Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,206 members, 7,867,505 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:13 PM

Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife (366 Views)

Igwe Ralph Ekpeh, Eze Enugwu-ukwu Na Umunri: A Call For Justice. / Anambra Massacre: Sen. Andy Uba Weeps, Gives Aide To Victims, Calls For Justice / Fulani Herdsmen Block Major Road In Abuja Central With Their Cattle (See Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife by call4justice: 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
My name is Mrs. Okeke, a graduate and a small scale business woman.

Four years ago sometime in June, 2011, I received a call from a staff of one of the major Nigerian banks. She (the staff) had gotten my contact details from the internet and thus, the call. She called with regards to me designing a concept the bank needed at the time. I was invited to meet the bank’s committee (I was told a committee was set up for the project) at the bank’s head office.

At the head office, I met with the leader/representative of the committee in her office. She briefed me on what was required - to design a concept in theme with the banks logo and colours and to ensure my designs had an African context to it.

At the time this was happening, I had just put to bed and my baby was barely a week and a half to 2 weeks old. I had just gone through a very complicated and most traumatic childbirth labour (hospital records will ascertain this) and was supposed to be resting. But, I was jobless and any means to make a modest support for my family was welcome. So at the risk to my own health and with my afterbirth lochia still flowing, I heeded the call and did everything within my power to get the design(s) completed within the allotted time frame.

I submitted several entries/designs to the same woman at the head office with the hope that at least, one of my designs would meet the bank’s needs. She knew very well that I had just had a baby because I told her, and I was always in a hurry to submit, leave and hurriedly get back to my baby.

The arrangement was that the designer with the winning design would be contacted to conclude the transaction. I never heard from them. Severally I called and checked to inquire if any of my designs were selected, severally my inquiry met with a rude rebuff stating that the committee was yet to reach a decision. Some months later, after her worst rude rebuff ever, I concluded my design(s) didn’t make the selection and I simply moved on.

Recently, I walked into one of the bank’s branches for a transaction and I was shocked to see my design in full use by all the staff of the said bank. Further research showed that the design had been in use for about 2-3 years now and still counting. I even learnt that the design was also in use by the banks’ branches in other African countries.

I tried contacting the bank for a redress via a courier sent letter and all I received from the bank was a shoddily sent letter referring my case to their internal audit group. The letter came in unsealed (two stapler pin marks were on it but the stapler pins were missing), roughly packaged and was not even delivered to me. It was actually delivered to an elderly tailor in a nearby tailor’s shop. The tailor swears- and he has witnesses too – the envelope was given to him unsealed and he was asked to deliver it to me. The manner in which the letter was sent to me shows complete and total disregard for my person.

Shortly after, I spoke with the “supposed” (I used the word supposed because, at this stage, I no longer have confidence in anything they say) internal audit representative over the telephone. He’d assured that the bank will do everything within its power to resolve the issue. He (the auditor) wrote me an email requesting that I fix a convenient time to meet with them in one of the bank’s branches (not the head office). I replied the email stating a convenient date and time for me to meet with them. I also insisted in the email that I was only willing to meet with any of the bank’s representative at the head office -and not in any other branch whose branch address/location is not even on their official website. Since then, I have heard nothing from them.

My questions are: Who intercepted the letter sent to me from the bank? What was the purpose of opening it? The letter I received, was it even the original one the bank sent (assuming the bank actually took their time to reply)? Why invite me to a branch office that is almost in the middle of nowhere and has no mention on their official website for a discussion? Why did they suddenly stop communicating when I insisted on meeting only at the head office? Who might the top management of the bank be trying to protect by attempting to sweep my complaints and demands under the carpet?

My guess is that someone or some people in the management level is/are involved in this unlawful maneuver and outright injustice. My guess is also that they can tell that I do not have the means to afford the services of a top shot lawyer to represent me and they want to take advantage of that- just as they took advantage of the fact that I was desperate and had just given birth and couldn’t effectively monitor and track the design selection process.

I won’t be able to share the deeper details on this page just yet. I will share all the intricate details with my lawyer.

I am using this medium to tell my story. I am hopeful that my story will attract capable lawyer(s) who can take on my case and not be intimidated by the size of the organization or be influenced by the corruption I sense at the management level. I am seeking for justice against this bank that abused and infringed upon both my copyrights and human rights.

I still believe there’s justice in Nigeria. I still believe there are lawyers who are capable of defending a true cause. The bank “used and dumped me”; they unlawfully took over my concept.

I am trusting in the good will of top Nigerian lawyers to come to my defense. I am trusting in the Nigerian judicial system for justice. I am trusting in the power of the court of the people – the media- both online and offline. Above all, I am trusting in the true justice that comes only from the Most High God.

If you are a lawyer or you know someone who is and is capable of taking on this case, please send an email to call4justice1@gmail.com.

I will appreciate your constructive comments on how best to tackle this issue below.

I simply refuse to be “robbed”!
Re: Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife by kemlily(f): 12:04pm On Oct 21, 2015
Re: Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife by call4justice: 12:17pm On Oct 21, 2015
There has to be someone who has constructive advice. It just isn't right nor fair that this bank gets away with idea/design theft.
Re: Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife by eagle13(m): 12:44pm On Oct 21, 2015
Victory n justice is yours madam.do not relent
Re: Call For Justice: How A Major Nigerian Bank Cheated A Simple Nigerian Housewife by call4justice: 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2015
Thank you @Eagle13. I am sure i will get the victory and justice i deserve.

(1) (Reply)

Don't Let Fear Stop You (2). / Breaking News / Keep Your Eyes On Jesus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.