Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? (3894 Views)

Honda Element Or Corolla Sport 04 / Hyundai Cars Or Kia Sephia II As First Car / Advices On A Kia Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 12:35am On Oct 23, 2015
Hi guys. I need advice please.
I'm torn between two cars that I really love - the Kia Soul and the Honda Element.
I have two actual buying options. The Kia Soul on ground is Nigerian used but extremely clean. 2011 with mileage of 54,982.
It was used by a good friend of mine who only drives it from her house in VI to her office and church in Lekki. Mostly sha, it is driven on the island.
The Honda Elements are two and both are tokunbo: There is a 2003 model for 1.4m and a 2007 model for 1.55m (haven't negotiated yet).
Both are very clean but of course the 07 is cleaner. Both have good mileage (can't remember their exact figures.)
Please car gurus, help me make an informed decision on the better car.
Don't try to discourage me; I have heard all sorts about their ugliness and bla bla. Me I like am and I hear they both perform beautifully but which would be easier for a young lady to handle? This will be my second car and I want to get it right.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Elypsis(m): 12:45am On Oct 23, 2015
I think the kia soul is more efficient compared to element. Remember honda products and their attendant ball joint issues.moreover the kia soul is more classy and posh

1 Like

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 12:55am On Oct 23, 2015
Elypsis:
I think the kia soul is more efficient compared to element. Pemeber honda products and their attendant ball joint issues.moreover the kia soul is more classy and posh

I see your point dear but another thing is that I'm tall and plus size so I usually feel like a full-blown SUV would suit me better. Although the Soul is rather spacious and swallows me up nicely. What do you think?
Also are Kia parts readily available in open market?
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Elypsis(m): 1:02am On Oct 23, 2015
Definitely!
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Nobody: 1:42am On Oct 23, 2015
Kia Soul is it! It won't swallow you up in the drivers seat and has a more responsive engine whose wheels are not prone to flying off while being driven. cool
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:24am On Oct 23, 2015
two ugly cars, take soul.

1 Like

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by sultaan(m): 7:10am On Oct 23, 2015
I need to know what you first car was and why you are moving away from it.If there are attributes you hate in cars let us know so we'll guide you away from cars that have that

Kia Soul was a lot cheaper that the Element so the Soul sent the Element, Scion B (toyota) and Cube out of the market so there must be something they are doing right get the soul will go to my friend who just bought a new one 2 months ago and get feedback
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 9:06am On Oct 23, 2015
sultaan:
I need to know what you first car was and why you are moving away from it.If there are attributes you hate in cars let us know so we'll guide you away from cars that have that

Kia Soul was a lot cheaper that the Element so the Soul sent the Element, Scion B (toyota) and Cube out of the market so there must be something they are doing right get the soul will go to my friend who just bought a new one 2 months ago and get feedback

It was a '99 Corolla. Bought it 3 years ago but I think it had been used by a taxi driver prior. There were just so many things wrong with the damn thing. It was also too low for me and tight. It was damn fuel efficient tho. That's what I'll miss about it.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by fanex: 9:15am On Oct 23, 2015
100% in agreement with GAZZUZZ
GAZZUZZ:
two ugly cars, take soul.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by nigeriancuban: 1:09pm On Oct 23, 2015
with the whole recommendations to pick kia soul it will be very unwise to go for Honda....
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by salvo583: 1:31pm On Oct 23, 2015
Pick the kia soul jejely. It's in 1.6l or 2.0l kappa engine so it will be fuel efficient just as ur corolla 99. Bring am come ibadan make we use water and omo wash am 😀 in celebration
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Godprotectme: 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2015
Sister, go for d soul.

Reason: you know d one dt drove it. All them tokunbo cars are smetimes accidented, flooded, etc.

U know d owner of the soul. U knw it has never been accidented. U know it was not flooded. Ur frind has never tld u it broke down on d way. If na me, i will go ofor d soul. And u know the milege has not been doctored, reduced i mean
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by abolore80(m): 6:32pm On Oct 23, 2015
If you're gonna be driving on the island and you're not rough, you can try the element. I bet you will enjoy it, if you're a careful, caring, and a vigilant onwer. But if you will be doing more of out of lagos or rough driving. Then take the Kia soul.
Note: if you're the caring type, try the element, and if you're not caring, take the soul.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by DGD1(m): 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2015
abolore80:
If you're gonna be driving on the island and you're not rough, you can try the element. I bet you will enjoy it, if you're a careful, caring, and a vigilant onwer. But if you will be doing more of out of lagos or rough driving. Then take the Kia soul.
Note: if you're the caring type, try the element, and if you're not caring, take the soul.

did OP offend u b4?
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by sultaan(m): 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2015
MzNeeyamazing:

It was a '99 Corolla. Bought it 3 years ago but I think it had been used by a taxi driver prior. There were just so many things wrong with the damn thing. It was also too low for me and tight. It was damn fuel efficient tho. That's what I'll miss about it.

