Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,600 members, 7,816,489 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation (27464 Views)

Senate Crisis Gets Messier / Ohamai Godwin (@MrFixNigeria) Dumps PDP Over Amaechi's Screening / Senate Crisis: NASS Clerk Faces Trial As Police Establish Forgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by DONSMITH123(m): 7:06am On Oct 21, 2015
•Plenary adjourned
for Saraki’s trial

Rather than abate, the crisis over the screening of ministerial nominee Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi is deepening at the Senate.

Yesterday, his name was removed from the Order Paper after being listed among the eight nominees for screening.

The number was pruned to three – Adebayo Shittu (Oyo), Hajia Khadija Abba-Ibrahim (Yobe) and Claudius Daramola (Ondo), who was not on the first Order Paper.

Only Shittu and Hajia Abba-Ibrahim were, however, screened.

On the first Order Paper before Amaechi’s name was removed are Shittu, Hajia Abba Ibrahim, Senator Heineken Lokpobiri (Bayelsa), Bawa Bwari (Niger), James Ocholi (Kogi), Mansur Muhammed (Zamfara) and Zainab Ahmed (Kaduna).

Amaechi, who is on the first list of 21 nominees sent to the Senate by President Muhammadu Buhari on September 30, has not been screened because of the petition filed against him by the self-styled The Integrity Group.

Amaechi has since denied the allegation against him and taken the matter to court.

The Senate yesterday suspended plenary today without stating reasons. But, it may not be unconnected with the resumption of Senate President Bukola Saraki’s trial before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) for alleged false assets declaration today.

The Senate Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions Committee which considered the petition against Amaechi was set to submit its findings yesterday but the report’s submission was also deleted from the Order Paper.

Its Chairman Senator Samuel Anyanwu was listed to submit the report before the item, just like Amaechi’s name, was removed from the Order Paper.

No reasons were given for the removal. Efforts to find out why they were removed failed.

At the office of the Chairman, Senate Committee on Rules and Business, Senator Babajide Omoworare, nobody was ready to speak on the matter. An aide, after conferring with the lawmaker, told The Nation: “The time and terrain are too sensitive, so oga willnot say a word.”

But, it was learnt that “the leadership of the Senate decided to shift Amaechi’s screening to pave the way for constructive consultation with hardliner Senators, particularly of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).”

According to a source, the Senate leadership decided to shorten plenary to allow time for a meeting of the PDP caucus.

No member of the caucus spoke to reporters after the meeting but an insider said they were unable to resolve how to treat Amaechi’s case.

The source noted that while a few members of the caucus “wanted us to soft pedal and support the nomination of Amaechi, others were vehement that we should not back down on our stand .”

He added: “It is an open ended situation. Anything can still happen between today and tomorrow. The PDP caucus has not concluded. Nothing is cast in iron in politics. Some thing can still happen.”

The caucus, he said, would still meet at the party headquarters on the issue.

Another source said it was wrong of the Senate to continue to delay Amaechi’s screening.

According to the source, if Amaechi is screened, the Senate has the right to confirm or reject his nomination.

He said: “Even though PDP senators are insisting that Amaechi should not be screened, it is better for us to screen the nominee and take a decision on him. I have it on good authority that most PDP Senators have vowed to stop Amaechi’s screening but at the end of the day, good conscience will prevail because we are talking to one another on this sensitive issue.”

At his screening, Shittu described the upper chamber as “the most productive Senate on the soil of Africa.”

The nominee said if he is confirmed he would do his best to ensure that the Executive and the National Assembly work in tandem for the country’s development.

He said: “If confirmed, I will be a round peg in any ministerial posting that I’m given.”

Shittu denied that he was indicted by a panel for religious intolerance in Oyo State, nothing that he was in Saudi Arabia when the incident occurred and couldn’t have had anything to do with it.

The panel that investigated the matter, he said, never invited him, adding that the list of those invited was gazetted.

The panel, he said, merely “advised him” to refrain from writing books that could inflame religious passion, adding: “It was only an advice and not an indictment.”

Shittu said the government had since pardoned all those indicted by the panel.

