Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,271 members, 7,867,716 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:18 PM

How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? (14033 Views)

Scottfield International Schools Festac Is Recruiting / How Much Does Ferma Nigeria Pay? / Diamond International Schools Massive Recruitment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Realsam(m): 10:22pm On May 04, 2009
Listen both parties (those for the original poster and those against Xavier3) I too once believe we can let go of some of our inadequacies in english but I have a friend like xavier3. He has just made an honest comment let the poster note and take corrections, in that way we can answer the real question of the poster.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by xavier3(m): 10:24pm On May 04, 2009
A-town:

There is only one International school in Nigeria.
The only one recognised by the World International schools association.
The International School Ibadan, University of Ibadan.
All the others just adopted "international" and added it to their school titles without any form of accreditation.
Anyway, they don't pay much @ ISI but the teaching used to be the shit.

r u sure bout dat, cos i doubt d authenticity of ur findings or info
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by adros84(m): 10:33pm On May 04, 2009
After my response to the lady's questions, I was almost chewed up by a responder. I suggested she negotiates for a minimum of N500k or 2000 pounds but was told I was giving cheap advice. Now someone has suggested $2000 - 7500. This translates to N360k minimum if exchange is pegged at N180 to the dollar. This happens to be the only post that addresses the lady's question. Others have been busy scrutinizing her English and other unrelated issues as if they are her potential employers. The truth of the matter is she will get the job whether or not her English is terrible. The mere fact that she is returning from the UK will sell her. Nigerian proprietors will employ an American or British 'goat' to head or run their schools rather than employ qualified Nigerians who have great skills. I write from experience. I once worked in an international school as principal and for seven years I gave my all to the job and got wonderful results (70% + Distinctions in WAEC year in year out and without any form of cheating). But my employer wanted to be like other 'nations' and decided to bring Americans and Britons to supervise the schools. I resigned and left because I felt only few very good Americans and Britons will live the comfort and security of their nations to come to a disorganized land like ours to work. Sorry if I sound unpatriotic, but that is the truth the way I see it. Of course she went ahead and brought them in but none of them spent more than a month before running back. Before one of them left she prepared a newsletter to parents that was so full of bad English that it had to se sent to the Nigerian Head of English Dept for correction!
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by skinless: 10:35pm On May 04, 2009
But the poster is not online , and we can still answer her question without proof reading ,
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 12:34am On May 05, 2009
@topic,

I get lost when discussions go beyond issues and turn to an egoistic attack on personalities.  Someone started this thread with a simple question, and others have responded addressing that issue. Beyond that is the fact that another noticed the grammatical errors and terrible construct of the Poster's english.  This will ordinarily not be much of a problem if the Poster was applying to lecture mathematics. But that is not the case.

I provided links here to show why I am concerned about the Poster taking up a teaching job in naija. It has nothing to do with her person but on a broader topic of the standard of education in the country.  At what point do we call for an uncompromising minimum standards from those that should teach the next generation?  Of course this does not matter to others on this forum.  That our Universities now produce Graduates who cannot read or write English makes no difference to them.

I still stand by everything I have written here. To those who think typographical and spelling errors are the same as the inability to construct good english, I leave you to your folly.  May you be blessed with more of the same.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Outstrip(f): 2:22am On May 05, 2009
una don chop bellefull abi?
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by femzy(m): 5:05am On May 05, 2009
wtf!!! One of those smelling threads, gat better thangs to read
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by FBS: 8:29am On May 05, 2009
NL, oh NL. . . cheesy
@Tayo-D: You stated some very valid points. cool
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by joxiri: 9:03am On May 05, 2009
@ tayo D
this is a blogging forum if people cant feel free to express themselves here where can they? seems like you dont even live in nigeria, "may be a wrong assumption" but her standard of english has not got anything to do with this thread, if you are interested in improving english standards then go to nigeria

All she wants is some advice almost 70% of the threads on this site never reply straightforward to a topic all she wants is some advice people should not criticise her english, are the people employing her stupid or what they will always find ut f she is crap

I am just frustrated at how people never answer a ? directly on this forum all they do is criticise something about a topic. these are the attributes that hold nigerians back. If people dont have a response to the topic they should not talk just keep quiet and let people with reasoable and constructive responses reply,

People are arguing abt standard of english, the poster has not even been back like she really cares what you think about her standard of english.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by AmAlone: 9:23am On May 05, 2009
@Tayo-D No offence meant oo but you b CASE!!!!

