Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,715 members, 7,955,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:51 PM

The Soldiers Deserve Clemency - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Soldiers Deserve Clemency (777 Views)

“The Hausa, Backed By The Soldiers & Police, Set Vehicles, Houses On Fire"- Adio / My Ugly Experience With Nigerian Soldiers In Aba. / ‘how Soldiers Brutalised Two Brothers In Lagos (pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Soldiers Deserve Clemency by lipuka(m): 11:44am On Apr 30, 2009
A group of soldiers were imprisoned for life for protesting over UN pay in Nigeria. A court Martial found the soldiers , who included 4 women, of mutiny.

The soldiers had served as Peace Keepers for the United Nations. They had not been paid as expected. In fact there pay had been diverted and some officer were charged and imprisonment for imbezzlement.

When the Army finally decided to pay them, they paid less than the expected amount, hence the riots by the soldiers.

I certainly do not support soldiers who riot and start looting. But I honestly sympathise with these people. The people who caused these soldiers to riot wer the Army. Not only did they divert their pay, but proceeded to pay less than expected. What did they expect?

DID THEY WANT THE SOLDIERS TO ACCEPT THE SMALLER AMOUNT?

If indeed the soldiers had accepted the smaller amount, what would have happened to the balance?

Nigeria has a poor reputation, and this is just another example. The soldiers were not treated fairly and should have been paid what was their due.

THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN TREATED WITH MORE SYMPATHY, NOT PUNISHMENT
Re: The Soldiers Deserve Clemency by bgees(m): 4:38pm On May 02, 2009
the facts about this story have been kept from the public so i cant really give an opinion but a life sentence is just too harsh.
Re: The Soldiers Deserve Clemency by lipuka(m): 10:45am On May 05, 2009
The Officers who caused the rioting are the ones who shopuld have been punished. They should have paid the soldiers what they deserved.

(1) (Reply)

Ritual Camp In Binin / The Most Notorious Robber Terrorizing Lagos And Other Western States Nabbed – (P / Most Wanted Kidnap Kingpin Kelvin Nabbed At Lastmost Wanted Kidnap Kingpin Kelvi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.