So basically you needed space which might be available in a CUV so you will need to know why the owner of the kid wants to sell and the it's is always a gamble
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by oseo1(m): 4:30am On Oct 24, 2015
I own an element and have had it a few years, it is a much stronger car than the KIA soul and much more spacious. there are pros and construction for both vehicles. The KIA soul seems like a good option in this case seeing as you can verify its history. I do generally shy away from Nigerian used cars. Our roads and driving conditions are brutal on cars, talk less of our mechanics. If the 07 element is very clean a drives nice it would b my personal choice but then again I may have biased.

3 Likes

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by insideout: 9:16am On Oct 24, 2015
kia soul is the best bet since you know the maintenance history of d car.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2015
DGD1:

did OP offend u b4?

Ah ah! I dont understand. What did he say wrong?
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2015
oseo1:
I own an element and have had it a few years, it is a much stronger car than the KIA soul and much more spacious. there are pros and construction for both vehicles. The KIA soul seems like a good option in this case seeing as you can verify its history. I do generally shy away from Nigerian used cars. Our roads and driving conditions are brutal on cars, talk less of our mechanics. If the 07 element is very clean a drives nice it would b my personal choice but then again I may have biased.
Godprotectme:
Sister, go for d soul.
Reason: you know d one dt drove it. All them tokunbo cars are smetimes accidented, flooded, etc.
U know d owner of the soul. U knw it has never been accidented. U know it was not flooded. Ur frind has never tld u it broke down on d way. If na me, i will go ofor d soul. And u know the milege has not been doctored, reduced i mean

I see your point, guys. But now, let's just assume I don't know the owner of the soul. Which is the better car in every respect?
@oseo1 - i love how boxy and cozy it is and how the seats fold up at the back so you can just camp out and chill; away from everything else. cheesy I'm a lover of all things cozy. What year is yours? Whats the fuel economy like and what are the main issues it tends to develop?

abolore80:
I won't be driving on the Island but i'm not rough.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
Element is more rigid tho as it is a Truck based CUV. But go for Soul. Tho i feel it will be more fun driving the element.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by DGD1(m): 9:08pm On Oct 24, 2015
MzNeeyamazing:

Ah ah! I dont understand. What did he say wrong?

from his words, he is trying to cajole yuh buying the element but knows it's not the better option. Vigilant, careful, not rough, driving on island alone.......
like I said before, pick dat soul 5times b4 yuh remember element was th other option.
Statistically examine the advice they av all given, the soul beats d element hands down.
yuh av final say though
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2015
Both cars are similar in size and performance. The Honda is a more established brand, the Kia is a relatively new arrival. Gas mileage of the Kia Soul is likely to be better than that of the Honda Element, which comes with just 1 engine option 2.4L, versus the Kia Soul which has 2 petrol engine options, both smaller than the Honda's 1.6/2.0L.

I have not driven the Honda Element, so I can't really say what the drive experience is like. However...I have driven the Kia Soul, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It drove really well, and the options list is longer than the Honda's. It also comes with more extras as standard, options which are extra cost on the more expensive Honda.

Both cars are boxy, with decent space.

As I stated previously, I have not driven the Honda Element, or even seen one in real life. But...I have seen them in pictures, and Nollywood movies, and boy...it IS an ugly beast, with that vast expanse of unpainted grey plastic, and dated headlamps, it looks like a clay sculpture, I doubt it would look any better in real life. Some vehicles are built ugly, and beyond redemption. You couldn't make it look pretty if you tried. Styling this car would be like putting makeup on a pig.

The cheaper Korean offering is a good-looking car in comparison, and if I were to choose one of these boxy cars, I wouldn't have to think twice before opting for the Kia Soul.

Mind you though, even a pig roughly sculptured in clay would look pretty next to the Honda Element.

1 Like

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by sultaan(m): 10:38pm On Oct 24, 2015
Very funny
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 24, 2015
Siena:
Both cars are similar in size and performance. The Honda is a more established brand, the Kia is a relatively new arrival. Gas mileage of the Kia Soul is likely to be better than that of the Honda Element, which comes with just 1 engine option 2.4L, versus the Kia Soul which has 2 petrol engine options, both smaller than the Honda's 1.6/2.0L.

I have not driven the Honda Element, so I can't really say what the drive experience is like. However...I have driven the Kia Soul, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It drove really well, and the options list is longer than the Honda's. It also comes with more extras as standard, options which are extra cost on the more expensive Honda.

As I stated previously, I have not driven the Honda Element, or even seen one in real life. But...I have seen them in pictures, and Nollywood movies, and boy...it IS an ugly beast, with that vast expanse of unpainted grey plastic, and dated headlamps, it looks like a clay sculpture, I doubt it would look any better in real life. Some vehicles are built ugly, and beyond redemption. You couldn't make it look pretty if you tried. Styling this car would be like putting makeup on a pig.