File! File, Filayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy FILE! Its don jazzy agaiN!
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Akpangbon: 9:47am On May 05, 2009
Tayo - D

YOU ARE A GOAT
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by icicle: 10:06am On May 05, 2009
cheesy
wats goin on b/w tayo-d&skinless? r sparks flyin? wink ur fight is so interestin!

anyways, tayo, i tink d americans call 'meeting' meet. Also, 'head of school' simply sounds funkey(b4 u shoot me, its deliberate).

let the fight continue, grin
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Dovent: 11:47am On May 05, 2009
U guys are complaining of gramatical errors when someone is trying to seek your opinion on a personal issue. It only shows u dont have a good sense of humour, even if the poster made a mistake, your correction was to harsh for such a polite post. U need to watch your attitude, because people with such act dont go far, I pray you do.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by seun001(m): 5:05pm On May 05, 2009
i think Tayo-d is absolutely correct.In ur field,u should exercise the patience to correct mistakes and in this case her sentence construction is flawed.while i think the hammer might be a little bit hard,i also think it served its purpose.

this is a forum so u are entitled to write anyhw u deem fit but when u claim to be a teacher of any subject,then u gotta play the part.period
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by stalliontp(m): 9:33pm On May 05, 2009
joxiri:

@ tayo  D
  this is a blogging forum if people cant feel free to express themselves here where can they? seems like you dont even live in nigeria, "may be a wrong assumption" but her standard of english has not got anything to do with this thread, if you are interested in improving english standards then go to nigeria

All she wants is some advice almost 70% of the threads on this site never reply straightforward to a topic all she wants is some advice people should not criticise her english, are the people employing her stupid or what they will always find ut f she is crap

I am just frustrated at how people never answer a ? directly on this forum all they do is criticise something about a topic. these are the attributes that hold nigerians back.  If people dont have a response to the topic they should not talk just keep quiet and let people with reasoable and constructive responses reply,

People are arguing abt standard of english, the poster has not even been back like she really cares what you think about her standard of english.

Thanks Joxiri for the nice response to Tayo D. Someone should tell the guy to get off his high horse and like someone rightly pointed out- this is more of a Nigerian thing ,always wanting to speak better english than the English and we can see where that has taken us. yoruba, ibo and hausa languages have been so bastardized, we cant speak our indigenous languages very well neither will we be absolute Masters in the art of speaking a foreign language no matter your level of grammatical construct Mr Tayo D. The poster was apparently in a relaxed mode and just expressing herself and you on the other hand were busy picking at whatever you can pick at and you even look idiotic at some point because you were trying to correct things she rightly said which are mostly common slangs.
I  have had the privilege of being taught by some of the smartest professors in the field of experimental mechanics and you know what Mr Tayo D? these guys are mostly Asians and Indians and their command of the English Language according to you will be appalling, these are guys that are being revered here in the U.S because of their contributions to their research field. Pls. go get a head, dumbass!
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:50pm On May 05, 2009
FBS:

NL, oh NL. . . cheesy
@Tayo-D: You stated some very valid points. cool
Thanks. It's good to see that some people can reason beyond their feelings.

Am Alone:

@Tayo-D No offence meant oo but you b CASE!!!!

File! File, Filayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy FILE! Its don jazzy agaiN!
Thank you. And how would you describe yourself?

Akpangbon:

Tayo - D

YOU ARE A GOAT
Now that's an irony. What with the accusation coming from a pig.

icicle:

cheesy
wats goin on b/w tayo-d&skinless? r sparks flyin? wink ur fight is so interestin!

anyways, tayo, i tink d americans call 'meeting' meet. Also, 'head of school' simply sounds funkey(b4 u shoot me, its deliberate).

let the fight continue, grin

I'm not here to fight. I don't massage my ego through putting others down. I discuss issues and that is what I have done so far on this thread. But I can readily reply in kind when attacked.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 9:55pm On May 05, 2009
joxiri:

@ tayo D

I am just frustrated at how people never answer a ? directly on this forum all they do is criticise something about a topic. these are the attributes that hold nigerians back. If people dont have a response to the topic they should not talk just keep quiet and let people with reasoable and constructive responses reply,

Let's put your response in perspective.  You accuse others of responding to a thread without a straightforward reply to the topic.  My question is this: how have you provided the poster with the information she seeks?  Maybe you should remove the log in your eyes before venturing to remove the speck in others.  You will do well to 'do as you say', don't you think?

