Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity (1581 Views)

Pastors Should Stop Taking Our Churches Abroad - Daddy Freeze (VIDEO) / Ways Satan Manifests Himself In Our Churches Today / Pastor Marches On His Member: What Is Happening In Our Churches Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by iliyande(m): 7:00am On Oct 25, 2015
I am not against you having money. But I am adamantly against money having you.

Some adherents of the prosperity message are motivated by greed. For them, preaching Jesus is a means of financial gain, something Paul rebuked in the strongest possible terms, speaking of men “of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain” (1 Tim. 6:5).The problem is, there’s more to the story that the prosperity preachers fail to mention:

Jesus warned against storing up treasures on earth (Matt. 6:19-24) and covetousness (Luke 12:15).

Jesus emphasized caring for the poor (Matt. 25:31-46).

Paul and John both taught that we should not live according to this present age (1 Cor. 7:29-31; 1 John 2:15-17).

Jesus did not die to make us financially wealthy but to save us from our sins (Matt. 1:21).

God chose the poor to be rich in faith and kingdom heirs (James 2:5).

The prosperity preachers have ignored other biblical warnings, like Paul’s powerful words to Timothy: “Those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness” (1 Tim. 6:9-11).

Prosperity preachers encourage God’s people to seek after riches(by all means) —or to seek after God for the purpose of riches—often even judging your spirituality by the kind of car you drive. What does that have to do with the gospel of Jesus?

Yet many sincere believers embrace this message too—and back their case with Scripture. They point to the covenant blessings the Lord promised to Israel for their obedience, including financial prosperity (Deut. 28:1-13). They highlight verses in Proverbs and Psalms that link financial prosperity to generosity, hard work, godly living and faith (e.g., Ps. 112). They remind us of wonderful promises, such as those found in Proverbs 3:9-10—and how Jesus reiterated these in the New Testament with teachings such as, “Give, and it will be given to you” (Luke 6:38). And they quote Paul, who wrote about the financial principles of sowing and reaping (1 Cor. 9; 2 Cor. 8-9; Phil. 4:11-19).

Cc:lalasticlala, ishilove

1 Like

Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by jay2pee(m): 7:10am On Oct 25, 2015
na true
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:20am On Oct 25, 2015
And that is why I am sent to preach the True Gospel of Christ.

Another false Gospel preached by the false teachers is Jesus will fight witches and wizard for you. Jesus didn't come to fight witches and wizards.He didn't come as a mighty warrior but a Saviour. If you have believed such Gospel kindly renounce it now.The only Faith that can save you in Jesus, is Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God( Your God: The Son of God is God) sent to save you from sin and thus redeeming you from death: For if you don't sin then you can't die. If you don't have this Faith in him my brother you can't be saved.

Let him that is filthy be filthy still and him that is righteous be righteous still.

1 Like

Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by McCarlito(m): 7:21am On Oct 25, 2015
Op if u are against FINANCIAL PROSPERITY don't forget that... The LACK of MONEY is the ROOT of all evil

meanwhile I was told "The love of money if the root of all evil" undecided undecided undecided
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:22am On Oct 25, 2015
Cutehector your input is needed
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Cutehector(m): 7:23am On Oct 25, 2015
Mehn, sometimes I just stop and hav a rethink, where will I be on d last day...all these issues we kill ourselves here in nigeria will just pass away... The fashion, the cars, d pusruit for money, d hustling etc.. We just forget that which brings us inner peace.. Some times I'm like, instead of me doing all these vain things, why not I try putting a smile on one's face in d most little way ever..

The most important things in life are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, meekness, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:31am On Oct 25, 2015
McCarlito:
Op if u are against FINANCIAL PROSPERITY don't forget that...
The LACK of MONEY is the ROOT of all evil

meanwhile I was told "The love of money if the root of all evil" undecided undecided undecided
Brother prosperity doesn't require you to believe in Christ as a matter of fact it doesn't require you to believe in God. Pharaoh was wealthy yet he doesn't believe in God.What of Bill Gates,what you say of our Seun Osewa? None of them believes In God. Even the wealth of every Prosperity preachers put together is not 10% of Bill Gates wealth.And he doesn't believe in God.

We have law guiding our planet and when you work according to that law you get result.Of such is law is prosperity law: You want to prosper work hard and God will bless your work by the constant law of nature.

So preaching Christ as one who gives wealth is total gibberish believing doesn't makes any less than children of Hell like those who believe Jesus is the Son of God but reject him as God.

My brother believe the true Gospel of Christ I bring to you.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:33am On Oct 25, 2015
Cutehector:
Mehn, sometimes I just stop and hav a rethink, where will I be on d last day...all these issues we kill ourselves here in nigeria will just pass away... The fashion, the cars, d pusruit for money, d hustling etc.. We just forget that which brings us inner peace.. Some times I'm like, instead of me doing all these vain things, why not I try putting a smile on one's face in d most little way ever..

The most important things in life are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, meekness, etc.
That is what Christ to the world is but in Church they are taught to pray for their destruction. Deeper Life are the most wicked of Christian fellowship on earth.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Cutehector(m): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2015
Highcuerayte:
That is what Christ to the world is but in Church they are taught to pray for their destruction. Deeper Life are the most wicked of Christian fellowship on earth.
lol I'v not encountered their mode of worship so I won't judge anyone of them. Be that as it may, people ought to fear God.. The deeper life people are like d jews of africa... They place strict laws upon themselves which aint good.. Even d jews crucified Jesus, how much more, d deeper life faction will, should Jesus be born amongst dem.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2015
Churches these days are something else....

