17, 2015
tpiander:

LOL why would he pretend that he's a Hausa guy? I know there is speculation that Pagan was pretending.

2 Likes

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Fulaman198(m): 11:32pm On Oct 17, 2015
So glad that Google Translate does not have Fulani language (Fulfulde) because I'm sure it would be butchered and dishonoured.

1 Like

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Fulaman198(m): 11:33pm On Oct 17, 2015
@secretlyabdul, do you know that in Senegal almost everyone there speaks Wolof language whether they are Wolof or not. That is one African country that has adopted Wolof as an official language and many are speaking it over French now. Same with Niger, there are more Hausa speakers in Niger Republic than there are French speakers. Not everyone sells out their culture like some Nigerians do.

1 Like

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by secretaryabdul(m): 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2015
Fulaman198:
So glad that Google Translate does not have Fulani language (Fulfulde) because I'm sure it would be butchered and dishonoured.
even Hausa was recently added and it isnt accurate. I am sure they must be working on Fulfulde too. But d problem wll be the dialect to choose!
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by secretaryabdul(m): 11:43pm On Oct 17, 2015
Fulaman198:
@secretlyabdul, do you know that in Senegal almost everyone there speaks Wolof language whether they are Wolof or not. That is one African country that has adopted Wolof as an official language and many are speaking it over French now. Same with Niger, there are more Hausa speakers in Niger Republic than there are French speakers. Not everyone sells out their culture like some Nigerians do.
Its gud to knw that wolof 's made an official in Senegal. Sometimes Wolof resembles fulfulde, i had to called my grandmother [ who is fulani] to confirmed it wasnt Fulfude one day while watchng friday sermon on one Senegal Tv.
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Fulaman198(m): 11:55pm On Oct 17, 2015
secretaryabdul:

even Hausa was recently added and it isnt accurate. I am sure they must be working on Fulfulde too. But d problem wll be the dialect to choose!

the dialect with Hausa is also a case too. Hausa has many dialects from Sokoto to Kano. Google translate Hausa is a total disgrace. It's about 20 - 30% correct most of the time. With Fulfulde, it would even be worse because Fulfulde has even more dialects than Hausa from Adamawaare (which is spoken in Adamawa/Taraba Nigeria, Cameroon, Eastern Niger, Western Chad, Central African Republic, etc.)

Then you have the Senegalese dialects of Pulaar for the Fulanis, Malians have Maasinakoore which sounds like the dialect spoken in NW Nigeria, Western Niger, Burkina Faso, Benin Republic, etc. etc.

Guinea, Sierra Leone, Guinea Bissau, and parts of Mali speak a very similar dialect. But there are differences.

For example I can typically understand what a Senegalese Fulani says, but sometimes I'm like "what, what is he saying"

I'll give you an example

In Guinea, The Fulanis ask what is your name: "Ko honno inneteda?"
In Nigeria, we ask it like this: "Noy innde ma?"

You can see some similarities but also some differences.

If I were to tell a Guinean Fulani that I'm a Fulani from Nigeria, I would say in my dialect: Min mi pullo Nayjeria (or Min mi pullo ha lessdi Nayjeria)

In their dialect I would say: Ko mo mi Pullo leydi Nigeria

There are other examples I could give.
Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2015
Gbuo (now).

1 Like

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 19, 2015
Ugbuugbua
Kitakita
Ududua
Gbuogbuo
Now now

1 Like

Re: When Last Did U Speak In Your Native Tongue? by seunny4lif(m): 10:14pm On Oct 19, 2015
I don't have anyone to speak it with here but I always speak with my family every time I call them grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Council Of Baale In Ilorin Will Meet In Afonja Ilorin To Discuss Security / Photos : OPC Leader, Gani Adams Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Did Our Ancestors Practice Mummification?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.