On why he lost his governorship election in 2011 on the Congress for progressive Change (CPC) platform, the nominee said he did not lose because of his personality.

He said he lost because “the whole of South West people decided to vote for the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).”

Shittu said: “It was obvious in 2011 that in the whole of the Southwest, the ACN was the party to beat. If you have all the money and you are the best candidate our people have already formed their opinion about the party to vote for. My loss was not about my personality but about the opinion of the Southwest to vote for ACN.”

He said going to the ministry of culture and tourism would not be going to a foreign land because he had done it before.

The nominee said he was part of the people who crafted the APC manifesto, with the hope that if implemented, the country would have a new lease of life.

The students feeding programme of the APC if implemented, he said, would not only create jobs for Nigerians but would also attract many children to school.

The nominee noted that as a Muslim, his world view and aspiration were in line with what Islam teaches.

Shittu said he would never support coercing people to embrace any religion against their wish.

The nominee said even if Boko Haram insurgents lay claim to Islam, their activities have nothing whatsoever to do with Islam and denied that his publication, “Path to Paradice” is the sect’s guiding principle.

Hajia Abba-Ibrahim’s screening was full of drama. Saraki described her as an affiliate member of the 8th Senate, an affiliate member of the Nigeria Governors Forum, and a three-time member of the House of Representatives.

She said her last appointment before she joined active politics was as commissioner for Transport and Energy in Yobe State, adding that she was involved in the rural electrification programme in the 17 local government area of the state.

Asked by Saraki to take the first question, her husband, Senator Bukar Abba Ibrahim asked her how she would react if “I ask you to take a bow and go.”

There was general laughter in the chamber.

When the laughter subsided, Saraki asked the nominee to take a bow and go.

Senator Athanasius Achonu (Imo North) told the Senate that he has 10 petitions against the nomination of Professor Anthony Anwukah.

The petitions were referred to the ethics committee.

Anyanwu asked the Senate to give the committee time to treat the petitions since 10 petitions could not be treated in one day.

Sixteen other ministerial nominees are awaiting to be screened.

http://thenationonlineng.net/senates-crisis-over-amaechi-deepens/

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by BlackrulesDworld(m): 7:09am On Oct 21, 2015
Amaechi how market?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:11am On Oct 21, 2015
Amaechi will be made a minister come rain come shine and not even wike can stop him.

Quote me and you die! grin

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by SmithEnemona(m): 7:13am On Oct 21, 2015
grin grin grin grin Am just sick and tired of Amaechi case, they should give this man minister abeg.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by braine(m): 7:14am On Oct 21, 2015
OnankpaBa:
Amaechi will be made a minister come rain come shine and not even wike can stop him.

grin

They're just making the man popular and making him seem like the victim.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by Ebubeslym(m): 7:14am On Oct 21, 2015
When a man is not at peace with his people.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by godoluwa(m): 7:15am On Oct 21, 2015
we shall see

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by oluwaSmith1(f): 7:15am On Oct 21, 2015
Am in Amaechi house for a support. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I will be back.

2 Likes

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by eleko1: 7:16am On Oct 21, 2015
Usual wailing. Whether those Pdpagans like it or not,AMEACHI nah confam minister cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by Tallesty1(m): 7:16am On Oct 21, 2015
OnankpaBa:

I am still aliveundecided

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:17am On Oct 21, 2015
braine:

grin

They're just making the man popular and making him seem like the victim.

my brother, the senate knew what they are doing. Forget them. It will suprise you the way Amaechi will be screen or even ask to take a bow.

2 Likes

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:18am On Oct 21, 2015
eleko1:
Usual wailing. Whether those Pdpagans like it or not,AMEACHI nah confam minister cool

God bless you jare...may God sugar your tea grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:18am On Oct 21, 2015
Tallesty1:
I am still aliveundecided

You bi my guy na.... grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by DONSMITH123(m): 7:20am On Oct 21, 2015
oluwaSmith1:
Am in Amaechi house for a support. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I will be back.

