Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,801 members, 7,866,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 11:42 AM

"God Cannot Be Tempted. Jesus Was Tempted. Therefore, Jesus Cannot Be God". How? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "God Cannot Be Tempted. Jesus Was Tempted. Therefore, Jesus Cannot Be God". How? (6135 Views)

Joshua Iginla Visits Holy Sepulchre Where Jesus Was Crucified & Buried (pics) / Who Created God? How Did He Come To Be? / If They Make Fun Of Your 'god' How Do You Feel Deep Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: "God Cannot Be Tempted. Jesus Was Tempted. Therefore, Jesus Cannot Be God". How? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:36pm On Nov 01, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus as one person with two natures

GOD:
He is worshiped (Matt. 2:2, 11, 14:33, 28:9)
He is prayed to (Acts 7:59, 1 Cor. 1:1-2)
He was called God (John 20:28, Heb. 1:8.)
He was called Son of God (Mark 1:1)
He is sinless (1 Pet. 2:22, Heb. 4:15)
He knew all things (John 21:17)
He gives eternal life (John 10:28.)
The fullness of deity dwells in Him (Col. 2:9)

MAN:
He worshiped the Father (John 17)
He prayed to the Father (John 17:1)
He was called man (Mark 15:39, John 19:5).
He was called Son of Man (John 9:35-37)
He was tempted (Matt. 4:1)
He grew in wisdom (Luke 2:52)
He died (Rom. 5:8.)
He has a body of flesh and bones (Luke 24:39)

To be continued...

We see from Scripture that Jesus' human nature never existed apart from the union of His divine nature. We also see in Scripture that God cannot sin and that in Christ dwelt the fullness of the Godhead in bodily form (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2:9). Therefore, since we acknowledge that Jesus was divine, we could easily conclude that it was not possible for Jesus to have sinned. On the other hand, Jesus was truly man. Therefore, it is fair to say that Jesus could have been truly tempted. But, the question persists: if it was not possible for Jesus to have sinned, then how could He be truly tempted? I do not know if I have a sufficient answer to this, but I will offer one anyway.

First of all, is it possible for God to be tempted? Yes, it is. Psalm 106:13-15 says, "They quickly forgot His works; They did not wait for His counsel, 14But craved intensely in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert. 15So He gave them their request, but sent a wasting disease among them." (NASB). The Hebrew word for "tempt" here is nasaw. According to the Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon, it means to "to test, try, prove, tempt, assay, put to the proof or test." The NIV says, "They put God to the test." The KJV says, "and tempted God in the desert." The NKJV says, "and tested God in the desert." The 1901 ASV says, "and tempted God in the desert." Therefore, we can see that God was "tempted in the desert." Yet, this temptation in no way negates the divinity of God Himself.

In the New Testament, when Jesus is tempted in Matt. 4, the word for tempt is peirazo. Again, according to the Enhanced Strong's Lexicon, it means "to try whether a thing can be done," 2) to try, make trial of, test: for the purpose of ascertaining his quantity or what he thinks or how he will behave himself, 2c) to try or test one’s faith, virtue, character, by enticement to sin."

We can see in both cases that it was God who was tested. In the Old Testament, God was being tempted, that is, being put to test in the wilderness even as Jesus was being tempted (put to test) in the wilderness in the New Testament. This temptation can occur without God sinning. Furthermore, this temptation or testing is not a challenge to the deity of Christ any more than it was a challenge to the divinity of God in the Old Testament.

In addition, all that Jesus did, He did by looking to the Father. Jesus said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner," (John 5:19). Also, Jesus said, "I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me," (John 5:30).

In Matt. 12:22-32, Jesus was casting out demons. The Pharisees accused Jesus of doing this by the power of the devil. Jesus replied to them that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would not be forgiven. Why did He say this? I believe that it is because Jesus did none of His miracles out of His own divine nature but did them as a man working through and by the Holy Spirit who indwelt Him. Therefore, Jesus was casting out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit. We see that Jesus' miracles began after His baptism and that is when the Holy Spirit descended upon Him.

Jesus came as a man in order to fulfill the law of God and to be the sacrifice for sin. He did this as a man. When He resisted the temptations of the devil, He quoted Scripture--as a man. He did not at that time rely on His divine nature when going about His earthly ministry in Israel. As a man, He was tempted, and as a man, He resisted temptation by relying on God's Word. He cast out demons by the Holy Spirit and not by His own divine nature. Therefore, Jesus was tempted in His human nature--not in His divine. He did not rely on His divine "side" to help Him out. Instead, He completely relied on the Father, the Holy Spirit, and God's Word to successfully resist the temptations that came to Him.

Therefore, I conclude that Jesus could not have sinned but that He could be tempted, that is, He could have a sinful option presented to Him--as was presented to God in the wilderness--yet Jesus would not have sinned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "God Cannot Be Tempted. Jesus Was Tempted. Therefore, Jesus Cannot Be God". How? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09am On Nov 02, 2015
QED. Simples. wink
Re: "God Cannot Be Tempted. Jesus Was Tempted. Therefore, Jesus Cannot Be God". How? by Anas09: 10:55am On Nov 02, 2015
Aaahhhhh. These JW guys sef.