Every reasonable person knows that every topic, though with a central theme could snow ball into something else.  That is what has happened here. I will ordinarily not begrudge you for your repsonse if not that you did not apply the same rule to yourself.  You responded to my post and failed to see that I did same to another's.  What a joke.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by beebop(f): 9:58pm On May 05, 2009
Look if it was just one or two typos, who cares. Everyone makes them at some point, especially on an online forum. But someone posts asking information on a position as the Head of an English Department for what's sure to be an expensive school and her (or his) syntax is wrong, grammar structure is wrong, her (or his) English sounds like some yahoo yahoo boy trying to figure out some new scam.

I thought it was funny. That's all. I don't much care but with the supposed level of education the original poster has, it doesn't take anything to compose a correct sentence. I might have some typos in this post but this took me 2 mins to write and I don't even have as much education as I assume the poster should
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 10:02pm On May 05, 2009
seun001:

i think Tayo-d is absolutely correct.In ur field,u should exercise the patience to correct mistakes and in this case her sentence construction is flawed.while i think the hammer might be a little bit hard,i also think it served its purpose.

this is a forum so u are entitled to write anyhw u deem fit but when u claim to be a teacher of any subject,then u gotta play the part.period
Thanks for the input.  It still baffles me how some cannot see beyond this to the larger issue I am trying to bring attention to. Maybe it's because of the reflection that my points are bringing about. I know it is hard to be a self-critique, but sometimes it is necessary.  I didn't mean to be hard on the poster. I only responded to the person who decalred earlier that her errors are acceptable.

Dovent:

U guys are complaining of gramatical errors when someone is trying to seek your opinion on a personal issue. It only shows u dont have a good sense of humour, even if the poster made a mistake, your correction was to harsh for such a polite post. U need to watch your attitude, because people with such act dont go far, I pray you do.
As I mentioned earlier, this was not meant to be cruel to the poster.  Let's assume for a moment that this was supposed to be funny, can't you and others then see the humor in my response?
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 10:05pm On May 05, 2009
@stalliontp,

Your post suggests you are nothing but an attention seeking dolt. I have done you more favor than you deserve by giving you 30 seconds of my life. Go back to what you know to do best - giving your gentials the attention you seek from others.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 10:06pm On May 05, 2009
beebop:

Look if it was just one or two typos, who cares. Everyone makes them at some point, especially on an online forum. But someone posts asking information on a position as the Head of an English Department for what's sure to be an expensive school and her (or his) syntax is wrong, grammar structure is wrong, her (or his) English sounds like some yahoo yahoo boy trying to figure out some new scam.

I thought it was funny. That's all. I don't much care but with the supposed level of education the original poster has, it doesn't take anything to compose a correct sentence. I might have some typos in this post but this took me 2 mins to write and I don't even have as much education as I assume the poster should
I feel you big time!
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 05, 2009
beebop:

I didnt see a lot wrong with immabel's posts. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Your own syntax, by the way, is much worse than that you're complaining about. For examples (in red):

1. Capitalizing "English" in the middle of a sentence?

2. "I thought it was funny. That's all." . . . sounds great while speaking but looks odd written . . . why did you put "that's all" in a separate sentence of its own? What does it mean?

3. Did you read thru the OPs posts at all? Methinks you never did, i'd actually like you to point out the alleged errors you are complaining about.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by stalliontp(m): 10:15pm On May 05, 2009
@Tayo-D

I knew you were stupid, i just didn't realize how much. Before you accuse me of seeking attention, did you notice how long i have been on NL and how many posts i have? 22- that tells a lot about someone seeking attention- does it not?. I come on here mostly to read intelligent debate and exchanges. But i have issues with retards like you that make a profession of putting other people down. Clueless slowpoke talking about having a life. You have none!, lol
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 05, 2009
A certain "Nosa-Henry" flagged this post as grammatically bad . . .

