Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,568 members, 7,816,396 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language (11820 Views)

Trailer To New Movie Lagos Cougars Starring Monalisa Chinda, Uche Jombo And Alex / The Wolverine trailer 2013 / X-men Origins: Wolverine - Excellent Cinematography (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by ElRazur: 5:55pm On May 06, 2009
dakmanzero:

*sigh*

*shaking head*

I was just about to give up, but let me ask elrazur a question.

If words become harmless when labeled fiction, why then does censorship exist for fictional works?

Dude. I see your arguments, but it is irrelevant to the point at hand. A fictional movie owe us nothing to include factual location in a comic-book adaptation movie!

Censorship exist for all movies, this censorship bodies decides what is acceptable for it movie's target audience etc. The fact that a fictional film is a movie, it would therefore be subjected to the same laws and scrutiny other non-fictional movies are subjected to!
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by dakmanzero(m): 7:48pm On May 06, 2009
Ok, I see where u are coming from.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

You feel a decision as to whether or not a movie is acceptable for an audience is a completely different topic from whether or not proper representation is required in a fictional movie?

For example, you feel a fictional movie depicting rampant sex and violence needs to be censored for reasons completely seperate from those relating to the accuracy/relevance of the movie's subject matter.

If I'm correct, I think I can relate to that stance. HOWEVER, I'd like to posit that u are mistaken in respect of subject matter: afterall movies are censored based on subject matter.

For example, 'birth of a nation' was banned for more than 5 decades mainly due to racist portrayals of black people and an attempt to paint a false image of the US civil war. This is despite the fact that it was clearly a work of fiction. The civil war was a setting, but it was deliberately misrepresented. This movie caused riots and lynchings in which several people died.

Of course this is an extreme example- but it is the same thing nonetheless. The point is that you cannot argue that the fictional nature of the story gives them license to misrepresent the locations.

Like I said in another thread, if they used a fictional African nation, we'd all be okay.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by ElRazur: 10:29am On May 07, 2009
It kinda get tiring having to repeat myself. I guess we will have to leave it like that. A fictional film, based on a fictional comic book adaptation own us nothing to use real location of Nigeria as a result of us getting a mention in the movie. That is my view, that is my opinion and am sticking to it. smiley
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by dakmanzero(m): 10:49am On May 07, 2009
And u are entitled to do so.

Ah, God, if only all Nairaland arguments could end so amicably,

(yer still wrong though, grin )
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by ElRazur: 11:12am On May 07, 2009
It is ended due to several reasons, you keep moving the goal post and missing the very point at hand. I am having to repeat myself, not something I like doing especially when I consider you to be intelligent. You see kinda sucks, so I had to stop, not because I believe I am wrong or anything. smiley

But yeah, debate should be polite and insult-free. smiley
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by rotimy(m): 4:37pm On May 08, 2009
you two should not behave like Logan and Victor in the Movie, fighting over nothing!
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by ajekpaks(m): 8:29pm On May 08, 2009
Chai when I go get money to go silvabird go wacth this film

any way ah trust alaba boiz them no dey slack
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by ElRazur: 8:22am On May 09, 2009
rotimy:

you two should not behave like Logan and Victor in the Movie, fighting over nothing!

Who is fighting? A disagreement over views, do not equate to fighting.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by AloyEmeka9: 10:10am On May 09, 2009
Are you guys more interested in the movie or the unnoticeable errors within?. Oyibo has been showing Africans as people that live on trees for over 100 years now and yet you guys are busy complaining the disparity between the language and the location. Did Bruce Willis shoot  his own movie on Nigerian soil?
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by AloyEmeka9: 10:20am On May 09, 2009

I will have to disagree that your average westerner knows not to believe everything seen in a "Fictional movie". The emphasis here is the fictional movies. If it was presented as a factual movie now or based on true event - i.e the whole story - then you may have a point I would say
Correct.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by bigrovar(m): 10:42am On May 09, 2009
Lets not get worked up over Hollywood and their guffs. Its a non fact that only always never gets their facts wrong when it comes to movie sets and background

Many Indians never liked the way The SlumDog Millionaire Portrayed poverty in India in line with western stereo types, even the slum dweller protested the name of the movie claming they are not dogs.

In the Movie 300 The Iranian government protested the way the Persian nation was portrayed as a fetish,immoral, and oppressors while the Greeks were portrayed as morally upright,freedom lovers, and strong,  when in  actual fact the greek kept slaves too were just as brutal to their slaves as everyone was at the time. many people who watched the 300 movie didn't know that the Persian king is the same dude that married Esther in the bible

they are very few Hollywood movies that doesn't guff when it comes to background facts to their movies ,  its just a reflection of western stereotypes and how little Americans know about the outside world.

also while this is bad,  i think our local home video is just as guilty.  Especially when they try to portray setting in Europe or cast a Lebanese as an American.   or the fake accent of an act who is suppose to have lived all his life in the US. heck its just a movie mehn dont get all worked up about it.

