Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,866 members, 7,813,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

9 Ways To Study For An Exam - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9 Ways To Study For An Exam (673 Views)

Different Types Of Students You Will Meet In An Exam Hall - Meme Collection / The Shocking Maths Many People Failed In An Exam Hall / 9 Ways Students Waste Money, Possible Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Ways To Study For An Exam by Oshovie(m): 9:10pm On Oct 18, 2015
1. Never rely on one source: like using one textbook or Wikipedia only. Use different sources.

2. Always understand every sentence, before moving on to the next one.

3. Do not be in a hurry while reading. A thing remembered is better than a hundred things forgotten.

4. Never cram. Rote memorization is dangerous. You will surely forget everything you cram.

5. After reading, try to explain everything you've read to yourself using different words. For example, if the textbook says that "biology is the scientific study of life and living things", you could say "biology is the science that studies life and living matter".

6. Try to visualize what you read. If you're reading about ecology, try to visualize a forest with animals therein.

7. Never be contented with any thing you know. Read about it somewhere else. The more you read about it, the less possible it will be to forget.

8. Important points or formulae could be written on the front page of your notebook.

9. Tell someone or something about what you've learned. It works for me. Just call someone or something, maybe a younger sibling or even a dog. Explaining it to someone makes you more confident in it. They may not understand, but it helps.

10. Question what you read. Don't just read, nodding your head along, and ingesting everything. Try to ask questions while reading.
Re: 9 Ways To Study For An Exam by Niyeal(m): 9:29pm On Oct 18, 2015
Only cramming wil make u score B in my schl.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Ways To Study For An Exam by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 18, 2015
Oshovie:
1. Never rely on one source: like using one textbook or Wikipedia only. Use different sources.
He he. If you're reading Wikipedia for an exam then you deserve whatever you get.
Sometimes skimming is better as there are lots of redundant sentences saying the same thing, or in mathematics the textbook will explain a simple concept in two paragraphs and you still won't understand.
3. Do not be in a hurry while reading. A thing remembered is better than a hundred things forgotten.
True.
4. Never cram. Rote memorization is dangerous. You will surely forget everything you cram.
I disagree. If you wish to pass an exam in Nigeria (unless it's a mathematics exam or practical) then you might need to cram.
I agree that rote learning is not good when you want to truly understand but there are boring courses where you have to cram.
5. After reading, try to explain everything you've read to yourself using different words. For example, if the textbook says that "biology is the scientific study of life and living things", you could say "biology is the science that studies life and living matter".
I do this, but I pretend I'm explaining it to someone (I usually have to do it anyway).
Teaching someone something makes you comprehend better.
6. Try to visualize what you read. If you're reading about ecology, try to visualize a forest with animals therein.
This won't work in mathematics as a lot of maths is abstract.
Sometimes graphs do not help.
And that you can visualise something doesn't make it easier cough Topology cough.
7. Never be contented with any thing you know. Read about it somewhere else. The more you read about it, the less possible it will be to forget.
Don't try to put in too much information as it could be detrimental.
If you understand something in a particular way it is sometimes better to stick to it as another method can confuse you.
8. Important points or formulae could be written on the front page of your notebook.
Agreed.
Write out important points and memorise them.
9. Tell someone or something about what you've learned. It works for me. Just call someone or something, maybe a younger sibling or even a dog. Explaining it to someone makes you more confident in it. They may not understand, but it helps.
It's all fun and games until you're caught explaining Galois Group theory to a pole in the middle of the night...
10. Question what you read. Don't just read, nodding your head along, and ingesting everything. Try to ask questions while reading.
Addendum: if there's no one around to explain then Google is your friend.
There might be YouTube videos on the subject.

Cheers, OP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Ways To Study For An Exam by baruzeez(m): 9:35pm On Oct 18, 2015
Oshovie:

op just try engineering communication course and let me know why u will not cram
Re: 9 Ways To Study For An Exam by tosyne2much(m): 11:06pm On Oct 18, 2015
I'm coming with my list cool

Brb

(1) (Reply)

Geographic Information System(gis) In Kaduna / VIEWER DISCRETION: Final Year Poly Student Murdered By His Security Guard In Imo / PhD In Human Physiology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.