Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

The Fight Against Boko Haram: My Thoughts & 2 “kobo” Advice To Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fight Against Boko Haram: My Thoughts & 2 “kobo” Advice To Nigerians (524 Views)

Soldiers Celebrate After Successful Attack Against Boko Haram / Nigerian Air Force Increases Tempo Of Air Strikes Against Boko Haram. Photos / US Deploys Ground Forces Against Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Fight Against Boko Haram: My Thoughts & 2 “kobo” Advice To Nigerians by Appswheel(m): 11:27pm On Oct 18, 2015
Will the Nigerian Army Crush Boko Haram by December 2015? This is the thought on the minds of many Nigerians.

President Buhari gave the military an ultimatum to bring Boko Haram insurgency to an end by December 2015. The army seem to be in high spirit under the new Lafia dole operation thereby giving Nigerians hope that the deadline is achievable. With the recent onslaught and increased bombing attacks in North East Nigeria, the Boko Haram body language do not suggest any sign of fatigue.

I am optimistic that Nigeria will win the war against terror (Boko Haram) but I do not see it happen by December 2015. My standpoint is drawn from the argument that fighting Boko Haram is an all-inclusive battle that should involve all Nigerians. The fight must be fought beyond the battlefield, in addition to guns and fighter jets must be intelligence, adoption of technology and citizens participation.

Amongst other things, there is an urgent need for a new policy on education in the north east. The literacy level of the region needs to be improved upon. Nigerians must consciously and actively support the fight against Boko Haram by being observant of their environment and provide useful information to the security agencies.

Open markets, motor parks should be discouraged and existing ones should be upgraded to “enclosed” ones whose entrances are equipped with security gadgets and manned by well-trained security agents. These should not be a temporary measure but a permanent one.

The fight against Boko Haram calls for a new and united Nigeria, we must adopt and embrace a new life style necessary for survival in an evolving world of everyday complexity. The era of “I do not talk to a stranger” must stop. All Nigerians should make effort to know the happenings within their surroundings, at least, make efforts to know who your neighbor is.

A quick example on why we must unite on all fronts; the hijab has recently been used as a suicide bomb accessory. On this account, I expect that a temporary ban should be placed on it use, better still, the short hijab should replace the flowing ones. If this happens, Muslims should not see it as a fight against Islam rather they should see it from the point of reason and without bias.

To think that Boko Haram is a problem of the North East alone is a grievous, fatal and flawed reasoning. Moreover, a bomb knows not tribe, age, religion nor colour this explains why “Johnson”, “Isah”, “blessing”, “Aminat”, Christians, Muslims, atheists and traditionalist have fallen victims to Boko Haram attacks. The recent Boko Haram activities in Kogi State, North Central Nigeria is a clarion call to all Nigerians to join the fight against terrorism. If we do not join hands to fight terrorism, you may wake up one day to find it at your backyard if not in your living room.

The only way to keep Boko Haram in check is to be ahead of them technologically, intelligence wise and through the existence of a strong bond between the citizenry and the security agencies.

Do you think Boko Haram bombings will stop by December 2015 and what ways can the Boko Haram scourge be put in check? I hope to read your thoughts.

(1) (Reply)

Alleged Fraud: Akpabio’s Petitioner Seeks Larmode's Resignation / This Is How Nigerian's Condition Will Be If We Divide / Oby Ezekwesili And The Politics Of One Sidedness.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.