even the xmen movie is a complete fail compared to the comic ,
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by nigeriantalent: 12:44pm On May 09, 2009
What are you all blabbering about? The movie is FICTION isn't it? The script is supposed to be written to fit the story so whether its diamonds in Nigeria or remote villages in VI, leave them. Even Hollywood movies sometimes misrepresent their own American settings many times on purpose just to suit their stories. You'll find a trillion examples if you can be bothered with the effort of looking. tongue
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by init4dmoni(m): 2:51pm On May 09, 2009
dis is one of the best films i've watched/downloaded
i would've paid real money to watch it(maybe not}
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by AloyEmeka9: 5:05pm On May 09, 2009
What are you all blabbering about? The movie is FICTION isn't it? The script is supposed to be written to fit the story so whether its diamonds in Nigeria or remote villages in VI, leave them. Even Hollywood movies sometimes misrepresent their own American settings many times on purpose just to suit their stories. You'll find a trillion examples if you can be bothered with the effort of looking.
exactly.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by dakmanzero(m): 3:22pm On May 11, 2009
Aloy

So if I publicly insult you and call you the b@stard son of a rat's misfired self-service-off and a drunken cock-a-roach, and then said that of course it is fiction, cockroaches cant be drunk, you would sit there and say 'ok, cool. I applaud you for taking notice of me even if it was to call me a b@stard rat-roach'

@bigbrovar

The misrepresentation of history in 300 is a major issue. However what happened there was that the original writer modified the history for entertainment effect, and the director stayed faithful to that vision.

This Lagos thing was just sloppy- they simply failed to do research. They didnt intentionally misrepresent the setting, they just pulled it out of their arses. If they needed diamonds in the script, for example, some research would have had them choosing a diamond-producing region like south africa.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by bigrovar(m): 8:37am On May 14, 2009

@bigbrovar

The misrepresentation of history in 300 is a major issue. However what happened there was that the original writer modified the history for entertainment effect, and the director stayed faithful to that vision.

This Lagos thing was just sloppy- they simply failed to do research. They didnt intentionally misrepresent the setting, they just pulled it out of their arses. If they needed diamonds in the script, for example, some research would have had them choosing a diamond-producing region like south africa.
we are saying the same thing, its not a secret that Hollywood dont always get their facts right when it comes to settings outside of the western world. most hollywood movies are a general reflection of attitude in the west about Africa and the rest of the developing world. an average american doesnt know the different between Nigeria or Ghana , Many even think that Africa is a country. They are completely ignorant, and that ignorance always bear fruit in their movies. This is a known fact that will continue to happen. because the target audience of the movies dont really care about Lagos or Diamonds or southafrica , so lets not loss sleep of this , its not like our home videos is any better
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by Badriyyah(f): 12:52pm On May 14, 2009
The movie was crap, lol. Even Wolverine would be pissed off. Try play the game demo and see the difference. And I wasn't impressed by the Nigeria scene, Grafitti in a village?lol It was hilarious.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by Nobody: 6:14am On May 18, 2009
ok
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by moondust(m): 6:06pm On May 18, 2009
please did anyone hear the mutant interrogate the igbo man in igbo , roflmao
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by seunallday: 5:09pm On May 22, 2009
u guys r forgetting that, while the scenes a whooping TWO were nt well researched at all, nigerian soldiers are nt dressed like dat, they only brought in a biafra angle and ran with it, they couldnt have come to lagos for dat scen, it was all CGI'ed, it would hav been unnecesarily expensive. even other locations around the world are nt shot at the exact spots, like in rules of engagement, kuwait was actually morrocco,

the film wasnt bad at all sha.

Badriyyah:

The movie was crap, lol. Even Wolverine would be pissed off. Try play the game demo and see the difference. And I wasn't impressed by the Nigeria scene, Grafitti in a village?lol It was hilarious.

u go talk say u neva c, lol
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by Nobody: 2:37am On May 24, 2009
moondust:

please did anyone hear the mutant interrogate the igbo man in igbo , roflmao

Lol, that was hilarious. I thought he was speaking French. grin

The Igbo guy was like "A mara m . . . eziokwu" The mutant interpreted "It's sacred" grin

I laughed my butt off.

I don't know what you guys are worrying yourself about I totally enjoyed the movie.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by ezeagu(m): 1:20am On May 27, 2009
Are you guys aware that this is a Comic book movie about a guy who grows knifes out of his knuckles?

Nigeria isn't exactly Dubai, and we're lucky that Non-Nigerians, talk less Hollywood decided to mention Lagos, talk less write Igbo characters into one of their most expensive and prized movies. The X-Men live in the Marvel Universe where a girl can walk through walls, and a man could lift up the Golden Gate bridge without touching it. I wouldn't get worked up about it, because I'm sure anybody who's brain is larger than a pea would know that this is not a docudrama. Hollywood bastardizes EVERYTHING, and people have come to expect that.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by blacklion(m): 2:48am On May 27, 2009
ezeagu:

Are you guys aware that this is a Comic book movie about a guy who grows knifes out of his knuckles?