The cheaper Korean offering is a good-looking car in comparison, and if I were to choose one of these boxy cars, I wouldn't have to think twice before opting for the Kia Soul.

Mind you though, even a pig roughly sculptured in clay would look pretty next to the Honda Element.
you mean no Honda Element in the UK? The element was facelifted b4 it was discontinued anyway. The plastic claddings was painted and it had a smaller headlamp similar to that of Honda Ridgeline.

1 Like

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by abolore80(m): 11:02pm On Oct 24, 2015
If you're not rough, then you can go for the element. But, you need to be very careful, caring, and vigilant. Your being vigilant would mean that you have to pay attention to any unusual noise and ensure that you use recommended oil for both engine and the tranny. If you can do that, I bet you will enjoy your element.

I disagree with sienna, the element is built for both "on the road" and "off road". Hence, the bumper design. In terms of fuel economy, I do not think that the soul is better. It's on the equal with your former corolla.

Lastly, if you're not rough as you've asserted, then go get your element. You will enjoy it. Am sure that's what you got your mind on.

MzNeeyamazing:

I see your point, guys. But now, let's just assume I don't know the owner of the soul. Which is the better car in every respect?
@oseo1 - i love how boxy and cozy it is and how the seats fold up at the back so you can just camp out and chill; away from everything else. cheesy I'm a lover of all things cozy. What year is yours? Whats the fuel economy like and what are the main issues it tends to develop?

I won't be driving on the Island but i'm not rough.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 12:23am On Oct 25, 2015
Siena:

Ah ahn. lol. You are quite vexed with this car.
It got a facelift naw. Its much prettier now. But I love all versions of it though. This is really the one I have my eye on...if only I could afford it.
But wait, all I seem to be hearing is about its ugliness and I have already said I love how it looks. Noone has categorically stated any performance/mechanical faults common to the vehicle.

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by nurey(m): 6:16am On Oct 25, 2015
I just decided to stay off this thread inorder not to stirr trouble. But my verdict is both cars are very solid and a game player in their segment. The Element is related to the CR-V in parts and other things. But with your choice iof a 03 Element, 07 Element and 2011 kia soul, the 03 is outer the game too old to be considered against the soul, but with the pick you posted and that lovely milk colour I will pick the element 10x over the soul, even the face lifted soul is still souless to me. But that's me, I wonder how people can love Hummer, then then jeep wrangler, then toyota Fj cruiser and not love the Element, cause the element looks like a beat down version of this rides.

Last bullet High mileage doesn't mean about to die car, maintenance and cleanliness should be your watch word.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by femicousim: 9:37am On Oct 25, 2015
element aint bad, i do do an element over a soul, besides is the soul the watered-down version sold by kia in Nigeria or an american spec? cos i've worked on 2009 kia cerato that did not have airbag!
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by MzNeeyamazing(f): 12:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
femicousim:
element aint bad, i do do an element over a soul, besides is the soul the watered-down version sold by kia in Nigeria or an american spec? cos i've worked on 2009 kia cerato that did not have airbag!

Ha! I don't know o. How do I tell coz I'm sure she wont know either.
Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 25, 2015
MzNeeyamazing:
Hi guys. I need advice please.
I'm torn between two cars that I really love - the Kia Soul and the Honda Element.
I have two actual buying options. The Kia Soul on ground is Nigerian used but extremely clean. 2011 with mileage of 54,982.
It was used by a good friend of mine who only drives it from her house in VI to her office and church in Lekki. Mostly sha, it is driven on the island.
The Honda Elements are two and both are tokunbo: There is a 2003 model for 1.4m and a 2007 model for 1.55m (haven't negotiated yet).
Both are very clean but of course the 07 is cleaner. Both have good mileage (can't remember their exact figures.)
Please car gurus, help me make an informed decision on the better car.
Don't try to discourage me; I have heard all sorts about their ugliness and bla bla. Me I like am and I hear they both perform beautifully but which would be easier for a young lady to handle? This will be my second car and I want to get it right.

My opinion is that you should always buy the newest car and the lowest mileage combination on any list you arrive at.

I can't tell you what to buy but if I had your list I would buy the best Honda Element that I can afford.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Make Una Come Help Me Oooooo!!! Honda Element Or Kia Soul? by Carparts888(m): 6:13am On Nov 23, 2021
I know its an old thread but im curious to know what u picked eventually.Thanks

My opinion is that you should always buy the newest car and the lowest mileage combination on any list you arrive at.

I can't tell you what to buy but if I had your list I would buy the best Honda Element that I can afford.

Good luck.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Transaction With Gazzuzz.... / World’s Most Expensive Car Mercedes Benz Sl600 Covered With 300,000 Diamonds / Genuine Air Flow Meter Part Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.