Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,795 members, 7,956,035 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:56 PM

NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans (1005 Views)

2015 Nysc Batch B Pop: My Experiences, Photos As I Pass Out Of Service / Life After NYSC.... Your Next Task: Get A Job OR Start Your Own Business. / Nysc:Your Allowee Savings In Dollar (A15) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans by georgen2u(m): 1:38am On Oct 23, 2015
Every Year, Millions of graduates troop out from various institutions home and abroad, with a hope of craving a sustainable Life. Yes am part of those that want life to be bed of roses for all, however i will not fail to understand that Life itself ‘isn’t fair’ and for every action there must be a reaction to it.

I am not here to praise myself because I have made terrible mistakes i wish I could change from the past, but what i will never attempt is to repeat the same mistake or keep on living in it

Nigeria is a country with many crisis, ranging from corruption to insurgency , unemployment etc “We” The Younger generations are worst hit by Unemployment and this is where i will lay down my average Nigerian advice for any graduate or upcoming Graduate that cares to know or attempt to break away from this unemployment Jinx

Education Polishes you but what is in you Makes you Shine!

[center]
You will be wondering what this is meant?
[/center]
I have read some books, from many authors, Rich dad, Maxwell, Myles etc in all I have come to understand this. Education is great it helps you to get attention, helps you to set a standard, Pass a threshold (shine) attracts attention what is in you [/b]keeps you from blurring away or makes you standout.

I graduated since 2013 from one of the ‘unknown’ Nigerian Federal institutions, studied Animal Production, My Course itself attract mockery gestures and remarks from Novices and people who don’t care about Agriculture, some even ask ” What do they do? raise Animals like chimps and Donkeys? what of snakes? Some sign even after my explanation. Truth be told, I never wanted to study such course, my life Passion has been ICT and computer Science has been my thing, But one thing that is sure is ” noting can forge my destiny for me”

This decision Had led me to continue training and equipping myself with relevant ICT training. During My University days, I saw myself through my studies using my skills

[b]NYSC Preparation and How to make Best out of it

During my stay at home before this great opportunity, I tried to indulge in full ICT businesses, such as renting an office, equipping it and running a full time business, in fact i had in mind that by the time i will serve, i would be able to open Another Branch there ( i may not be able to detail you everything but this was my wish).

One of the bottle neck and setback you will have after conception of business Idea is Finance. When i wanted to start up the ICT Office, although I raised a good deal of cash, but it wasn’t enough. My Financial Muscle wasnt Enough but NYSC can be a succor to that!

From Camp till the last month of your Service, you will be on a stipulated stipend known as Allowance ( Allowy) This is where most young people start failing apart. being place on this Mini Salary, Dont start thinking about what to buy, where to spend it and what to wear ( Or Flex) Starting Investing in yourself through Skill Acquisition and career building courses Because this is where your journey to stardom or Slavery begins!

This period is a critical time between dependance from Family to Federal Government and Finally to Yourself after one year, having this in mind, you need to build up your Job Arsenal,Skills and Qualifications.
Vital Things you Should do during One year Compulsory Service

Build your Academic CV:

Yes some career and CV polishing programs will be available right from the Camp till your passing out. Some of this companies will offer services at reduced price for the programs. It’s true that some could be a little high but if you really know that your dream job require such Certification, why not apply for it?

Mix up and Learn New Talents

I didn’t want to say ‘Skill’ because i knew we have ‘over emphasized on it right‘? but this can not be as a developing nation Nigeria should have more of builders & Producers than Consumers. That’s right. Everyone wants a spicy job with a car or housing allowance right? But who will create it? Government?

Your Allowance and the set of friends you have made will help you start up new Ideas that could even turn to real Business, Share some inventive thoughts ( not only the thought of banging new chicks and party outbreaks should be shared) and discussion with your new friends.

Read this 6 Secrets Successful Online Entrepreneurs will never share with you

Don’t Have the Idea of Coming to Mama or Family After Service

You heard me right! A friend of mine was asking me what he will after service not to come back home because he was so terrified how it will feel like after service. Its not bad to come Back after your service but this thought should be abolish in the first place. The thought of being independence will help you figure out how to start a living on your own with or without parental assistance. This will ignite the passion to start hunting for real jobs even during your active service life.

SAVE! SAVE!! SAVE!!!

Your Allowy is your Lifeline to a sustainable future. Its really sad that present Government is yet to make the stipend more re-burst but even at that you need to Save. After the service year. The real hardship will come knocking if you were unprepared. No more alerts, Its Time to face the Labour world of warfare! Your Qualifications and Skills are your weapon to nailing that Job or dream life. Some will say i got no connection to Aso Vila. Hmm I refuse to think myopically that way.

Your Saved Allowy will see you through during this period. How would you feel as mum or dad when your grownup punk will asked you to recharge his phone, perfume or maybe even a condom! Some norms must be kept. there are certain stuff you shouldn’t involve mum or Dad. An average NYSC corp member should be able to Save between N70,000- N150,000

if you got anything below this then you were too exorbitant in your spending

ICT is Your BEST Friend

While many are busy face-booking, Instagraming and tweeting. Be busy reading, surfing for Job opportunist, Careers, Scholarships and Skills to learn. ICT will help you be informed a lot on the current trend in Labour market. What is hot, Business seminars that will help you grow

Always Have A PLAN B

Starting a Livelihood can never be overemphasized because this is what everyman desires but it’s a tussle and hassle, so there is no one way trip to it. You must be Prepared to do what ever it takes such as traveling to distance locations for interviews , Training & seminars! Your Allowy may not sustain you till then, this is the time to take a lower or cheap jobs such as teaching in smaller institutions etc. it my be derogatory to your qualification Yes i know but this is a stepping stone, This will also humble you especially when the real job roll in. Having some Job experience no matter where ever can help you even in performing greatly in the dream Job

NO JOB? Then you are Lucky! Create One!

In my final remark. The seat of leadership is for Pacesetters and Vision bearers whose aspiration and ambition has always been “ to carve out a niche for themselves”

The Skills you learnt during NYSC can put food on your table, What Skills are we referring to here?

Poultry Farming

Tailoring

Fish Farming

Shoe Making

Soap and Decorations etc, Rightly for me ICT and narrowed to WEB Designing… Its been one of the laziest of them all and most rewarding if you have the market! Am a Witness.

There are other stuff you may find viable in your locality such as selling Recharge cards or small Provision or what ever that is wort doing…. Don’t stay lazing complaining. This is the Time to take back your Destiny or whine and puff in regret. Think and Act Wisely…
Source and Credit :http://www.naijans.com/10/nysc-corpers-your-one-year-of-service-is-your-lifeline-what-you-should-know.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans by yomi007k(m): 1:49am On Oct 23, 2015
Classic write up mate wink
Re: NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans by OboloMAN: 5:37am On Oct 23, 2015
Nice one @ Op
Re: NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans by udeh3(m): 6:17am On Oct 23, 2015
I'm loving this!
Re: NYSC – Your One Year Of Service Is Your Lifeline [ What You Should Know]-naijans by georgen2u(m): 6:00pm On Oct 23, 2015
Tanks Guys.. This is a Piece of me to my Fellow Corpers

(1) (Reply)

6 NYSC Members To Repeat Service Year / Posted To Edo State / Redeploy To Any State Of Your Choice Within One Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.