If i hear say you go Amaechi house ehen? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by DONSMITH123(m): 7:21am On Oct 21, 2015
OnankpaBa:

I quote you my guy....Are you now Amaechi's advocate? grin grin grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by kossyablaze(m): 7:23am On Oct 21, 2015
Make dem free this man na!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:23am On Oct 21, 2015
DONSMITH123:

I quote you my guy....Are you now Amaechi's advocate? grin grin grin

Sir Don grin

Amaechi has done alot to bring changes to our democracy.

16 Years of PDP in power, what are their achievement. Amaechi end it all and they are angry for that. Simple.

3 Likes

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by absoluteSuccess: 7:23am On Oct 21, 2015
Incresting things happening this days at the senate, incredibly interesting politics going on.
Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by buzquet(m): 7:23am On Oct 21, 2015
Ameachi the lion of rivers

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by oluwaSmith1(f): 7:25am On Oct 21, 2015
DONSMITH123:

If i hear say you go Amaechi house ehen? grin grin grin

Sir DON, Sir DON!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Uncle lalasticlala see early morning food for the wailers o grin

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by jumper524(m): 7:27am On Oct 21, 2015
if afta all dis amaechi becomes minister then our senators are real bunch of ediots

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:29am On Oct 21, 2015
jumper524:
if afta all dis amaechi becomes minister then our senators are real bunch of ediots

bros bone english. Amaechi will become a minister and nothing gonna happen.

Quote me anywhere!

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by dayo23(f): 7:30am On Oct 21, 2015
Ameachi will be made minister and nothing will happen, NASS are just deceiving the wailers

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:34am On Oct 21, 2015
dayo23:
Ameachi will be made minister and nothing will happen, NASS are just deceiving the wailers

Thank you my guy.

TonyeBarcanista is out doing his research, he'll soon come here to tell us how Amaechi dealt with his Hero GEJ.

The Amaechi will be confirm, i wonder where the likes of Barcanister will be.

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by Aufbauh(m): 7:35am On Oct 21, 2015
I hardly hear of these many petitions against ministerial nominees during the PDP era.

It seems as if the elites are not comfortable with the 'change movement' simply because they are not having their ways as usual.
The most unfortunate observations is the sinful support of our impoverished & victimised youth of these political cankerworms who careless about the common man.
Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by SmithEnemona(m): 7:38am On Oct 21, 2015
OnankpaBa:

Thank you my guy.

TonyeBarcanista is out doing his research, he'll soon come here to tell us how Amaechi dealt with his Hero GEJ.

The Amaechi will be confirm, i wonder where the likes of Barcanister will be.

Guy, i say make they give ur man Minister make we rest o..

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 7:39am On Oct 21, 2015
SmithEnemona:

Guy, i say make they give ur man Minister make we rest o..

surely, he'll become a minister. Am certain about that.
Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by DONSMITH123(m): 7:45am On Oct 21, 2015
oluwaSmith1:

Sir DON, Sir DON!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Uncle lalasticlala see early morning food for the wailers o grin

grin

1 Like

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by dazdilijae(m): 7:49am On Oct 21, 2015
It's a lobbying game, that's how politics is played. Ameachi is the joker the PDP has against PMB so handle it well n most corruption cases wld die a natural death. In my view PMB should leave dis Ameachi cos he is 2 desperate n wld @ d end distroy his govt. Just my opinion
One love

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by ellabooz(f): 7:49am On Oct 21, 2015
This man should be sacrificed on the alter of kwaroption simple.

There comes a time when even a king favourite fall out favour to serve a purpose. Amechi serves that purpose best
Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by eleko1: 7:58am On Oct 21, 2015
Amin.Ise.
OnankpaBa:

God bless you jare...may God sugar your tea grin grin
Re: Senate’s Crisis Over Amaechi Deepens - The Nation by OnankpaBa(m): 8:09am On Oct 21, 2015
eleko1:
Amin.Ise.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki Releases Details Of National Assembly 2018 Budget To The Public / Buhari And Jega At Leadership Newspapers' Awards In Abuja / Ahmed Buhari Withdraws From 2019 Presidential Race, Declares Support For PMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.