Your religating the Holy Spirit to being just an active force, is your very undoing. Hence, you look at Scriptures and jump over them and hold unto the 'letter of the Word'.

2 Corinthians 3:6. Who also has made us able ministers of the new testament;not of the letter but of the SPIRIT; for the letter killed but the spirit giveth life.

As long as u look at the scriptures with ur carnal eyes and perceptions, you'll always see what you want to see, not what is there.
That said.

@Jesechah. I don't seem to grasp who you really are. Are you team MsJanet as in Atheist or team JW? And, I have some questions for you.

1.Do you believe that a man has body, soul and spirit?
2) Do you believe in after life?
3) At what point does man seizes to exist?
4) What does it mean to seize to exist?
5) WHERE does man seizes to exist?
Is it in the physical, material, mortal, concious state/realm or in the spirit realm?
6). Can you read Eccl 9:5 again? For the living KNOW that they shall die, but the dead know not anything, niether have they any more REWARD(in the land of the living) for the memory of them is long forgotten(by men, in the land of the living).

2003, I had a near death experience. If I had died then, nothing of me would ve remanind of me in the land of the living, even in my mother's Memory, I will be shadowy.
What this scripture is saying is that, When a man dies, his momery as partains to the land of the living terminates, he lies in a state of conciouslessness until he is called up again on the day of Resurrection.
Wen you are called forth, your memories springs back to life as at wen u left off. Eg, am typing this message with my phone in front of me. I know what am doing, where I am, and who I am. If an armed robber batches in here and shuts me, I'll die, my last memories will be what I'm doing now. If I die "dead to the world, seizes to exist as far as the material world is concerned, my age, sex will not change. The day I resurrect I'll know exactly who I was, what I was doing with whichbody I did what.
Wht do I need my body? because as a lady, there are sins only me lady can commit. The sin of Lasciviousness. (Wen I dress showing my body or pprivate parts with the intent of cuasing the opposit folk to lust, thereby fall into sin) I sin.
Have u wondered why humans needs to pick up their bodies to stand judgement? because everything we did, we did in our bodies. Or probably, you believe that spirits die?

@CANTICLES. You are holding unto the wicked will seize to exist, ignoring so many scriptures that clearly states that everyone will give account of how they lived their lives in the flesh. Even the words we speak jokingly, we shall account for them.
JW, what's the need for accountability if, after wards, no purnishement is metted out to the offender? Why are JW's not stealing, killing and doing untold wickedness, afterall, its anahiliation they'll face no prunishment? This is a lie from the pit of hell. Satan in the details.

And again I ask you, JW don't believ in the afterlife?
Be plain so that we know.

See, wen I meet Johnnydon22, I know he doesn't believe in afterlif, so I know what to expect. Let me know now, do u or do u not believe in after life?
What does 'for ever and ever' means to you?
Do you even believe in Jesus christ? Do you believe in redemption, atonement, and propitiation? If you do, why do you think christ died and went to hades?
You asked a question 'was christ a wicked man, to have gone to hell?'
Again, do u believe Christ broke the chains of eternal death and freed man? If yes where and how did he do it? While he was dead or while he was alive?

Did christ died and went to hell as a sinner or he had to die to access the realm , because thats where the power of dead is, just like he had to take up a body in other to also access the material realm (earth) where dead is eminent as a result of sin? Hence also be able to die to pay for that sin? Why wasn't Christ kept back from resurrecting?

@CANTICLES. Are you implying that Rev 20:14 means something else otherthan what it is saying? This guy.

Death and Hell/Hades shall be cast into the lake of fire.
What you shd ask is, what is death what is hell/Hades?

Are they men or spirits?
Who are those to be thrown into the lake of fire? Humans or spirits?

Let me use an allusion from the greek mytholy to explain this. Hades, is a man/spirit unders whose authority every dead is under or submits to. Hades is also the name of his kingdom, where he rules supreme.

Remember, Haddes, a name or a force controlling a territory. According to that same greek mythology, Hades was challenged for the first time when a force higher that him/it (believed to be Christ) broke through and carried out certain activities, which hades couldn't stop.

Now, if Hades, him/location is going to be judged based on the activities carried out in that location, what do u think will happen there? The Bible says, Hades will give up the souls from him/it. Can't you see that Hades, the man/force, controlling hades/location, will be the one cast into the part that burns eternally, thus, bringing to an end the activities in Hades/location?

You are clearly seeing scriptures, but are skipping here and there like a man standing on ants.
The spirit of arguement is the spirit of satan.
Enough said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mavenbox(m) Declares: I'm Actually Male, Not Female. / Why Did God Not Pierce Holes On Our Ears? / Its Sunday: What Are You Asking God For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.