Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members (7318 Views)

Privatisation: NITEL, MTEL To Employ 10,000 Nigerians – NATCOM / FAAN To Employ 720 Workers, Gets FG Approval (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by omonua85: 6:03pm On May 04, 2009
You Can't Be Employed Until You Become A Member

From today, bankers who are not a registered member of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria will have to face the full wrath of the institute. This is because the Council of the Institute will from today commence the full enforcement of the CIBN Act.

The act, which was signed into law in May 2007 by former President Olusegun Obasanjo mandated the CIBN to ensure that all bank workers are registered members of the institute. It also forbids non- members of the institute to head any technical department of a bank in Nigeria.

Specifically Section 2 (7) of the Act states “No person shall be entitled to be employed, appointed or engaged to head any of the technical departments of banks unless he is duly registered as a member of the institute.”

The President and Chairman of Council of the Institute, Mr. Erastus Akingbola, said that it will no longer be business as usual for the nation’s banks as the institute had resolved to rid the industry of quacks. Akingbola vowed that any banker who is not registered with the institute from May 4 would face the full wrath of the institute.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20090504031095

CIBN has implemented their act today 4th may '09.  You will have to b a member before you can be employed, or appointed to head a technical department in any bank in Nigeria.

If you ask me I think it's tougher times for the unemployed, knowing that the banking industry is one of the largest employer of labour. For Some of us, it time to back to study.  I would like to know what bankers, the prospective  bankers and the unemployed think abt this implementation.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Fhemmmy: 6:58pm On May 04, 2009
I will agree that there is need to control who heads what and who is in control of what, however, in a nation where anyone could get anything as long as they have what it takes, but at least it is a movt in the right direction.
But if they wanna make sure to be a receptionist in a bank, you must be a member of the CIBN, then, they sick.
And to head the IT dept, i will hope they wont be asking u to be a member of the CIBN.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by tkb417(m): 7:00pm On May 04, 2009
na by force to work for bank? grin
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Fhemmmy: 7:02pm On May 04, 2009
tkb417:

na by force to work for bank? grin

It is not by force, but if they are the one that are hiring, then, it become important.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by yicob(m): 7:29pm On May 04, 2009
This is going to be tough. Does this affect their contract staff, and Industrial Attachment students?
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Fhemmmy: 7:39pm On May 04, 2009
yicob:

This is going to be though. Does this affect their contract staff, and Industrial Attachment students?

i will assume everyone will be affected
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Jarus(m): 7:58pm On May 04, 2009
This will be very hard to implement.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Fhemmmy: 8:19pm On May 04, 2009
Fhemmmy:

that is what i thot too, and now i am sure the bad guys will start manufacturing the CIBN certificate.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by server34(m): 8:19pm On May 04, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Haba! Including IT, NYSC and Security?
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Fhemmmy: 8:41pm On May 04, 2009
server34:

Haba! Including IT, NYSC and Security?

They might wanna create a CIBN certificate Security UNit.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by omonua85: 8:42pm On May 04, 2009
It's no more enough to graduate 4rm Uni. 2 get employed. U hav to belong to one form of association to b taken seriously. But how wld u know what body to join when u are not in d system yet. It is this confusion that makes people take so many different certifications. I hav a friend who has ORACLE, JAVA, PROJECT MANAGEMENT, CISA, ICAN, MCA. Many of his certifications are irrelevant in his current job in an insurance company. I am currently serving (NYSC) and just need a job 4 just 2 yrs to raise money and build contacts, so 4rm there start my biz. Nt intrested in irrelevant certifications. But with this implementation and global financial meltdown, it seems i hav to belong 2 a body 2 b considered 4 employment. When will rat race end. After this u cld nt b promoted because u no do Msc. or Mba. Abeg, Enterprenureship can be a better substitute to success. It is well.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Realsam(m): 9:20pm On May 04, 2009
Eran oba ti fe bere sir n je isu oba. Na them sabi.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Thadude(m): 11:07pm On May 04, 2009
What happens if u're a member and working in a non-banking field as a result of not been able to secure a bank job?

Would it be fair to say registered member should also not be allowed to work in a non-banking sector?,
It is only in Nigeria people make laws without considering the other side of the coin.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by danbasco(m): 11:26pm On May 04, 2009
i saw this coming, ! now the lawlessness begins, every organisation is craving for a niche , to be known, to be heard, to take control, bull sh, t
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by spoilt(f): 11:28pm On May 04, 2009
blah blah blah! grin
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by bigboyslim(m): 3:34am On May 05, 2009
omonua85:

It's no more enough to graduate 4rm Uni. 2 get employed. U hav to belong to one form of association to b taken seriously. But how wld u know what body to join when u are not in d system yet. It is this confusion that makes people take so many different certifications. I hav a friend who has ORACLE, JAVA, PROJECT MANAGEMENT, CISA, ICAN, MCA. Many of his certifications are irrelevant in his current job in an insurance company. I am currently serving (NYSC) and just need a job 4 just 2 yrs  to raise money and build contacts, so 4rm there start my biz. Nt intrested in irrelevant certifications. But with this implementation and global financial meltdown, it seems i hav to belong 2 a body 2 b considered 4 employment. When will rat race end. After this u cld nt b promoted because u no do Msc. or Mba. Abeg, Enterprenureship can be a better substitute to success. It is well.