Hi Akpangbon,
Tx, I have actually called a friend to help find out some facts and also I have been in touch with some other meaningful people. I just thought since am part of this group I could seek counsel from good friends like you lot.
I have a meet with the head of school next Tuesday and I promise not to sell myself cheap!
Thanks a lot.

Dude . . . what was the problem with the red flags?

1. "been" there is the correct word and spelling to use.

2. "meaningful people" is correct in that context.

3. "am" is wrong - should have been i'm. Lets chalk that down to an error while rushing to type.

4. "meet" . . . could actually be correct if used as a noun. For instance . . . a sports meet.
She could have used "meeting" to make is sound more correct to those who only assume english words have just one meaning.

5. "head of school" . . . what was wrong with that?

I see a lot have jumped on the "bad grammar" bandwagon without even bothering to read through Immabel's posts at all.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 11:25pm On May 05, 2009
@Davidylan,

Don't come here and disgrace me o. From the title of the thread which is now corrected, to every post made by the poster, you will find issues, and some consistent.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 11:26pm On May 05, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,

Don't come here and disgrace me o. From the title of the thread which is now corrected, to every post made by the poster, you will find issues, and some consistent.

Where are they? I just took on Nosa-Henry's own post . . . i found only one error. Show us your own.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 11:38pm On May 05, 2009
@Davidylan,

Can anybody give me an idea of how much the international schools in Nigeria pays, schools such as British International School. I have just been offered an appointment as the head of English Dept in one of the International schools in Nigeria and I have a meeting to negotiate the contract next week. As I am in the U.K, I will like to have an idea of what they will be paying so that I can negotiate fairly.
Hope somebody out there has an idea.

Thanks all.
That is noteworthy considering the title of the thread was changed from that. Same error consecutively means there is problem somewhere. By the way, where was the '?' ?

Tx, I have actually called a friend to help find out some facts and also I have been in touch with some other meaningful people. I just thought since am part of this group I could seek counsel from good friends like you lot.
I have a meet with the head of school next Tuesday and I promise not to sell myself cheap!
Thanks a lot.

Need I say more?
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 05, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
That is noteworthy considering the title of the thread was changed from that. Same error consecutively means there is problem somewhere.  By the way, where was the '?' ?

Simple error that is very frequent from pretty much every poster . . . the only problem is the "s" placed after "pay".
You dont need the "?" . . . this is an informal forum. Most times i skip it.

Tayo-D:

Need I say more?

- The first one was wrong - "am" should be "i'm" . . . and i already mentioned that.

- "like you lot" is CORRECT. Please expand your vocabulary. Example - I'm amused by you lot.

from the Websters Dictionary - 4. A separate portion; a number of things taken collectively;
      all objects sold in a single purchase transaction; as, a
      lot of stationery; -- colloquially, sometimes of people;
      as, a sorry lot; a bad lot

- "I have a meet with the" is also CORRECT if meet is used as a noun there. Again expand your vocabulary . . . what if i said something like this . . . "i have an appointment at a high school meet"? Would that be wrong?

She may however have meant to say "meeting" and simply forgot to add the "ing".
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by TayoD1(m): 11:59pm On May 05, 2009
@Davidylan,

Simple error that is very frequent from pretty much every poster . . . the only problem is the "s" placed after "pay".
It is not a simple error when it occurs everytime the person constructs such sentences.  It shows a fundamental flaw.

Maybe. But with the other issues already pointed out, you will excuse if one gets a little more critical, especially for someone who is to be paid to teach the language.

- The first one was wrong - "am" should be "i'm" . . . and i already mentioned that.
Your point?

- "like you lot" is CORRECT. Please expand your vocabulary. Example - I'm amused by you lot.
That is bad use of the word.  There is nothing like "you lot". "sorry lot" and "bad lot" are used differently.

