Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** (3060 Views)

My Southern California Odyssey / Nigerian 'Toilet Roll' Seller In Spain Returns 16,000 Euros Found In Briefcase / Cheap Flight To California, Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by blackspade(m): 9:14pm On Apr 30, 2009
[center]
Sacramento

Los Angeles

San Francisco

San Diego

Long Beach
[/center]

I've been living in Los Angeles, California for almost 3 years now, and I'm from Lagos. I'm loving the California lifestyle, and all the diversity here! Where I live, it's possible to go to the beach, go skiing, and go atv riding all in one day! It's also possible for me to get an authentic taste of Mexico, experience the culture of Ethiopia, and party like I was in Thailand! So California nairalanders, check in and represent! wink

2 Likes

Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by Kc0022000(m): 4:28pm On May 03, 2009
Stay legally before you find yourself at MMA
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by Lax75(m): 6:10pm On May 03, 2009
I can attest. Cali is awesome! Lots to do. Love LA, hollywood, Melrose, Rodeo Drive, Pasadena, Newport Beach, list goes on.

Love Lajoya San Diego

1 Like

Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by sucessful1: 7:54pm On May 03, 2009
@blackspade

nice to see this thread,kudos 2 u bros.men am thinking of relocating to the usa,cali in particular,i was having l.a in mind but i think it mite b 2 expensive 4 me,am living in dublin @ d moment,pls bro do u have any advice 4 me,as in way's to survive.advices are welcome from all y'all my home boys living in westside.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by blackspade(m): 12:19am On May 07, 2009
@successful1

Thanks, glad you like the thread! Honestly, as of now, I wouldn't recommend you moving to California (economy is bad, people are becoming jobless in record numbers, state budget deficit). You should wait until at least mid-2010 to move here, by then the economy would have bounced improved, and the budget deficit would be a lot less. Once you get here (if you don't know anyone here), get yourself to one of the African resource centers, they will help you get yourself settled, find a job, etc. . . . . basically all the things an immigrant in a far off place would need to make it.

Los Angeles can be very expensive. Since the recession, things have gotten cheaper, but prices are still high! Other parts of the state can be affordable, like the Inland Empire (East of Los Angeles), or the Central Valley (Sacramento down to Bakersfield). These places are very affordable, especially now. In California, it's basically the closer you are to the ocean, the more you will pay. Hope this helps, be sure to check out my "Discover Los Angeles" thread. wink

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-181875.64.html
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by promise72(m): 1:56am On May 07, 2009
sucessful1:

@blackspade

nice to see this thread,kudos 2 u bros.men am thinking of relocating to the usa,cali in particular,i was having l.a in mind but i think it mite b 2 expensive 4 me,am living in dublin @ d moment,pls bro do u have any advice 4 me,as in way's to survive.advices are welcome from all y'all my home boys living in westside.

If i can advise u, i will move to either Atlanta or Florida (Northern part), its cheaper, weather is good with little threat of hurricane. I have been in Calif for over 15years. Dont believe the hype. its way too xpensive here.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by TOYOSI20(f): 7:10am On May 07, 2009
Blackspade, . . . .nice to see u holding down the forte, . . .nice thread too. . . . wink smiley

California to me is home,. . . . .and like they say, home is where u make it. . . smiley

Theres a lot of nice restaurants, nice places to shop, nice neighbourhoods, esp. for young folks starting out a family. . .

I stay in Sacramento smiley, and its more laid back than say LA, less hustle and bustle, and more historic, a lot of Old buildings, and monuments,

Like we have museums, tourist attraction centers, and several other forms of recreation, the night life is also phenomenal

i agree the standard of living is well above average, but its worth it cos of safety and security,

Homes in the surbs. are less expensive, . . . .If u've never been to California, i say it'll be worth ur while to stop by sometime. . . .

And oh yeah. . . . the great weather tops it all up, like icing on the cake, OMG!! shocked shocked cheesy, its nice all yr round. . . . cool

well these are some of the main reasons why i love ma city so much!!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by tpiah: 12:02pm On May 07, 2009
true sha- Hollywood is a geographic location and tourist spot.

what about Nollywood? can it be found on a map?
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by dejiariyo: 2:57pm On May 07, 2009
pls i want to move to one of u guys houses, i am ready to work under yu especially toyosi,i love working under ladies, pls consider my application.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by sucessful1: 3:33pm On May 07, 2009
@all

thnks 4 all ur advice,@black do u really think that the economy 'll settle by 2010,men to my projection am seeing d reccession stretching uptil 2012,men i dont know btn e.u and yank which one is smelling d reccession most,infact am tired of e.u,i dont know if i can wait until 2010 i stil have my job though but i think i'v just fell out of luv 4 e.u ,i really pray that things get settled 2010 like u said.@promise i was @ florida 4 a while,did'nt like it much,most job there r restaurant job,yea i loved miami but not that cheap,i mite consider atlanta,but i still have my mind in l.a though.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by Lax75(m): 3:54pm On May 07, 2009
@ sucessful1

I am actually half in San Diego (work) and half in Atlanta (where I'm based).