Nigeria isn't exactly Dubai, and we're lucky that Non-Nigerians, talk less Hollywood decided to mention Lagos, talk less write Igbo characters into one of their most expensive and prized movies. The X-Men live in the Marvel Universe where a girl can walk through walls, and a man could lift up the Golden Gate bridge without touching it. I wouldn't get worked up about it, because I'm sure anybody who's brain is larger than a pea would know that this is not a docudrama. Hollywood bastardizes EVERYTHING, and people have come to expect that.

So Hollywood is doing us a favour? We should be grateful to be misrepresented as another Sierra Leone? I'll bet the oil companies lobbied the studio not to set the movie in the Niger Delta. What havoc have diamonds done to Sierra Leone that oil has not done to Niger Delta?

BTW, Akinnuola Agbaje who played 'Wombosi' the African dictator character in Bourne Identity, spoke Yoruba on screen even though his stage name 'Wombosi' is clearly East or Central African sounding. Mo'fu?*ing Hollywood studios treating Africa like one country.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by rotimy(m): 7:52pm On May 27, 2009
To be honest, I truly really enjoyed the film! The hollywood might be lazy in research but very good in producing films for a joyful entertainment!
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 17, 2009
Why is it that no one seemed to have noticed the major issue about the lagos scene.

NEPA WAS ONNN DURING THE ENTIRE SCENE.
Don't you think it would have been nice if nepa had "taken" the "light" when they were in the elevator. How dat mutant wey dey control computers go fit control NEPA. grin
Abi d guy go turn 1000 MW for national grid to 10,000 MW. lol
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by maedan(f): 2:10pm On Jun 18, 2009
If what you guys are saying is true, then it's really embarrassing. Hollywood is usually known for researching their movies exhaustively, mainly because Americans are known for being perfectionists, that's why they are the best. But this misrepresentation of the motherland is unforgivable grin. They know that the most popular city in Nigeria is Lagos. Good. So they used Lagos. But then they messed up and used the wrong tribe. There could never, by any stretch of imagination or fiction, be a "remote Igbo village" some three days from Lagos or what ever crap it is they sprouted. I haven't seen the movie, all the reviews from friends and the media was sort of mixed up, so I'm staying away till I can make up my mind. In any case, Hollywood messed up such a big, expensive movie, that could have been hotter than the Iron Man or Batman movies.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by Thirdborn: 12:20am On Jun 19, 2009
I am totally disappointed in most of the things i just read in this forum,
First and foremost, this should wake the Nigerian film industry up, cos if it was a scene that was to depict India, they would have used indian actors, but they never used a single nollywood actor.
Secondly, the movie is not directed at the nigerian market so its not important that they get it right, i mean if they made a chunk of their movie revenues from Nigeria they would have cared what we think, but they lose most of it to piracy, i bet you most of the people complaining here watched this move on pirated DVD.

And COME ON, UBA building? Any smart thinking person can tell that was shot in a studio, hello, CGI.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by samparian(m): 2:33am On Jun 19, 2009
A-town:

Why is it that no one seemed to have noticed the major issue about the lagos scene.

NEPA WAS ONNN DURING THE ENTIRE SCENE.
Don't you think it would have been nice if nepa had "taken" the "light" when they were in the elevator. How dat mutant wey dey control computers go fit control NEPA. grin
Abi d guy go turn 1000 MW for national grid to 10,000 MW
. lol
ROTFLMAO

It seems you guys didnt watch the movie very well.
watch it again and you'll understand it.

The Nigerian/Lagos scenes were set DURING THE VEITNAM WAR and that occured from 1959 to 1975 and the Mutant group were told to go further inland. it would take 3days walk!!
you're complaining.
they did a better job in research than their counterparts in the movie SAHARA, though a very nice action packed movie, they didnt reaserach well on Nigeria.
the Wolverine cast and crew did a nice job.
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by samparian(m): 2:36am On Jun 19, 2009
watch it

Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by samparian(m): 2:39am On Jun 19, 2009
A character called AZIKIWE in the movie couldnt even speak igbo

Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
samparian:

ROTFLMAO

It seems you guys didnt watch the movie very well.
watch it again and you'll understand it.

The Nigerian/Lagos scenes were set DURING THE VEITNAM WAR and that occured from [b]1959 to 1975 [/b] and the Mutant group were told to go further inland. it would take 3days walk!!
you're complaining.
they did a better job in research than their counterparts in the movie SAHARA, though a very nice action packed movie, they didnt reaserach well on Nigeria.
the Wolverine cast and crew did a nice job.

No wonder Nepa didn't "carry the light"
We had stable power supply back then. wink
Re: The Wolverine Movie, Lagos And The Igbo Language by hectorswag(m): 10:06am On Jul 30, 2010
A-town:

No wonder Nepa didn't "carry the light"
We had stable power supply back then. wink
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Near-nude Photos Of Nollywood Actresses On The Set Of "Juju" Movie / Doctors Quarters (DQ) on DSTV / Pirates Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.