- "I have a meet with the" is also CORRECT if meet is used as a noun there. Again expand your vocabulary . . . what if i said something like this . . . "i have an appointment at a high school meet"? Would that be wrong?
Question.  Did she use it as a noun?  If your answer is a "no", then I wonder what your point is. The word is used as a verb in the sentence.

I applaud your desire to believe the best of her.  However, with the backdrop of the Kwara teachers that I mentioned earlier, I find myself a little more critical of things like this. How you can mistake meeting for meet is beyond me.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by stalliontp(m): 12:11am On May 06, 2009
davidylan:

from the Websters Dictionary - 4. A separate portion; a number of things taken collectively;
      all objects sold in a single purchase transaction; as, a
      lot of stationery; -- colloquially, sometimes of people;
      as, a sorry lot; a bad lot

Thanks man! i visit here a lot because i like reading posts from smart people like Davidylan, Debosky , kobo, smthing and  some others. And at the risk of joining issues with that thing calling himself Tayo-D. He should know that it's not all about the intent , rather the approach. He should learn that you can still bring notice to peoples mistake and still get a thank you response from the other party instead of trying to show how good he was when he was only being a 33 yr old brat, i couldn't believe his age after checking out his profile , he had been acting and talking like a teenager. Someone (Davidylan) with a better and wider grasp of the english  language is advising you to broaden your horizon.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by Nobody: 1:58am On May 06, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
It is not a simple error when it occurs everytime the person constructs such sentences.  It shows a fundamental flaw.

The OP posted only 3 (THREE) times . . . out of the 3 posts you could only pull out ONE CASE where she pluralised wrongly . . . and you call it a "fundamental flaw"?

Tayo-D:

Maybe. But with the other issues already pointed out, you will excuse if one gets a little more critical, especially for someone who is to be paid to teach the language.

So because she's an english teacher she's expected to write on informal forums with perfect syntax? Are we grading posts now?

Tayo-D:

Your point?

Precisely what i said. Writing "am" when you meant to write "i'm" is a common mistake. Note also that this only happened ONCE.

Tayo-D:

That is bad use of the word.  There is nothing like "you lot". "sorry lot" and "bad lot" are used differently.

Perhaps you people correcting her need to return to english classes yourselves.

You said and i quote - "there is nothing like[i] you lot[/i]" . . . well from the Websters dictionary again -

4[b] informal a [count] chiefly Brit [/b]: all the members of a group of people —usually singular ▪ Do you know the lot [=bunch, crowd] that hang around the arcade? ▪ That lot will never amount to anything! They're a thoroughly bad lot. ▪ Pipe down, the (whole) lot of you. = Pipe down, you lot. ◊In British English, a person who is not liked is sometimes described as a bad lot. ▪ He may be a bit wild, but he's not a bad lot once you get to know him. b the lot : all the things of a group ▪ They sell tuxedos, business suits, casual wear…the lot. ▪ This one's the best of the lot.

"Sorry lot" and "bad lot" are NOT used differently like you said . . . the use of the word "lot" is clearly the same in both cases as it refers to a collection of people.

Tayo-D:

Question.  Did she use it as a noun?  If your answer is a "no", then I wonder what your point is. The word is used as a verb in the sentence.

But you dont know . . . she didnt specify that . . . you're only assuming so as to force your own point.

Tayo-D:

I applaud your desire to believe the best of her.  However, with the backdrop of the Kwara teachers that I mentioned earlier, I find myself a little more critical of things like this. How you can mistake meeting for meet is beyond me.

The difference between "meeting" and meet" is whether it is used as a verb or noun or a simple "ing". Common error that the poster could easily rectify. There are worse english blunders out there.
Re: How Much Do International Schools In Nigeria Pay? by BigBro(m): 8:55am On May 06, 2009
The attitude of some members of this forum is unbecoming and unwholesome and is making the site uninteresting. While it is right to correct somebody where he/she goes wrong, it should'nt be done by way of assulting and castigating the person. arrogance portrays uncivility and illiteracy in a person even if that person claims to be educated. Please let our education manifest in our approach to issues and in the way we interact with one another. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

KPMG Nigeria Graduate Trainees Programme 2015 / 2016 / How Did You Cope After Getting A New Job Without Cash At Hand? / How Best Do I Answer These Interview Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.