Were preferential treatments are given to the rich at the expense of the poor..

Were pastors task their member to pay fine irrespective of their finacially status...

Infact churches have neglected their initial purpose and now take to the purchase of material wealth or how else can one explain the so many churches in one room apartments and the propportional increase in crimes

Funny thing is they sure know how to quote bible passages in their favour,decieving gullible and the ever non suspecting congragation.s...sad
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 25, 2015
Highcuerayte:
cheesycheesy funny,you sound pained,it seems you have gat a story to tellwink
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:46am On Oct 25, 2015
Cutehector:
lol I'v not encountered their mode of worship so I won't judge anyone of them. Be that as it may, people ought to fear God.. The deeper life people are like d jews of africa... They place strict laws upon themselves which aint good.. Even d jews crucified Jesus, how much more, d deeper life faction will, should Jesus be born amongst dem.
Not judging really but using them to explain a point which anyone guilty of will now retreat their steps as they read this . Egoism is their lifestyle: they believe they are better than everyone because of the false Gospel they received from their shepherd Kumuyi.

Like you said we are to Love, that is what Christ command us to but instead we are hating ourselves (Christians) and others around us all because of the false Gospel we received from prominent self acclaimed supposedly True but false preacher of the Gospel.Among, is the Gospel of prosperity.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by McCarlito(m): 7:47am On Oct 25, 2015
Highcuerayte:
Brother prosperity doesn't require you to believe in Christ as a matter of fact it doesn't require you to believe in God. Pharaoh was wealthy yet he doesn't believe in God.What of Bill Gates,what you say of our Seun Osewa? None of them believes In God. Even the wealth of every Prosperity preachers put together is not 10% of Bill Gates wealth.And he doesn't believe in God.

We have law guiding our planet and when you work according to that law you get result.Of such is law is prosperity law: You want to prosper work hard and God will bless your work by the constant law of nature.

So preaching Christ as one who gives wealth is total gibberish believing doesn't makes any less than children of Hell like those who believe Jesus is the Son of God but reject him as God.

My brother believe the true Gospel of Christ I bring to you.
Nigerian preachers shy away from teaching Salvation as a criteria for Godliness but rather concentrate on Prosperity as a tool for the heavenly race...
Back the good old days; Salvation and true repentance has always been taught throughout our churches... but since the millennium all those teachings have all changed.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:49am On Oct 25, 2015
Jollyjoy:
cheesycheesy funny,you sound pained,it seems you have gat a story to tellwink
Anything that bring dishonour to the name of Christ makes me sad.If Christ is honoured am honoured if dishonored am dishonored. And my brethrens lifestyle from Deeper Life bring dishonour to the name of Christ in most or all ways.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 7:51am On Oct 25, 2015
McCarlito:

Nigerian preachers shy away from teaching Salvation as a criteria for Godliness but rather concentrate on Prosperity as a tool for the heavenly race...
Back the good old days; Salvation and true repentance has always been taught throughout our churches... but since the millennium all those teachings have all changed.
Such a shame but am not surprised it must be so for Christ to come. Remember the question, Will I find Faith on earth when I come? I guess He will find prosperity and not Faith.

1 Like

Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Cutehector(m): 7:57am On Oct 25, 2015
Highcuerayte:
Not judging really but using them to explain a point which anyone guilty of will now retreat their steps as they read this . Egoism is their lifestyle: they believe they are better than everyone because of the false Gospel they received from their shepherd Kumuyi.

Like you said we are to Love, that is what Christ command us to but instead we are hating ourselves (Christians) and others around us all because of the false Gospel we received from prominent self acclaimed supposedly True but false preacher of the Gospel.Among, is the Gospel of prosperity.
lmao.. Christ is d founder of my church, I am a catholic.. I strive to do that whch he commands despite our human flaws stll. Well, it is because of unemployment and poverty u see "pastors" springing up like grass. I had a problem wen I was in school, I tried findin an easy way out buh I later sacrificed my whole time to go through it. And nw I"v come out successful, den an acquaintance told me, lol shey nw u see hw fat u are, u hav forgotten all dat u passed tru in in school.. I smiled..

People forget dats hw it will be wen they will be in heaven and forget all dr sorrows on earth.. Buh mehn, evryone wants a quick way.. Sha its tru what u wrote ant d deeper life faction, I see dem as extremists of d christain life.

1 Like

Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by Highcuerayte: 8:06am On Oct 25, 2015
Cutehector:
lmao.. Christ is d founder of my church, I am a catholic.. I strive to do that whch he commands despite our human flaws stll. Well, it is because of unemployment and poverty u see "pastors" springing up like grass. I had a problem wen I was in school, I tried findin an easy way out buh I later sacrificed my whole time to go through it. And nw I"v come out successful, den an acquaintance told me, lol shey nw u see hw fat u are, u hav forgotten all dat u passed tru in in school.. I smiled..

People forget dats hw it will be wen they will be in heaven and forget all dr sorrows on earth.. Buh mehn, evryone wants a quick way.. Sha its tru what u wrote ant d deeper life faction, I see dem as extremists of d christain life.
Funny thing is Nigerians gullibility and potential naivety to believe without testing with the Scripture.
Re: Our Churches Today With Overemphasis On Prosperity by iliyande(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2015
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

NIGERIAN RELIGION ~ THE UNTOLD STORY OF A DIEING RELIGION / A Guy Got An Epic Reply For Saying Something Nice About Jesus / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens : Christ Our Rest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.