The story of my life
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Tonyblu(m): 6:07am On May 05, 2009
To protect the Banking graduates?
But how many of them have the creativity to do the TYPE of THINGS these other non-Banking & Finanance graduates do to meet targets?
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by okpunor(m): 8:16am On May 05, 2009
@Poster,please be guided.The information did not not say that non members will no longer be employed or whatever into the bank,but rather for already bank staff(s) who are yet to register with CIBN have been compelled to do so.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by AmAlone: 8:54am On May 05, 2009
Hmmmmmmmm. . . .
Darsh Naaaaaaice. . .
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by busibodi(f): 8:56am On May 05, 2009
another stupid legacy from OBJ.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by FBS: 9:08am On May 05, 2009
dont even know what to say.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by haykay2005: 9:37am On May 05, 2009
get it right,u must be a chartered banker to head any technical department,not to be employed.anyway sha .GOD DEY.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by fransois2(m): 9:47am On May 05, 2009
It is about time, 
I hope they would not end up regretting this initiative and I trust my fellow Nigerians, the "structural adjustment" thing will come into play again. I can see many graduates rushing to obtain form.
PLEASE NOTE: "The act, mandated the CIBN to ensure that all bank workers are registered members of the institute. It also forbids non- members of the institute to head any technical department of a bank in Nigeria."
GOD BLESS THE GOOD PEOPLE OF NIGERIA  grin
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by kaghoe(m): 10:58am On May 05, 2009
so if person no be member of CIBN, im na ''quack''. na wa o. so after school, person must do CIBN if im dream na to work for bank, RIDICULOUS. They dont wanna spend money to train their staff, economic meltdown, more like a strategic move by the banks
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Gettolove(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2009
This is coming too late for our economy and banking industry. I dont think( I stand 2 b corrected) 50% of Naija banks' CEOS are QUALIFIED members of CIBN.

ARE GRADUATES WORRIED cry
You just have to register with CIBN before you can seek employment in any bank.This does not mean you must have finished all the stages of the institute's examination.
The implication is that, only those who have passed all the papers up to FINAL STAGE would be promoted.

More money for CIBN, subscription
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Phemzy(m): 1:13pm On May 05, 2009
@Poster

What about IT people that are working the bank, will they have to be CIBN members?

I think the act should only be applied to some department.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by ashaby(f): 1:19pm On May 05, 2009
Even in employing cleaners? God have mercy!
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by Phemzy(m): 3:16pm On May 05, 2009
ashaby:

Even in employing cleaners? God have mercy!

CIBN Membership only welcome graduate

It means that a cleaner must be minimum BSc in cleaning technology before applying for CIBN membership then before employment in the bank.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by smooooooth: 4:25pm On May 05, 2009
its normal, its happening in every sector. the melt down has started digging hole in pple's pockets and they are employing every means to make money. the institute just wants money. all they want is for every bank (non-certified) staff to come and get registered which involves money, and start paying membership dues, its not neccesary if you dnt pass the exams in 200years, as lond as you keep paying your annual subscription and remain a member.

a couple of guys came to my office today, said they are from ASHON. (association of stock broking houses of nigeria) never heard of that though. and they want us to come registered with 250,000 or else, cheesy

things wey financial crisis dey cause. God help us.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by porka: 2:03am On May 06, 2009
that law refers to HEAD OF TECHNICAL DEPARTMENTS. technical departments in the bank include, risk management, financial control, operations etc. please read again, HEAD OF TECHNICAL DEPARTMENTS. this is to sanitise the system. just like hospital departments heads are professionals; consultants, pharmacists etc.

as hospitals tend to the physical health of man, so do banks tend to the financial health of man.

weather it will solve the problem is just a guess. many chartered bankers/accountants head the collapse banks' technical departments and they collapsed anyway.
Re: CIBN Act: Banks To Employ Only CIBN Members by darqly(m): 8:12am On May 06, 2009
We'll all troop there and become student members, Bunch of my pals are killing themselves doing ICAN even when they CANT!
How many of us want to become CEOs and EDs sef?? I'm retiring early.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Site Safety Advisor/safety Officer/safety Supervisor/she / NEW: 2018 Meadow Hall Online Selection Test / UNIUYO Massive Recruitment For Academic And Non-academic Staff - 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.