Please don't believe the hype about Atlanta. Yes the cost of living is cheap relatively speaking, but in terms of what I would consider a city of exposure, well let's just say Atlanta is still "the south!" Yes you have downtown Atlanta but once you go beyond that radius, it is basically subs and rurals. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is cool in some ways but it depends on what you're used to and what lifestyle you live. There are many naija folks here but spread out. Gives you that flexibility of jumping in and out the community whenever you feel like or remaining out of sight. The job market here I'd say is strong and good for black folks, many major corporations base their headquarters here.

San Diego is very laid back. Maybe too laid back and yes, EXPENSIVE! But I really love L.A. Real estate is stupendously EXPENSIVE though, but trust me you have lots to do in L.A. Way more than Atlanta. More cultured and exposed people but materialistic and superficial too. Everyone is an "actor/actress" in the making or whatever. Whereas in Atlanta, everyone is a "producer/rapper/promoter" in the making or whatever.

Hope this helps some.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by promise72(m): 7:57pm On May 07, 2009
sucessful1:

@all

thnks 4 all ur advice,@black do u really think that the economy 'll settle by 2010,men to my projection am seeing d reccession stretching uptil 2012,men i dont know btn e.u and yank which one is smelling d reccession most,infact am tired of e.u,i dont know if i can wait until 2010 i stil have my job though but i think i'v just fell out of luv 4 e.u ,i really pray that things get settled 2010 like u said.@promise i was @ florida 4 a while,did'nt like it much,most job there r restaurant job,yea i loved miami but not that cheap,i mite consider atlanta,but i still have my mind in l.a though.

I have been in calif. since 1992. I lived mostly in Southern Calif. (S/B County, Orange, Riverside County) I am presently in Riverside. Attended Calif State University, Los Angeles. I seem to be tired of it though.

My plan is to move to Jacksonville, Florida if i have a chance. I am hoping by the end of the year or not later than mid 2010 God willing.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by blacksta(m): 9:31pm On May 07, 2009
promise72:

I have been in calif. since 1992. I lived mostly in Southern Calif. (S/B County, Orange, Riverside County) I am presently in Riverside. Attended Calif State University, Los Angeles. I seem to be tired of it though.

My plan is to move to Jacksonville, Florida if i have a chance. I am hoping by the end of the year or not later than mid 2010 God willing.

lol
my God since 92

you don lost big time

Americana
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by Ndipe(m): 11:09pm On May 07, 2009
I live in San Jose, California. Nice area.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by promise72(m): 11:10pm On May 07, 2009
blacksta:

lol
my God since 92

you don lost big time  

Americana

Not really. Just went home last Dec07/Jan08. Was in Ghana twice last year. I keep up with home more than you can imagine. When you attend Community  College and University. It doesnt look too long. Time flies. You wait and see. Im pressuming you are not here too long  wink
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by promise72(m): 11:11pm On May 07, 2009
Ndipe:

I live in San Jose, California. Nice area.

since?
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by Ndipe(m): 3:02am On May 08, 2009
promise72:

since?

Have lived in the bay area since the mid 90's.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by lovelylady: 6:11am On Nov 15, 2011
I'm a California native as well born and raised. I live in the center of California. It's great for traveling because the travel is 3hrs North & 3hrs South. Another thing I like about living in the center is the fact that I don't have to worry about Earth Quakes or Tsunami's.
Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by lindaayim(f): 4:23pm On Mar 05, 2017
Live in Santa Barbara....paradise

1 Like

Re: ***** Roll Call: Nairalanders In California! ***** by Abimbola2014: 11:16am On Jun 28, 2018
Pls am planing to move to Cali... I have my own personal salon in Ikeja... I barber hair, i make ladies hair and I do makeovers for ladies... pls which better place can u be down there?

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get A Nigrian Visa / Urgently Looking For Direction From Mile 2 To Ikoyi / Slovakia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.